http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 11:46:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan - All Your Questions Are Belong to Us!  (Read 76397 times)
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 21, 2008, 08:29:42 PM »

You still have to have a broadband connection and log into the servers to play to 20.

The "solo" play to 20 is a bit of a misconception. In reality, the only part that is *truly* solo is from 1-5. After that you enter Tortage and are running around with other players. You have a "Destiny" series of quests to complete to get out of Tortage and into the real world, and these specific quests are solo instances. However, in order to gain enough XP and enough levels to complete the Destiny quest path, you'll end up having to do plenty of non-Destiny quests, which can be completed solo or with a group.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 21, 2008, 09:23:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 21, 2008, 03:41:14 PM

System Requirements have been announced!

Minimum configuration (1024x768, detail reduced)

• Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz or equivalent
        • RAM: 1GB
          Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better
        • Video memory: 128MB
        • DVD-ROM: Quad-speed (4x) DVD-ROM drive
        • HARD DRIVE SPACE: 30GB

Recommended configuration (Up to 1280X960, most features on)

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz or equivalent
        • RAM: 2048MB Dual Channel DDR2
        • Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or equivalent
        • Video memory: 512MB
        • DVD-ROM: Quad-speed (4x) DVD-ROM drive
        • HARD DRIVE SPACE: 30GB

Online Gaming;

• Broadband connection required.

30 gig of HD space!  I guess they couldn't cut it down alot from the beta  disgust
I am majorly happy I broke down and got the new PC the other day. I've already babbled about it too much, but it has 1 terabyte of hard drive space (two 500-GB drives) and I know that even though that seemed an obscene amount of space a year ago, game install sizes are only going to get worse and worse (and presumably eventually switch from DVD to Blue-Ray at some point). So I'll enjoy being ahead of the curve for hard drive space for once in my life... while it lasts.  paranoid

I'm slightly bummed that the "news" about a separate, optimized 64-bit executable turned out to be a misunderstanding  crybaby (http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/26022).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 09:26:49 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2008, 09:38:05 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 21, 2008, 08:29:42 PM

You still have to have a broadband connection and log into the servers to play to 20.

The "solo" play to 20 is a bit of a misconception. In reality, the only part that is *truly* solo is from 1-5. After that you enter Tortage and are running around with other players. You have a "Destiny" series of quests to complete to get out of Tortage and into the real world, and these specific quests are solo instances. However, in order to gain enough XP and enough levels to complete the Destiny quest path, you'll end up having to do plenty of non-Destiny quests, which can be completed solo or with a group.

Sounds similar to LOTRO's opening, moving you from solo to the outside "main" world?

What about the post 20 game?  Is it more heavy on instances?  Quests?  Solo or grouping both viable?  Is there any sort of "mentor" feature that makes grouping with disparate levels possible?
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 22, 2008, 12:47:54 AM »

Yes, it's similar to LOTRO's structure.

Post-20 I can't really say, just because I haven't played enough in it to speak authoritatively. Of course it's both solo and group viable and is very quest-centric, but as far as a mentor feature or the amount of instancing, I really don't know.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 22, 2008, 12:58:02 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 21, 2008, 06:33:13 PM

Yeah, I've already made my mind up that I'm going with a PvE server, and saving PvP for the end-game. I do not have the patience for a FFA PvP server when 80% of my time is going to be spent recovering from being ganked repeatedly.

yeah, I'm thinking PVE too unless they have a way to flag yourself as non-PVP.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 22, 2008, 05:30:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 22, 2008, 12:58:02 AM

Quote from: YellowKing on April 21, 2008, 06:33:13 PM

Yeah, I've already made my mind up that I'm going with a PvE server, and saving PvP for the end-game. I do not have the patience for a FFA PvP server when 80% of my time is going to be spent recovering from being ganked repeatedly.

yeah, I'm thinking PVE too unless they have a way to flag yourself as non-PVP.

Most likely they don't, it wouldn't be a FFA PvP if they did.

Definitely a PvE server for me, for the same reason as mentioned above - as much as I like PvP servers in general, nowadays I simply don't have time and patience that is required to play there.

Can't wait for the game. I had a dream about it the other night and that's when I know I am really hyped up about the game. biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2008, 12:12:01 AM »

IT'S GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Durham, USA – April 22, 2008 – After four years of development co-publishers Funcom and Eidos are proud to announce that Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures has gone gold. One of the most highly anticipated MMO games in history is about to hit the store shelves, and the gates to the world of the mighty barbarian will soon be open to the millions of gamers around the world.

“Even though it feels like this great adventure is coming to an end, it’s really not at all. The launch is just the beginning” says Game Director/Producer Gaute Godager. “I believe we have created a game that will stand the test of time by its own accord, but we are already busy planning future features and expansions. We want to continue expanding Conan’s world for many years to come, and we have great ideas on what to do!”

After years of development and testing Age of Conan is now finally ready for prime time! To prepare for launch, tens of thousands of players have tested the Beta, enabling Funcom to polish the game prior to going live. While the game gets closer to release the anticipation for the title is also building steadily. Just last week 475.000 unique visitors went to the official Age of Conan websites, and the pre-order numbers in some important retail chains track as among the highest for any MMO launched.

“Age of Conan has been in development for a long time, as with all MMOs, but we have spent that time well and ended up with a game we are incredibly proud of,” says Funcom CEO Trond Arne Aas. “Creating a game of such epic proportions is an ambitious and challenging task, but we believe we have truly succeeded in realizing the vision of the game. We simply can’t wait to let the players in and let them experience the amazing adventures we have created.

Age of Conan is consistently mentioned as one of the most anticipated PC games in development. At launch the game will have received more than thirty covers on high-profile gaming magazines across the globe and more than fifteen major awards, including numerous "Best MMO of E3" awards and the official "Best Online Game" award at the Games Convention 2007. Age of Conan is a key title in Microsoft's Games for Windows line-up, and a showcase title for nVidia. Age of Conan launches 20th of May in North America / Oceania and 23rd of May in Europe

For more information or to pre-order Age of Conan – either in English, German, French or Spanish – visit the official website at www.ageofconan.com where you also can access the respective community websites.

no more delays!!!

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 23, 2008, 02:58:32 AM »

Unless the stress test is a disaster.  saywhat paranoid

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 23, 2008, 02:59:52 AM »

Well, I guess I need to get this thing pre-ordered soon.  Hoping to get in to the fileplanet beta to test performance, but going by the posted specs it should run on low settings for me at least.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 23, 2008, 04:03:13 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 23, 2008, 02:58:32 AM

Unless the stress test is a disaster.  saywhat paranoid

like that's ever stopped anyone before  slywink

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 23, 2008, 04:33:47 AM »

Something called Atomic Gamer has some impressions from a recent PVP Beta weekend event, which I guess is similar to the stress test:
http://www.atomicgamer.com/article.php?id=554

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2008, 11:36:15 AM »

Not a bad little writeup at Atomic.  I don't like this so much:

"The game has some pretty challenging performance issues, and while the graphics are really good, the number of pauses and skips as the game loads this stuff up can get really irritating. From the talk of other players in the chat, feeding Conan super-fast CPUs, gobs of RAM, and dual $500 video card setups helps somewhat, but it won't eliminate the issue. I hope that these issues can be ironed out for release, and in the case of MMO launches, this has happened in the past as debug code has been turned off and final optimizations went into place."

So YK... what's your final decision?  IN? or OUT?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 23, 2008, 12:23:44 PM »

One thing I've noticed and that devs have confirmed is that the longer you stay in the game, the better your performance, due to textures and such loading into cache. New areas do have a lot of stutter, but it tends to smooth out after a minute or two. Make no mistake, however, the game will take a beefy computer to run well at high settings. I'm running a dual core, 4GB RAM, 8800GTX Vista-64 machine. With almost everything turned up, I get around 40-45fps. I'm hoping performance continues to improve; I've noticed improvements with every major patch they've pushed out. Note that this is on a DX9 build; they did not release the DX10 client to beta testers.

As for my final decision? IN.  I've been very impressed with the polish that has been applied over the last 3 weeks or so. It's not perfect (no MMO ever is), but I've consistently had fun with it during my time in beta. The fact that I've been playing almost nightly for over 2 months now, despite character wipes, game-killing bugs, performance issues, having to run through the same content over and over again, etc. tells me there is something there that I obviously enjoy. The game as it stands today is not the most polished MMO I've played at this stage (that honor would belong to WoW or LOTRO), but it is well ahead of most MMOs at launch. The fact that the devs are obviously running more advanced builds internally (something that has always been a myth in other games I've played, but damn if I haven't seen it with my own eyes in this one) - gives me a lot of confidence that things will continue to improve rapidly.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 23, 2008, 01:25:07 PM »

After looking back over the MMO years all the way to UO I realize Ive never once bought a MMO that I didn't get to beta test. Now lately I haven't bought ones Ive tested even though they were good like LotRO. But I definately never even considered one I didn't get into beta with. I hope Conan pulls it off and in a few months I can play. But Im not sure with life right now so we'll see. Got a urologist appointment to keep Tongue

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 23, 2008, 02:12:25 PM »

I'll give it a whirl. I think most of us MMO lovers will.  Not holding out too much hope that this will win my gaming dollars for more than a couple of months, but I love being surprised.

You just never know...

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 23, 2008, 04:45:25 PM »

Curious how healers are. Never played one, but they are always in demand. Thinking about maybe going this route.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 23, 2008, 05:51:18 PM »

How many different classes again?  There's a bunch, no?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 23, 2008, 06:35:11 PM »

12 classes. 3 tanks, 3 healers, 3 rogues (DPS), and 3 magic classes. In *general* each archetype tends to have one class that is a "pure" version of the archetype (i.e. Guardian is a pure tank), and two hybrids with their own strengths and weaknesses. My gut feeling at this stage is that every class will be able to hold its own solo to some extent due to the PvP focus, and that ultimately each class will have specific roles in high-end raid content and siege PvP.

I did not play any healers thoroughly in beta so they're probably the class archetype I'm least familiar with, but from what I've read they will be involved not only in healing but crowd control.

Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 23, 2008, 08:24:51 PM »

It looks like they're trying to eliminate a lot of the 'whack-a-mole' from the healer side of things.  From the videos I've seen of the level 20 pvp weekend, the main healing class depends on an AoE heal and a cone-of-effect healing spell. 

So, for the Priest of Mitra, it's all about positioning your allies so that they get hit by their cone of healing spell.  There's no individual healing targeting.  Not sure if that follows the Bear Shaman and Tempest of Set classes as well, but it shows Funcom is trying to switch things up a bit.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 23, 2008, 08:53:49 PM »

Got my fileplanet key and am downloading the client now, tho it doesn't start until May 1st.  Download is only 12 GB, then I assume a ton of patching afterwards.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: April 23, 2008, 08:57:12 PM »

I'm not going to buy Conan (or any other MMO) for at least 6-8 months after release, to let them patch all the bugs out, and to let the price drop.  ESPECIALLY as Conan is a $60 game. Tongue
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 23, 2008, 08:59:37 PM »

Good call, Arkon. If you start now, you just *might* be finished patching by May.  icon_biggrin

From the videos I've seen of the level 20 pvp weekend, the main healing class depends on an AoE heal and a cone-of-effect healing spell.

This is true of some of the mage classes as well. Cone-of-effect spells where you need to maneuver in order to hit multiple mobs. Better or worse, I don't know, but at least it's different. I do give them credit for shaking things up a bit, though. Some of the classes like Demonologist and even the Barbarian have some neat twists on their standard archetypes.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 23, 2008, 09:08:38 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 23, 2008, 08:59:37 PM

Good call, Arkon. If you start now, you just *might* be finished patching by May.  icon_biggrin

From the videos I've seen of the level 20 pvp weekend, the main healing class depends on an AoE heal and a cone-of-effect healing spell.

This is true of some of the mage classes as well. Cone-of-effect spells where you need to maneuver in order to hit multiple mobs. Better or worse, I don't know, but at least it's different. I do give them credit for shaking things up a bit, though. Some of the classes like Demonologist and even the Barbarian have some neat twists on their standard archetypes.

So any recommendations on what class to start off with YK?  I was thinking something warrior based or stealth based.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 23, 2008, 10:19:46 PM »

Read the class descriptions on the AoC website and go from there.  Certain races can only be certain classes.  For instance Stygians can be all the caster types while I think the Cimmerians are limited to the Bear Shaman; Cimmerians inherently distrust magic.  Races are not that limiting as you can travel to the other areas and group with anyone.  Forget the concept of Horde Versus Alliance or Imperial versus Rebels.

I liked the Assassin and my buddy likes the Barbarian; both are in the "rogue" category.  Cimmerians can be Barbarians while Stygians and Aquelonians can be Assassins.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 23, 2008, 11:19:16 PM »

Mini derail: I just realized why I was confused; there's a *Zarkon* AND an *Arkon* here! 

Back OT: The Fileplanet Beta thing might be a perfect opportunity to try out the different classes and get a feel for what you want as your main at release.  I'll probably try out all 3 healers and a couple caster classes if I get enough time, though I've pretty much already decided my first main will be a Priest of Mitra (seemed to play similar to Cleric class from DAOC).
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 23, 2008, 11:20:12 PM »

I got into the Fileplanet beta and I preordered the game.  Lets hope this is good smile  I am liking what I have seen so far though. 

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 23, 2008, 11:29:18 PM »

Having the beta only for Vileplanet subscribers is a bad move. I use everything but Vileplanet for free and at the same speeds or better.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: April 23, 2008, 11:58:53 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on April 23, 2008, 08:57:12 PM

I'm not going to buy Conan (or any other MMO) for at least 6-8 months after release, to let them patch all the bugs out, and to let the price drop.  ESPECIALLY as Conan is a $60 game. Tongue

While I read somewhere that Conan was a $60 title, a quick scan of prices just about everywhere showed that the game was $50 still. Yes, this was this morning, but I don't see them doing something as stupid as trying out console prices on the PC.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: April 24, 2008, 12:20:21 AM »

I'll see you guys in Hyboria when it's $30. biggrin
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 24, 2008, 01:13:25 AM »

So any recommendations on what class to start off with YK?  I was thinking something warrior based or stealth based.

I've played a Barbarian, Assassin, Conqueror, Dark Templar, and Guardian past 20. My favorite of those would be Conqueror for the tank class and Assassin for the rogue class.

Conquerors are interesting in that they can be built for either offense or defense, so if you want to be a tank but want to have the flexibility to do some damage, you can really customize them. They also serve as good group buffers. Nice well-rounded class, and they are already very popular in beta.

The Assassin is a straight-up damage dealer, and the closest to a true "rogue" that the game has. If you want to play the traditional hard-hitting thief, this is the class for you.

As for the others I mentioned:

Barbarian - this guy I haven't quite figured out yet. He's a DPSer (rogue), but he's not going to put out as much damage as the Assassin or possibly even the Ranger. And he doesn't have the defense to hold up to the tanks. So what's his purpose? Well, he is basically one of the closest approximations to a "true" barbarian I've seen in an MMO (doesn't wear plate armor, goes berserk, etc.) While early on I just didn't understand his role, I think this could be a fun and challenging class over the long haul. Supposedly later on, barbarians can feed off each others' rage, which could be pretty cool in groups.

Guardian - hands down the best tank. If you want to be THE tank, choose a Guardian and you won't be disappointed.

Dark Templar - this is your basic Shadowknight class. Nice mix of magic and melee. I've had fun with this one, though ultimately it would probably be my third choice of the tank classes.

I guess the only tank/rogue I didn't mention is the Ranger. I didn't play one very far, but I've heard they are very powerful, and they are also a popular class.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 24, 2008, 01:19:04 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on April 24, 2008, 12:20:21 AM

I'll see you guys in Hyboria when it's $30. biggrin

given the rate the price drops on any MMORPG lately that should only be a couple of months.

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 24, 2008, 01:52:08 AM »

Quote from: drifter on April 23, 2008, 10:19:46 PM

Read the class descriptions on the AoC website and go from there.  Certain races can only be certain classes.  For instance Stygians can be all the caster types while I think the Cimmerians are limited to the Bear Shaman; Cimmerians inherently distrust magic.  Races are not that limiting as you can travel to the other areas and group with anyone.  Forget the concept of Horde Versus Alliance or Imperial versus Rebels.

I liked the Assassin and my buddy likes the Barbarian; both are in the "rogue" category.  Cimmerians can be Barbarians while Stygians and Aquelonians can be Assassins.

Yeah I have read the class descriptions... I was looking more for suggestions on what class of those two types would be the easiest introduction to the game. 
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 24, 2008, 01:52:59 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 24, 2008, 01:13:25 AM

I've played a Barbarian, Assassin, Conqueror, Dark Templar, and Guardian past 20. My favorite of those would be Conqueror for the tank class and Assassin for the rogue class.

Conquerors are interesting in that they can be built for either offense or defense, so if you want to be a tank but want to have the flexibility to do some damage, you can really customize them. They also serve as good group buffers. Nice well-rounded class, and they are already very popular in beta.

The Assassin is a straight-up damage dealer, and the closest to a true "rogue" that the game has. If you want to play the traditional hard-hitting thief, this is the class for you.

As for the others I mentioned:

Barbarian - this guy I haven't quite figured out yet. He's a DPSer (rogue), but he's not going to put out as much damage as the Assassin or possibly even the Ranger. And he doesn't have the defense to hold up to the tanks. So what's his purpose? Well, he is basically one of the closest approximations to a "true" barbarian I've seen in an MMO (doesn't wear plate armor, goes berserk, etc.) While early on I just didn't understand his role, I think this could be a fun and challenging class over the long haul. Supposedly later on, barbarians can feed off each others' rage, which could be pretty cool in groups.

Guardian - hands down the best tank. If you want to be THE tank, choose a Guardian and you won't be disappointed.

Dark Templar - this is your basic Shadowknight class. Nice mix of magic and melee. I've had fun with this one, though ultimately it would probably be my third choice of the tank classes.

I guess the only tank/rogue I didn't mention is the Ranger. I didn't play one very far, but I've heard they are very powerful, and they are also a popular class.

Thanks YK, I was considering either straight Guardian or Assassin but the Conqueror sounds really cool.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 24, 2008, 02:33:41 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 23, 2008, 11:29:18 PM

Having the beta only for Vileplanet subscribers is a bad move. I use everything but Vileplanet for free and at the same speeds or better.

Right, you use everything else EXCEPT the exclusive betas that only come with a fileplanet sub.  Seeing as they had more than enough folks trying to get in how's it a bad move exactly?

morlac00 on PSN
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 24, 2008, 03:05:58 AM »

If it makes non-members feel any better, I already missed out on today's keys. If they're even going to make Fileplanet subscribers scratch and claw for a lousy key, maybe I'll decide there's a better way to waste my time.  disgust Nah, just kidding. I couldn't get home until late, hopefully I can eek in tomorrow morning.  icon_neutral

I understand their desire to "control" the entry into the closed beta, but most "stress betas" make it more widely available because, afterall, isn't that what stress is all about? Assuming the hype doesn't die out before launch, their servers will be flooded opening day unless they've somehow succeeded in stopping their publisher from offering more pre-orders than their servers can reasonably support (afik just about every over-hyped MMO has failed on that to some degree). Even if it's just for a weekend, you might as well make it as widely available as possible and see what the servers can withstand.

Sure I'm glad to have a chance as a subscriber, I just find it a funny way to handle a 'stress beta' test. icon_confused

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: April 24, 2008, 03:18:40 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 24, 2008, 03:05:58 AM

Sure I'm glad to have a chance as a subscriber, I just find it a funny way to handle a 'stress beta' test. icon_confused

And a very poor chance, based on how things have gone so far. I was watching the signup page on Vileplanet for a few hours now, hitting refresh every so often.

Batch 2 of the keys vanished in under 5 minutes.

Either VERY few keys are being given out, or this game is absurdly popular in the vein of WoW proportions.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: April 24, 2008, 03:28:37 AM »

Yeah.  Along with my decision to not play a game for the first 4-6-8 months of it's existance....I'm also not going for betas.  Of course...I'm not being INVITED to betas, so it's not a big deal, but I haven't applied to anything this year (applied to Conan and Warhammer last year, so that doesn't count). 

Oh, and then there's mythos, but I don't consider that so much a beta. biggrin
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: April 24, 2008, 04:20:06 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 24, 2008, 03:18:40 AM

Batch 2 of the keys vanished in under 5 minutes.

Either VERY few keys are being given out, or this game is absurdly popular in the vein of WoW proportions.

I think they said they're expecting 500,000+ people at launch, which would be a massive amount of people.  

Quote from: Blackjack on April 24, 2008, 03:05:58 AM

If it makes non-members feel any better, I already missed out on today's keys. If they're even going to make Fileplanet subscribers scratch and claw for a lousy key, maybe I'll decide there's a better way to waste my time.  disgust Nah, just kidding. I couldn't get home until late, hopefully I can eek in tomorrow morning.  icon_neutral

I understand their desire to "control" the entry into the closed beta, but most "stress betas" make it more widely available because, afterall, isn't that what stress is all about? Assuming the hype doesn't die out before launch, their servers will be flooded opening day unless they've somehow succeeded in stopping their publisher from offering more pre-orders than their servers can reasonably support (afik just about every over-hyped MMO has failed on that to some degree). Even if it's just for a weekend, you might as well make it as widely available as possible and see what the servers can withstand.

The problem with just opening the floodgates is potentially multi-fold.  First off is that you have no control over how many people sign-up and it could vastly surpass the system's planned capacity causing major problems or failure.  And of course when there are hundreds of thousands of pissed off gamers on the internet complaining about how the servers kept crashing or lag was horrible or whatever, it tends to not be such a good thing for the product before it's major launch.  Obviously they need to stress test things, but trying to put 20 gallons of shit in a 10 gallon tank is a recipe for disaster. slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 24, 2008, 06:10:55 AM »

I normally play melee/tank types and never a healer but I might just go with Bear Shaman as my main since they seem to be actively involved in melee combat but can also fill the healer role.  I've heard that Guardians have the best dps and tanking of the tank classes which is a little odd.  Rangers are really powerful in the beginning but I've seen some reports from high level rangers that the damage doesn't scale well and they are very weak in the end game.  Of course all this will probably change with many balance passes coming over the next few months.

Edit: Funny, right after posting this I find out about a ranger nerf.  According to a developer: "The ranger was toned down at lower levels.  Rangers should be high on the dps list after assassins, barbarian and demo".  This change is not in beta yet but was in PvP weekend.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 06:30:22 AM by skystride » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 24, 2008, 09:52:13 AM »

Missed out as well on the beta keys - I really want in though, love the setting, and the idea behind the game...and, the few videos and screenies I've seen looks quite promising.

A new one
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: