http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 05:24:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan - All Your Questions Are Belong to Us!  (Read 75700 times)
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 10, 2008, 02:18:59 AM »

We shouldn't judge the game's PvP class balance based on the beta builds. Every MMO has major class tweaks post-launch, and Conan will be no exception. WoW is STILL tweaking classes, over 3 years post-launch.
Vindel_7
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 10, 2008, 05:02:30 AM »

Well the new patch worked like a charm for me. Very little to if none at all stalling. I am getting around 10-15 more fps.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 10, 2008, 05:57:06 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 09, 2008, 10:10:35 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on May 09, 2008, 09:14:55 PM

Im IN closed beta..its what wont run. Heck the game was final a week ago and is at the shippers now ready to go out I bet. It wont be any better than what Im not getting to play now.

Considering they just released a 540 meg patch (that I'm guessing you never downloaded) I think it will be quite improved from the version on the disc.  I'll eat my hat if they don't release at least another patch before live. 

Im up to date as of the time of the post you quoted. It was the latest big patch unless they released one today late sometime.

And I posted the problems Im having in their tech forum. Their bug report wouldn't even work for me. I even ran 2 of the check all files thing and compress archive thing or whatever..it finishes up, says there were 0 errors, then when I click ok it gives me a windows send / dont send error box.

SIGH.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 10, 2008, 06:15:51 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 10, 2008, 05:57:06 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 09, 2008, 10:10:35 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on May 09, 2008, 09:14:55 PM

Im IN closed beta..its what wont run. Heck the game was final a week ago and is at the shippers now ready to go out I bet. It wont be any better than what Im not getting to play now.

Considering they just released a 540 meg patch (that I'm guessing you never downloaded) I think it will be quite improved from the version on the disc.  I'll eat my hat if they don't release at least another patch before live. 

Im up to date as of the time of the post you quoted. It was the latest big patch unless they released one today late sometime.

And I posted the problems Im having in their tech forum. Their bug report wouldn't even work for me. I even ran 2 of the check all files thing and compress archive thing or whatever..it finishes up, says there were 0 errors, then when I click ok it gives me a windows send / dont send error box.

SIGH.

Man, you sure have the worst luck with these things.

Ale
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 10, 2008, 06:41:12 AM »

It sure sems like it. The tech forum is HUGE and filling up fast each day.

Heres my typical try at running it...

STart it up and the intro videos try to play..I see nothing but can hear the sound stutter stutter stut stu tter tter ing ing sttutering....I hit escape over and over to pass them. Ok now im logging in..theres my character..nothings moving..wait...grass moves...5 seconds...grass moves...5 seconds..grass moves...5 seconds..I hit ESC to bring up the menu...30 seconds to 1 minute later it pops up...I click on OPTIONS...10 seconds pass..OPTIONS word highlights....10 seconds pass..OPTIONS menu opens....click an adjustment......10 seconds pass..adjustment highlights....10 seconds...adjustment takes hold...no change........

It does that EVERY time..I cant play ..I cant even adjust it because it takes 5 minutes to get anything done in the menu even..the whole game is creeping at 1 frame per 5 seconds or worse. Today I opened the more detailed options with ctrl-shift-C and I couldn't exit that screen..the next time I exited...saw my character take 2 steps in 10 seconds and then I was looking at my desktop instantly. Shrug.

Its beyond me why it hates me. I think Id love the game..hell Id buy it if it worked for me. As is I cant find a solution for it. Ive scanned the tech forum for days and tried to send bug reports. When I actually get the bug report box open I cant close it or type in it or anything..I have to ctrl-alt-del to kill it and recieve a send / dont send windows error box for my trouble. You'd think its my system but nothing other than the Conan beta gives me a fit.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 06:43:01 AM by Daehawk » Logged

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: May 10, 2008, 07:32:30 AM »

There must be something in your system that doesnt go well with the game, Daehawk - the game runs nicely for me, for what its worth.

Only thing I'm complaining about, is every time I Want to play, the servers will "close down in 5 minutes" like right now...sigh..

A new one
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 10, 2008, 08:42:12 AM »

I'm in open beta.

System:

Core 2 Duo (6600)
Geforce 8800GTX
2GB Ram
2xRaptor in raid 0
Latest forceware beta drivers
Dual OS (Vista/XP)

I used to have similar problems to Daehawk when I ran it in Vista (SP1/32-bit), but after switching to XP (SP3/32-bit) it ran pretty well. Very smooth and minimal stalling outside, but pretty bad inside dungeons or instances - as it would often stall while seemingly loading textures/shader effects. After the latest patch (9th may), it runs smooth both inside and outside - regardless of operating system.

I don't think it's memory related, as I've checked Task Manager and at all times I've had plenty of free memory available when stalling set in.

Load times were horrible in Vista (Fine now - after patch), but were always relatively fast under XP - and when I say fast, I mean ala EQ2 which is more like acceptable than fast. It's not something I will have a problem with, but it's still a little annoying and is a detriment to the immersion factor. I'm a seamless world freak, so that's a factor of course.

It should be noted that I've tuned Vista as well as I could, disabling all services that get in the way of performance or free memory. Most other games run ok, but XP was always smoother for me - no matter what anyone says. I keep Vista installed for DX10 applications and I find it a pleasant work OS, but it'll be a good while before I get rid of XP.

It's obvious that SOME people are still experiencing horrible stalling, and I suspect it's the same kind of issue that I USED to have - which is pretty confusing to me. For each patch, the amount of people experiencing awful stalling and crashes SEEMS to diminish, but who can say. I'm simply judging by the impression I get from reading Global chat and the forums.

As for overall stability/quirkyness, I'd say this game is almost ready for release - but that's based only on the first 13 levels. A few technical glitches remain, like visual corruption when stealthing - wearing certain armors. But for the most part, it's pretty smooth and stable now.

I won't get into the game itself, other than to say I think it has HUGE potential and that I'm having more pure fun with this beta than I remember having during the same early stages in any other MMO. I'm tired of WoW and have been for a long time, and though other MMOs have been "ok" (like LOTRO), nothing has had me this excited for years. Conan has a real shot at becoming the best MMO yet, and I'm going to support it until I have a reason to doubt the developers.

I highly recommend checking it out - and for those here who know me, it's no small thing when DArtagnan likes a game well enough to say such things. Just forget about the Hellgate incident smile
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 08:47:15 AM by DArtagnan » Logged
MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 10, 2008, 02:19:48 PM »

I'm in open beta and I have installed the latest patch but I'm still having horrible problems with stalling.

My specs are:

E6600 oc to 3.0ghz
ATI X1900xt 256mb
2gb memory
Vista Home Premium

My computer should be at or close to the recommended specs but I have lowered everything to low settings at 1024x768 and still my fps are often under 10fps. Usually my fps will be around 50-60fps but if anyone gets remotely close to my character then I see a dramatic drop in fps.  I'm thinking that Vista may need more than 2gb for this game and that xp users with similiar specs don't notice any serious problems.   I don't have xp so I can't test that theory and I really don't want to turn all of the vista services off just to play this game.  If the game is still messed up on release then I'll upgrade the memory.  Upgrading my video card is my next option but I should be able to at least play on low rez with the card that I have.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 10, 2008, 02:28:33 PM »

Game ran fine for me before the latest PVP patch, and now, its basically unplayable - lag, graphics distorted and crashed on the use of the Escape button to acces option...

dual core intel 2.4 ghz, 3 gigs of ram, Nvidia 8600m GT, Vista home premium

A new one
Vindel_7
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 10, 2008, 03:39:21 PM »

Same as the two posters above mine...game ran fantastic yesterday but today after the PvP and open world patch the game has become unplayable. Multiple crashes, unable to open settings and has become a lag fest. *shrugs*
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 10, 2008, 03:51:38 PM »

well, managed to get the game to run now...now its only players that makes the game unplayable..

basically, its just everyone killing everyone now...very fun...NOT!

Well, at least the 12 year old twitch-gods who plays 50 hours a week have a place to be - where I am not...only sad thing is, the only RP servers, are PVP as well...really nice..

Its IMPOSSIBLE to quest...you'll get griefed wherever you go..

the pvp servers are definitely NOT for casual gamers

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 10, 2008, 04:44:37 PM »

The crash when opening the options menu is a known bug and the workaround is posted in the patch notes.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 10, 2008, 05:40:11 PM »

IMO:  Having a negative opinion of the prospects of a game based on something in beta is justified if that game's release is imminent.   

I have beta tested many mmorpgs and the final couple weeks of beta is fairly close to the released product.  Many of these games are solid and relatively bug free before release.  If a game creates a miracle patch the last week of testing that just means that they were lucky.  I have done a lot of IT development, although not in games, and last minute crap trying to fix major bugs with minimal testing creates risk which allows you to be lucky but also allows you to be very unlucky.  Before this last patch the game was essentially unplayable unless you completely neutered the game graphics, changed drivers, changed the game to only run on one CPU, etc. and then it was still not particularly playable for many people.  The constant crashes, hitches, and other bugs gave a strong negative impression for a product with less than 2 weeks to launch.

That being said it looks like Funcom produced a patch that does dramatically improve the game's performance although there are still a fair amount of crash bugs, difficult untuned early zones, lack of later content(not personally observed) and other types of bugs.

The game is still has an NDA for 13+ gameplay with less than a week to go.  It does not seem like Funcom has a lot of confidence in their own game.

I do like AoC and find the game is very compelling when it is working.  Funcom seems to have some genius developers as I see flashes of brilliance in AoC(which I also saw in AO).   A pre-order will let me play for 10 days before I buy so I am hopeful that it will turn out alright.

Quote from: Razgon on May 10, 2008, 03:51:38 PM

well, managed to get the game to run now...now its only players that makes the game unplayable..

basically, its just everyone killing everyone now...very fun...NOT!

Well, at least the 12 year old twitch-gods who plays 50 hours a week have a place to be - where I am not...only sad thing is, the only RP servers, are PVP as well...really nice..

Its IMPOSSIBLE to quest...you'll get griefed wherever you go..

the pvp servers are definitely NOT for casual gamers

Any level based PvP game is not fun to play for most people if those people have less time than the majority of game's population.  This is exacerbated by free for all pvp.  They are opening PvP servers a month or so before summer break so the school kids who already have more time than older folks are going to be totally out of control.  If you have a job and low tolerance for being griefed I strongly suggest avoiding those types of servers.  Even if you have a lot of time on your hands and don't mind being griefed you still may want to avoid these servers if you dislike of an immature player base.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 05:51:01 PM by Jafisob » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 10, 2008, 06:13:31 PM »

I should post my full specs..

AMD FX-53
2 gig PC3200 XMS
BFG GeForce 7800GS 256 AGP with driver 169.21 (latest for this series card)
Asus A8V Deluxe mobo
Corsair HX550W psu
Win XP with SP2

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 10, 2008, 07:10:16 PM »

Is the early download of the head start still slated for the 10th of May or 14th. I keep hearing conflicting stories.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 10, 2008, 07:39:29 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 10, 2008, 07:10:16 PM

Is the early download of the head start still slated for the 10th of May or 14th. I keep hearing conflicting stories.

10th for australians, later for the rest of the world

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 10, 2008, 07:44:55 PM »

btw, the NDA only covers 13-20 story content.  Not post 20 content now that it's in Open Beta

There is no longer a level cap in OB
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 10, 2008, 09:17:20 PM »

The NDA is still in effect for anything on servers listed as ClosedBeta...
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 10, 2008, 10:17:31 PM »

I just fired it up and took a screenshot. 2200+ latency and 0.5 frames per second. Even when the latency is 200+ and green with 15+ frames per seconds I still cant move..just jump from one place to the next and not be able to do anything.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 10, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 10, 2008, 10:17:31 PM

I just fired it up and took a screenshot. 2200+ latency and 0.5 frames per second. Even when the latency is 200+ and green with 15+ frames per seconds I still cant move..just jump from one place to the next and not be able to do anything.

Format C:\
Start from scratch..........

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: May 10, 2008, 11:33:39 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 10, 2008, 11:28:00 PM

hehe no thanks. Everything else runs fine.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 11, 2008, 01:10:15 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 10, 2008, 11:33:39 PM

Quote from: Arclight on May 10, 2008, 11:28:00 PM

hehe no thanks. Everything else runs fine.

I feel for ya buddy. When you try everthing and there just isn't any reason why it shouldn't be running well, thats frustrating to be sure.
I hope that its not a long term problem and that you can enjoy AoC sometime soon.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 11, 2008, 06:14:56 AM »

I just tried to play..4300ms 0.2 frames per second. ARGH. A 10 meg cable modem with no problems at all cept AoC  icon_evil

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 11, 2008, 12:27:15 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 11, 2008, 06:14:56 AM

I just tried to play..4300ms 0.2 frames per second. ARGH. A 10 meg cable modem with no problems at all cept AoC  icon_evil

" press attack button......go in kitchen put the coffee on, go cas up the family car and run it through the car-wash....sit back down at the computer just in time to see you character swing his axe."

Unplayable to be sure at that speed.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 11, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »

OK, just over a week until the game comes out and I'm still feeling pretty ambivalent about it.  Is there anything out there than can get me excited again?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: May 11, 2008, 06:11:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 11, 2008, 05:18:00 PM

OK, just over a week until the game comes out and I'm still feeling pretty ambivalent about it.  Is there anything out there than can get me excited again?

I'm enjoying the heck out of the game. I haven't played it too much as of late (as it's due out in like a week or so), but I'm definitely picking it up at launch.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 11, 2008, 08:17:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 11, 2008, 05:18:00 PM

Boobies!!!  Head chopping!!!  Boobies!!!!  Blood splatter all over your screen!!!  blood scattered over boobies!!  Mounted combat!!  Boobies on mounted combat!!!  Rhinos!!!  Mammoths!!!  Guild battles!!  Build your own city!!  Prostitutes in your own city!!!  More boobies!!!  Did I mention the boobies?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 11, 2008, 09:12:57 PM »

I envy you all. I cant pin down my system's problem with this one.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 11, 2008, 09:49:47 PM »

link was put up on the IGN boards..for early access...http://funcom.cachefly.net/AoC-US-EarlyAccess.exe

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 11, 2008, 10:38:31 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 11, 2008, 09:49:47 PM

link was put up on the IGN boards..for early access...http://funcom.cachefly.net/AoC-US-EarlyAccess.exe

Right on Arclight! Downloading the whole client now and it should be done in about 6 hours (13.7 gig download)

Had a blast playing with Harkonis during the FFA PVP Beta Ending Event.  It was just the two of us, but we pretty much destroyed anyone we came across  icon_twisted icon_twisted 

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 11, 2008, 10:39:59 PM »

What type of server you guys planning on?

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 11, 2008, 10:49:35 PM »

Ok wasn't sure what cachefly.net is and direct executable links scare me but that appears to be legitimate.  Thanks!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 11, 2008, 11:51:07 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on May 11, 2008, 10:38:31 PM

Right on Arclight! Downloading the whole client now and it should be done in about 6 hours (13.7 gig download)

Had a blast playing with Harkonis during the FFA PVP Beta Ending Event.  It was just the two of us, but we pretty much destroyed anyone we came across  icon_twisted icon_twisted 

grabbing it too just in case.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 12, 2008, 08:27:37 AM »

thanks a lot!! And holy moses, its a fast download!!

A new one
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 12, 2008, 08:59:09 AM »

Got mine in 2 hours smile

Installing now...
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: May 12, 2008, 09:00:29 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on May 11, 2008, 10:38:31 PM

Was awesome fun, I definitely have to say that after playing the FFA portion of beta, I'd be downright bored without the open world pvp.  It was great fun with Kato and I watching each other's backs while questing and xp'ing.  Added a great deal of excitement to the game.  Very few frustrating 'gank' moments and usually it was just in the starter towns where the average joe figures he could/would/should attack anything that moves.

Would love to have more people for the pvp experience on the PVP-RP server come launch.  Let Kato or myself know and we'll get you in the guild slywink  All classes welcome and as long as we play together any class is viable.  

If you will be playing solo often I'd suggest avoiding Necromancers since they seem to be pretty hard to keep alive solo in the pvp environment at lower levels.

9hrs left on my download.  I hope to see many of you on Sat.

Kato, did you decide on a main character for release?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 12, 2008, 09:01:46 AM »

I'd like to add that anyone not planning on playing on an open PVP server should check out the Wanderers.  Great group of guys to play with and they should have good numbers for the end game sieges.  ( just try not to get bored doing quests slywink )
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 12, 2008, 11:03:02 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 12, 2008, 09:01:46 AM

I'd like to add that anyone not planning on playing on an open PVP server should check out the Wanderers.  Great group of guys to play with and they should have good numbers for the end game sieges.  ( just try not to get bored doing quests slywink )

link?

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 12, 2008, 11:18:47 AM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on May 12, 2008, 11:03:02 AM

Quote from: Harkonis on May 12, 2008, 09:01:46 AM

link?

either one thread above this, or one thread below this ;P
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 12, 2008, 11:49:14 AM »

http://feats.goonheim.com

There's a feat calculator to help you plan characters and waste time at work slywink
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: