http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 03:23:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan - All Your Questions Are Belong to Us!  (Read 75787 times)
Gryndyl
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: May 07, 2008, 01:55:53 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 07, 2008, 01:37:58 PM

On a side note, for those who've played a Scrapper in Coh, what class in AoC is most like a scrapper?

probably the barbarian

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 07, 2008, 04:35:24 PM »

Ok, just went and purchased AoC at my local EB. The kid gave me two early registration keys for the War Mammoth. Also when you register for 5 bucks more you get to download the client May 14 and play on the 17th. Also 10 paid days extra for the 5 bucks.

Anyway, whoever asks first here for the key can have my extra one.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 07, 2008, 04:46:36 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 07, 2008, 04:35:24 PM

Ok, just went and purchased AoC at my local EB. The kid gave me two early registration keys for the War Mammoth. Also when you register for 5 bucks more you get to download the client May 14 and play on the 17th. Also 10 paid days extra for the 5 bucks.

Anyway, whoever asks first here for the key can have my extra one.

May I have the extra key?  eek

It looks like if you are on the fence on the game getting the pre-order might be a good way to check out the game for 10 days for ~15 bucks.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 07, 2008, 04:52:52 PM »

ok, pm'ing you

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 07, 2008, 05:38:43 PM »

I really want Conan and could get it. But with the performance on my aging hardware I dont think I can do it. My system just isn't going to run it.

FX-53
2 gig pc3200
7800GS
Asus A8V Deluxe.

That is ok hardware and it ran the other MMO's betas I was in fine like Tabiula Rasa and WoW maxed. Conan just kills it though. Out in a jungle Im fine but pass a gate or go in a door or town and it dies and crashes and fails to restart for many tries.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 07, 2008, 06:24:25 PM »

Well it will not play at all in fullscreen. I finally got windowed to work again. Walked around town, did a quest fora blacksmith, then entered the tavern only to find a ? mark sticking out of the floor and when I went down one floor to see if I could talk to the quest person there it just errored again and crashed out. Im giving up on it. Its about 3/4 finished it seems.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 07, 2008, 07:51:32 PM »

Well, if anyone has a beta key that they're not using, I'll give it a shot.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: May 08, 2008, 12:58:47 AM »

There is an interesting interview with the Product Director from Funcom over at MMORPG.com.  Of course there is the usual bit of PR bullshit in the replies, but also some honesty on the part of performance, memory leaks, etc. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 08, 2008, 03:18:16 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 08, 2008, 12:58:47 AM

There is an interesting interview with the Product Director from Funcom over at MMORPG.com.  Of course there is the usual bit of PR bullshit in the replies, but also some honesty on the part of performance, memory leaks, etc. 

Pretty good at showing some humility. I have a good feeling about this game. Can't quantify that in any other way other than its just a gut feeling.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 08, 2008, 04:53:37 PM »

Hmm, got my pre-order key today...and, the OPTION to BUY three day early acces for 5 euro?? I am pretty sure thats not what the CE box says, but I Guess I'll see when I get it.

early acces buying and downloading starts on the 16th appearently...so, that means, 6 days at least without Conan unfortunately

A new one
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 08, 2008, 05:32:32 PM »

Yeah, apparently they are charging for early access, which really pisses me off.

However, like the sucker I am, I'll probably still end up doing it. 3 days is enough time to get through all the Tortage bullshit before the noob wave hits it.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: May 08, 2008, 05:38:04 PM »

Well, realize that paying for that 3-day early access gives you a total of 10 days for $5, so it's not as if you're paying more than the portion of a regular month's subscription. 

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 08, 2008, 05:42:44 PM »

I realise it's impossible to pin down completely, but what kind of performance/settings could I expect from my system?

C2D E6450
2 Gigs PC3200 Ram
Nvidia 7900 w 256Meg

I have it tweaked to get about all I can out of it, but I realise it's behind the times with the GPU and RAM.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: May 08, 2008, 06:05:40 PM »

That's pretty close to the system I use at work (although I have 7950 w/ 512 of RAM) and I think you will get decent performance at medium settings.  Hopefully the patch they release will put an end to the hitching and that will make the performance seem much better overall. 

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 08, 2008, 06:13:54 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 08, 2008, 05:38:04 PM

Well, realize that paying for that 3-day early access gives you a total of 10 days for $5, so it's not as if you're paying more than the portion of a regular month's subscription. 

Yep, thats exactly how I looked at it. I felt it was a pretty good offer actually.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: May 08, 2008, 06:16:22 PM »

Quote from: Booner on May 08, 2008, 05:42:44 PM

I realise it's impossible to pin down completely, but what kind of performance/settings could I expect from my system?

C2D E6450
2 Gigs PC3200 Ram
Nvidia 7900 w 256Meg

I have it tweaked to get about all I can out of it, but I realise it's behind the times with the GPU and RAM.

Give this site a try booner. drop the list down and pick Age of Conan. I realize that this is just what the developers have given them to benchmark but still, what else do we have to go on?
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 08, 2008, 06:40:47 PM »

I think AoC just loads way too much stuff way too much. It seems to always be loading something. Even just looking around in a circle seems to want to load textures. Then again it could just be my system or the closed beta client.

Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 09, 2008, 12:49:33 PM »

Quote from: Jafisob on May 07, 2008, 12:22:48 PM

This beta has some significant client issues even the closed beta (some of which make me want to pull out my hair the 10th time the client crashes or the 100th time it freezes for 2-10 seconds in an evening).  The claims that this is a beta and they have a better client in the wings have been made before for such games as AO.  Of course it would be nice if the claims of a better client were true.

The latest patch fixed many client issues and lessened the load times.  You may want to try it again if you were having issues.  There are still some crashes but not as bad.

I now do not tear out my hair when playing the game.   slywink

I am moving my opinion from AO'esq style launch to less than LOTRO smooth but probably bearable.   
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 09, 2008, 02:23:29 PM »

Yes, the patch that came out Wed night drastically improved performance and stability for many people.  I'm running medium at 1680x1050, shadows and getting 50-58 fps and it looks almost as good as high did before the patch.  No crashes and no screen tearing for me anymore especially in town and the tavern.  It really was a major improvement and was really needed.  Now if they would patch in spellweaving and the itemization before the beta closes they might get some good last minute buzz going.

I'm still not sure if I'm even going to buy it but I'm leaning towards yes with the improvements made recently.  Might get the pre-order and then wait a few weeks to check on the progress of the promised release day patches.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 09, 2008, 02:56:43 PM »

I'm running on High with no more stalling or crashes since the last patch.  I stayed on for 4hrs+ and zoned into every major city.  Pre-patch, I would crash every 30 mins or if I zone more than twice and I had stalling issues.  Unfortunately the patch also introduced some new gameplay bugs but I think they are known.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 09, 2008, 03:31:28 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 09, 2008, 02:56:43 PM

I'm running on High with no more stalling or crashes since the last patch.  I stayed on for 4hrs+ and zoned into every major city.  Pre-patch, I would crash every 30 mins or if I zone more than twice and I had stalling issues.  Unfortunately the patch also introduced some new gameplay bugs but I think they are known.

eh? Every major city? what build are you playing? Closed beta?

A new one
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 09, 2008, 04:38:25 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 09, 2008, 03:31:28 PM

Quote from: skystride on May 09, 2008, 02:56:43 PM

eh? Every major city? what build are you playing? Closed beta?

Yep, closed beta.  I also visited all the 20-30 zones, still no crashing or performance issues.  Something to keep in mind though is the low population on the server compared to open beta.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 09, 2008, 06:39:46 PM »

Why am I having so much trouble with it? 10% of the time it plays ok.....50% of the time it crashes...40% of the time it slows down to unplayable, gives graphics problems, or crashes. Ive only got the beach area to run ever.

StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 09, 2008, 07:56:23 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 09, 2008, 06:39:46 PM

Why am I having so much trouble with it? 10% of the time it plays ok.....50% of the time it crashes...40% of the time it slows down to unplayable, gives graphics problems, or crashes. Ive only got the beach area to run ever.

Daehawk, set shaders version to 2.0. According to devs there is a bug in compliling of the 3.0 shaders, which causes a lot of grief. They say it will get fixed before the release.

This option is in Options-->Video-->Advanced.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 09, 2008, 08:04:23 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on May 09, 2008, 07:56:23 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on May 09, 2008, 06:39:46 PM

Daehawk, set shaders version to 2.0. According to devs there is a bug in compliling of the 3.0 shaders, which causes a lot of grief. They say it will get fixed before the release.

This option is in Options-->Video-->Advanced.

I dont see any shader 2.0 option in that place.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: May 09, 2008, 08:09:58 PM »

They took a lot of the Advanced options out in this last patch, it seems.  They may have reverted to forcing shader 2.0 for now.  I do know that the patch fixed my crazy-long load times and frequent hitching when playing.  I haven't had it crash yet, either, but I haven't played for that long since the new patch.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 09, 2008, 08:25:01 PM »

Press ctlr-~ to enter debug mode and you can change a whole slew of options.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 09, 2008, 08:25:23 PM »

Ah ya know what just forget it. Im tired of it crashing and not running right. To me with all the problems it feels like its 40% done and needs 60% more to actually make it a working game. Maybe to others it feels better because it works better or something. Im skipping it and think Ill delete this beta. Its completely unplayable for me. Ill look forward to Stargate Worlds and both Warhammer MMOs to work better.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 09, 2008, 08:53:10 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 09, 2008, 08:25:23 PM

Ah ya know what just forget it. Im tired of it crashing and not running right. To me with all the problems it feels like its 40% done and needs 60% more to actually make it a working game. Maybe to others it feels better because it works better or something. Im skipping it and think Ill delete this beta. Its completely unplayable for me. Ill look forward to Stargate Worlds and both Warhammer MMOs to work better.

Can I have your beta info?

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 09, 2008, 09:08:26 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 09, 2008, 08:25:23 PM

I honestly don't understand why many people continue to make decisions/judgments on a game based on a BETA version.  It's not a DEMO, it's a BETA.  It's supposed to have problems, that's why they are testing it.  Fill out the survey and hopefully it will help the developers fix issues prior to release, isn't that the point? 

Now I'm not naive enough to believe in the "golden build" theory that will fix everything.  If it's completely unplayable, it's very possible the released version may not help, but equally possible they can fix the issues based on your feedback. 
Vindel_7
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: May 09, 2008, 09:13:07 PM »

Hello, long time lurker first time poster. But I wanted to say to those, don't give up. This was just posted on the official forums:

Greetings,

We will be taking down the open beta servers at 20:00 GMT for the next update. We are aiming to be back online at 01:00 GMT (5 hours). I will update the thread if any new information should come available on the update downtime.

They are saying it is the miracle patch from closed beta...here's to hoping. They are also saying that the patch notes are now on the patcher and notes for tomorrows big event as well.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 09:14:44 PM by Vindel_7 » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 09, 2008, 09:14:55 PM »

Im IN closed beta..its what wont run. Heck the game was final a week ago and is at the shippers now ready to go out I bet. It wont be any better than what Im not getting to play now.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 09, 2008, 09:15:25 PM »

Thanks for the info Vindel_7, and welcome.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 09, 2008, 09:16:30 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 09, 2008, 09:14:55 PM

Im IN closed beta..its what wont run. Heck the game was final a week ago and is at the shippers now ready to go out I bet. It wont be any better than what Im not getting to play now.

I'll take that beta off your hands.

Vindel_7
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 09, 2008, 09:24:44 PM »

Ah sorry Daehawk, I didn't know you were in CB. I am in OB and have major stalling and crashes as well. But I heard that was do to me having a  multi core AMD. Heard they are still tweaking the client to run smoother from AMD users. Tortage runs great at night but during the day ack.... So here is to hoping the patch clears things up.
Vindel_7
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 09, 2008, 09:34:06 PM »

Patch notes: If this violates NDA please remove

The version we have just patched out is mostly focused on improving the performance and stability of the game. There should be a very noticeable reduction in client stalls, crashes, and memory leaks! You may also notice the improved light model and texture quality! Underwater Fog is now in so all of your underwater adventures will be even more realistic! Last, but not least, we have spent a great deal of effort on polishing the shader cache system. This, along with all the other fixes, should provide you with the smoothest AoC experience yet!

There are some larger known issues with the version, but we decided to release the version with them due to the greatly increased performance of the client.

* NPC`s pop into a T-pose or slide at times when your client does not have the animation pre-loaded.

* Some NPCs with patrol points do not behave in the intended manner. This is causing some issues with a few of the Destiny quests.

* There is a collision box that needs to be adjusted on the rooftop for the Rogue Awaking I. If you become stuck here, please use your Path of Azura to free yourself.

* Character models may fail to load in character selection or cause a major stall while loading.

If this violates NDA please remove
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 09:36:18 PM by Vindel_7 » Logged
Hyperion
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 09, 2008, 09:39:44 PM »

I was having some severe slowdowns and such as well.  To try and remedy it, I went and bought a 8800GTS video card (had a 7900gt) and it has made a huge improvement in the framerate and stability, as well as "hitching."

I am still having problems with long load times and the occasional stall while changing zones, but the game is largely playable for me now.

My biggest concern with launch is class balance, it seems very out of whack and I think will lead to a flood of rogue classes (I am going to play on a PvP-RP server.)  I think they made some bad design decisions and should of followed a more rock > paper > scissors approach.  Meaning Soldiers should be the counters to rogues, who are the counters to mages etc.  As it stands now I think a group of Rogues will decimate any team that tries a more traditional "mix" of classes.

Also, I believe it is a mistake to "tier" the armor types for soldiers by level, because it basically eliminates PvP as an option early, which leads more to the above problem.  I fear that come launch the early PVP is going to be a very unhealthy prospect for classes that have to "grow" into some of the abilities that supposedly put them on par with classes that have all of their "important" abilities out of the gate (stealth and whatnot.)

If the game wants to be a real success and not a niche, their needs to be a general parity of the classes PvP wise through the levels.  As it stands now, early PvP is seriously an afterthought.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 09, 2008, 09:44:42 PM »

well, contrary to what many many many people seem to think, the game isnt Pvp-centric...PvP is IN the game, but its not the main focus, like in Warhammer for instance...

Of course since they do add pvp , it should work more or less, but hey, blizz is still working on balancing the classes in WoW

A new one
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: May 09, 2008, 10:10:35 PM »

Considering they just released a 540 meg patch (that I'm guessing you never downloaded) I think it will be quite improved from the version on the disc.  I'll eat my hat if they don't release at least another patch before live. 

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 10, 2008, 12:42:43 AM »

Oh, closed beta... so I'm assuming you fed your info back to the developers, filed bug reports and such, but still no go?  If that's the case I totally understand.

Not trying to give you a hard time, but I often get the sense people treat being a beta tester like getting a free demo of the game, and then decide whether to buy/support the game based on that experience. 

- - -

P.S. Hoping the new patch helps OB testers!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: