http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 06:24:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan - All Your Questions Are Belong to Us!  (Read 75015 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 02, 2008, 03:22:42 AM »

I just got an invite to the closed beta. It said thnx for helping with the test the other day and Im now invited to closed beta. Im downloading it now. 13 gig. really fast..been downloading 2 min and its over 15% done.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 02, 2008, 03:23:17 AM »

I'm home now from Iron Man, doing the final updates (I set up my account from work).

Great.  disgust Anyone else getting this error message at start-up? (it verifies all the files fine and is fully updated):
AgeOfConan.exe - Unable to Locate Component

This application has failed to start because d3dx9_36.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
I don't think I'm preordering something that won't even start up. Supposedly this usually means some DirectX files related problem so I'm trying to update that.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 03:37:30 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 02, 2008, 03:37:03 AM »

Ill tell ya in a minute.

edit...no I wont..seems it was only downloading setup files. It now says 8 hours left..450k a sec too. Ugh my lord. Guess I ll lvl up my Mythos peepz.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: May 02, 2008, 03:43:25 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 02, 2008, 02:09:52 AM

So this is still set to be on shelves by the end of May? So the gold candidate would be sent off for duplication say around the middle of the month?

Does that leave enough time to really change anything of significance?

Reading the IGN boards sure leaves you thinking that this game is along way from ready.

The game has already gone gold, but obviously with an online game there is easy oportunity for downloaded updates.  I would hope that at this point most changes would be tweaks/balance and server-side adjustments for performance.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 02, 2008, 03:49:02 AM »

Does it have pit fighting like the movie? 1 on 1 fights.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: May 02, 2008, 04:08:12 AM »

Reading the IGN boards sure leaves you thinking that this game is along way from ready.

It's difficult to say. Based on other MMO betas I've been in, I'd be inclined to say that no, the game wasn't ready and that we were looking at a shaky launch. However, Funcom has surprised me during this beta a number of times rolling out mass updates that were significantly more advanced than what we had been testing. So it's entirely within the realm of possibility that their internal client is indeed way ahead of the beta client.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 02, 2008, 04:15:36 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 02, 2008, 03:23:17 AM

I'm home now from Iron Man, doing the final updates (I set up my account from work).

Great.  disgust Anyone else getting this error message at start-up? (it verifies all the files fine and is fully updated):
AgeOfConan.exe - Unable to Locate Component

This application has failed to start because d3dx9_36.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
I don't think I'm preordering something that won't even start up. Supposedly this usually means some DirectX files related problem so I'm trying to update that.

Try running the file named simpleconfig.exe or something like that from your game folder. Apparently, it's supposed to verify the game files and update whatever needs to be updated, but was missed by the patcher.

I hope they resolve their server performance issues by tomorrow, when I log in. smile

Beta guys, could you pls answer this question - is it true that spellcasters are forced to melee most of the time while soloing? I read that pets in this game are not tanks, is it true and how does it affect the spellcasters?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 02, 2008, 04:23:13 AM »

Updating DirectX fixed it, that's all it was.

I like the combat more than I expected, though since you're stuck with 1-3 as melee directions I don't quite know how I'll handle all the hotkeys later on. It ran OK for me (1280X1024), but it basically got stuck somewhere in the jungle and I had to alt/tab to the desktop to exit (it won't let you exit while in combat). I was playing on server #4. It seemed like the only first one was really busy right now.

The options menus give you zillions of options; I think they're going to have to put some sub categories within them - it's just awfully intimiding to try to find a setting in there.

*So far I can play maybe 10-15 minutes and then *DOINK*, the server freezes up; or in the last case I clicked on dialogue with an NPC enemy and *doink* it froze up. When it's not doing that, it's pretty fun, fwiw.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 05:13:34 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 02, 2008, 06:27:11 AM »

Ok some initial thoughts so far.

Was able to log in around 3pm MST today and played for about an hour with no hiccups. After the first hour I had a few "Lost connection to server" errors, maybe 3 in about 30 minutes but I was able to log back in with no problem each time. At around the 2 hour mark the game completely froze on me and I had to do a hard shutdown. At this point I had to go out for a bit.

Logged back in around 10pm MST and played for a solid 2 hours with no issues at all. I've got the video settings on Medium forget which res I set it to will have to check again later. Game runs fairly well so far, better then I expected for a beta.

Character customization is pretty decent with pretty much all the common settings, height, physique, multiple faces, multiple hairdo's, several options for facial hair for men, scars, tattoo's etc. One neat item was your options seem to change depending on which race you choose so although all 3 are basically "human" there is still some variation. There's also an "Advanced" option that allows you to really fine tune your characters features, cheeks, mouth, chin, eye height, eye width etc. etc.

Seems there's alot of voiced dialogue from the NPC's and it's not terrible.

I like the feel of the combat. I started as a Bear Shaman and so my character strictly uses 2 handed weapons, and there's a visceral feel to hitting mob's. I am finding I also like the added strategy of shields and the combo's. You have to actually pay attention to what your fighting as mob's will switch there defensive stances mid fight.
Now for the downside of combat. This game is HARD, like old school EQ1 newbie hard. 99% of the time you are facing multiple opponents at times as many as 4 or 5 so far. On top of that you might face a mix of opponents i.e. 2 melee, 1 caster and an archer. I've made it to level 8 so far and I've died more times in those 8 levels then I have getting to 20+ in most MMO's I've played. Now perhaps some of the other classes are different but as a Bear shaman I'd say be prepared to die alot in the beginning. When you die you are given the option of returning to any "Resurrection platforms" you've flagged and each shows how far they are from your current location.

Overall the graphics are nice and the music/background audio is pretty good as well.

I am really enjoying the main story/quest line. It's actually pretty engaging although I'm not sure how many times I would want to have to repeat it.

Couple of other negatives, fall death... crybaby I hate fall death in MMO's. Personal pet peeve. I prefer the leave you at 1 hitpoint sort of penalty so your not going to be inclined to launch your self from that cliff face down into that pack of mobs but at least a simple misstep isn't going to send you waaayyyyy back to the res stone.
The other negative which really started to annoy me was the constant load screens. This may dissipate as you gain levels but right now roaming around the first city and doing the main quest line your thrown into a lot of "instances" and so lots of load screens and at this point in beta they aren't very fast either.

All in all I'm enjoying the beta so far even with some of the annoyances, dead, run back, dead, run back, dead....
I'm not sold on the Bear Shaman at this point as it's extremely melee-centric. At level 8 I have one quasi-spell which is a pretty crap HOT(2 pts per tick) and about 6 or 7 melee combo attacks. No group buffs, no debuffs, no targeted heals etc. Funcom has definitely put a new spin on the Shaman class, not saying it's bad but so far it's not what I expected.  I hope something clicks by level 13 otherwise I'm going to be hesitant to start one on release. Hopefully I can find my niche class in this game, as that's what pretty much killed LOTR for me.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 02, 2008, 07:13:24 AM »

Quote from: Abaddon on May 02, 2008, 06:27:11 AM

Now perhaps some of the other classes are different but as a Bear shaman I'd say be prepared to die alot in the beginning.

That is the case.  For example, as an assassin I one shotted the main boss on the 1st island, it was trivially easy.  BS get really powerful post 20 when they get a lot of their spells.  They are actually capable main healers and not a melee class.  I suppose you could play it as a melee only class but you probably won't be able to compete dps wise.

The other negative which really started to annoy me was the constant load screens. This may dissipate as you gain levels but right now roaming around the first city and doing the main quest line your thrown into a lot of "instances" and so lots of load screens and at this point in beta they aren't very fast either.

This is really annoying, reminds me of EQ1 load times.  Sometime you go into a 1 room instance but the game seems to unload the rest of the world.  So when you come out, it's another long wait.  It has improved a lot (if you can believe that) so there is some hope that this will be drastically reduced.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 02, 2008, 07:20:20 AM »

I'm on server 2 with

Harkonis
Ravina
Banigan

as my characters.

Framerates are pretty horrid.  Will be running fine anywhere from 40-60 then dip to 2 SECONDS per FRAME and back to 40-60 about every 10-20 seconds.  very annoying and it happens regardless of video settings.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 02, 2008, 08:36:45 AM »

We should post our system configs to compare our performance with the game.

Just got far enough to go create a character..

Vista
Core Duo E6850 OC
2x 8800GTS SLI
4 gigs Ram
creative xi-fi soundcard 128mb
latest drivers (non-beta)

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 02, 2008, 01:10:51 PM »

Was able to log in around 3pm MST today and played for about an hour with no hiccups. After the first hour I had a few "Lost connection to server" errors, maybe 3 in about 30 minutes but I was able to log back in with no problem each time.

Well, this is actually encouraging to hear. It seems the game behaved (or is it "behad"? smile) fairly well untill 50,000 people started loging in at about 6-7 pm. Hopefully it means that the core game is ok, they just need to improve performance to be able to handle more people at the same time and that's what the stress test is for.

Hehe funny thing, someone at VNVault linked several threads from 2004, when WoW open test started. It was funny to read all the complaining and "worst open beta ever" crying.

Yes, I am worried about the game's performance, but I really want this game (and this developer) to succeed and hope they have enough time to resolve the issues brought up by this stress test.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 02, 2008, 04:25:41 PM »

It definitely is common, though not necessarily required. I think LOTORO and to some extent City of Heroes didn't quite have the same din of "DOMMM!!!!"' 3 weeks from launch. They might've had different expectations though.

Tabula Rasa, otoh, from what I read, did -- and they ended up releasing a massive patch right at launch to totally revamp some things.

Anyway, when it does stay connected AoC looked great, performed well (on my new but not high end quad core with modest 8600GT card) and the combat basics (the three directional attack keys, and the visual "shield" system of the enemies) felt good to me. Here's hoping they deliver a home run and not a double. icon_smile

Couple questions for you more knowledgeable:
-I'm used to being able to drag and drop skills from a panel into the hotkey tray but it didn't seem to do anything. If I left clicked in the skills panel it activated it. What am I missing?  icon_confused
-In most mmorpgs I like to switch the "run/walk toggle" from the typical "Num Lock" to my wheel mouse button. When I go into key config, it won't let me assign to that. Urk?  icon_confused
-The various UI panels seem to be fixed in place. I would think there'd be some option to "un bind" them but I haven't found one so far in the options. Can you clue me in if you find a way?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 04:30:17 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 02, 2008, 05:34:16 PM »

I just open up the skill panel and drag skills to the hotbar.  If the right hotbar is not filled up already, new skills go there automatically.  It's odd though that there doesn't seem to be a way to map keys to all the additional hotbars (like ctrl-1 or alt-1 in other games).  I think they are limiting controls on purpose to make it easier to port to Xbox 360.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 02, 2008, 06:06:51 PM »

I'm on Server 4 as Rittchard.  May try a few other classes if time permits.

(Cross post)

I have had crashes and restarts galore, usually during zoning. And usually I have to log back in twice to clear whatever went wrong. Performance is kind of choppy but I have most stuff on max. I'm generally getting good ping and FPS but sometimes it gets choppy, and the game has dropped me a few times. Crashes occur the most when I zone, I think it might be some type of memory leak.

However, I have to say once hitting the town, this is one of the best looking towns I've ever seen in a MMORPG in terms of detail and atmosphere. It is on par or better than single player fare like Oblivion, Gothic and Two Worlds. NPCs are still traditional lame fare, but the look and feel of the town is absolutely outstanding. I can't wait to see it in DX10.

Also of note, I thought it was going to be a gimmick, but the starter portion as single player story/adventure really works. I've just started but it really feels like an immersive single player RPG storyline with the option to jump into multiplayer to do side stuff, if you so choose. I guess this will end at level 20, but it's still extremely well done.

If they can shore up the technical issues and give us a decent endgame, could be a real winner.

crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 02, 2008, 06:28:06 PM »

I seem to be having a little trouble tuning the graphics, the game seems glitchy when moving fast or turning. The max resolution I can run at 1280 x 1024 for it to be playable, I would prefer higher just so the hotkeys and that are smaller.

I have a Dell XPS laptop
Core 2 2.4ghz
3gb ram
8600m GT video w/ drivers from laptop2go.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 02, 2008, 08:14:02 PM »

I've tried Herald of Xotil to level 8 had a really hard time with it, not sure I'll be sticking with him or not. I tried an assassin and have him at level 10 easily, though I haven't figured out how to kill out of stealth I just walk up and push 2 nothing really happens but his combos are very nice. Going to try a conq next.

As for having problems only been booted 3 times so far, running at max resolution and graphics on high and runs a like a champ for me sometimes things are a little slow to load but if they fail I just enter a building and come back out and it fixes itself.

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+ (2.21 ghz)
2.50 gb of ram
Dual Geforce 8800 GT
600 watt power supply
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 02, 2008, 10:59:16 PM »

Is there any other place to download the beta?  Right now I'm moving ridiculously slow. (12hrs and counting)
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 03, 2008, 12:05:43 AM »

So far no major crashes and I have played up to level 12 (Guardian)
Mostly playing the single player (instanced) portion though....
Game is running smooth on my system at resolution 1680 x 1050
Settings on high, getting 45-70 FPS

Vista
Core Duo E6850 OC
2x 8800GTS SLI
4 gigs Ram
creative xi-fi soundcard 128mb
latest drivers (non-beta)

Semper Fidelis

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 03, 2008, 12:23:03 AM »

The game won't even patch for me. I've tried disabling my firewall to reinstalling but nothing is working. It just locks up during the early patch process.

Pass.

It's typical Funcom trash.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: May 03, 2008, 01:51:32 AM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on May 03, 2008, 12:23:03 AM

The game won't even patch for me. I've tried disabling my firewall to reinstalling but nothing is working. It just locks up during the early patch process.

Pass.

Not sure if you're in the closed beta or IGN open beta, but I know the closed servers have been taken down for a few hours (as it says in the patcher when you start it) since they collected the data that they needed for the first phase of the test and will be restarting them sometime around 2200 GMT. 

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 03, 2008, 03:31:17 AM »

Pass.

Can I have your key?  icon_razz

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 03, 2008, 02:29:34 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 03, 2008, 01:51:32 AM

Pass.

Not sure if you're in the closed beta or IGN open beta, but I know the closed servers have been taken down for a few hours (as it says in the patcher when you start it) since they collected the data that they needed for the first phase of the test and will be restarting them sometime around 2200 GMT. 

IGN Fileplanet EXCLUSIVE FUN TIME MEGA BETA client.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: May 03, 2008, 03:20:17 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 03, 2008, 01:51:32 AM

That was exactly it. On Friday, the servers were down for many hours while they were patching and such. They're running just fine now (or at least an hour or so ago, when I was playing), so give the patcher a whirl again.

And as far as the patcher itself goes, I used something other than the Fileplanet install to grab the game. Use this link to download the Download Manager that the game uses, and try that out. It took a few hours, but I was sustaining 400-500k/sec for most of the download.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 03, 2008, 04:13:02 PM »

Ok I am stuck on my destiny quest with my Assassin.  I am supposed to sneak through town, and climb up on to the rooftops, but I can't find where to climb.  I get something that auto targets but I can never seem to get close enough.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 03, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »

OK, I'm debating whether or not it's worth cancelling my Gamestop pre-order for the regular edition to get the CE from somewhere else.  as far as I can tell the only benefits will be the in-game ring and cape as I'll still get the mammoth mount.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 03, 2008, 04:40:19 PM »

Unless performance improves I don't know that I will get the game.  I realise I am just above the required specs, but even on lowest settings I am only getting 10 FPS often, just isn't acceptable.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: May 03, 2008, 06:09:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 03, 2008, 04:29:26 PM

OK, I'm debating whether or not it's worth cancelling my Gamestop pre-order for the regular edition to get the CE from somewhere else.  as far as I can tell the only benefits will be the in-game ring and cape as I'll still get the mammoth mount.

Yeah, the ring and cape in-game as well as the making-of DVD material (which is what I go for, really), the leather map (meh), soundtrack CD (meh), and art book (look through it once) as well as the five free guest passes which are normally in both editions but seem to be exclusive.  Oh, and the "Hand-finished, metal-embossed oversized collector's box with inlay page and individually numbered holographic sticker"...that's what really sold me on it. slywink

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 03, 2008, 06:51:53 PM »

Apparently Funcom is using an older game client in the open beta rather than a more current one used in the closed beta.

http://gameratty.com/article/b9e53a66b16b4a75fe7aa0ef0d84c154

http://bildos.blogspot.com/2008/05/aoc-closed-beta-worlds-different-than.html

Semper Fidelis

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: May 03, 2008, 10:10:42 PM »

Yeah, I guess it wouldn't surprise me that the Open Beta is a slightly older version since things in the closed beta seem pretty good to me.  Certainly not perfect but not doom and gloom.  There are some looong load times between areas and hitching when first caching things, but it seemed to perform pretty well with everything cranked up at 1680x1050 on my work system (Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, dual GeForce 7950 GX2). 

The worries I have relate more to overall content design than to performance and stability.  I'm wondering how many times you would really want to go through the low-end content.  For a game like WoW, the many different starting areas means that you can play every race up to 20 and hardly do any of the same quests or see the same areas.  Here it seems like the early levels may be the grind to get to the later stuff, and who really wants to do the same thing when they start an alt of a new race/class?  I haven't played enough to know that for a fact, I'm just guessing from what I've seen. 

Having said that, from my experience so far I have no qualms about keeping my preorder.  Despite any problems and crashes, I was just plain having fun in the game.  Combat seems like a refreshing change without being crazy-different (for melee, at least), the graphics are great, there are lots of quality voice-overs and it seems like a well-made world.  So what I'm saying is, don't completely give up hope. 

The ironic thing is that in the last couple weeks I've actually been pulled back into Lord of the Rings Online.  My subscription for that continues into June, so I may keep playing it and save the rest of Conan until launch.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 03, 2008, 11:50:56 PM »

Closed beta also has low population.  I'm assuming Open beta has a lot of people in it?  So it might not be just the client version causing performance issues.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 04, 2008, 12:11:23 AM »

The worries I have relate more to overall content design than to performance and stability.  I'm wondering how many times you would really want to go through the low-end content.  For a game like WoW, the many different starting areas means that you can play every race up to 20 and hardly do any of the same quests or see the same areas.  Here it seems like the early levels may be the grind to get to the later stuff, and who really wants to do the same thing when they start an alt of a new race/class?  I haven't played enough to know that for a fact, I'm just guessing from what I've seen.

While I agree on principal, I disagree with comparison to WoW.

Not sure about Alliance (it's been long time ago), but on a Horde side out of 3 starting areas, one (Orcs) are going to The Barrens naturally at about lvl 10, another (Tauren) is forced there at ~12 and even if the Undead's zones allow people to get to 20's (which IIRC is not the case), it's much slower and generally people don't do that. So everyone ends up in The Barrens at lvl 12-14, which takes about 2-3 hours (or 5-6 if you stop to smell the roses). Besides, I went through all initial zones back in 2004 and I am still rolling alts smile If the rest of the game is good, who cares about the newbie zones.

Having said that, I totally do not understand the logic behind opening the game to the public in this condition (and supposedly with an older client). Is that how they want to lower the number of people on release day? Everyone understands that this beta is as much (even more so) a PR event as it is a Stress test and it's just stupid to create this bad PR.

I like the setting, the combat seems fun, I like the company (at least it's not SOE) and I am not canceling my pre-order. But I will not recommend any of my friends to buy it on day 1. If the game is in this state on release, it's done for. There is no second chances in MMO business and Funcom has already almost blew theirs with this Open Beta.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 04, 2008, 12:29:47 AM »

I cant get it to run well enough to try it. I was getting just a black screen but fixed that and got windowed mode to work. I made my guy and was on the beach. It took forever because it ran so slow. Then I met the girl and thats all I did. It stopped metting me move. The grass would wave every few seconds. I think I was getting 1 frame per 10 seconds, I finally got into options and set the res down and settings to low and exited to see if that fixed it. Still no go..sometimes I get in and others I dont. When Im in its too slow to move..windowed or full screen.

StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 04, 2008, 12:45:50 AM »

I just tried playing it again. It's beyond ridiculous, it performs even worse than yesterday. Maybe I should cancel my pre-order, I probably will if it doesn't improve in the next week or two.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 04, 2008, 04:22:39 AM »

I'm by no mean a Funcom apologist (in fact I was  icon_twisted enraged icon_twisted by the Anarchy Online launch) but everything that I've been able to gather about the performance (from searching the boards and personal testing) is that:

1)  The open beta client really is crappier than the closed beta client

2)  The hitching is related to a (quite fixable) bug with pixel shaders.

3)  The endless load time may be releated to the windows indexing and search.  (I have both turned off on my Vista machine and do not experience long load times).

I found a wacko suggestion that adjusting your anti-aliasing settings while in game can reset the shaders to a value that works better.  I did it and sure enough it masively reduced the hitching and bumped up my FPS by a good 25%. 

Though I tend to fall to the cynical side of things, I have to say that in this case I really do think things will be markedly improved by launch.  Also remember that as crappy as the AO launch was, they really did fix it and it went on to win at least one "Most Improved Game" of the year awards. 

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 04, 2008, 05:02:21 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 03, 2008, 04:13:02 PM

Ok I am stuck on my destiny quest with my Assassin.  I am supposed to sneak through town, and climb up on to the rooftops, but I can't find where to climb.  I get something that auto targets but I can never seem to get close enough.

Yeah, that quest could have been done better. You'll see a spot with 4 guards standing. Sneak past them and up some stairs and into a courtyard up there, as I recall. The spot you need to go to to climb actuall appears in the game world as a glowing white ring on the ground. U is the hot key to climb and be forewarned that climbing breaks stealth.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 04, 2008, 12:57:24 PM »

3)  The endless load time may be releated to the windows indexing and search.  (I have both turned off on my Vista machine and do not experience long load times).
I still sometimes get frantic hard disk churning on Vista Ultimate even after having turned off Windows Indexing and the "Superfetch" feature (it's not defragmenting and seems to go on too long to be a paging file issue). Just now I fixed it by simply turning the PC off and no more churning when I returned.

It's true though -- even though that churning for those features is supposed to turn off when you're in a program or doing something else, it doesn't seem to stop and has killed my performance if I don't do something to stop the churning before I play a game. I can see in the "Performance and Reliability Monitor" it's some weird subfolder in the main hard drive volume (I guess that's an entire Vista thread topic in itself though  icon_razz).

My load times have been fine, fwiw. I'm a bit disappointed you get a level load screen (briefly) just walking through a doorway to go into a building in town, or just walking through a town's main gate.  saywhat (it doesn't help the immersion aspect to have loading screens for such routine movements).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 12:59:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 04, 2008, 02:54:32 PM »

I'm stumped on part of a destiny quest...
Spoiler for Hiden:
Nadini in the Destiny quest.

I'm in the night instance. I'm at the spot (in a house) where she's marked on the map. There's no Nadini.  icon_confused

Any ideas? Am I missing something? Or did the latest patch add a bug? (didnt' have this problem with my other character the other night afik)

I've checked Wiki and forums, but the assumption is she should be right there.

Playing
PC
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 04, 2008, 03:56:13 PM »

Blackjack, she is supposed to be inside the house by the window, but you probably know that already since you did it on another character.

My hard drive is churning all the time while playing AoC and I don't have Vista (yet), it's XP. So (at least in some cases) it's the game's fault, not Vista.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: