http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 02:17:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A nice map, but something weird.  (Read 3669 times)
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2005, 01:53:08 AM »

http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/warcry/wow/map/  

At the above link you will find a huge, detailed picture of the Right side continent of the WoW universe. It's about 10mb and is like a high res sat. image of the entire continent.

The weird part comes near the bottom. If you look to the west of booty bay and STV, you will see two islands that seem to be somewhat built up, yet in all my travels, I have never seen them and they don't show on the regular map.

Any ideas?
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 03:54:10 AM »

Hmmmm.... expansion packs maybe?

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 04:18:31 AM »

Could be the "Developer Isles" rumored to exist in the game.  That or zones under construction.  

An (ex)guildmate of mine was actually tempbanned (24 hours) for stumbling into one of the zones under construction and not petitioning to be removed or something (great customer service, Blizzard--ban players who go 'out of bounds' due to your own game's bugs... but I digress).  Basically, he was hanging out exploring, looking at these crocdile-esque monsters that conned level 500, (Cosmos's way of saying the level's not set or it's a boss/invincible mob), and aggressive, despite the fact the mobs never attacked him.  Anyway, while he was exploring, a circle of Spirit Healers suddenly spawned around him, Level 500 "Guardians of Blizzard."  They killed him instantly.  When he regained control of his character in front of the (real) Spirit Healer, he got a tell from a GM telling him he'd entered a restricted zone and would be temp-banned for 24 hours.  The GM also told the guy to tell our guild that if anyone from the guild was found in the restricted zone, they'd be banned for two weeks or more.  Then the guy was disconnected.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 08:06:46 AM »

That's a cool map.

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Could be the "Developer Isles" rumored to exist in the game.  That or zones under construction.  

An (ex)guildmate of mine was actually tempbanned (24 hours) for stumbling into one of the zones under construction and not petitioning to be removed or something (great customer service, Blizzard--ban players who go 'out of bounds' due to your own game's bugs... but I digress).  Basically, he was hanging out exploring, looking at these crocdile-esque monsters that conned level 500, (Cosmos's way of saying the level's not set or it's a boss/invincible mob), and aggressive, despite the fact the mobs never attacked him.  Anyway, while he was exploring, a circle of Spirit Healers suddenly spawned around him, Level 500 "Guardians of Blizzard."  They killed him instantly.  When he regained control of his character in front of the (real) Spirit Healer, he got a tell from a GM telling him he'd entered a restricted zone and would be temp-banned for 24 hours.  The GM also told the guy to tell our guild that if anyone from the guild was found in the restricted zone, they'd be banned for two weeks or more.  Then the guy was disconnected.

And that's really lame on the part of Blizzard...

Sandwiches do fix everything.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 06:52:26 PM »

In beta the areas were well known and just about impossible to get past the guardians that were not ready for play.  NOt too mention the guardians would shout warnings as well.  The guy knew it went in anyway due to bug or not its an exploit.  he got banned for 24 hours big deal it will teach him not to do what he knows he shouldnt.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 07:15:01 PM »

Quote from: "drifter"
In beta the areas were well known and just about impossible to get past the guardians that were not ready for play.  NOt too mention the guardians would shout warnings as well.  The guy knew it went in anyway due to bug or not its an exploit.  he got banned for 24 hours big deal it will teach him not to do what he knows he shouldnt.
1.)  This wasn't in beta, it was in retail.

2.)  He reached the area by phasing through the side of a cliff in the swamp zone.  As he told it, he was going for a resource vein in very uneven terrain on the cliff when his character suddenly stopped moving.  He struggled and ended up phasing through a polygon in the terrain.  He 'fell through the world' and 'landed' in the area described above.

3.)  He didn't see any Guardians til they spawned around him.

4.)  He didn't know the place existed.  He was victim of a terrain bug and got warped there.

In short, you don't know what you're talking about.  But I'm sure Blizzard will thank you for defending their actions.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 08:39:07 PM »

Thats nice L/E and I never believe stories from a friend of a friend who say Ferris Bueller pass out at 31 flavors last night.

In short you have an axe to grind with Blizzard about WoW and never miss a chance to post a negative.  You quit the game move the heck on.

I am sure that the guy was absolutely innocent and the smite gods just bore down on him for no reason what so ever.

He got into an area he did not belong in by a bug (not his fault) then he explored it (his fault) knowing he most likely did not belong and he got caught.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 09:24:51 PM »

All I have to say is, 24 hour ban?  Big deal.  Why shouldn't Blizzard give him a slap on the wrist if he stumbled across somewhere which obviously he should have been?

You have such a beef with Blizzard, LE, it cracks me up.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 10:43:18 PM »

I would think LE's story has merit.

But I wouldn't blame Blizzard for being ham-handed though... they probably get tons of morons who try to get into the developer isles on purpose.  I bet someone from the same guild got in earlier, hence the threat to the entire guild.  Unfortunately he was made an example of.  Sucks.

Just Hiro will do.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 11:40:45 PM »

In short you have an axe to grind with Blizzard about WoW and never miss a chance to post a negative.  You quit the game move the heck on.
I don't have an axe to grind with Blizzard.  I have an axe to grind with Blizzard fanbois (blizzbois) who apologize for every mistake Blizzard makes involving World of Warcraft (which is more than I can count).

The GMs could have removed the guy from the zone and said "Sorry for the bug.  You shouldn't have been there.  Don't try to go back or we'll have to punish you."  Instead?  Slayed and tempbanned.

Does it not worry you blizzbois on some level that GMs only respond in negative manners, and spew buearucratic bullshit the rest of the time?  Jesus, the three or four times I had the displeasure of contacting a GM, I felt like I was on that annoying Capital One commercial where David Spade says "No" in nine different languages.  Except I didn't have the pleasure of hearing Blizzard scream NUNKA! at the end.

All I have to say is, 24 hour ban? Big deal. Why shouldn't Blizzard give him a slap on the wrist if he stumbled across somewhere which obviously he should have been?

Slap on the wrist = slayed and has to rez at the Spirit Healer.

Overboard = 24-hour banning for an offense the player can't rectify AND that was Blizzard's fault (collision detection problem in their zone geometry).

And you're so quick to apologize for them, depward, that I wonder if you're on their payroll.

But I wouldn't blame Blizzard for being ham-handed though... they probably get tons of morons who try to get into the developer isles on purpose. I bet someone from the same guild got in earlier, hence the threat to the entire guild. Unfortunately he was made an example of. Sucks.

Well I agree in being heavy-handed when it's actually the player at fault, but in this case, it wasn't.

As for the developer isle, it was only reached in Beta, I think.  Supposedly it had one of each resource node in it, lined up in rows by type, two tester quests, a little farmland, three giant squirrels, all level one, two of which dropped incredibly nice items by the handfuls, the third of which dropped totally random stuff.

Developer Island still exists.  There were reports just before I cancelled of the Globaldefense channel on... Blackrock, I think, spamming "Developer Island is under attack!"  A community manager admitted there was testing going on that day which was responsible for the message.

As for my guild getting in restricted zones before -- it never happened.  We were big, but we communicated well.  We would have known if this was anything more than a one-time thing.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 11:56:44 PM »

I remember a story when WoW was in beta of someone getting into area they didnt belong in.  They knew it.  Blizz told people they didnt belong in certain areas, and they had 'guardians' of some sort that I dont know about.  He went in, took some screenshots before he got yanked out.  I dont seem to remember the person from beta being mad, I dont know if he got banned or not.  Doesnt matter.  L/E, did they ban you for 24 hours?  If your not playing, and it wasnt someone who was directly connected to you why does it matter?
There was, awhile back, when I was playing EQ, of someone who wrote a story about two dark elves, who captured a 13th year human.  Now on the RP servers people had different ways of saying 'level', and year or season was one of them.  Anyways, the Dark elves did nasty stuff, in the story which ended with the 'murder' of the human.  Anyways, this kids parents found out somehow, someone turned him in for abuse of a 'minor' because of they assumed 13 years meant 13 year old.  Verant then banned the person.  Not for 24 hours.  Not for a week.  Perma-Ban.  They never let them play again.  That seems like a much more minor infraction to be complaining about.  But the story writer didnt.  He wrote some nasty stuff on a website about Verant, and stopped playing thier game.  In the grand design one person does not matter to any of these companies.  even 10 people dont matter.  I am sure even if All the Wanderers guild on Whispering left, they wouldnt care.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 12:24:56 AM »

And you're so quick to apologize for them, depward, that I wonder if you're on their payroll.

... huh?  I apologized "for them"?  I have no clue when I apologized to anyone.  The concept of comprehension - it helps when reading what people have to say!  Seriously, is a 24 hour ban really that bad?  If you can't play one game for 24 hours is it really that big of an ordeal?  Think about it.  There are a million things you can do in the span of 24 hour other than play one video game.  It's not that big of a deal.

Also, that remark that you made just proves the point that you've gotten so worked up about WoW that it's obviously become some sort of mental personal problem with you.  No I'm not on "their payroll" and no, not everyone who disagrees with the points that you make about WoW isn't some sort of "undercover Blizzard worker" vehemently set out to defend Blizzard.

Just give it a rest.  Please.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 12:35:24 AM »

Quote from: "GGMark"
I remember a story when WoW was in beta of someone getting into area they didnt belong in.  They knew it.  Blizz told people they didnt belong in certain areas, and they had 'guardians' of some sort that I dont know about.  He went in, took some screenshots before he got yanked out.  I dont seem to remember the person from beta being mad, I dont know if he got banned or not.  Doesnt matter.

Again, that individual chose to enter and chose to break the rules.  My guild mate did not.  He was forced into the out-of-bounds zone, and then was punished for being there.

Of course, events like that would never happen if -- gasp -- Blizzard had a f-cking TEST SERVER.

L/E, did they ban you for 24 hours?  If your not playing, and it wasnt someone who was directly connected to you why does it matter?

No, I was not banned.  However, it matters because I was playing when it occured and the fellow was a part of my guild.  It also matters because it's yet another strike against Blizzard's customer service, which is starting to rival pre-WoW SoE in terms of shittiness.

Here is a fantastic thread in the WoW forums that's been making news recently.  Apparently this fellow's account was perma-banned without reason.  He appealed, called Blizzard support, emailed the GM who banned him, etc--and Blizzard wouldn't tell him why he was banned!

But you're right, Mark.  Why care?  Why protest?  Even if you're paying Blizzard, they won't listen to you.  You're just money to them, after all.  Just cattle in a field for all they care.  Try not to squirm when it's milking time.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 12:38:08 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
The amusing thing, depward, is that you've never actually countered any of my points.  You just insult me instead.

In fact, have you even made any points involving World of Warcraft, or do you just follow me from thread to thread making fun of me for pointing out structural errors in The Unsinkable Ship?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 12:44:22 AM »

I don't have an axe to grind with Blizzard.  I have an axe to grind with Blizzard fanbois (blizzbois) who apologize for every mistake Blizzard makes involving World of Warcraft (which is more than I can count).

No, actually you have an axe to grind with Blizzard.

Because you can't directly whine to Blizzard, you instead feel justified to childishly namecall those who disagree with your hyperbolic statements.

As an example, above you said: "GMs only respond in negative manners." This is a silly exaggeration, as the two times I've contact GMs they've been cordial and polite. And while they weren't particuarly helpful, they were not negative in the slightest. That, by logic, disproves your point. The truth of the matter is probably somewhere in between my experience and your's.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 12:46:02 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
The amusing thing, depward, is that you've never actually countered any of my points.  You just insult me instead.

In fact, have you even made any points involving World of Warcraft, or do you just follow me from thread to thread making fun of me for pointing out structural errors in The Unsinkable Ship?

Your point about the banning is an opinion, not a fact. You disagreed with Blizzard's discipline over the matter, but that doesn't necessarily make it right or wrong.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 12:54:54 AM »

Quote from: "Koz"
No, actually you have an axe to grind with Blizzard.

Really?  Wow.  You've opened my eyes!

Because you can't directly whine to Blizzard, you instead feel justified to childishly namecall those who disagree with your hyperbolic statements.

Actually I can directly whine to Blizzard.  The thing is, it wouldn't matter.  Hell, even if the majority whines to Blizzard, they don't budge.  I could motivate a brick wall to do things before I could convince Blizzard to do them.

You missed the definition of a blizzboi.  Blizzbois aren't people who like the game or disagree with me on issues involving the game.  Blizzbois are the kind of person who takes criticisms against Blizzard and World of Warcraft as personal attacks, and responds in kind with personal attacks against the criticizer.

In short, I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me.  That's fine, go for it.  I'd appreciate it if you'd provide evidence for your disagreement, but that's not required.

However, if you disagree with me as a person for criticizing World of Warcraft or Blizzard, then yes, I have a problem with that, and yes, you're a sniveling little fanboi for it.  That's not childish, that's responding in a language the blizzboi moron can understand.

And you'll note, I've not actually called anyone a blizzboi in this thread.  In fact, it's a term better applied to the WoW forums than indie forums like this one.

As an example, above you said: "GMs only respond in negative manners." This is a silly exaggeration, as the two times I've contact GMs they've been cordial and polite. And while they weren't particuarly helpful, they were not negative in the slightest. That, by logic, disproves your point. The truth of the matter is probably somewhere in between my experience and your's.

I'd argue he didn't even respond, then.  A monkey can be trained to type "Good day" and "Thank you for playing World of Warcraft."

Perhaps I mis-worded the statement about GMs.  What I mean is, if the GM takes action, the action is always a negative/punitary one.  Otherwise, the GM takes no action.

I'd love to hear a story of a GM actually helping someone.  Anyone have one of those?  Seriously, I'll admit I'm wrong if you can produce a story of a GM actually helping a player with a problem.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 01:06:58 AM »

official warning....

COOL IT smile

There, now get back on topic smile
depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2005, 01:22:40 AM »

**edit due to being accused of personal harassment and not to have further evidence be "incriminating" towards myself**

I don't see why they wouldn't have a test server, but then again, if someone is put into a situation where they're somewhere they know they most likely shouldn't be, then why don't they stop, call a GM, and report it instead of exploring a bit.  Wouldn't you think, in the back of their mind, they would be thinking that they might get banned for something like that?  And it's only a 24-hour ban - it's no big deal!

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2005, 05:36:46 AM »

Just out of curiousity, if you fell through the world, how would you know if you ended up somewhere you shouldn't be, and not some random point in a normal zone?
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2005, 05:38:51 AM »

There was a hole in the world in EQ under one of the bridges in the karanas, you cvould fall through to someplace, but I dont remember where it was.  It was there a long time before they fixed it.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 09:15:58 AM »

IMO unless you are using some kind of client side hack that they can detect somehow, they shouldnt ban anyone for any length of time unless they give the player a documented warning first and he/she ignores it and does it again.

olaf
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2005, 01:20:21 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
IMO unless you are using some kind of client side hack that they can detect somehow, they shouldnt ban anyone for any length of time unless they give the player a documented warning first and he/she ignores it and does it again.

olaf

I concur.  The banning, assuming it's not just heresay, was bs.
Ender
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2005, 05:00:03 PM »

That thread on blizz forum is BS btw.  That person (save baxter) was logged on with his wife's account posting.  Blizz came out and said his account was banned for speed hacking, not levitating.   It was similar to all the "I didn't maphack, blizzard falsely banned me" stuff in wc3.  Sure sure, just take your trash out of the game and come back when you're better behaved.  I would much rather risk falsely punishing 1 out of 20 people if it meant that those other 19 were correctly punished.  If that one was marginal (as in the case of your friend) the punishment isn't major but it is a deterrant.  Some people have a rather ego-centric view of the world and everything that happens to them or close to them turns into some sort of personal crusade to fix the system.  Most be hard going through life like that...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: