http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 03:14:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan - All Your Questions Are Belong to Us!  (Read 76503 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #760 on: May 17, 2008, 10:16:49 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 17, 2008, 09:43:10 PM

However my god the names so far are really bad.  Have seen ManMeat, FatPigGirl, and BeastLove.

Jesus. And one would assume that a M rated game wouldn't have that many 12-year olds playing it. Apparently I was totally wrong.

The devs just need to do a swath of bans. The remaining playerbase will be MUCH happier as a result.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #761 on: May 17, 2008, 10:27:52 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 17, 2008, 09:55:44 PM

Having a blast, graphics are much better, framerates are much better.

Mikagami, where are you?  We've got 4 people in Vent and no Bear Shaman slywink

Looks like the link that was posted here a few pages back was the download for the open beta, and not the early access client.
Trying to download the proper client now, hopefully I will be on soon.

Gonna eat your face
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: May 17, 2008, 10:34:48 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 17, 2008, 10:10:42 PM

Any updates on the horrible client? The open beta ran like complete crap, totally turned me off. I learned from AO shenanigans that funcom can't be trusted in what they say. So just looking to see if they actually runs now. I don't have a horrible system by any means.

Thankfully it's nothing like the Open Beta client.  They really made a mistake ever letting people see that horrid thing.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: May 17, 2008, 10:47:39 PM »

so there is hope, still gonna wait a month or 2 to see how things pan out.
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #764 on: May 17, 2008, 10:53:10 PM »

Weeeeeelp... it will take 5 hours for the client to download...

!$#$!-ing everything...

Gonna eat your face
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: May 17, 2008, 11:20:28 PM »

So am I missing something.  I don't see Anu.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: May 17, 2008, 11:26:43 PM »

Just played for about 3 hours and had no problems at all.  Ran at least as well as the closed beta had been and no client or server crashes or anything else. 

I ended up on a PvP server that one of my co-workers is on (Deathwhisper or something), but I'm not sure if I'll stay there.  Haven't had ganking problems (everyone is around the same level, of course), but even going to help somebody when they pull extra mobs, you end up swinging and hitting them usually.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #767 on: May 18, 2008, 12:01:01 AM »

Power just went out for a brief moment..  was enough to restart the pc's...
The Funcom downloader thing apparently does not support resuming....

Starting to get mighty pissed...

I'm gonna end up lv RETARDED compared to the rest of you by the time I get on...

Gonna eat your face
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #768 on: May 18, 2008, 12:05:55 AM »

Quote from: Mikagami on May 18, 2008, 12:01:01 AM

The downloader (the link provided a page or so back) is a torrent. It definitely supports resuming. I know, as I stopped it to move it to a port that's more open to my firewall. It also was the link that was provided for those in the EA plan, so I don't know why it isn't working now.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: May 18, 2008, 12:21:24 AM »

So am I missing something.  I don't see Anu.

Anu isn't one of the launch servers so we had to switch to Derketo.
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #770 on: May 18, 2008, 12:26:34 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 18, 2008, 12:05:55 AM

Quote from: Mikagami on May 18, 2008, 12:01:01 AM

The downloader (the link provided a page or so back) is a torrent. It definitely supports resuming. I know, as I stopped it to move it to a port that's more open to my firewall. It also was the link that was provided for those in the EA plan, so I don't know why it isn't working now.

Sexy, it did resume actually.
It just did the initial download to check the files I think.
Says I will be done in 3 hours .. le sigh...

Gonna eat your face
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: May 18, 2008, 12:40:27 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 17, 2008, 10:34:48 PM

Any updates on the horrible client? The open beta ran like complete crap, totally turned me off. I learned from AO shenanigans that funcom can't be trusted in what they say. So just looking to see if they actually runs now. I don't have a horrible system by any means.

Thankfully it's nothing like the Open Beta client.  They really made a mistake ever letting people see that horrid thing.

In OB I crashed every 10-20 minutes, pretty much every time a new area would load.  Mem crashes, random crashes, you name it.  Thus far in this client I played 4 hours straight without a single crash, played solo and in group, zoned back and forth many times, keeping fingers crossed this will last.

Not that I want to re-hash this, but again I will point out the Open BETA is/was still a beta, not a DEMO (nor was it advertised as such), and they were very clear they were testing lots of different things with that particular client.  And it appears whatever it was they were testing was fixed.  Miracles do happen!  It's too common these days to go into any sort of beta test and subconsciously treat it like a demo, then get bitchy and disappointed when it's buggy.  Was it a mistake to do that?  Only time will tell - if this release client is any indication, then it was probably worth their while to make whatever adjustments were necessary from what they learned at OB.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: May 18, 2008, 12:47:07 AM »

Oh yeah, in case anyone is interested, I was able to get the game running on my 2007 iMac running Windows XP, which only has 1GB of RAM and an on-board graphics chip (ATI 2400 XT equivalent).

It's pretty choppy and I had to turn everything to low and resolution to 1024x768, but it's just about playable if you can stand the 10-15ish FPS.
scandec
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: May 18, 2008, 01:04:11 AM »

I have the game running on my system at the low setting fairly well. Average of 20 or so fps.

4000+
BFG 6800 Ultra
2 gigs of RAM

I really need to upgrade. I have a list made up on newegg. Just can't get myself to pull the trigger.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: May 18, 2008, 01:05:18 AM »

Well I still have closed beta access. Logged in, created a new character to try, the beach intro video ended and...yep it crashed as usual. My monitor went dead as if it had been disconnected from my computer and it took me 3 reboots including a cold boot to get my computer working right again.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: May 18, 2008, 01:14:59 AM »

On the EA. Not one crash or any technical problems what so ever. lv9, almost 10.

Loving it.

E6875 dual core
8800 GTS
3 gig ram
Vista home...

1680x1050
High settings...DX-10
in the town around mid 30's
On the island you take the little row boat to mid 50's.
So not too bad.

Looks great.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 01:28:25 AM by Arclight » Logged

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #776 on: May 18, 2008, 01:22:46 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 18, 2008, 01:14:59 AM

On the EA. Not one crash or any technical problems what so ever. lv9, almost 10.

Loving it.

frown

Mike is a saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad panda...

Gonna eat your face
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 18, 2008, 01:25:20 AM »

Quote from: Mikagami on May 18, 2008, 01:22:46 AM

Loving it.

frown

Mike is a saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad panda...

Soon mikey, soon.

Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: May 18, 2008, 01:25:56 AM »

Loving it.

I have to concur with all the positive opinions so far for EA.  The client is running silky smooth and I have had no crashes so far after 1 hour of play.  

Krogoth *rawr* bear shaman
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #779 on: May 18, 2008, 01:41:55 AM »

I did get booted from the server once and had to wait in a queue for a couple minutes, but that's the extent of my problems.  Just hit level 12, but I need to get some food. 

I may even try installing it on my home computer tonight and see how it runs.  I want to keep playing!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: May 18, 2008, 01:44:45 AM »

so, you can level up pretty quickly I take it?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 18, 2008, 01:58:19 AM »

Resistance fading...

morlac00 on PSN
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 18, 2008, 02:48:03 AM »

I played for a few hours with no crashes, so that's all I have to say about the servers but I do have a question for others.  The new PvP ruleset, Culture PvP, that sounds like it is realm vs. realm which is what I think DAoC had and more or less what WoW's PvP is Horde vs. Alliance, so my question is the regular PvP servers in AoC are they everyman/guild for themselves regardless of race/realm?

Ok now my first impressions, I did the intro on rails Sp part of the game and I'm into the city where I have some of the world at large quests and some of the Sp instance quests ready to go.  The graphics seem to be on par with what I saw in LotRO last year but I'm not running in Vista atm so dx9 for me only.  I just hit the "High" setting under the graphics list and I'm running at 1920x1200 with a G80 8800GTS 640mb card and a 6750 dual core CPU and I'm getting around 20fps on average I'd say.  I haven't looked to see what the "High" setting turned on or off but I know not everything is maxed out and I may have turned the Bloom on.  I tried running in windowed mode but I didn't like it compared to WoW's full screen windowed mode.  I normally run 2 monitors and with WoW set to FS Window I can just mouse off the left side of the screen and be in Firefox on the other screen, AoC will let me do this as well but I get the borders around the game and I once accidentally dragged my game window half way off my screen and had to reposition it.  I would prefer the full screen window mode that WoW has and maybe it is an option in the advanced tab, I'll have to check.

I'm playing a melee character, I forgot the details but it wasn't the assassin class/sub class.  The combat is more interesting at this point than any other action RPG type of game like WoW or Diablo any click, click, click game in that you aren't just watching differrent bars and cooldowns as you fight but I'm sure you could do it that way it just wouldn't be efficient killing.  You actually watch the on screen combat action more with their system but so far just like I assumed the idea of attacking and defending at the same time seems like something not many will do.  The Combat is just too fast so far to actually try to defend and attack (meaning swing block, swing block) I think most people will just focus on the attacking directions and forget about defense at least until they are grouped and need to save a little time for a healer to help them.  The game doesn't have that seemless introduction into playing that WoW had/has where you were learning skills and combat without really noticing that more and more was being added.  I'm level 5 now and I've already received 4 special attacks of which 3 pretty much look the same on screen despite the descriptions and I'm not really sure when to use what, time will help but for a new MMO player many of which will be console players it piles on shit a bit quick.  The interface isn't as good as WoW's initial interface either the one it had in 2004 or the one it has now but I like it more than LotRO's which I hated for being small and everything looking too much alike.  The different icons in AoC could be more colorful and less busy so as to be instantly recognized in a bar of other icons with too much artwork on them as well but it's only been a few hours maybe I'll adjust.

This is the second MMO I noticed since playing WoW that made me appreciate how Blizzard allowed you to run into and out of buildings and different zones without loading screens that take you out of the world, LotRO and now AoC both make you sit through quick loading screens when entering buildings which sucks, I did play a bit of Tabula Rasa but I forgot how it handled this.

I do like the Sp approach to the start of this game despite the countless cut scene conversations that all seem to steer you to the same result no matter what numbered response you choose.  Not knowing jack shit about the world of Conan there seems to be a lot of info in these cutscenes if you care about story, if not you can click through them faster.

Last first impression I had was I did kill an animal mob and had blood splatter across my screen like blood on a window, and also I thought the cartoon women were supposed to be topless wenches what gives smile.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #783 on: May 18, 2008, 03:03:29 AM »

Quote from: Rich on May 18, 2008, 02:48:03 AM

I played for a few hours with no crashes, so that's all I have to say about the servers but I do have a question for others.  The new PvP ruleset, Culture PvP, that sounds like it is realm vs. realm which is what I think DAoC had and more or less what WoW's PvP is Horde vs. Alliance, so my question is the regular PvP servers in AoC are they everyman/guild for themselves regardless of race/realm?

Yup, outside of a city area you can stab anybody, regardless of race. 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #784 on: May 18, 2008, 03:13:00 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2008, 01:44:45 AM

so, you can level up pretty quickly I take it?

Well, considering I played for 5 hours, I don't think 12 out of 80 levels is too crazy.  The first 5 easily come within the first hour or less. 

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 18, 2008, 04:22:04 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 18, 2008, 12:40:27 AM

Quote from: Harkonis on May 17, 2008, 10:34:48 PM

In OB I crashed every 10-20 minutes, pretty much every time a new area would load.  Mem crashes, random crashes, you name it.  Thus far in this client I played 4 hours straight without a single crash, played solo and in group, zoned back and forth many times, keeping fingers crossed this will last.

Not that I want to re-hash this, but again I will point out the Open BETA is/was still a beta, not a DEMO (nor was it advertised as such), and they were very clear they were testing lots of different things with that particular client.  And it appears whatever it was they were testing was fixed.  Miracles do happen!  It's too common these days to go into any sort of beta test and subconsciously treat it like a demo, then get bitchy and disappointed when it's buggy.  Was it a mistake to do that?  Only time will tell - if this release client is any indication, then it was probably worth their while to make whatever adjustments were necessary from what they learned at OB.

Of course I understand what and how an open beta is, but when you put it up on a place like file planet, no matter what you call it, it's a demo.  People will see it as a demo and treat it as a demo.  You're much better off having it a completely closed beta if it's in the state that this OB was.  If I wasn't bored and looking for an MMO right now I would have passed based on what I saw combined with their history.  Instead I took a chance and am having a blast with a mostly smooth experience now that the servers are up.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 18, 2008, 04:23:45 AM »

Just racked up, i believe, 7 hours of play or so...

Made it to about level 15.6 or 15.7.  Kato is a beast...man is well into level 17 already, but i'm going to bed.

Blast so far...playing the pvp server with that group.  Most of our time so far has been in single player but with some outside group play to level up a bit (story gets hard if you go straight through and you'll likely have to go level a couple levels to level 15 at one point before progressing further.

So far, it's good...very good...running very very well and playing nicely..

Goodnight.
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #787 on: May 18, 2008, 04:38:56 AM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on May 18, 2008, 04:23:45 AM

Just racked up, i believe, 7 hours of play or so...

Made it to about level 15.6 or 15.7.  Kato is a beast...man is well into level 17 already, but i'm going to bed.

Blast so far...playing the pvp server with that group.  Most of our time so far has been in single player but with some outside group play to level up a bit (story gets hard if you go straight through and you'll likely have to go level a couple levels to level 15 at one point before progressing further.

So far, it's good...very good...running very very well and playing nicely..

Goodnight.

crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby

This sucks..  I will be playing catchup forever..

Gonna eat your face
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 18, 2008, 05:39:51 AM »

Quote from: Mikagami on May 18, 2008, 04:38:56 AM

This sucks..  I will be playing catchup forever..

+1, which is why I'm going with the Wanderers on the PvE server.

Because I can,
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #789 on: May 18, 2008, 07:01:28 AM »

3 effen am.. and it seems to be hardcore lagging on the last 2 gigs...   
I'm getting ridicilous slow download speed now..

Gonna eat your face
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #790 on: May 18, 2008, 07:22:57 AM »

Quote from: Mikagami on May 18, 2008, 07:01:28 AM

It's a torrent.  The fewer seeds the slower the speeds.  slywink

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 18, 2008, 10:26:32 AM »

Not good at reviews so I wont even try. But I think this game is a keeper. As you've all heard combat is a bit different from most MMO's. I like it for the fact it keeps you engaged in the moment.
Combos, abilities, direction of swing all make a difference. I'm a Guardian by the way so my views are from pure melee. I just picked up a throwing axe so now I have a way to pull single mobs rather than trying body-pulls.

You can die very easily if you don't pay attention. I'm lv14 and nothing is a given yet. Oh sure I can one-whack lv-5 mobs, but mobs at my level I have to make sure I don't try too many at once.

There are some un-polished things about the game. Exploring the land can be a bit frustrating. It doesn't take much to stop you from getting somewhere. Hills and such that you would see in other MMO's and not even think about, in AoC you probably will have to find an alternate route around.

But you guys know how it is very early in a new MMO...Alot of stuff that might be frustrating at first becomes second nature a few days or weeks in. On that note I am feeling a bit ham-fisted with combat and stuff, but I know that will come with time-played.

I haven't grouped yet, and haven't seen much chat concerning that. I hope to soon. It was my main reason for choosing a pure-tank in this game. Normally my choice of class is usually which one solo's the best. I'm trying to break out of my comfort zone in this game.

Graphics, well what can I say? Beautiful at times. I have it on high with DX-10, so not sure what it would look like any lower.
Love the accents on the NPC's. Man I was talking to one girl, ahem, well I should say, "whore"...but anyway she has this very sexy Russian type accent..
Some of them sound like they're from Jamaica, pretty funny.

I'm switching between Night and Day questing at the moment. Night is for your solo progression stuff..story line and such. Day time you can do solo stuff but its where you'll find others to group with.
I have been seeing a bit of competition for quest mobs..not too bad though considering.

Stability of this game is great. I know there are some who can't even get it to run. But I honestly haven't had one crash, one hiccup of anykind yet. Its running very smooth on my rig.

The music is great and the sounds of the jungle and towns are nice as well.

They have worked hard on this game and it shows. If they can get the subscriber base that I think they will this game should grow and mature into a mega hit.

I'm happy with this game and believe this will be my MMO home for some time to come.

If you love MMO's then you owe it to yourself to at least give this game a shot. You wont regret it.

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 18, 2008, 02:40:18 PM »

Really good news so far.  Thanks for the impressions.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 18, 2008, 02:50:21 PM »

I ran the game for 8 hrs last night and didn't experience any hiccups.  It was running smooth, good frame rates, much much lower load times.  My only complaint is that the instance population caps probably need to be lowered or spawn rates increased because there is too much competition for quest mobs/loot.  Never had this problem in closed beta.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 18, 2008, 04:45:34 PM »

Not sure I fully understand how to use the blocking\shield usage.
I know you can hit ctrl+1,2,3, or 4. But do you have to do it everytime you want to block? Or do you hit say ctrl +1 for left side block and it will automatically block that way?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: May 18, 2008, 05:16:49 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 18, 2008, 07:22:57 AM

chances are they're killing the torrent as soon as they get the download complete so it doesn't eat up any of of their bandwidth as they play.

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 18, 2008, 05:22:51 PM »

So I was playing and the game hard locked on me.  I rebooted my PC and now when I try to log in it says I have the wrong game version... news to me since I have been playing both yesterday and today, going to try a verify/repair and see what happens.  The install took me almost an hour and a half the first time, would rather not have to do it again.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #797 on: May 18, 2008, 05:24:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2008, 05:16:49 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 18, 2008, 07:22:57 AM

chances are they're killing the torrent as soon as they get the download complete so it doesn't eat up any of of their bandwidth as they play.

Yup.  I also found that I got better speeds by following their tips (from the 'about' page) to limit the upload to the minimum and turn the number of peers down (even though that second seems weird to me).  It more than tripled my speeds from around 110KB/s to 366 right now.  

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 18, 2008, 05:25:26 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 18, 2008, 04:45:34 PM

Not sure I fully understand how to use the blocking\shield usage.
I know you can hit ctrl+1,2,3, or 4. But do you have to do it everytime you want to block? Or do you hit say ctrl +1 for left side block and it will automatically block that way?

You don't have to do it everytime-think of them as functioning like the shields on the enterprise. They stay where you put them until you move them somewhere else. You can also hit x to actively block. This is difficult to time right to be of a lot of use in melee unless you practice a lot. It is quite useful, however, to hold down while waiting for your heal or spell to go off or to try and stay alive a few seconds longer while a heal gets landed on you.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 18, 2008, 05:26:53 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 18, 2008, 05:22:51 PM

So I was playing and the game hard locked on me.  I rebooted my PC and now when I try to log in it says I have the wrong game version... news to me since I have been playing both yesterday and today, going to try a verify/repair and see what happens.  The install took me almost an hour and a half the first time, would rather not have to do it again.

This was a common bug in beta. Typically, just exiting the client and restarting it was enough to fix it.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: