http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 05:13:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan - All Your Questions Are Belong to Us!  (Read 74684 times)
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: May 16, 2008, 02:11:15 AM »

I don't see it that way.  The are not obliged to give testers a stable server.  They are treating it like a test server and probably deploying various branches of the code.  For anyone not familiar with versioning in software development, you don't always just iterate on 1 version number.  Sometimes you create splits and end up with a tree hierarchy of versions.  And then you have to figure out how to merge the tree.  I know FC does it this way too since a dev posted about it.

The last patch notes I saw specifically warned that beta was going from a "free preview" type of play to a true test bed. They are fully aware that the test builds out there now are not necessarily as stable or as good performance-wise as previous beta builds.
newcastle

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 16, 2008, 02:25:28 AM »

I was thinking about going with the pre board early this week but got to it too late. i saw also on the forum that the dev's stated they ahd a set limit of folks to go into the pre-board, and that # was exceeded early this week...he said to the week that it had "spiked". Now, that sounds to me as if there is a huge audience waiting for this game to come out. The cynic in me is also saying that it could just be a ploy....but I think it bodes well for it's future sucess provided they are able to create a stable launch and a good game build on it's release.

I am kicking around with the idea of buying a copy of it and going in on Tuesday. Again just kicking the idea around. Not sure if I want to wait a while or hop in at the begining. We'll see....also is there any crafting in the game? I can't seem to find anything that says so one way or another.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #642 on: May 16, 2008, 02:33:37 AM »

Quote from: newcastle on May 16, 2008, 02:25:28 AM

I was thinking about going with the pre board early this week but got to it too late. i saw also on the forum that the dev's stated they ahd a set limit of folks to go into the pre-board, and that # was exceeded early this week...he said to the week that it had "spiked". Now, that sounds to me as if there is a huge audience waiting for this game to come out. The cynic in me is also saying that it could just be a ploy....but I think it bodes well for it's future sucess provided they are able to create a stable launch and a good game build on it's release.

I think they had already said that judging by preorders they were expecting around 500,000 people for launch week.  That's a shit load of people hammering the servers.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 16, 2008, 06:40:08 AM »

Well Im still trying. I get in a little bit of play each day between the bugs and crashes. Wish it worked..seems really fun. But this is the buggiest / crashiest beta Ive ever played that was this close to being on shelves. Just horrid. Im very wotrried about how it will be recieved come launch. People will either give it time because of it's setting and promise of fun or it will die quickly and be remembered as a failure. I hope it succeeds. Id like to play it someday when it finished next year smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 16, 2008, 07:22:29 AM »

Gotta remember, they're often testing regressed/etc code rather than necessarily what they're intending to put out for the 'release'. Aka, they may have some much better working code hammered out, but they're testing some other facet that's only present in the current code.

Aka, give it a little time. It won't be perfect. It never is. But Funcom has a history of sticking with it, rather than simply sitting on their keisters.

Atomic
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: May 16, 2008, 07:45:57 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 16, 2008, 02:33:37 AM

Quote from: newcastle on May 16, 2008, 02:25:28 AM

I think they had already said that judging by preorders they were expecting around 500,000 people for launch week.  That's a shit load of people hammering the servers.

Ahh but wait. Im not sure if I'm a masochist or still just burned out from my acid trips back in the day..........but I love opening day jitters and excitement. Yeah, all the crap associated with it for me is a bit exciting and adds to the pleasure of starting a new MMO that should do well.
You know its temporary, you know that somewhere down the line you'll log in more out of habit than anticipation...........but in the mean time the newness and excitment are part of what I love about a new MMO..

Now back to watching the pretty colours my hands are making as I wave them about.......... retard

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 16, 2008, 04:00:43 PM »

getting frustrated with their website.  can't add my key.  it let me in once when I was checking and I noticed it didn't have my rhino on it so I was going to add it and the site won't respond now.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 16, 2008, 04:20:11 PM »

I wish you all good luck and hope it works for you. I have big fears about it but I can hope. Maybe someday I will join you..probably about the time all of you get bored and start leaving smile

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 16, 2008, 05:01:02 PM »

Ehhh I am vaguely tempted to try this, but the one thing that you all have said that really worries me is the PVP ganking-that bugs me that I could get to a zone and not be able to get out in between ganking. So I guess my point is that if I do try it I will likely wander to a PVE server.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 05:02:37 PM by Calvin » Logged
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 16, 2008, 05:05:55 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on May 16, 2008, 05:01:02 PM

Ehhh I am vaguely tempted to try this, but the one thing that you all have said that really worries me is the PVP ganking-that bugs me that I could get to a zone and not be able to get out in between ganking. So I guess my point is that if I do try it I will likely wander to a PVE server.

Yeah, in case it wasn't clear, the majority of players here opted to stay with a standard server (zone ganking free) - see AoC Wanderers thread.  As mentioned in other posts, though, this does not mean we won't be participating in all the major PvP options (sieging, etc). 

Hope to see you there!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 16, 2008, 08:24:05 PM »

Ok, I have my account created, and it says I have early access... can I install the game from the DVDs since I already have my collectors edition?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #651 on: May 16, 2008, 09:22:15 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 16, 2008, 08:24:05 PM

Ok, I have my account created, and it says I have early access... can I install the game from the DVDs since I already have my collectors edition?

Yup. Let me know if you can patch though - I haven't been able to patch all morning.

EDIT: Of course, now that I say that, I can patch.  disgust

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 16, 2008, 09:40:50 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 16, 2008, 09:22:15 PM

Yup. Let me know if you can patch though - I haven't been able to patch all morning.

EDIT: Of course, now that I say that, I can patch.  disgust

Nice, gonna do that then since I still have 14 hours on my download.
newcastle

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 16, 2008, 10:08:23 PM »

has anyone seen this at any store  yet? can we buy it early you think?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #654 on: May 16, 2008, 10:58:22 PM »

Quote from: newcastle on May 16, 2008, 10:08:23 PM

People have been picking it up from GameStop if they had a preorder (not sure if they are on the shelf yet, though I might assume so). 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 17, 2008, 12:22:34 AM »

I picked up my collectors edition today.  Although I do believe I got the shaft as they just gave me the war mammoth card that also gave me early access, but early access is sold out.  Got a hard cover book by Roy Thomas with excerpts form Conan stories or some such thing.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 17, 2008, 12:46:47 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 16, 2008, 10:58:22 PM

Quote from: newcastle on May 16, 2008, 10:08:23 PM

People have been picking it up from GameStop if they had a preorder (not sure if they are on the shelf yet, though I might assume so). 

I got mine from GS today too.  Of course now they were handing out the cards with the Early Access.  This is the first time they've dropped the ball in a long time.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 17, 2008, 03:18:37 AM »

Patched for the closed beta and got a 744 meg patch today and they say there will be more.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 17, 2008, 03:42:08 AM »

Quote from: drifter on May 17, 2008, 03:18:37 AM

Patched for the closed beta and got a 744 meg patch today and they say there will be more.

Just started up the conan patcher again, and another large patch. I noticed dx10 support (inside video options) is in now.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 17, 2008, 04:20:07 AM »

Quote from: skystride on May 16, 2008, 01:59:14 AM

Quote from: Jafisob on May 16, 2008, 12:55:39 AM

Quote from: drifter on May 15, 2008, 11:48:43 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on May 15, 2008, 05:31:19 PM

Well my main beta character was 1 bubble from lvl 10 and entered night side and crashed. Since then I cannot log that one back in..just crashes when i try. ARGH. Had to make 2 noobies to play. Even though i picked hair they are both bald. sigh. Now the servers are down for 2 more hours i think for the shader 2.0 being broken. This is not something I will buy. It would be so damn cool if it was fixed / complete.

It is listed in the known issues are the screen shown when logging in that new characters will not show hair or tattoo's.

It is a little scary that they can't keep their test servers up consistently and they keep introducing/re-introducing significant bugs in every build.

I don't see it that way.  The are not obliged to give testers a stable server.  They are treating it like a test server and probably deploying various branches of the code.  For anyone not familiar with versioning in software development, you don't always just iterate on 1 version number.  Sometimes you create splits and end up with a tree hierarchy of versions.  And then you have to figure out how to merge the tree.  I know FC does it this way too since a dev posted about it.

This has nothing to do with a sense of obligation.

After 20 years in IT I know a little about this from personal experience.  You?  For anyone not familiar with IT and successful software releases: Right before a major release you usually test the final version that you are going to release with as close to production volumes and conditions as you can manage.  Sure you can roll the dice if things are not working out, test a bunch of stuff in a hurry, try to bring it all together at the last second and hope you don't get unlucky.  Based on some aspects of AoC it is evident that Funcom has some very talented people working for them so they may be able to pull it all together.   I have seen shakey releases come together at the end and I have seen some crash and burn.  I am hopeing Funcom can release a relatively stable product.   The game has improved dramatically in the last couple weeks so they are on the right track.

Honestly they should have had the final client working smoothly with identified issues and bugs to attack in testing after release and all be catching up on sleep right now and not be doing dozens of hotfixes to their test servers at the last second.

Again, the level of bugs being re-introduced/introduced with some of the builds and the fact that they evidently still don't have the final release version this close to release would make most experienced people a little wary. 

I am really looking forward to the game coming out and being successful.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: May 17, 2008, 04:56:45 AM »

Quote from: Jafisob on May 17, 2008, 04:20:07 AM

After 20 years in IT I know a little about this from personal experience.  You?

17 years and I am frequently deploying software used by millions of people so I can sort of relate although MMO is a whole another animal and I have no experience with game development.  In my experience it is often business that sets unrealistic dates and then the PM has to make the best of the situation.  From having seen the state of other MMOs at launch, I think it's fair to expect an unfinished product at launch.  It is ok to go to production with QA signing off on known bugs that will be handled after launch.  What you call a successful software release might not apply the same way to MMOs.  I mean, most other software don't get patched multiple time every month.  Success might just be measured by the amount of downtime, game stopping bugs etc.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 17, 2008, 05:35:14 AM »

Ive got my fingers crossed for you guys.

Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 17, 2008, 05:46:05 AM »

Quote from: skystride on May 17, 2008, 04:56:45 AM

Quote from: Jafisob on May 17, 2008, 04:20:07 AM

After 20 years in IT I know a little about this from personal experience.  You?

17 years and I am frequently deploying software used by millions of people so I can sort of relate although MMO is a whole another animal and I have no experience with game development.  In my experience it is often business that sets unrealistic dates and then the PM has to make the best of the situation.  From having seen the state of other MMOs at launch, I think it's fair to expect an unfinished product at launch.  It is ok to go to production with QA signing off on known bugs that will be handled after launch.  What you call a successful software release might not apply the same way to MMOs.  I mean, most other software don't get patched multiple time every month.  Success might just be measured by the amount of downtime, game stopping bugs etc.

So right before a major release you don't lock down a final version and test that in an environment as close to real volumes/conditions as you can get?  You have people working all night on multiple versions of the software hoping to be able to merge everything into a final stable release a few hours before the deadline?

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 17, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »

let me get this straight - If you can have early acces, because you have the CE?? its closed everyelse and Funcom arent letting anymore in?

A new one
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 17, 2008, 10:25:02 AM »

Hold onto your hat Dorothy, we're about to leave Kansas.

What weird, whacky, and wonderful stuff will this initial day of play bring?

Stay tuned kids.
Same bat channel
Same bat day...............

Let the game begin!!!

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 17, 2008, 10:39:57 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 17, 2008, 10:14:00 AM

let me get this straight - If you can have early acces, because you have the CE?? its closed everyelse and Funcom arent letting anymore in?

I bought a preorder box from best buy yesterday as well as picked up a collecters edition from gamestop.  When I entered my best buy preorder code to create my account it gave me the option to "buy" the early access.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 17, 2008, 10:45:18 AM »

Spells and Combos 1 through 80. Pick the class from the left top of page.

http://www.hybes.de/abilities.php

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 17, 2008, 11:37:36 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 17, 2008, 10:39:57 AM

I bought a preorder box from best buy yesterday as well as picked up a collecters edition from gamestop.  When I entered my best buy preorder code to create my account it gave me the option to "buy" the early access.

okay, and that worked?? Ugh, I dont understand at all what Funcom is doing...they stated that on the 15th of may the EA was closed...

can I have your code?  slywink

A new one
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 17, 2008, 11:39:44 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 17, 2008, 11:37:36 AM

Quote from: Arkon on May 17, 2008, 10:39:57 AM

okay, and that worked?? Ugh, I dont understand at all what Funcom is doing...they stated that on the 15th of may the EA was closed...

can I have your code?  slywink

Not sure to be honest.  I wonder if they allocated them to the various preorder locations and perhaps the gamestop one is the EA that sold out?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 17, 2008, 11:43:38 AM »

Doesnt seem like it?

Hello everyone. We here at Funcom are extremely happy with the demand that has been for our Early Access program. That demand has been so immense, that we are now sold out! We know that several people will be unhappy to not receive their Early Access time, but please bear with us in the remaining days. So:

All English Early Access has sold out
Some Early Access still available in Germany and France
All Virtual items work will work on valid pre-order keys
Pre-orders on accounts that was later cancelled will have their keys/account disabled

Thank you and look forward to seeing you all in Hyboria very shortly!

oh well - I can wait a week :-)

A new one
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #670 on: May 17, 2008, 12:37:47 PM »

Is the game functioning for anybody?
I keep getting a "connecting to authentication server" message when i try to log in, at which point it says it is unable to connect.

Edit: Is the account login information the same as the game user name and password? Or am I punching in the wrong information here.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 12:49:05 PM by Mikagami » Logged

Gonna eat your face
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 17, 2008, 01:00:44 PM »

Quote from: Mikagami on May 17, 2008, 12:37:47 PM

Is the game functioning for anybody?
I keep getting a "connecting to authentication server" message when i try to log in, at which point it says it is unable to connect.

Edit: Is the account login information the same as the game user name and password? Or am I punching in the wrong information here.

Don't think it is up yet.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 17, 2008, 01:04:30 PM »

I believe it's down right now for final launch preparations....patch server has been up and down throughout the last few days but they said it would be that way while they made launch preparations.

I think it goes live several hours from now still...
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 17, 2008, 01:16:05 PM »

1 pm EST.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #674 on: May 17, 2008, 02:10:08 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 17, 2008, 01:16:05 PM

1 pm EST.

I heard 12PM EST, or 9AM PST.

*shrugs*

And as stated above (somewhere in this post), I got in after EA had been closed off, and I used a EA key from Gamestop. *shrugs*

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: May 17, 2008, 02:42:12 PM »

1pm est is correct...according to the official idiots...
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 17, 2008, 02:51:22 PM »

Good luck to you guys :-)

gah, one thing I DO hate, is when the tech support just slams out a random mail as a response to a ticket, without bothering to read what the heck it was about aft er all...Funcom just did that - after 9 days they responded, with a standard mail (approx one full screen of text) saying how sorry they are not everyone can enter the EA.

so...thats just fine, but..that wasnt what my ticket was about..sigh

Anyways, hopefully, I'll be joining the crowd of euro players here next friday, when my game arrives :-)

A new one
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 17, 2008, 03:01:55 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on May 17, 2008, 02:42:12 PM

1pm est is correct...according to the official idiots...

Bah, I had my whole morning free to play...
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 17, 2008, 04:19:25 PM »

Ok guys. Start time draws near. Lets do a preliminary check list here.

1. Wife at work? check
2. House empty of all others? check
3. Dog fed? check
4. Colostomy bag attached? check
5. Coffee pot ready to go? check
6. Phone off the hook? check
7. Pray for favor on initial start up? check

Ok, ready to roll.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 17, 2008, 04:21:49 PM »

just remember guys, we need you to get all the server crashes out of the way by Tuesday night, OK?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: