http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 11:34:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan - All Your Questions Are Belong to Us!  (Read 73502 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 24, 2008, 10:29:24 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on April 24, 2008, 12:20:21 AM

I'll see you guys in Hyboria when it's $30. biggrin
How many times are you going to post to let us know you think the game is overpriced?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 24, 2008, 11:52:18 AM »

I'm trying to better understand how the whole melee combat system works with respect to the relationship between the mouse/keyboard motions and the typical skills that one would assign to buttons 1 thru 9.

In a game like WoW, one walks up to a bad guy and stands in front of him.  He then hits # keys 2,3,6,4,8,2,3,6. (or whatever).  And each of these keys represents an action, like Crushing Strike, Increase My Rage, Slice the Tendon, or whatever the skills are called.  Eventually, the creatue dies.

In AoC, you use the mouse to slice your sword and you double tab your 'a' key to dodge left.  Is this correct?  Where do the # keys come into play... or do they?  Do you walk up to a bad guy and do a quick motion down with your mouse to slice at his chest, followed by hitting the #1 key to increase your rage, followed by a double tap of  'A'  to dodge an incoming blow, followed by hitting #2 key to drink a potion, etc...?

Sorry, but I'm just trying to understand how it works.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 24, 2008, 01:08:56 PM »

Any clue what time of day they release keys? Today's were already gone when I checked.  icon_evil They supposedly release them according to  Pacific Standard Time. Are they issuing them at 4 a.m. PST or something? I'm baffled.  icon_confused
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 01:11:23 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 24, 2008, 01:40:21 PM »

You don't need to have all your launch servers online to do a stress test.  You just need to test the load on a few of them to gauge max capacity and then determine how many you need for launch.  Basically what Engine9 wrote that I just now read smile.  Stress test does not equal open beta. 

morlac00 on PSN
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 24, 2008, 01:43:06 PM »

Excellent we will all be level 30 by then and you can follow us around and carry our vendor junk and act as bait for the pvpers Tongue

morlac00 on PSN
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 24, 2008, 02:01:11 PM »

ugh - the notificaiton page says "Coming soon" now, and its already heavy-duty loading :-D

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 24, 2008, 02:17:30 PM »

They are up, got mine
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 24, 2008, 02:27:56 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 24, 2008, 02:17:30 PM

They are up, got mine

I guess I'll be seing you online around 1st of may then ;-)

A new one
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 24, 2008, 02:29:05 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on April 24, 2008, 11:52:18 AM

I'm trying to better understand how the whole melee combat system works with respect to the relationship between the mouse/keyboard motions and the typical skills that one would assign to buttons 1 thru 9.

In a game like WoW, one walks up to a bad guy and stands in front of him.  He then hits # keys 2,3,6,4,8,2,3,6. (or whatever).  And each of these keys represents an action, like Crushing Strike, Increase My Rage, Slice the Tendon, or whatever the skills are called.  Eventually, the creatue dies.

In AoC, you use the mouse to slice your sword and you double tab your 'a' key to dodge left.  Is this correct?  Where do the # keys come into play... or do they?  Do you walk up to a bad guy and do a quick motion down with your mouse to slice at his chest, followed by hitting the #1 key to increase your rage, followed by a double tap of  'A'  to dodge an incoming blow, followed by hitting #2 key to drink a potion, etc...?

Sorry, but I'm just trying to understand how it works.

Works like this:

1, 2 and 3 on your top row are left attack, overhead attack and right attack respectively.
Some classes also get Q and E for directional attacks.
Double tapping a movement key, left right forward or back, does a dodge in that direction.
pressing x will drop into a defensive stance.
You also have 3 shields which can be set against the three attacks in any combination (i.e. 2 shields to the left side and 1 overhead, leaving the right open; 1 on each side; 3 on top with left and right open; etc.)

You have your combo moves on your hot bar. Clicking one of these starts a timed window during which you need to press an attack direction, specific to the combo, which activates it. For example, a sweep attack which hits multiple targets: press sweep and then  you are instructed to press 3 (right side attack) to actually start the sweep. The timer on getting a combo off allows you to maneuver position or wait until your opponent is particularly vulnerable before actually starting the attack.

It is all to easy for new players to simply button spam and then bitch that the combat sucks. There is quite a lot of depth to it and somebody that gets good at shifting shields, dodging and unleashing combos when his enemy is at their most vulnerable is going to mop up.

Hope that clears things up at least a tad smile

The mouse can be used to click combos or attacks onscreen, sshift camera or move forward if both buttons are pressed simultaneously. Apart from the camera, all of the mouse stuff is on the keyboard as well.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 02:30:56 PM by Gryndyl » Logged

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 24, 2008, 02:30:08 PM »

the beta is tempting, but GTA IV is soon.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 24, 2008, 02:31:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 24, 2008, 02:30:08 PM

If you got a beta key that you're not gonna use, mate, cough it up! smile

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: April 24, 2008, 02:39:20 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 24, 2008, 01:08:56 PM

Any clue what time of day they release keys? Today's were already gone when I checked.  icon_evil They supposedly release them according to  Pacific Standard Time. Are they issuing them at 4 a.m. PST or something? I'm baffled.  icon_confused

Whenever they want to. The final set of keys yesterday went up (and vanished) at 8pm PST (or thereabouts).

And BTW - Rangers were nerfed (from what I read elsewhere) because they could do fantastic damage at range AND root your opponent at range. Thus, they were quite impossible to kill in PvP.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 24, 2008, 02:50:08 PM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on April 24, 2008, 02:31:36 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 24, 2008, 02:30:08 PM

If you got a beta key that you're not gonna use, mate, cough it up! smile

no, no key here.  I haven't even tried to get one fron VP.

Because I can,
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 24, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »

I am not even going to try to get a beta key. Not only it's next to impossible, but I don't really want to spoil my first impression. Every single beta/stress test I've been in (except WoW) left me disappointed. 12-20 GB download, crashing servers, lag, gazillion of people in all newbie zones (it's up to lvl 12 only, right?). As much as I'd like to test out the classes, I think I better do it after release.

BTW, how many chars are we allowed to have on a server?

About combat. I have a few concerns. Firstly, in my MMO's I usually use keys 1-5 and everything around WASD as my hotkeys to cast spells, etc. In AoC all these keys are already taken by all the swinging/dodging stuff.

Second, clicking on spells/skills icons? I hope they have keyboard shortcuts, because I alwasy hated to click, especially since I usually try to minimize the on-screen interface to see more of the world. Clicking tiny icons is not fun. Having a bunch of huge icons on the screen is ugly and not fun either.

Third, melee combat sounds pretty involving and fun (at least theoretically) with all the swinging, dodging, shields, combos and what not. What about the casters? I never heard anything about them and I suspect their (ranged) combat is nothing like the above, it's probably similar to other games - click/press 2, 3, 4, 2, 2, 2, then loot the corpse. If it's true, it kinda sucks.

Oh and I have a question to the beta guys - how easy/difficult it is to get to the other race's newbie zone? At what level? How long does it take? I usually play with 2 of my RL friends and we try to group and discover the game together as soon as possible.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 24, 2008, 03:41:49 PM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on April 24, 2008, 02:29:05 PM

QUESTIONS

ANSWERS

Thanks!!

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 24, 2008, 03:57:47 PM »

BTW, how many chars are we allowed to have on a server?

I don't know if this will hold true for launch, but in the beta there are 8 character slots per server.

About combat. I have a few concerns. Firstly, in my MMO's I usually use keys 1-5 and everything around WASD as my hotkeys to cast spells, etc. In AoC all these keys are already taken by all the swinging/dodging stuff.

You can remap keys however you wish.

Second, clicking on spells/skills icons? I hope they have keyboard shortcuts, because I alwasy hated to click, especially since I usually try to minimize the on-screen interface to see more of the world. Clicking tiny icons is not fun. Having a bunch of huge icons on the screen is ugly and not fun either.

Yes, of course there are keyboard shortcuts for everything.

What about the casters? I never heard anything about them and I suspect their (ranged) combat is nothing like the above, it's probably similar to other games - click/press 2, 3, 4, 2, 2, 2, then loot the corpse. If it's true, it kinda sucks.

Casting (offensive) spells is the same as pulling off melee combos. I.E. You'll have to hit 1, 2, or 3 directional attacks to pull off a spell, depending on the level/complexity of the spell.

Oh and I have a question to the beta guys - how easy/difficult it is to get to the other race's newbie zone? At what level? How long does it take?

There are no separate newbie zones. Everyone starts in Tortage until they hit 20. At 20, when you exit Tortage for the "real" world, each race has its own starting spot. There are ports between the major quest hubs, so though I can't tell you off the top of my head how easy it is to get from one starting city to another, my hunch is that it's just a matter of figuring out where the ports are and finding the quickest route. I don't think you'll have to do any long distance overland travel through dangerous areas or anything.

This brings up something that may disappoint those used to WoW, with its varied starting zones. There are only 3 races in Conan (all human), one common newbie zone, and only 3 starting cities. So this isn't a game that's going to cater to people who like to roll up a lot of alts and travel through varied beginning game content. From what I've seen so far, content in AoC is geared towards the latter half of the game (40-80), though there are 2-3 different 20-40 quest hubs. A common complain in beta is that the world feels too "linear," and for those who are used to geographically massive games like WoW and EQ2, the game world may feel a little restrictive. This doesn't bother me much since I tend to create one character and stick with them to the end, but I think it deserves a mention for those on the fence.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 04:04:02 PM by YellowKing » Logged
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 24, 2008, 04:05:49 PM »

This is exactly how AoC feels.  But instead of auto-attack swinging, you have to hit 1,2,3.  Dodging is useless unless you solved the Matrix and can predict which direction the enemy will swing from.  Blocking is useless and it drains your stamina too quickly.  You are better of trying to go for combos (i.e. a string of key strokes that you get prompted to hit in sequence) rather than wasting time blocking/dodging a single attack.  I know some of the videos made AoC combat seem somewhat like a Dark Messiah of M&M but this is not really the case.  It is still quiet similar to existing MMOs.  A game like Tabula Rasa has more player skill based combat than AoC does.  I still enjoy combat in AoC but just trying to dispel the myth that it is something revolutionary.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 24, 2008, 05:10:03 PM »

Quote from: skystride on April 24, 2008, 04:05:49 PM

This is exactly how AoC feels.  But instead of auto-attack swinging, you have to hit 1,2,3.

Right. You actually have to hit a key if you want to attack something. True for every RPG out there that features combat and doesn't have an auto-attack.

Dodging is useless unless you solved the Matrix and can predict which direction the enemy will swing from.

I didn't find dodging useful for dodging blows but found it incredibly useful for quickly flanking someone or positioning myself to knock them off of a cliff. Since a lot of combos have lead up animations I can see the potential for dodging one that you're familiar with.

Blocking is useless and it drains your stamina too quickly.

Could be, didn't mess with blocking much. Seemed at least somewhat useful in PvE. Maybe the stamina use will be adjusted.

You are better of trying to go for combos (i.e. a string of key strokes that you get prompted to hit in sequence) rather than wasting time blocking/dodging a single attack.

Even better to dodge out of the way of their combo and THEN unleash yours. Like I said before, if you take the time to practice the combat you can do some interesting stuff.

I know some of the videos made AoC combat seem somewhat like a Dark Messiah of M&M but this is not really the case.

agreed

It is still quiet similar to existing MMOs.

disagree. Somewhat similar, maybe, and yes, you can stand toe to toe and whack a mole if you choose but I found that moving and dodging during fights as well as actively attacking instead of auto attacking made the combat feel much more engaging.

I still enjoy combat in AoC but just trying to dispel the myth that it is something revolutionary.

Revolutionary, no. A big step in an interesting direction, yes.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 05:11:39 PM by Gryndyl » Logged

StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2008, 06:11:42 PM »

Which is IMO a good thing - something revolutionary different would scare off a lot off people.

BTW, thank you guys for all the answers.

Has anyone played any of the caster classes? Or heard anything about them? I wonder how the casters "feel" gameplay wise. We have 2 pet classes here (and pet classes are my soft spot smile), how is the pet control, pathfinding and AI? Do casters ever participate in melee or are they strictly range fighters? Are the pets good tanks (at least for playing solo)? What's the difference between necros and demos? Are there any fun spells besides just the nukes?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 24, 2008, 07:31:25 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
psssttt... One batch is marked "coming soon." Maybe I'll finally get a key... icon_biggrin

Though if my boss sees the Age of Conan splash page, I am so doomed... paranoid

btw, is there some way to automate a browser refresh button that doesn't involve hacking?  icon_confused
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 07:35:11 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: April 24, 2008, 07:38:45 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on April 24, 2008, 06:11:42 PM

Which is IMO a good thing - something revolutionary different would scare off a lot off people.

BTW, thank you guys for all the answers.

Has anyone played any of the caster classes? Or heard anything about them? I wonder how the casters "feel" gameplay wise. We have 2 pet classes here (and pet classes are my soft spot smile), how is the pet control, pathfinding and AI? Do casters ever participate in melee or are they strictly range fighters? Are the pets good tanks (at least for playing solo)? What's the difference between necros and demos? Are there any fun spells besides just the nukes?

HERES some info on the rogue and caster classes. Seems the Demo is a 1 pet guy that mainly buffs as its pet skills. The Necro seems to be able to summon an army of undead.

Oh and a PVP video...

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/play/26763/PC/Age-of-Conan-Hyborian-Adventures
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 07:51:15 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: April 24, 2008, 08:00:38 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 24, 2008, 07:31:25 PM

btw, is there some way to automate a browser refresh button that doesn't involve hacking?  icon_confused
[/spoiler]

All I did was create a bookmark on the bookmark toolbar of Firefox that is the link from the main page (NOTE - the 'denied' page is NOT the same page as where it tries to redirect you in the first place) and clicked it every 5 minutes or so.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 24, 2008, 08:02:41 PM »

They're already gone. I give up. I don't have time to hit F5 every 30 seconds like Pavlov's Dog.  mad icon_lol I'll live. I guess it's about time I install Pirates of the Burning Sea on the new PC anywho.

*sets sail* retard

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 24, 2008, 08:48:17 PM »

I'm not sure if they changed the way they were doing it over the last couple of days, but I was sent an email to tell me I had a key available.  So I'm not sure why the need for the refresh on a particular page...

Also I got another email today saying some of their emails were getting rejected and sent back, so you should install some "Fileplanet Comrade" thingy.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 24, 2008, 09:00:50 PM »

I'm going to purchase this game day 1, the only thing to decide is what pre-order bonus to get.  War Elephant, Rhino, or some Bow?

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 24, 2008, 09:01:38 PM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on April 24, 2008, 05:10:03 PM

disagree. Somewhat similar, maybe, and yes, you can stand toe to toe and whack a mole if you choose but I found that moving and dodging during fights as well as actively attacking instead of auto attacking made the combat feel much more engaging.

About as engaging as playing classes with positional based attacks in other MMOs?  For example when I played a rogue class in EQ2 I would stun my opponent and jump behind him and perform a backstab attack.  AoC does have more classes (most of them?) with positional attack than any other MMO.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 24, 2008, 09:04:51 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on April 24, 2008, 06:11:42 PM

Are the pets good tanks (at least for playing solo)? What's the difference between necros and demos?

I hear necro pets are very weak tanks.  I don't think they are designed to be in that role.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 24, 2008, 09:52:02 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on April 24, 2008, 09:00:50 PM

I'm going to purchase this game day 1, the only thing to decide is what pre-order bonus to get.  War Elephant, Rhino, or some Bow?
I would've preferred a rhino, but the ease of ordering from Gamestop won out.  I've read that you can only get the rhino from pre-ordering in the store at best buy and there aren't any close enough for me.

Combined with the unlikelyhood of me hitting level 40 anyway, I'll take the mammoth
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 24, 2008, 10:00:30 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 24, 2008, 09:52:02 PM

Combined with the unlikelyhood of me hitting level 40 anyway, I'll take the mammoth
You aren't taking a vacation for AoC?  You'll be 80 in a week ! ninja
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 24, 2008, 10:33:16 PM »

I'm taking 2 weeks for WAR, and 1 week for Gencon.  I think that's enough gaming vacations for this year slywink
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 24, 2008, 11:54:26 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 24, 2008, 10:33:16 PM

I'm taking 2 weeks for WAR, and 1 week for Gencon.  I think that's enough gaming vacations for this year slywink

Isn't it a bit presumptuous to assume WAR will make it out this year?   slywink
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 25, 2008, 12:14:25 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 24, 2008, 11:54:26 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on April 24, 2008, 10:33:16 PM

Isn't it a bit presumptuous to assume WAR will make it out this year?   slywink

pfft, coming from the King of ASSumptions, I'll chuckle heh, I kid I kid... or do I? 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 25, 2008, 12:53:59 AM »

WAR?

you mean Warhammer?

Because I can,
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: April 25, 2008, 02:32:36 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 24, 2008, 10:29:24 AM

How many times are you going to post to let us know you think the game is overpriced?

You missed my point.

It's not that Conan is overpriced.  It's that I'm tired of paying to play a MMO on day one when it almost always is still technically in beta status for a good 3-4 months (if not longer) after release. 

I'm preferring to wait it out.  And right now, I can't /afford/ $50 (or $60), so there's that too.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: April 25, 2008, 02:33:54 AM »

Quote from: morlac on April 24, 2008, 01:43:06 PM

Excellent we will all be level 30 by then and you can follow us around and carry our vendor junk and act as bait for the pvpers Tongue

Hah. smile

That's okay, I've yet to max-level in any MMO smile
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: April 25, 2008, 02:38:15 AM »

Just to clarify.

I'm not hating on Age of Conan.  I'm actually very interested in the game.  What I /am/ though, is burned out on the standard release pattern on any given MMO.  I have a shelf full of them, and I realized a while back that I spent quite a bit on them, then the expansions, and so on, and so on.... and each of the games changed dramatically through the time after it was created.  So I'd be better off waiting a while on all fronts. 

After all, I'm more of a casual player, I probably will never have 30-40 hours a week to play any given MMO, so the odds on me being l33t and getting max level and all are slim...so why join the throng? 

Just wanted to toss that out there, since I got the feeling someone thought I was dogging the game itself.

FWIW, I hope Funcom has an excellent launch, and has a stellar product.  They deserve it.  I've personally been a fan of theirs since Anarchy Online, which I betaed, and was an Advisor for 2 years in.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 25, 2008, 03:15:54 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 25, 2008, 12:53:59 AM

WAR?

you mean Warhammer?

Age of Reckoning.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 25, 2008, 03:23:56 AM »

WAR?

you mean Warhammer?

Warhammer: Age of Reckoning(sp?)

edit: should have read to the end instead of trying to show CK's ignorance!  damnit, now I'm the dumb one!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: April 25, 2008, 03:25:31 AM »

Quote from: skystride on April 25, 2008, 03:15:54 AM

WAR?

you mean Warhammer?

edit: should have read to the end instead of trying to show CK's ignorance!  damnit, now I'm the dumb one!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.  I'm annoyed at their marketing attempt to get people to call it WAR for some reason.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 25, 2008, 04:09:09 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 25, 2008, 03:25:31 AM

Quote from: skystride on April 25, 2008, 03:15:54 AM

WAR?

you mean Warhammer?

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.  I'm annoyed at their marketing attempt to get people to call it WAR for some reason. 

so it should be WOAR then.

sounds like something Barbara Walters would say  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: