http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 01:10:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan - All Your Questions Are Belong to Us!  (Read 76060 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 17, 2008, 06:01:13 PM »

Is it safe to assume when this "open" beta starts, the NDA will be lifted?  Has that been standard procedure for MMO's is the past?  I'm sort of curious.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 17, 2008, 06:08:25 PM »

I heard AoC has narrow zones without the ability to run around which would remove the immersion factor for me.

I heard (I am not in the beta) that it is the case for the first 20 levels or so - kind of an introductionary zone. After that it's all wide open. Maybe some little bird (that leveled up beyond lvl 20) can clarify this.

And yes, usually NDA is lifted around the time Open Beta starts.

I am thinking about subscribing to Fileplanet for this. Not sure if 2 weeks of beta are worth it though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2008, 06:43:18 PM »

Quote from: Jag on April 17, 2008, 02:14:12 PM

Anyone pre-ordering the CE? I'm on the fence on that.

I'm waiting to find out who will have the Rhino.  depending on who does it will be either them or Gamestop that I get the CE from.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 17, 2008, 09:16:31 PM »

Im planning on waiting a while after release to see how its recieved then playing. Ill just ride a horse if I have to to save money. If its as bad as that tech test let on Ill pass altogether like Ive done with most MMOs lately.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: April 18, 2008, 02:30:41 AM »

Quote from: Jag on April 17, 2008, 02:14:12 PM

Anyone pre-ordering the CE? I'm on the fence on that.

I've got my preorder in at Amazon for now.  Mostly because it's so much cheaper but the War Mammoth does tweak my buttons. 

I hate the fact that the "open" beta is for FilePlanet subscribers only. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 18, 2008, 04:39:36 AM »

I know it's a long shot but if anyone has a key for the beta pvp weekend that they can't use...  ninja

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2008, 12:55:36 PM »

Here's the details (Gryn already mentioned), for those wanting the nitsy-gritsy:
Durham, USA – April 17th, 2008 – Funcom, Eidos and IGN are proud to announce that Open Beta for Age of Conan will start on May 1. The Open Beta will be hosted exclusively by IGN’s popular game download site, FilePlanet.com, as well as being offered through partner IGN sites such as Gamespy.com, Tentonhammer.com and Warcry.com.

The application pages at FilePlanet.com are now open for registrations [I've checked, and right now it's still saying "will open next week"-bj], and gamers from across the world can sign up. As 50.000 gamers prepare their Hyborian assault, rivers of blood are about to flow, and it’s exclusively available through FilePlanet and IGN partner sites.

“When we started development of Age of Conan four and a half years ago we truly wanted to move away from the standards of the MMO genre. We wanted to bring something new, exciting and fresh to the gamers,” said Gaute Godager, Game Director on Age of Conan. “As we get ready to show everyone what Conan’s savage world is all about, we need final stress testing. Teaming up with the Beta Masters at IGN was a perfect opportunity for us! We simply couldn’t ask for a better partner for this crucial stage of our Beta.” “The IGN and FilePlanet audience has consistently told us that Age of Conan is one of their most anticipated games of the year, and we are very pleased to partner with Funcom and Eidos on the Open Beta,” says Senior Vice President of Consumer Products at IGN, Jamie Berger. “The Funcom team has developed a truly unique, visceral gaming experience that players will have to see to believe.”

Funcom would like to point out that the primary function of the Open Beta is to stress test Age of Conan prior to launch. This means that Funcom will not make the entire game available to the Open Beta testers, and a level 13 cap will be applied. The Beta experience will still give hours and hours of entertainment, and complete class and culture variety, while at the same time giving Funcom the needed focus for an Open Beta.

You are required to be a FilePlanet member in order to sign up for the Open Beta. Preloading of the client will start prior to the launch of the Open Beta, and applicants will receive more information should they receive a beta key. The Open Beta will start on the 1st of May at 1500 GMT / 0900 EST.
So no, I wouldn't think they're lifting the NDA, since this open beta is so limited (see the underlined). This is a "stress test," as they say.

Here's the Fileplanet signup link:
http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/ageofconan/reg_form.aspx
It's a little confusingly worded. You don't need to be a Fileplanet subscriber to receive notification when stress test beta signups begin - but you do need to be a Fileplanet or Founders subscriber to participate this way. I'll try this way (I'm an FP subscriber).

I'd just like to see whether it's scalable to my crummy old PC. And to see whether our general pants-wetting excitement for something most of us have never played is well-placed or misguided.  smirk
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 01:03:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2008, 06:53:35 PM »

Funcom would like to point out that the primary function of the Open Beta is to stress test Age of Conan prior to launch. This means that Funcom will not make the entire game available to the Open Beta testers, and a level 13 cap will be applied. The Beta experience will still give hours and hours of entertainment, and complete class and culture variety, while at the same time giving Funcom the needed focus for an Open Beta.

Level 13 cap? Ouch. That's just barely enough time to get a taste for the newbie area.

It is true that most classes have their basic foundations in terms of skills/spells by then, but it's just a taste. As for the "hours and hours" part, well...when the game is new and you are still getting used to everything that's probably true. Now that I've run through the newbie stuff multiple times with various alts, I could probably make 13 in 4-5 hours tops.

Still, if you're just looking to get a feel for what the combat system and graphics, etc. are like, I guess it's worth while.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2008, 09:38:32 PM »

For those of you in beta or with access to beta forums, I'd really appreciate hearing your thoughts/comments on the PvP vs. PvE server rulesets and discussions.  Before our forums went down, we were running a poll in Wanderers that was (slightly) favoring the PvP server.  Just wanted to hear any information about that to help with the decision.  PM's or posts here appreciated.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2008, 09:55:50 PM »

My understanding is that PvP rulesets are still being tweaked, and I don't think anybody knows 100% what the official rulesets are going to be at launch.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 19, 2008, 05:06:22 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 18, 2008, 09:55:50 PM

My understanding is that PvP rulesets are still being tweaked, and I don't think anybody knows 100% what the official rulesets are going to be at launch.
If this is true, consider that 3 weeks to release they have yet to openly test PvP rulesets (btw we are strictly talking FFA PvP server here, even the PvE servers have PvP built in).  I would be really worried about "beta testing" the PvP server at launch.  They may claim it's internally tested but the cynic in me believes that a FFA PvP server is pretty low priority for them at this time.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: April 19, 2008, 05:15:52 AM »

I'm not usually that big on the free-for-all, gank-happy kind of PVP server, so I'm pretty sure I'll be going with a PVE server.  I think there should be plenty of other PVP stuff there.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 19, 2008, 07:34:37 AM »

If I play this, I'll definitely be playing on a PVP server.  In all the games I've played I've always had way more fun on the open pvp servers.  DAOC, WOW, AC, EQ2
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 19, 2008, 11:21:59 AM »

Well to clarify, they have had a FFA PvP server up for general beta since forever. So it's not that general PvP itself has not been tested, just that they've been tweaking the rulesets throughout. The devs have been intentionally vague about the final PvP rules and policies. My understanding right now (I have not played the PvP server, so I don't know this for sure), is that the PvP server as it stands right now is pretty much wide open, anything goes, except for some "temporary policies" put into place to cut down on griefing.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 11:24:03 AM by YellowKing » Logged
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: April 19, 2008, 07:34:42 PM »

How did the rhino mount become Canada exclusive?
I thought you got to pick between the mammoth, the rhino or the bow by pre-order package as well as receiving the extra inventory bag.

So the CE gives just the ring and cape?
As for a server preference, I'm all up for a pvp server, as long as we have a good chunk of people that can get together to pound the living crap out of a griever.

Edit: Just noticed that each pre-order link has it's own item from where you purchase it. The 3 day early access will be a nightmare on pvp servers for the rest of the people who get the game.
I cant seem to find what Wallmart is giving as it's pre-order item though..
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 07:52:32 PM by Mikagami » Logged

Gonna eat your face
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 19, 2008, 08:30:57 PM »

Videogamer.com had a neat hands-on focused on mounted combat:
http://www.videogamer.com/pc/age_of_conan/preview-869.html
The Buckskin charges straight into one Nadir, knocking it flying. It then kicks forward, and backwards, causing chaos in the enemy group. Thrud himself is reigning death from above, striking with his swords from both sides. The Nadir were dead before they knew what was killing them.

This is what you can expect from Age of Conan's mounted combat, what we think is the fantasy MMO's most compelling feature. For all the blood, sex, gore and Oblivion-quality graphics in the game, it is, for us, the prospect of charging into a group of enemy players on a horse, kicking them about with mount specific attacks and slicing them up with your own weapons that has got us most excited.
And lots of useful details on how mounted combat works, abilities, limitations etc. Apparently there are enemy NPCs specifically designed to knock you off your mounts so you won't be willy-nillying running roughshod over everyone (both you and the mount take damage it sez).

Player characters can wield weapons while on horses (but not other mounts, more on that later), using the direction-based combat system players will have mastered during their on-foot adventures.

The keys 1, 2 and 3 are your overhead forward attacks, Q and E your left and right uppercuts.

Things can get pretty complex, and fast, especially when faced with multiple enemies and other human players who are also mounted up. Clicking hot-keyed mount attacks with the mouse cursor with one hand while keeping the other hammering away with player attacks is no small feat, but it can be extremely rewarding. After about 10 minutes of play we were able to use the horse's charge attack, which causes the mount to speed towards a single enemy and knock it down, trigger front and rear kicks on surrounding enemies then deal some serious damage with Thrud's twin blades. Sweet.
Lotta detail on the pre-order mounts (they're specific that you *can't* use any of your avatar's attacks while riding the pre-order mounts, but they do have their own cool unique attacks) too:
War Rhino
The War Rhino, a large, grey, intimidating beast, has a charge attack and the useful Rhino Sweep, which can knock down multiple enemies and is perfect for disrupting organised groups.

It's slower and less manoeuvrable than the horse, as you'd expect, so it won't get you from A to B much quicker than walking would. But this is more than made up for by its cool factor - it has four deadly tusks and imposing battle armour.

Press the space bar and it will dig its heels into the ground, as if charging up a particularly devastating attack.

War Mammoth
The War Mammoth feels like snaking a Boeing 747 through a back alley. It's absolutely massive, so big that it needs to kneel down to allow you to clamber up its side. Its special attacks, the Mammoth Charge and the Mammoth Sweep, send multiple enemies flying about 10 feet in the air, making it perhaps the most devastating crowd dispersal weapon in the game.
So there ya go. Still a much better pre-order perk than my stupid red eyes-covering cap for City of Villains.   disgust icon_lol

They're both apparently quite slow, so you may be cursing your choice if you're taking a long trip. And you can't use any of your character's attacks/abilities while riding (only what the pre-order mount's own abilities).

I'm more curious whether you can have multiple mounts (or if you switch them at a stable according to what sort of mount ya need).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 08:34:42 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 19, 2008, 09:19:50 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 19, 2008, 07:34:37 AM

If I play this, I'll definitely be playing on a PVP server.  In all the games I've played I've always had way more fun on the open pvp servers.  DAOC, WOW, AC, EQ2

Just be wary that AoC seems to be extremely quest heavy for leveling up.  If the quest leads you through linear areas which have obvious bottlenecks then you are going to have some serious ganking going on.  If you don't belong to a guild that can break the gank, well might as well quit the game for the night and hope the next day the gankers go away because you won't be able to do anything at all.  In those games you mention, there were always alternatives.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 20, 2008, 06:01:50 AM »

Quote from: skystride on April 19, 2008, 09:19:50 PM

Just be wary that AoC seems to be extremely quest heavy for leveling up.  If the quest leads you through linear areas which have obvious bottlenecks then you are going to have some serious ganking going on.  If you don't belong to a guild that can break the gank, well might as well quit the game for the night and hope the next day the gankers go away because you won't be able to do anything at all.  In those games you mention, there were always alternatives.

If it isn't possible to level up without doing quests (at a reasonable rate) then I won't be playing the game anyway.  I don't enjoy quest-centric games very much.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: April 20, 2008, 06:32:34 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 20, 2008, 06:01:50 AM

If it isn't possible to level up without doing quests (at a reasonable rate) then I won't be playing the game anyway.  I don't enjoy quest-centric games very much.

So if you don't do quests, do you just grind or what?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 20, 2008, 07:18:22 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 20, 2008, 06:32:34 AM

Quote from: Harkonis on April 20, 2008, 06:01:50 AM

So if you don't do quests, do you just grind or what?

I usually do some quests, but I prefer to level off PvP and if that isn't possible then I like having lots of options such as different places to grind and multiple quests to choose from in different areas.  I levelled in DAOC on the PvP server almost entirely from PvP only and it really wasn't all that much slower than questing and was much more fun.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 20, 2008, 03:19:43 PM »

I like options.  Grinding for me is one of them.  I am odd in that I actually like to grind for exp and loot sometimes.  The 'dungeons' in DAOC were great for this.  Some of the best times I had were with a full grp of mostly pickups terrorizing Spindelholm(sp?) the spidery dungeon.  To me there is just something about a finely oiled exp thumping machine.  In one particular session the grp must have stayed together for 5+ hours.  We would move from section to section as folks gained levels to keep the challenge at a high level.  Sure we might have completed a quest or 2 but we were mostly just killing shit and to great effect.  As long as the challenge is constant and the potential for good drops is prevalent I can grind all day.  Hell I was raised on Everquest, it's in my genes  slywink

morlac00 on PSN
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: April 20, 2008, 05:04:03 PM »

Yep for some people grinding is fine, especially if it's something you have enjoyed in the past. For me i just can't stand the grind, heck even in WoW i am so far behind the line when it comes to rep as i hate grinding.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: April 20, 2008, 06:28:40 PM »

Quote from: morlac on April 20, 2008, 03:19:43 PM

As long as the challenge is constant and the potential for good drops is prevalent I can grind all day.  Hell I was raised on Everquest, it's in my genes  slywink

You didn't have any option short of grinding when EQ1 came out. Quite funny to have a game called Everquest and have no real quests in it. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 20, 2008, 07:00:13 PM »

I still like old UO the best and I dont think it had any quests in it. I think when EQ came out it was a big surprise to have NPCs that wanted you to do stuff for them for rewards.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 20, 2008, 11:11:55 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 20, 2008, 07:00:13 PM

I still like old UO the best and I dont think it had any quests in it. I think when EQ came out it was a big surprise to have NPCs that wanted you to do stuff for them for rewards.

I gave up on UO when they made it impossible to loot corpses you didn't kill.  I didn't ninja in and steal someones loot, but you'd have been surprised what people would leave behind and and how much you could you could have made by selling off left behind stuff found on the road between Britain and Trinsic.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 21, 2008, 03:00:46 AM »

I forgot where I read it, but the U.S. servers will apparently be based in the East Coast. Presumably in the Dulles, Va. area in my neck of the woods. Back in 2005, I actually took a photo of a server "farm" building whose roof was turn off by a rare tornado here -- it wiped out some of the then fledgling WoW host servers, and reading a news item about it at a gaming news site made me realize "Holy crap, that's near our newspaper."  icon_smile

So, new PC? Check!
Servers near where I live? Check! [albeit, "probably"]
I'm ready to go.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 03:05:52 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 21, 2008, 03:41:14 PM »

System Requirements have been announced!

Minimum configuration (1024x768, detail reduced)

• Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz or equivalent
        • RAM: 1GB
          Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better
        • Video memory: 128MB
        • DVD-ROM: Quad-speed (4x) DVD-ROM drive
        • HARD DRIVE SPACE: 30GB

Recommended configuration (Up to 1280X960, most features on)

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz or equivalent
        • RAM: 2048MB Dual Channel DDR2
        • Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or equivalent
        • Video memory: 512MB
        • DVD-ROM: Quad-speed (4x) DVD-ROM drive
        • HARD DRIVE SPACE: 30GB

Online Gaming;

• Broadband connection required.

30 gig of HD space!  I guess they couldn't cut it down alot from the beta  disgust

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 21, 2008, 04:37:56 PM »

What are the recommended specs for my monitor's native resolution?! frown

1920x1080
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 21, 2008, 04:42:08 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 21, 2008, 04:37:56 PM

1920x1080

Recommended configuration (Up to 1920x1080, most features on)

• Buy a new top of the line PC n00b

Tongue

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 21, 2008, 05:38:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 21, 2008, 04:42:08 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on April 21, 2008, 04:37:56 PM

1920x1080

Recommended configuration (Up to 1920x1080, most features on)

• Buy a Xbox 360

Tongue

fixed that for you
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 21, 2008, 05:42:33 PM »

I found this little story amusing.  It's from a recent Gamespot interview of the game director.  I'm not sure if it makes me more or less prone to playing on the PvP server:

"GG: I think I will end with a personal story here. I play undercover on the beta, naturally, and the Funcom employees had made an in-game guild called "Incognito" (we figured that being in-your-face was the best way to hide things). I was playing a level 23 conqueror on the PVP beta server, and was loitering around outside Conarch Village in Conalls Valley when I was approached by this level 35 assassin, I think.

He said, "Would you like to leave your guild and join ours? We are a tough, no-nonsense PVP guild. What do you think?"

I replied, "Sounds interesting, but I am sorry--my friends and I just formed this other guild, as you see. Maybe with another character?"

"Too bad for you," he said, and then went on and beheaded me.

Some of you might be a bit puzzled over what is really funny about this story, but to me it is just such a cool, hardcore PVP act...it is like the [epitome] of PVP in Age of Conan. Tough, deadly, and definitely not for kids! "
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 21, 2008, 06:16:07 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 21, 2008, 05:42:33 PM

I found this little story amusing.  It's from a recent Gamespot interview of the game director.  I'm not sure if it makes me more or less prone to playing on the PvP server:

"GG: I think I will end with a personal story here. I play undercover on the beta, naturally, and the Funcom employees had made an in-game guild called "Incognito" (we figured that being in-your-face was the best way to hide things). I was playing a level 23 conqueror on the PVP beta server, and was loitering around outside Conarch Village in Conalls Valley when I was approached by this level 35 assassin, I think.

He said, "Would you like to leave your guild and join ours? We are a tough, no-nonsense PVP guild. What do you think?"

I replied, "Sounds interesting, but I am sorry--my friends and I just formed this other guild, as you see. Maybe with another character?"

Some of you might be a bit puzzled over what is really funny about this story, but to me it is just such a cool, hardcore PVP act...it is like the [epitome] of PVP in Age of Conan. Tough, deadly, and definitely not for kids! "

Except that will be the exception.  Normally the 35 assassin would have killed him before he knew he was there, then he would tea bag him, shout out "take that you noob, I am hardcore, your guild sux, mine rocks....", then he would wait around and gank him 10 more times just for good measure.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2008, 06:33:13 PM »

Yeah, I've already made my mind up that I'm going with a PvE server, and saving PvP for the end-game. I do not have the patience for a FFA PvP server when 80% of my time is going to be spent recovering from being ganked repeatedly.

My experience from EQ2 PvP which I engaged in briefly is that the only good way to survive is to stay grouped and level together. Otherwise it is just an exercise in frustration for me.

I do appreciate the "hardcore" aspect of it all, and I'm sure it makes getting high-level that much more rewarding in the end, but for me it just represents too much of a potential timesink that would be better spent actually gaining XP and progressing in the game.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 21, 2008, 07:01:07 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 21, 2008, 06:16:07 PM

Except that will be the exception.  Normally the 35 assassin would have killed him before he knew he was there, then he would tea bag him, shout out "take that you noob, I am hardcore, your guild sux, mine rocks....", then he would wait around and gank him 10 more times just for good measure.

Having played hundreds of hours of FFA pvp in various games, I've only had what Arkon mentions happen once.  That's it, once.  You do get jumped and killed sometimes, but the kind of prickish attitude described is far more likely in a fps.  The one time it did happen to me?  Lineage 2 BETA and it had a lot to do with the type of people drawn to the game.

Whether or not Conan will have that type of person I don't know (probably will).

I only ran into one trash talking arrogant ass in almost 2 years of Shadowbane, and our guild smacked him so hard and went after his guild so hard that they disowned him to get us to stop.  There are ways to make the world enjoyable yet mostly realistic in it's politics.  I hate pvp when you can't actually defend or police it at all, but I also hate not being able to do something about a griefer.  I've been griefed FAR more often on PvE servers than on PvP servers and you can't even do anything about it short of petitioning for a GM and that doesn't often help.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 21, 2008, 07:03:14 PM »

At the risk of fully exposing my total lack of understanding regarding MMO pvp "stuff" - I have a question.

If repeated 'ganking' (which I assume is being the recipient of getting killed over and over and over again) is such a turnoff to so many people, is there not some way for designers to implement a system that seriously discourages it, without killing the whole concept?

Or is it more a matter of devs wanting to give people total freedom to play however they want, and the downside to that happens to include the 'freedom' to gank to your heart's content?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 21, 2008, 07:10:48 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 21, 2008, 07:01:07 PM

Quote from: Arkon on April 21, 2008, 06:16:07 PM

Having played hundreds of hours of FFA pvp in various games, I've only had what Arkon mentions happen once.  That's it, once.  You do get jumped and killed sometimes, but the kind of prickish attitude described is far more likely in a fps.  The one time it did happen to me?  Lineage 2 BETA and it had a lot to do with the type of people drawn to the game.

Whether or not Conan will have that type of person I don't know (probably will).

I only ran into one trash talking arrogant ass in almost 2 years of Shadowbane, and our guild smacked him so hard and went after his guild so hard that they disowned him to get us to stop.  There are ways to make the world enjoyable yet mostly realistic in it's politics.  I hate pvp when you can't actually defend or police it at all, but I also hate not being able to do something about a griefer.  I've been griefed FAR more often on PvE servers than on PvP servers and you can't even do anything about it short of petitioning for a GM and that doesn't often help.

Well all I know is that when I played on a PvP server on WoW it was like this, I eventually gave up around lvl 54 out of frustration.  It isn't like it was ever a close battle either, 9 times out of 10 the other guy was a good bit higher lvl and I had little chance of fighting back.  Also encountered it with Shadowbane when the game would actually run instead of giving me the dreaded sb.exe error.  Oh and lets not forget the holy grail to most PVP gamers, UO.  All of these suffered from severley immature ganking when I played. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: April 21, 2008, 07:16:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 21, 2008, 03:41:14 PM

Online Gaming;

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way that this is worded is that playing online is optional. In short, if you want to play online, you have to have a broadband connection. We all know that as a MMO, you have to have an online connection to play.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 21, 2008, 07:25:14 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on April 21, 2008, 07:03:14 PM

At the risk of fully exposing my total lack of understanding regarding MMO pvp "stuff" - I have a question.

If repeated 'ganking' (which I assume is being the recipient of getting killed over and over and over again) is such a turnoff to so many people, is there not some way for designers to implement a system that seriously discourages it, without killing the whole concept?

Or is it more a matter of devs wanting to give people total freedom to play however they want, and the downside to that happens to include the 'freedom' to gank to your heart's content?

Msot dev's seem to get lazy and don't want to put a lot of thought and programming into any safeguards to prevent it.  Really in my experience the best way to prevent it from ruining people's games is to make sure people are held accountable for what they do.  If someone spends their time running around killing people at random, they should be feared, but they should also be fearful of something.  In some games they would have NPC guards aggro them, or they couldn't go into towns.  Other games might put a large bounty on the player which makes other players tempted to band together and take them out repeatedly.  

There are always going to be people who enjoy taking people out at every chance, they just need something to balance it.

I was a ganker in WoW on the PvP servers.  I played solo 100% of my time (stopped playing at 66).  Anyone who actually tried to get away or go somewhere else was able to, and many people came back with groups to take me out and/or camp me.  Was great fun being on either side of it and only once did someone get bent out of shape.  Many times I had people who either took me out repeatedly until I figured out how to deal with them, or people I took out repeatedly log onto toons on my side and chat with me about what happened.  Lots of 'nice job, thought I could get you but couldn't' or 'lol, you've got my number today'.  

I find that the best asset I have for enjoying pvp servers is patience.  If I get ganked, I try again, it happens again, I move onto another area or game.  I generally play solo, but make a lot of friends for when I need em.  I can definitely see where if you either have severely limited playtime, or a short temper and/or little patience it's probably not worth your time to even attempt pvp servers and I understand that.  

I just have a terrible time playing vs computer AI in any capacity, it's why I almost exclusively play mp games.  Fighting mobs is more like solving logic puzzles since there are set patterns to see, understand and solve.  I used to really enjoy these, but it's a bit too predictable now.  Fighting other players is chaotic and usually you'll find some unpredictability in it.  True that you can get this in battleground type settings and level up in pve, but then I'm doing something I don't like to get to something I do and that's why I stopped playing WoW in the first place.

/rant over.   didn't mean to turn this into pvp vs pve at all, I understand both sides and have been on both.  I also know that I may have been lucky in my past experiences.  I also just wanted to throw my hat in to try to get people to play pvp with me so I have people to call on for help when the shit hits the fan slywink
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 21, 2008, 07:26:27 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 21, 2008, 07:16:56 PM

Online Gaming;

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way that this is worded is that playing online is optional. In short, if you want to play online, you have to have a broadband connection. We all know that as a MMO, you have to have an online connection to play.

I believe you can play solo at least until level 20, not sure if offline play is available after that.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2008, 08:13:49 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 21, 2008, 07:16:56 PM

Online Gaming;

I think the intent of it is that a *broadband* connection (as opposed to dial-up?) is required.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: