http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 04:23:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Conan - All Your Questions Are Belong to Us!  (Read 74572 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2007, 05:17:08 PM »

per the front page... March 25th 2008.

excuse me, I need to go find someplace quiet so I can curse like a sailor.

aww fuck it, my co-workers have heard worse.

icon_evil
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 10:04:08 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 06:53:36 PM »

from what I've been hearing about the control interface it would seem that the X360 version is the one to get.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 07:35:09 AM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on August 10, 2007, 06:53:36 PM

from what I've been hearing about the control interface it would seem that the X360 version is the one to get.

hopefully they'll let you use the 360 controller on the PC.  From what I've seen graphics wise this is going to be a PC purchase for me.

Because I can,
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 11:57:47 AM »

The only good part to this is that I may have a DX10 card by then capable of running it by then.  I think the disaster of a launch (Vanguard) scared a lot of people though.  That more than anything showed you should listen to your beta people and not release a MMO than needs massive help and patches days (and months) after release.  WoW is the new standard and like it or not it was a nice, polished and mostly stable game at release.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 01:25:57 PM »

Quote from: ericb on August 11, 2007, 11:57:47 AM

I think the disaster of a launch (Vanguard) scared a lot of people though.  That more than anything showed you should listen to your beta people and not release a MMO than needs massive help and patches days (and months) after release.  WoW is the new standard and like it or not it was a nice, polished and mostly stable game at release.

That I think had a LOT to do with it. Very good set of points! Of course, Vanguard 'ran out of money' and had to launch, but your point still stands.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 02:30:48 PM »

True, Vanguard proved that MMORPG's are not a license to print money.  Oh well, maybe I can fill the time with Mythos or Tabula Rasa.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 05:23:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 11, 2007, 02:30:48 PM

Oh well, maybe I can fill the time with Mythos or Tabula Rasa.

No, no, Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa. You can't forget the full title of the game.  icon_lol
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 05:25:02 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 03:29:18 PM »

RPG Vault has an interview/update on Age of Conan:
http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/832/832097p1.html
Gaute Godager: First of all, I would like to state that we already had the foundation for an awesome MMO when we announced the latest delay. Furthermore, to look at the bigger picture of the genre today, it is not "simply" a matter of delay, but of what level of quality you need to succeed in today's market. To me, it is also very clear that those conditions have changed quite radically since we started development in 2003.
The more I see games (of any genre, not just MMOs) ship too early with missing (but promised) features, bugs pointed out in beta tests but never fixed, etc., the more I don't really get bent out of shape about announced delays. Actually these days when I hear something is shipping on a fixed date and never wavers from it, I just hold my breath and wait for the other shoe to drop.  paranoid

The cynic in me does wonder if things like this and Warhammer Online (pushed back to next summer I think I read) simply want to wait and see if WoW churn rates ever reach the point that there's room in the market for something else to approach its subscriber numbers.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 09:10:47 AM »

* TheAtomicKid has great hopes for Warhammer Online.

Mythic has the advantage of being able to pull from literally reams of material that's already made for the world it's set in... all they have to do is focus on the engine to display it on, and converting the materials to graphics/etc that the game will use. And they've got tons of experience from developing Dark Age of Camelot to draw from.
* TheAtomicKid also has great hopes for Age of Conan for the same reasons.

There's TONS of Conan stuff out there to pull from. And Funcom definitely likes to 'stick with it' in terms of their product... look at Anarchy Online's history as an example. It's not a perfect game, sure, but the first year it released, it was awarded the most improved game of the year. Tons and tons of updates since then.

About the only thing I'd say was 'wrong' with it at this point, is the graphics are getting pretty dated, and I'm not fond of 'feel' of the controls... admittedly, WoW has spoiled me in that regard. The game itself is pretty solid. Many character class/'race' combinations to choose from. Many and varied types of equipment. Crafting system, etc. You name it, and Anarchy Online probably has it. Hopefully they'll invest the same, or more, effort into Conan.

Somewhere, someday, someone will develop the perfect MMO. It'll have the clustering system that Eve Online uses. The face/body modeling system of Project Entropia (I've never seen one with more detail than this) The streamability of Guild Wars. The item system of Anarchy Online, World of Warcraft, Diablo and DiabloII, combined. It'll have a solid, open ended experience system, multiple varied crafting systems, and many types of gameplay to choose from. Sci-fi, Fantasy, FPS, RP, etc. It'll probably even have a 'real life' option somewhere tucked away, where you can pretend to be yourself biggrin

And it'll all be perfect at release biggrin

Mind you, I'll be dead by then, but I'll have to remember to leave a stipulation in my will for my attorneys to sign me up for an account smile

Atomic
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 05:05:46 AM »

Id love a great sci fi MMO. Unfortunately for me I was around when UO was released. There is never going to be anything as fun and cool as original UO was.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 11:15:56 AM »

With any luck, Mythic will break Imperator Online back out of the refridgerator, and give us some loving. Probably not until after Warhammer get's released though. The ideas they had going into development made me itchy to get my hands on it. 'small, highly detailed, highly interactible environments', was one phrase I remember being tossed out... I have the feeling they were aiming for singleplayer levels of interactivity, but combined into a pve focused mmorpg. Which frankly, would be seriously nice.

www.imperatoronline.com

Atomic

*keeps his fingers crossed*
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 05:55:06 PM »

Funcom has announced March 25 as the official release date:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=179735&site=cvg

TenTonHammer had some "breaking news" about Funcom whittling the number of classes from 14 down to 12, and distributing the two deleted classes' skills amongst the remaining ones:
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/21015
The Scion of Set and the Lich are no longer going to be included in the class list, but their abilities are going to be integrated throughout the existing classes already in the game.

They launched a new Web site for the game too apparently, uh oh - someone went amuck with Flash again...  biggrin
http://www.ageofconan.com/

I was excited about this a while back, then it dropped off my radar screen entirely. They made some fairly major gameplay adjustments, and latest previews seem to think they've improved things markedly. I think what I've read is they slowly introduce the differences in how it handles combat (rather than dumping it all on you at the start). It's still hard to tell from videos whether it's different "enough" from the MMO next door. icon_neutral I mean, it still just looks like you're whacking number keys on a keyboard -- if the quests esp. the storyline quests, are as interesting as they say, I'll still be interested.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 08:37:15 PM »

buddy of mine got into the beta and he is really liking it.  He said the story line pulls you in to the game and makes you feel like you are really accomplishing something.

I just checked on the buy now and the collectors edition is $89.99 - damn thats a lot.  but you get a cape that gets you free in game drinks at the bars.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 01:45:01 AM »

Quote from: drifter on January 19, 2008, 08:37:15 PM

I just checked on the buy now and the collectors edition is $89.99 - damn thats a lot.  but you get a cape that gets you free in game drinks at the bars.

oh yay, a cape and free drinks for 40 more bucks  Tongue

OK, maybe not just a cape but:

# Ring of Acheronia (Exclusive In-Game Item) - The ring offers special XP and stamina enhancements for players
# Hand-Finished Collectors Edition Box
# Hyborian World Faux Leather Map
# Unique Bonus DVD
# Official Age of Conan Soundtrack
# Age of Conan Art Book
# The Drinking Cape (Bonus In-game Item) - the Drinking Cape gives you access to free drinks in all the taverns of Hyboria
# Five Free Guest Passes

I'm still not sure that's worth the extra 40 bucks.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 03:31:36 AM »

guess what?

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 04:17:36 AM »

SHOCKER!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 04:19:20 AM »

I don't have a problem with delays as long as the beta testing continues (it is, and obviously they're learning a lot from the process). This isn't some Gods & Heroes situation where the delays just kept reflecting the game was in bad shape (I was in that beta, and I thought it was a mess) and nowhere near release-ready.

With all the hullabaloo over the combat system, I'm actually more interested in how the quests and storyline shape up. I really do enjoy having lots of variety of things to do (which is what kept me in LOTORO even when the combat system didn't promise to be my cup of tea). And I never even read Tolkien, I just liked the variety and the storylines there. smile

Anyway, sorry I keep pimping TenTonHammer, but they did a neat interview with one of the game's quest designers:
http://www.hellgatelondon.com/patches/100
Some things that sound fun to me...
Quote from: Joel Bylos, quest designer
Joel: During one part of the game you actually get a quest to go to the Speaker's Corner in Old Tarantia, which is actually mentioned in The Hour of the Dragon,  and a priest of Set is actually preaching to a bunch of people. He talks about how great Set is and how Mitra and Conan are terrible for the world. As a player, you basically can get up and debate this guy. There's actually a priest of Mitra in the crowd that asks you to get up and debate this guy. This is one of the places in our game where the quests are unique, because you can roleplay these quests however you'd like.

If you're a Priest of Mitra, you're obviously going to defend Mitra and Conan, and if you're neutral, you can just choose the middle ground between the two. If you're a worshipper of Set, you're more than welcome to join the guy and start saying bad things about Mitra. Based on the three options, you get a different reward.
I like that.  Cool One of my belated disappointments in TR (despite all my rave-iness) is that choosing different responses in the "morality" missions doesn't (I mistakenly thought it did) make your quest rewards or really anything differ.

Joel: It's not in the beta yet, but in the Black Dragon Barracks there are three people that have been sentenced to death. Essentially the barracks commander is very busy and he basically sentenced those three individuals to death because they were captured sneaking into the safe area at night. You argue with him a bit about whether he truly considers that justice, and he basically tells you to go talk to the prisoners and determine whether they should be put to death or not....

Once you've decided how many of the characters you're going to kill, your quest reward will be different based on how many you've executed.
Thinking before you kill. Who expected that of Conan?  ;D

TTH: Will there be different dialogue options for your class, race, and gender?

Joel: Definitely! For example, there are certainly some quests where being a female will allow you to open up different avenues of completing a quest that may not be available to male characters in the game. At least one that I know of features the female character getting rid of a male NPC by soliciting him.
Hmmm, part of the M-rating I reckon.  biggrin

Anyway, enough cut and pasting. I just found all the talk of branching quests and different consequences to sound really promising. Of course the beta testers can't tell me if that's all coming off well or not, but at least on paper (on pixel?) it sounds fun.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 02:52:57 AM »

I'm not exactly sure what this video is showing, as I have a hard time understanding the devs...

But it sure as hell looks cool.

Video Link

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 05:10:52 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 28, 2008, 02:52:57 AM

I'm not exactly sure what this video is showing, as I have a hard time understanding the devs...

But it sure as hell looks cool.

Video Link

it's a donkey show dude.

naw, just kidding.  It's a guild building their own city.  Apparently there is only room for 8 or so player built cities on each server so it looks like siege warfare is going to be playing a large role.  I am so in on day one for this game.

Because I can,
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 05:42:14 AM »

I kinda want in on the beta, but I have a new MMO rule:

I will not buy for the first 3-6 months, until patching is going along smoothly.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 03:20:44 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on February 28, 2008, 05:42:14 AM

I will not buy for the first 3-6 months, until patching is going along smoothly.

but by then all the lamentations of the women will have been reduced to mere whimpering!

plus you know you'll give into the forum effect.  you have no true will of your own  Tongue

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 03:11:59 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on February 28, 2008, 05:42:14 AM

It may not matter, Zarkon.  At the rate this game keeps being delayed, you'll be dead when it's finally released.  What is it now, a late May 2008 date? 

I can see the headlines coming in early May of 2010 sounding something like this:

"Although we have received extremely positive feedback from our community, EA-FunCom has decided to add another 10 weeks in development time to even further polish Age of Conan to ensure a truly monumental game launch.  We are taking character customization to all new levels and the player will get to experience in-game relationships never before seen in an MMO.  We have been on over 70 magazine covers over the past 10 years and were voted the Most Anticipated MMO in 2007, 2008, and 2009.  We look forward to seeing you all in Hyboria on August 1st, 2010!  (assuming System of Starcraft doesn't kick our ass into the netherworld because we took so f'n long to release our game.)

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 06:21:21 PM »

Probably every MMORPG ever released was launched prematurely. Some disastrously, some with just a few hiccups (remember the hour long waiting cues when WoW launched? I do, cause that's when I was trying to play it  Roll Eyes).

I think every extra month they get to polish this and hopefully add more content and things to do (and hopefully make some accurate server capacity estimates) is good for the game. The bad things? If it takes too long, they might run into the next WoW expansion's release; they might stumble into a competitive release date situation with Warhammer Online; the "buzz meter" for Age of Conan may have already peaked and players disappointed with the current MMOs might no longer keep saying "I can't wait for Age of Conan to release so I can cancel this piece of ****"  icon_smile

But at some point, the funding spigot for Age of Conan's going to run dry and Funcom (who can't be earning much income from the aging Anarchy Online at this point) will have to boot their baby out the front door and pray for the best.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 06:33:11 PM »

Do you plan on playing it, Blackjack?

OK, scratch that question.  You seem to be an MMO authority of sorts, so I'm going to assume you will.  The real question is, what have you heard about it?  Is it going to rock, or be another pile of cowdung? 

Spill the beans.

LD

Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 01:30:26 AM »

I will be there day one.

With a shiny ring on my finger, a woolly mammoth waiting outside the bar, and me inside drinking my face off free of charge due to my magical cape.

Yeah! Delay it all you want, it will rock harder because of it.

Gonna eat your face
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2008, 02:12:34 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 29, 2008, 06:33:11 PM

OK, scratch that question.  You seem to be an MMO authority of sorts, so I'm going to assume you will.  The real question is, what have you heard about it?  Is it going to rock, or be another pile of cowdung? 

Spill the beans.

Well I'm not Blackjack, but I'll respond anyways. After having previously played Anarchy Online -same Funcom development team- for 2 years all I can say is that I'd be surprised if this isn't very good, if not excellent. AO had the deepest and most developed character building and crafting in any SciFi MMO I've ever played and the overall attention to detail was very impressive.
I've heard that the same attention to detail is being applied to Conan, so we can probably expect some impressive visuals and sounds. I've also read that Realm vs Realm gameplay in it will be superior to what's currently available in any other MMO, even allowing realms to construct their own strongholds. I haven't read much about the character customization system. I'm sure it won't have the 100+ skills / ability tweaks that AO had, but it'll no doubt be deep. The only aspect that sounds iffy is the solo offline play that you supposedly play through before venturing online. I not even sure if it's even still in the game as I haven't read any previews that mentioned it in some time. Either way it's not like Funcom hasn't proven they can do single play very well; i.e. the Longest Journey series.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008, 02:18:09 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 29, 2008, 06:33:11 PM

Spill the beans.
I am *not* an MMO authority. I didn't even like WoW or Everquest or Dark Age of Camelot (all of which I bought, played a month, and never played again). I am so a total MMO loser!  icon_lol

Generally, aside from LOTORO, I'm the kind of guy who plays all the "outside the norm" MMOs, including Planetside, Auto Assault (rest in peace  :crybaby), Tabula Rasa and City of Heroes/Villains.

I can tell you I'm *not* in the AoC beta, so I don't have any inside information or insights (I guess I couldn't tell you even if I was, but trust me -- I did apply for beta but never got in  crybaby).

From everything I've read and sifted through:
-I really am fascinating by some of the quests I've read about for this in terms of ambition. They really are putting some imagination into them, and they're using the Conan lore to promising effect. The question's always though, "Is there ENOUGH of it?" I'm sure most of us don't need another mmorpg that gets lazy and has us killing 25 boars or 40 bats. If nothing else in the game is impressive, but the quests are imaginative and interesting, they'll have won me over anyway. smile

-I'm still not convinced the ballyhooed combat system is going to work out. stirthepot I'm still cynical enough to think they are either going to water it down so as not to alienate mmmorpg players set in their ways; or they're going to lather up combat with so many explanatory icons and pictograms, you won't hardly be able to see what you're whacking.

-Just to talk out both sides of my mouth though, I think it's cool they're at least *trying* something different combat-wise.  icon_cool If it fails, then it fails, but it's brave to try something other than the zillion mmorpgs doing the same thing in combat (generally either constant skill key mashing, or a Diablo-style clicking everything in sight).

-I'm kind of curious if the M-rating for the game will have any impact on its popularity. I'm still not convinced the M-rating will be for maturity as much as immaturity ("BREASTS!!!! AHAHAHA!!!!"), and I'm wondering just how much players are going to enjoy having blood spray (I assume it can be turned off) splat on your virtual hud as you decapitate evildoers left and right. I'm all for it in certain kinds of games, but do I really want to grind through endless decapitations and de-limbing and blood spray? I'm just not sure.  icon_neutral

-I am convinced that every extra month they can get to work on the game before launch is great. Every bit of additional content, quests, features, PVP polish, sieging, every bit of extra time they can get to polish up those things and have them in at least decent shape at launch is good for the game. Every chance they can have to put enough content and content variety in that you don't "burn through" the content at X level and have "nothing to do," or that you can play alternate characters and have at least a little bit of a fresh experience each time - that's all gotta be good.  icon_cool

If I had a dime for every time someone in an MMO I was playing in the last year said, "I can't wait for Age of Conan," I'd be rich. The game has a heckuva lot of high expectations to live up to. So whomever's pouring money into Funcom's coffers -- keep doing it.  thumbsup

I don't know if people saw the news item the other day about one of Activision's top executives basically saying even if you spent "half a billion dollars" (!) developing a new MMORPG, you still had no chance of "dethroning" WoW (thus Activision's decided "if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em"). Judging by how long it's been in development, how good it looks, and how many delays (and presumably continued funding to continue development) it has had, AoC's probably the most expensive mmorpg in development right now. It'll be interesting to see if it pays off or not. smile

P.S. Yes, in May, IF I have bought a new PC by then (I keep talking myself out of it), by golly I'll buy this and play this. smile
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 02:21:56 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 01:03:43 PM »

A buddy of mine is in the beta (the bastard) and sent me this little bit when asked about the game.

The game looks incredible, if you have a directX 10 compatible card it looks better than any online game I've ever seen.
The sound effects are perfect, from the surface you run on to the wild life and environmental effects you hear in the background
The environments are great if you're a Cimmerian you live in the mountains fighting against the Vanir raiders and yetis.
Aqualonians live in large coastal cities reminiscent of Rome and fight werewolves, Nemidians and demons on their borders.
Stygians live in the desert amid the pyramids, fighting undead and other foul creatures.
The armor and weapons are different for each area, and if you take a ship to a strange land you can acquire and equip the native armor.
The classes are fun, quests are plentiful and set you on a journey to recover your identity with voice acting and all.
Character creation is very good as you can achieve true individuality, from faces to a fat ass.
Combat is very fun and has plenty of room to develop your own style of attacking, by combining your chosen weapon, abilities and attack sequences.
With sieges, mounted combat, guild cities and arenas like CTF and last man standing, I can't see getting bored anytime soon, if you do you can run the plentiful dungeons.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 03:42:20 PM »

I want this game now.  I'd sell Lockdowns soul for a spot in the beta.

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 04:05:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 04, 2008, 03:42:20 PM

I want this game now.  I'd sell Lockdowns soul for a spot in the beta.

Lockdown is from Philly isn't he... people in Philly don't have souls do they?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 02:41:58 AM »

Thar's a new "Epic Moments Trailer" at gametrailers:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31581.html

HD version over here:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31580.html

No doubt the game's going to be gorgeous. Whether it's any fun, and whether you can play it on a less than $3,000 gaming PC at an appreciable framerate? Who knows.  icon_confused I venture this won't be the kind of game most parents will play with their kids. Well maybe some...

"Now Bobby, just remember not to take an axe to school and do this."
"OK pop."
"Because in real life it's a whole lot messier and it makes so much more work for the janitor!"
"Oh all right." *sigh*

Lots of decapitations and fatality moves. Keep this game away from Jack Thompson.  drool icon_lol

I much prefer this kind of video (and the last couple), which let the game speak for itself, rather than some of the EA Mythic Warhammer videos where Abbott and Costello the Devs attempt to be funny without hardly letting you see any footage of the game in action.

I attended a business conference in Philly last May. On my way back to the hotel from the Liberty Bell area, there was this presumably insane guy outside the subway station with a huge python (I think, it was a huge snake that belonged in Age of Conan saywhat) waving its head and tail at us pedestrians as we walked by, shirking in horror. That's now my permanent Philly Trademark Vision.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 02:50:14 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2008, 03:02:23 AM »

Eurogamer, which I swear is now reviewing some games so early that they're reviewing them when they're only concept art  Roll Eyes, posted an updated preview the other day (mark my words, they'll review Age of Conan a month before it goes live):

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=94028
They seem to think the extra months of work, and the delays, have really improved the shape of the game tremendously.
The Age of Conan we saw on those presentation PCs was looking ripped and oiled: the game visuals and interface have been buffed and what was already quite beautiful now seemed polished and presentable against the other MMOs on the market. The visuals for what we saw in San Francisco were incredibly tight - superb animation, full day-night cycle lighting, incredible view distance, and so on.

The hands-on play and high-level dungeon demo was the kind of pitch-perfect fantasy MMO that the likes of Vanguard have been grasping at without success in the last couple of years. There's very little new or surprising about this aspect of Age of Conan - aside from the way the talent systems open up or the way the level structures are delivered - and the core game is still a mix of tanks, healers and damage-dealers.

Nevertheless we now get the sense that this is simply the backbone of the game, and that Age of Conan has much more going on in the background.
They're impresed with the PVP stuff, siege warfare, fortresses etc., but they and the devs know it really won't be known how well it works on a massive scale until the game launches.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2008, 05:20:21 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 07, 2008, 02:41:58 AM

holy sweet underaged female Link that looks hot!  my only gripe would be the capes- they look rather stiff.

Because I can,
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2008, 10:31:39 AM »

One things for sure they're not going for the lowest common denominator in system spec's.!

Now this is the reason I recently upgraded.

This might give WoW a bloody nose after all. Not sure it will win the fight, but the opening round should be interesting.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2008, 03:41:09 PM »

What's the current release date?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2008, 03:59:39 PM »

Quote from: Jag on March 07, 2008, 03:41:09 PM

What's the current release date?

May 20th 2008.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2008, 04:50:26 PM »

Even if I'm not a WoW fan, two things to keep in mind:
-Families love playing stuff like WoW and COH (among others) together, and I'm not sure flying heads and limbs, and blood spray on your HUD (even if you can turn violence settings down) will have as wide an appeal. My favorite Turbografix-16 game was "Splatterhouse," and my favorite fighting game was probably "Die By The Sword," so you probably can tell my feelings. icon_twisted Though I'm not quite the Gore fan I once was...

-Not that retailers are very good about policing it (I saw a guy sell a Grand Theft Auto game to what appeared to be a 12 year old once, no parents in sight), but the M-rating may reduce the buying audience and perhaps prevent certain squeamish retailers (Wal-Mart etc.) from carrying it.

Well my tiny carp was that it seems like sword animations seem strictly horizontal, without a lot of variety (beyond the Kill Moves). Hopefully, it's just the footage they showed.

Eurogamer (imho) is notoriously hard on games in previews, but I like that -- do we really need another preview about how awesomolicious something is? So I was kinda impressed that they did a 360 on Age of Conan after expressing much disappointment in what they had tried a few months back.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2008, 07:48:25 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 07, 2008, 10:31:39 AM

One things for sure they're not going for the lowest common denominator in system spec's.!

Now this is the reason I recently upgraded.

This might give WoW a bloody nose after all. Not sure it will win the fight, but the opening round should be interesting.

I'm excited for this game and really want to give it a try, but I wouldn't expect anything with such high system requirements to "give WoW a bloody nose".  Hell, my work computer will probably choke on this and it's way better than my home machine. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2008, 10:35:38 PM »

Bloody nose, not a knock-out......
I think WoW will retire king of the ring.

But there is still hope for those longing for a new, well done MMO.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2008, 10:37:32 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 07, 2008, 07:48:25 PM

I wouldn't expect anything to "give WoW a bloody nose". 

Fixed for you.  Not even WAR which i'm pretty sure will do better than AoC.  Looking forward to the technical beta this Sunday.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: