http://gamingtrend.com
December 26, 2014, 11:34:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan - All Your Questions Are Belong to Us!  (Read 76540 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2008, 10:44:01 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 07, 2008, 10:35:38 PM

Bloody nose, not a knock-out......
I think WoW will retire king of the ring.

But there is still hope for those longing for a new, well done MMO.

10 million subscribers. Can you even fathom how much more that is than the next game on the list (lets stick with primarily english speaking games for now). If AoC does 1 million subcribers, it will likely exceed expectations and be a big hit. And be 10% of the market that WoW has right this second. I think you mean "give WoW the sniffles" rather than "bloody their nose".
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2008, 11:31:21 PM »

I understand what you're trying to say, Arclight. 

Let's hope you're right.

If we are going to have yet another non-sci-fi MMO, I sure as hell hope it's a good one.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2008, 11:55:47 PM »

The reports about uber graphics in AoC actually have me worried. Funcom more or less went the same route when they released Anarachy Online, delivering Transform & Lighting effects that were far beyond the capabilities of even very powerful PC's at the time. It was months before they implemented options to turn them off and the game became playable for the majority of subscribers. I hope they've learned their lessons from the past and have at least made the effects scalable this time.

Just out of curiosity; why do people -including some here- think the graphics in WoW are good? Out of all the MMO's I've played that released in the last 4 years, it has to be the worst looking. In fact even the updated versions of older MMO's like DAoC, AO and EQ2 look better to me.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 11:58:44 PM by kronovan » Logged
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2008, 01:07:23 AM »

think the graphics in WoW are good?
  pixel counts dont mean anything anymore, what matters is art direction and design, and WOW had incredible art design and direction IMHO.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2008, 02:14:43 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 07, 2008, 10:44:01 PM

10 million subscribers.

No, 10 million people have tried WoW. If you tried the game via a demo CD, or have canceled your account (or were even banned), you're still in that number. Only Blizzard knows what their actual monthly population is.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2008, 04:00:05 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 08, 2008, 02:14:43 AM

10 million subscribers.

No, 10 million people have tried WoW. If you tried the game via a demo CD, or have canceled your account (or were even banned), you're still in that number. Only Blizzard knows what their actual monthly population is.

Do you really not understand my point or think the numbers aren't that overwhelming? If you don't you're incredibly naive about it. A niche game like Conan is not going to sneeze at WoWs numbers.

And apparently I am right about the numbers too.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 04:55:03 AM by Calvin » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2008, 04:38:40 AM »

10 million subscribers.

Actually, if you read the stipulations at the bottom of their press release, it does not include free trials, expired or cancelled subscriptions:

World of Warcraft's Subscriber Definition
World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2008, 10:47:07 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 08, 2008, 04:00:05 AM

10 million subscribers.

Do you really not understand my point or think the numbers aren't that overwhelming? If you don't you're incredibly naive about it. A niche game like Conan is not going to sneeze at WoWs numbers.

And apparently I am right about the numbers too.

Blizzard are like any other business. They sneeze at any subscribers leaving, don't kid yourself. If they didn't then they're not a very good business.
Everything comes to an end. Everything.
If Conan is the game "tons" of people are hoping it is, it could cause a massive hemoraging for WoW. 3 years old and getting stale, is not a great prospect...Yeah yeah, I know the x-pac is coming, but more of the same doesn't equate into millions more subscribers.

My 2 cents.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2008, 01:50:31 PM »

Well I'll be damned - Blizzard updated what they consider a subscriber under their definition. They didn't used to mention that canceled subs were not counted into their total. Lordy, that's a lot of paying members then.

And yes, I realize that Conan (or any other MMO) will never put a dent into that number (unless Blizzard SERIOUSLY screws up). Personally, I think it's a good thing - let all the kiddies play WoW. I like the group of people I play and chat with in CoX. The last thing I need is all the WoW kiddies. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2008, 02:19:24 PM »

unless AoC is a huge disappointment I will be dropping WoW and I have been playing since closed beta.  I plan on hitting up a Gamestop and pre-ordering a collectors edition; get me a wooly mammoth mount.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2008, 02:41:27 PM »

Not to further delve into the tangent we are so happily riding on, but how do you think performance/ability to run AoC will influence things?  It has always been my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) that WoW has the numbers it has not just because it is such a well-crafted game, but because many computer systems can run it without a hitch.  If the same can't be said about AoC (I'm assuming here), than even if people WANT to move away from WoW, will they really be able to?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2008, 03:23:41 PM »

Yeah I hear ya. But how long can you go on "yesterday's" graphics just because you can run it smoothly?
I think if AoC can scale fairly well with low, medium, and high settings then they will have accomplished enough to garner many giving it a try.

I also think that we're at a place now where most people are moving up in system spec's and eventually will "want" to try the more graphically demanding games.

WoW has only so long left. Im not predicting WoW's demise any time soon, but it is only a matter of time.

Once upon a time WoW's graphic's would have been demanding for most systems...All well made games have their day in the Sun, some longer than others.

I personally feel we're ripe in the MMO community for the next "big one". Will it be AoC or Warhammer? Dunno, but sooner or later its gonna happen.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2008, 03:40:28 PM »

Quote from: drifter on March 08, 2008, 02:19:24 PM

unless AoC is a huge disappointment I will be dropping WoW and I have been playing since closed beta.  I plan on hitting up a Gamestop and pre-ordering a collectors edition; get me a wooly mammoth mount.

whoah, they're giving away wool mammoth mounts?  I may have to rethink the collectors edition.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2008, 05:35:01 PM »

Quote from: drifter on March 08, 2008, 02:19:24 PM

Hmm, I didn't realize that GameStop had the exclusive woolly mammoth mount in addition to the other stuff.  I did see that Amazon and Wal-mart have the preorder collector's edition for $11 less, so that's a hard choice.  I didn't even pay $90 for the WoW collector's edition and this has much bigger unknowns as far as I'm concerned.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2008, 05:45:25 AM »

Something called The MMO Gamer has another take from GDC, you might find it of interest though the impressions are strictly from watching a brief demo of already seen footage (no hands-on):

GDC Interview: Age of Conan Game Director Gaute Godager
http://www.mmo-gamer.com/?p=350
From the actual brief interview:
*Asked about the delays.
Gaute Godager: First of all, I understand that people get concerned, because being on the outside, not really knowing whatís going on, Iíd just see one delay after anotheróor two delays, basically. You wonder whatís going on.

Itís basically us loving the game. Itís just us giving it enough time to mature, fix all the bugs. Itís much more important for an MMO to have a rock-solid launch than it is for us to keep a specific date. Though, I must say the 20th of May is definitely going to be the date when this game is coming out.

There is a big difference, though, on the internet between the people playing the game, our beta testers, and the people not playing our game. The beta testers whole-heartedly support us and say this is the right move for the game [That's great, although I've known plenty of folks who just play MMO betas and never sign up once they actually have to pay for it. I'm sure going back to Meredian 59, no beta tester in the history of MMOs ever thought the game was "ready to launch." Am I right? Who would ever want their "free" beta MMO to end?  stirthepot - blackjack]. And there wasnít really one spot that had any big issues or big problems, it was more a general lifting the game in many areas and removing bugs, and polishing it, basically.
=============
*About PVP and PVE, how much time players will spend on each..
Gaute Godager: Iím not going to speculate on that, because we are going to open PvP servers and PvE servers, and itís really up to the player. We have a deep system that allows players to get PvP progression through PvP levels.

We have several types of PvP minigames, like capture the skull, a four-man capture the flag. We have annihilation, free-for-all PvP areas, and of course the massive siege PvP system.

So, itís really up to the playerówhat I can say is that people who do enjoy PvP will have a lot of different varieties of PvP to dabble in, or taste, or engulf themselves with inside Age of Conan.

*What do players expect from Conan?  nod
Everyone instantly realizes what it is, and what they want to see. They want to see blood and gore and beheadings and buxom women [I thought Conan was a sensitive guy!  icon_lol ], and something new and fresh and more realistic.
He has some interesting thoughts on the M-rating concerns too, but I think I've already gone cut 'n' paste overboard here. icon_biggrin

I think they should use his sentence there in the advertisements. In big colorful letters...
Age of Conan!
Blood and gore and beheadings and buxom women!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 05:52:39 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2008, 07:26:58 PM »

Oh if you want to catch up on the videos, Gametrailers has a lengthy page:
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/1905.html

The Character demonstration gives an idea of how things start:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31241.html
Apparently, right away, you pull a sword out of your...  saywhat icon_lol

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2008, 08:13:22 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 09, 2008, 07:26:58 PM

Apparently, right away, you pull a sword out of your...  saywhat icon_lol

Actually, I think it's a broken oar from your boat that crashed.  At least that's what I read from some preview or something. 

I was surprised to read in that interview that they will have PvE servers.  This gives me even more hope, as I had assumed that they basically only had PvE content for the first part of the game and then left you to do PvP after that.  It's nice to know there is enough quest content for them to put up PvE servers at all. 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2008, 10:17:07 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 09, 2008, 08:13:22 PM

I was surprised to read in that interview that they will have PvE servers.  This gives me even more hope, as I had assumed that they basically only had PvE content for the first part of the game and then left you to do PvP after that.  It's nice to know there is enough quest content for them to put up PvE servers at all. 

Now that's a good thing, as I'm never interested in PvP content period in any MMOs.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2008, 08:10:10 PM »

From what I've read, it sounds to me like they haven't started testing and balancing PvP until very recently.  This worries me.  I hope it doesn't feel like tacked on PvP in a primarily PvE game (like EQ/WOW).  Compare that to a game like WAR where apparently they've been designing classes with PvP in mind from the beginning (I think you can start RvR at level 10?).

I'm also a little worried thas this might become another AO launch type fiasco (seems like they are going for too much).  If it survives a launch like that, it might eventually turn out to be pretty good.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2008, 09:03:14 PM »

Instanced cities?! Pre-defined city layout? Still 15 levels of offline leveling? (even if it's "optional, but the quest line is broken if you go online pre-lvl 15")

For some reason I thought they are going to implement city building similar to Shadowbane but apparently it's not the case. I also heard somewhere that they are going overboard with instances. This worries me. Guild Wars was/is a fine game, but I hated all the instancing there.

AoC is a strange game - one day I hear something very exciting about it, another - something very disappointing.

It was a pretty disappointing inteview smile
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 09:04:57 PM by StriderGG » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2008, 12:32:32 AM »

Quote from: StriderGG on March 10, 2008, 09:03:14 PM

Instanced cities?! Pre-defined city layout? Still 15 levels of offline leveling? (even if it's "optional, but the quest line is broken if you go online pre-lvl 15")

For some reason I thought they are going to implement city building similar to Shadowbane but apparently it's not the case.

yeah, one of the videos which shows city building states that there can only be so many cities per server.  it sucks that they changed that fact so quickly.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2008, 12:27:41 PM »

CVG (UK site) has a sort of vaguely updated preview:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=184177
Quest depth is what I remain most hopeful about, though every MMO that brags about their number of quests seems to get accusations of "not enough content" shortly after launch anyway (which is me pointing at Tabula Rasa at the moment  smirk
Along with two dedicated full-time writers, there's a team of eight people solely writing quests, and another responsible for managing the lore. There'll be 800 quests ready at launch, and surprisingly few of them appear to be timesink "kill 30 rabbits" nonsense.

In fact, some genuinely inspired ideas are being touted, including solving murder mysteries, and stealth quests requiring you to sneak over rooftops and eavesdrop on NPC conversations. The large team is there to ensure quests have meaning in the game, linking them to the story, giving you the motivation to complete tasks.

I've had trouble grasping the combat system (which has been simplified a bit in the early part of the game, supposedly, and then ramps up in intricacy as you progress), but their throw-away description makes it a bit easier to understand:
Every enemy in the Robert E Howard-inspired game has three points where they can be attacked: left, right and above.

These are shown by semi-circles floating about them when targeted. If you hit them on the left, they'll defend that side, maybe leaving the right exposed. Exploit this, and take advantage of your ever-increasing set of skills and the combo system, and you'll be employing a degree of tactics not seen before in MMO battling.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 12:30:11 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2008, 01:54:35 PM »

Here is a site that list what the system specs will be:
http://www.massively.com/2008/03/07/age-of-conan-faq-reveals-system-requirements/

Required
Processor: 3GHz Pentium IV
RAM: 1GB RAM
Video Card: Shader Model 2.0 and 128MB RAM: NVIDIA GeForce 5800 or ATI 9800

Recommended
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz (E6600) or better
Vdeo Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7950GX2 or better
RAM: 2GB or more

Enhanced for: DirectX 10, 64-bit processors, multi-core
Supports Parental Controls on Windows Vista
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2008, 02:01:54 PM »

Thats definitely going to steal all those mass market gamers away from Blizzard. Yeah, those are entry level specs!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2008, 02:43:07 PM »

they're not as bad as I thought they'd be.  I was almost expecting a dual core to be required.  Screw the masses though, I'm sure I'll get a month or two of playtime out of it when it launches and end up never going back.

Because I can,
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2008, 03:23:55 PM »

These are shown by semi-circles floating about them when targeted. If you hit them on the left, they'll defend that side, maybe leaving the right exposed. Exploit this, and take advantage of your ever-increasing set of skills and the combo system, and you'll be employing a degree of tactics not seen before in MMO battling. [/size]

I don't get this.  So instead of auto-attack you press 3 buttons.  It's been done before in other games e.g. Vanguard.  It doesn't actually add to tactics since it's pretty obvious which button you hit based on the obvious indicators.  Am I missing something here?
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2008, 04:22:25 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 11, 2008, 02:01:54 PM

Thats definitely going to steal all those mass market gamers away from Blizzard. Yeah, those are entry level specs!

What are entry level spec's?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2008, 04:47:25 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 11, 2008, 04:22:25 PM

A 400$ POS PC your mom would buy from Best Buy, clueless as to what it could do-there are millions of those PCs playing WoW. It helps.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2008, 06:25:22 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on March 10, 2008, 09:03:14 PM

For some reason I thought they are going to implement city building similar to Shadowbane but apparently it's not the case. I also heard somewhere that they are going overboard with instances. This worries me. Guild Wars was/is a fine game, but I hated all the instancing there.

AoC is a strange game - one day I hear something very exciting about it, another - something very disappointing.

It was a pretty disappointing inteview smile

I wouldn't worry too much about having to do 15 levels if leveling ends up being as quick as it was in Anarchy Online. AO had about 200 levels / class on average and you could often do multiple levels in a few hours even if you weren't being PL'd. I'd also heard that the game was going to support widespread city building, but it sounds like they've backed away from that. If they still allow realms to construct their own cities/strongholds that will be good enough for me.  slywink thumbsup

If there's one company that I'd trust to get instancing right it's Funcom. Anarchy Online was the 1st game to introduce instancing and they did it very well. I really liked the team instances where you could keep a mission key and return with a different team later on. Sure funcom had a few rough edges with it initially, but by the time the Shadowlands expansion was released, instancing was nothing short of outstanding.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2008, 06:57:54 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about having to do 15 levels if leveling ends up being as quick as it was in Anarchy Online. AO had about 200 levels / class on average and you could often do multiple levels in a few hours even if you weren't being PL'd.

IIRC, AoC is going to have 80 levels, so 15 is pretty significant. I just don't see any value in adding an offline content to an MMO game. Well, except for softening the launch date load and not having to deal with overcrowded newbie zones. But then again, if the offline content is optional, they still have to plan for the load and overcrowdness. So what's the point?

Who doesn't like to twink their alts? I doubt you can do that if the alt is in offline mode.

Also, some people like to meet up with their newb friends and learn the game together. And I'd hate to feel that I am missing out on something if I go online vs. offline from lvl 1.

Would be cool (or even super cool smile) if the offline "module" was available a week or so before the official release date. Kind of a combined demo/trial/tutorial package. But that's just a wishful thinking.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2008, 08:38:50 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 11, 2008, 04:47:25 PM

A 400$ POS PC your mom would buy from Best Buy, clueless as to what it could do-there are millions of those PCs playing WoW. It helps.

Yeah, our current min-spec machine is a 1.3Ghz Duron with a Geforce 5200 and 512 MB of RAM.  It looks much worse and isn't so smooth, but it makes sense to try to target that market.  Maybe not so much for Conan with a Mature rating, but it's limiting nonetheless.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2008, 09:08:12 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on March 11, 2008, 06:57:54 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about having to do 15 levels if leveling ends up being as quick as it was in Anarchy Online. AO had about 200 levels / class on average and you could often do multiple levels in a few hours even if you weren't being PL'd.

IIRC, AoC is going to have 80 levels, so 15 is pretty significant. I just don't see any value in adding an offline content to an MMO game. Well, except for softening the launch date load and not having to deal with overcrowded newbie zones. But then again, if the offline content is optional, they still have to plan for the load and overcrowdness. So what's the point?

Who doesn't like to twink their alts? I doubt you can do that if the alt is in offline mode.

Also, some people like to meet up with their newb friends and learn the game together. And I'd hate to feel that I am missing out on something if I go online vs. offline from lvl 1.

Would be cool (or even super cool smile) if the offline "module" was available a week or so before the official release date. Kind of a combined demo/trial/tutorial package. But that's just a wishful thinking.

All good points Strider. 80 is a lot less levels than I thought, so for sure having to play almost a 1/5th of the game offline is quite a bit. On the other hand, I'm personally pleased to hear there's only 80 levels as that may help avoid the fast-elevator-up feeling you got in the early going with AO.

I think the offline aspect of the game is what's going to make or break it's adoption. If Funcom can deliver an excellent SP experience in those 1st 15 levels it will be a plus, but if they don't those levels will just seem annoying to many and feel like they're getting in the way of their MMO enjoyment. I personally think I'll enjoy them and look forward to them, but only because I have confidence in Funcom's ability to deliver a good adventure.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2008, 11:14:14 PM »

I think 800 quests should keep even the most frantic power gamer entertained for at least.... oh... a week?  icon_lol

I really think one of the hardest things to do in an MMO is to make people care even a smidgen about the storyline as opposed to just frantically clicking on NPCs and quests and racing through everything as if every quest were no more interesting than going to the bathroom (don't visualize that!).  icon_neutral

So I really do have my fingers crossed the quests are as interesting and great in number as promised. I had some fun in Dungeon Runners, and while I know it's not trying to be a full fledge MMO per se, it is drowning in "kill 25 rats," "kill 45 schmucks" and kill "60 toads," etc. A few Korean MMOs I've tried over the years (like R.O.S.E. Online) are glutted with the same thing.

I don't need Shakespeare, I don't need multi-layered plotting but I do need something more interesting than "kill 75 so and so's."  Roll Eyes "Something more interesting" is a great carrot to me. And I love when characters (NPCs or what have you) change. I love in movies when you think you know a character, but he/she gradually develops into something else (good or bad). I love when gentle characters are pushed to violence, or violent characters show a tender side. Heroes that have to do something villainous, villains who do something heroic.

Blah blah blah. Sorry. I just hope AoC has even a smidgen of that kind of stuff. It wouldn't make it Better Than WoW or ensure 5 million subscribers, but I really think it would freshen up the MMO environment.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2008, 12:28:19 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 11, 2008, 11:14:14 PM

I think 800 quests should keep even the most frantic power gamer entertained for at least.... oh... a week?  icon_lol

I really think one of the hardest things to do in an MMO is to make people care even a smidgen about the storyline as opposed to just frantically clicking on NPCs and quests and racing through everything as if every quest were no more interesting than going to the bathroom (don't visualize that!).  icon_neutral

Hallelujah to that, and might I dare say it may actually get some players to role play a bit more. I've been in a number of MMORPG's where there's actually a decent story buried in amongst the quests, but nobody seems to bother to even explore or pay attention to it. Even some of my guildmates on RP servers were often ignorant of the games background, all of which could be exposed through chained quests.

Something about AO that I always liked was that crafters couldn't make the most powerful elite items without some knowledge garnered from hard to discover quests. I personally never got to that level in the game, but always thought it was a cool aspect.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2008, 02:11:14 AM »

Sooner or later thats gonna have to change...Just a question of which big game wants to take the lead.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2008, 03:25:58 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 12, 2008, 02:11:14 AM

Sooner or later thats gonna have to change...Just a question of which big game wants to take the lead.

I honestly think (and I truly mean this without trying to be insulting at all), that you are not understanding where the PC market is going. Really. I know there are 20 million DX10 cards on the market or some absurd number. I know that. But the PC market for development is not following the upward trend that we like, and that we are used to-huge sellers make most of their money on accessible systems-NOT by pushing the limits. I think its far more likely we will see a shift towards less cutting edge technology in pc gaming before we see what you are suggesting.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2008, 10:41:13 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 12, 2008, 03:25:58 AM

Quote from: Arclight on March 12, 2008, 02:11:14 AM

I honestly think (and I truly mean this without trying to be insulting at all), that you are not understanding where the PC market is going. Really. I know there are 20 million DX10 cards on the market or some absurd number. I know that. But the PC market for development is not following the upward trend that we like, and that we are used to-huge sellers make most of their money on accessible systems-NOT by pushing the limits. I think its far more likely we will see a shift towards less cutting edge technology in pc gaming before we see what you are suggesting.

Oh yeah? yeah?..........................................ok.

I just play da games man...........I ain't no edjumacated persun...no sir-ree...I justs opens my mouths and makes noises like evry wun else.

Opinions are like..................well you know the rest... nod

StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2008, 03:16:15 PM »

When WoW was released, you couldn't have played it on max settings using your mom's $400 PC she bought from Best Buy. The millions of mass-market PCs you are referring to did not join WoW on release date.

Besides, the game clearely is not positioned to steal all 10 million subscribers from Blizzard. When you develop a product you have to know your audience, its needs and expectations. If 10% of WoW subscribers switch to AoC because of better graphics (everything else being equal), it will be a huge success for Funcom.

Saying that from now on all games will (or should) be developed for  $400 PC's capabilities is ridiculous. Operating systems and office applications are constantly increasing their hardware requirements and there will always be commercially successsful games that do the same. And thank God for that, because otherwise you would still be playing with sprites in 2D.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2008, 03:19:40 PM »

Calvin, I hate to tell you this but those 'required' spec listed above are equal to if not surpassed by a $500 pc. 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103096

You can't even hardly buy a single core anymore.

For $800(twice the cost of next gen console) heres one that easily surpasses the recommended settings...
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_III/

If the game is good enough people will upgrade to play it.  We are not talking Crysis specs here.
The rapid pace of graphical improvement will prolly slow down a bit over the next few years as lackluster sales of cutting edge games continues.  It's happened before.  This does not mean that all games in the future will be playable on a calculator.

morlac00 on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2008, 03:37:16 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on March 12, 2008, 03:16:15 PM

Saying that from now on all games will (or should) be developed for  $400 PC's capabilities is ridiculous. Operating systems and office applications are constantly increasing their hardware requirements and there will always be commercially successsful games that do the same. And thank God for that, because otherwise you would still be playing with sprites in 2D.

I didn't actually say any of that, so yeah, cookies and milk for you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: