http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 07:25:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 24 hours  (Read 5758 times)
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2004, 05:01:12 AM »

23 hours and 59 minutes from now, if I made a post about WoW on this forum, it would have to be moved to the other forum biggrin
olaf
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 05:24:36 AM »

Is there any truth to the rumor that the supply of the game to retail is being rationed so that the infrastructure on day one is not overwhelmed?  From a player perspective, without going into details, do you think things will be better off than they were during the open beta?

I know that my local EB already has their copies and they are ready to sell them first thing Wednesday.  The guys there told me that WoW is that store's second highest ever paid preoder game, behind Halo 2.

olaf
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 05:43:27 AM »

i walked into a gamestop yesterday evening and placed twenty dollars down to reserve four copies.  praise be that my girlfriend was with me and that three of the copies were for her and her roommates.  otherwise, i would have felt like a big dork.

congratulations, tiny ogre!  i can't wait to play.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 05:47:28 AM »

Congrats Tiny Ogre! Cannot wait to play with my new guild! Great work, now go fix my goddamn mage!  :twisted:
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 05:48:48 AM »

There are a really scary number of boxes ready to be sold.  Unlike most games, if we find ourselves in the happy position of needing to print more, there will be a delay while we build out more server hardware.  We have several options for expanding capacity, and based on pre-orders and the beta have already set one of them in motion, but I don't think people are going to have a problem getting the game.

We fixed a lot of performance issues during the open beta and are still fixing more as fast as we can.  The Korean servers are running pretty smoothly now, with numbers equal to what we had in the U.S. beta.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 06:38:36 AM »

I think on release day we'll see piss poor performance and crashes but it will sort itself out. This is the only game Im really really wanting right now. id like HL2 and Vampire but since the beta ended Ive been cranky and bored outta my skull. Even Rome;TW is'nt making me happy. Too bad I wont have the money for a game for a while unless something strange happens.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 06:56:10 AM »

Glad to see you found your way here Tiny, always nice having a dev hanging around slywink

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 07:16:02 AM »

I made it here right after GG went kaput.  Just haven't had any time to post, for reasons that are on-topic to this thread.

Tonight I'm playing HL2 and relaxing.  All launch servers are already up, you just can't see them or make accounts yet (But I can, I'm up to level 3 already!  Nyah! Tongue )

Tomorrow night I'll be at Fry's signing boxes with the rest of the team if anyone's in So Cal.  

Tuesday night I'm setting aside for a nervous breakdown.  Hopefully that'll give me enough time to recover before I have to see all my relatives on Thanksgiving.
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 07:29:29 AM »

hey TO,

know someone named Biran Hill there?

Congrats on the launch of the game btw.   If I lived in LA, I'd be down there at the launch party!

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 07:48:08 AM »

Quote from: "tiny ogre"
I made it here right after GG went kaput.  Just haven't had any time to post, for reasons that are on-topic to this thread.

Tonight I'm playing HL2 and relaxing.  All launch servers are already up, you just can't see them or make accounts yet (But I can, I'm up to level 3 already!  Nyah! Tongue )

Tomorrow night I'll be at Fry's signing boxes with the rest of the team if anyone's in So Cal.  

Tuesday night I'm setting aside for a nervous breakdown.  Hopefully that'll give me enough time to recover before I have to see all my relatives on Thanksgiving.

I take it this means you are not going to fix my mage smile

Either way, I hope you all stagger the number of people that are creating log ins and entering the game so it doesnt fry the servers-still, you would think after all that open beta server stress you have a good handle on it. I really hope retail feels like closed beta did, man I had such good times testing and uh, playing WoW smile I wonder if stores will have the game in tomorrow so we dont have to worry about Tuesday.

Oh yeah, TO, what time Tuesday will the servers come up? As far as I remember, they never announced that when beta ended. Just curious.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 02:14:11 PM »

Im pretty sure Blizzard did say the servers will be up at midnight in each time zone.  They are selling the game at midnight in many places, so I would think the servers would be up.

Tiny, good luck with tonight and have fun at the launch party.  Is there some kind of 'war room' setup at headquarters for tonight/tomorrow?

I'm also looking forward in seeing the server names you guys have come up with.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 03:06:25 PM »

TO if I still have the open beta client on my PC will I need to install from the disk?  I am assuming that all I really need is the CD-Key to activate my account?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 03:33:14 PM »

Excellent question.  I would like to know also.  Do we need to uninstall the open beta client and do a fresh install from retail?  

If I don't hear otherwise, I will do the safe thing... completely uninstall the open beta and then install the retail.  Not a big deal really.
Libal
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 04:15:54 PM »

Blizzard has said many times that the Open Beta client is the Retail Client, so you will not need to reinstall.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 04:19:42 PM »

TO grats!

The Wanderers are ready and waiting to hit the world of WoW n a big way, it's gonna be quite a lot of fun. Take a long break... say a day or two, then get to work on that expansion! biggrin

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2004, 04:20:09 PM »

In fact, if you downloaded the latest patch last week, you'll already be a step (or 2) ahead of the folks who've wiped and installed from retail as the game certainly went gold before then.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2004, 05:44:43 PM »

Pretty sure you don't need to reinstall if you already have the last OB client.  

We don't have a "war room", but we do have a big TV (well, 25", not "big", but bigger than a monitor) in our common area set up to watch the game.  We used it to spy on people doing Onyxia raids (and laugh at them) on the closed beta servers.  Plus we watched some crazy Korean TV show where they spent THE WHOLE HOUR having some kind of dueling contest in WoW, with commentary and everything smile  Apparently they have multiple networks over there devoted to gaming.  I love Korea.
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2004, 05:52:46 PM »

it was posted on the forums (wow forums) that you wont need to reinstall.  the latest beta client works.

and tiny, i'd love korea too.  cereal boxes and shoes with starcraft characters on them...oh my!

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2004, 08:03:34 PM »

Very cool having our own pet WoW dev  :wink:  WoW threads here have a lot less of the "noise" that the official forums always seem to have.

Hoping we can get an occasional "inside scoop" on things from you smile

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2004, 09:34:27 PM »

Grats TO!  Good luck with the launch, you're sure as hell going to need it.  biggrin

Here's to hoping you cool cats will work on some of the massive balance issues between classes after launch... why Rogues are doing 2-3 times the damage output of any other class is pretty far beyond me.

Where's the caster love?!   frown

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004, 09:41:36 PM »

lol I called ebgames.com to check on an order.

First thing that greets me is a recorded message saying 'If you are calling about World of Warcraft...' lol.  I have never heard them have a pre-recorded message for one specific game.  Not only that, but I have been on hold for  15minutes and counting, the longest I have ever had to hold with them.  Normally a human picks up on the first ring.

I hope you have those extra servers racked and ready to go!

olaf
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2004, 09:49:47 PM »

What I really want to know is what time the servers go live smile
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2004, 09:57:11 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
What I really want to know is what time the servers go live smile

Rage I read somewhere that the Server will go live at midnight during each time zone.  I tried to convince the girl at my local EB to give me my copy today, but no dice.  So I will be at the stor bright and early at 10 AM.

NiM$
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2004, 10:55:38 PM »

lol tru1cy, i just got back from eb myself begging to get a copy and no dice here either.
and i suggest everyone check out the Brady strat guide.  full glossy color with quests, quests, quests, maps, crafting recipies, and free updates from Brady.
this is definitely the best mmorpg guide ever produced.  take a look at it when you pick your game up tomorrow.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2004, 02:05:28 AM »

Quote from: "Xmann"
lol tru1cy, i just got back from eb myself begging to get a copy and no dice here either.
and i suggest everyone check out the Brady strat guide.  full glossy color with quests, quests, quests, maps, crafting recipies, and free updates from Brady.
this is definitely the best mmorpg guide ever produced.  take a look at it when you pick your game up tomorrow.

I called every eb and gamespot and no dice. they have had the game for days and just wont sell it smile

it is going to be an effort waking up that early (i go to bed waay too late).
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2004, 02:10:30 AM »

dammit, i'm starting to get way too excited here.  there's this weird, tingling sensation inside.  like alka seltzer and ginger ale mixed together.  and a touch of salt.

14 more hours.
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2004, 02:35:48 AM »

Congratulations Tiny Ogre. I hope everything goes off with out a hitch for you guys. Even though I'm playing EQ2 now, I hope to be able to play WoW at some time in the distant future. I'm sure it will still be around. smile Cheers!

-Cota
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2004, 02:52:49 AM »

Tomorrow will be a great day... christmas day.  I will be at my store first thing tomorrow morning.  For many years, I will be playing this game and possibly the same character that I create tomorrow.
Ender
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2004, 04:01:28 AM »

I keep trying to explain to my wife that tonight at 12 am will be the most important moment of my life second only to the day she was born and the day we were married (tied).  She doesn't quite get it.

Anyway great work TO, i've had tons of fun playing for the last 3 months and look forward to years of WoW.  After 2.5 years of wc3 I'm ready for a change.

-Ender

PS.  Fix druids and get in battlegrounds.   :twisted:  :twisted:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2004, 04:17:05 AM »

Quote from: "Ender"
I keep trying to explain to my wife that tonight at 12 am will be the most important moment of my life second only to the day she was born and the day we were married (tied).  She doesn't quite get it.

Anyway great work TO, i've had tons of fun playing for the last 3 months and look forward to years of WoW.  After 2.5 years of wc3 I'm ready for a change.

-Ender

PS.  Fix druids and get in battlegrounds.   :twisted:  :twisted:

Fix mages before druids, the druids are beyond help  :twisted:
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2004, 04:39:07 AM »

Oh, and fix Warlocks.

Hell, just fix all the casters.  They all suck.  Except Shamen, who apparently were supposed to distribute all the power to the other casters but got greedy and kept it all for themselves.

No, I'm serious.  Take a minute out of the precious and oh-so-necessary time it takes to delicately tweak Rogue or Warrior talents or melee equipment or whatever and give Mages and Warlocks some frickin' DPS.  

Remember how you decided to weaken cloth armor to an even worse state than it already was?  Remember how you broke the Warrior's taunt ability so they couldn't build up a reserve of aggro, just steal it in the moment?  Remember how you slowly and methodically castrated the Mage until its only use as a class was Polymorph?

Surely you remember this from your Warlock forums:

Tirade 60 rogue, 624078 damage.
Aftershock 60 rogue, 458182 damage.
Kelena 60 Warlock, 325754 damage. (272388 me, 53366 pet)
Elgonn 60 mage, 287506 damage.
Bhazrak 60 warrior (tanking), 253114 damage.
Bloodlust 60 shaman, 216777 damage.
Fenix 60 shaman, 184399 damage.
Shammie totems, 12930 damage.
Ribbon 60 priest, 71645 damage.

But just look at the melee damage. The rogues are sick,
especially Tirade. I can tell you that Tirade's numbers reflect
exactly what I feel all the time
, that he just smokes me in
damage. Already melees outdamage casters by a lot. They will just
get better and better as they get higher DPS weapons while we
will hardly improve at all.
Bhazrak, the warrior's, damage was
not too far behind us casters and he is a defensive specced tank!

People keep saying how uber casters, especially mages are, but
the numbers just don't bear it out. In fact, the numbers bear out
what we casters have been saying: melees keep getting better and
better from improved items while we hardly improve at all.
Take
away a Mage's Sheep and what reason was there to bring them along
at all again?

Casters have major issues.  I suggest taking your next patch cycle to beef them up significantly (and don't put any numbskull restrictions on them like reagents... speaking of which, do you know who on the team came up with the idea of implementing reagents while simultaneously ignoring caster power issues?  Cause he should be kneed in the balls.)  Ignore melees, they're obviously fine.

Fix casters.  Fix casters!  FIX CASTERS!!!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2004, 04:44:26 AM »

Just in case you werent aware TO, LE has some anger management issues smile For the record, i agree with him, but unless I am mistaken Ogre is a uber-programmer, not a class designer or balancer. I doubt fussing at him is going to do anything other than annoy him.

Oh and Tiny Ogre, say hi to any <Almost Heroes> you see in game smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2004, 04:50:20 AM »

23 hours and 59 minutes from now, if I made a post about WoW on this forum, it would have to be moved to the other forum

You just WANT me to stay up till midnight don't you???

Oh, and btw....see you in game. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2004, 04:53:30 AM »

I doubt TO will be reading here at the moment.  Alot of the Blizzard staff is at Fry's in CA, so ....

Don't nerf my Shaman PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NiM$
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2004, 05:04:53 AM »

Quote from: "tru1cy"
I doubt TO will be reading here at the moment.  Alot of the Blizzard staff is at Fry's in CA, so ....

Don't nerf my Shaman PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh dude, you guys are going to get hit with the nerf bat eventually so hard it will shake the Horde playerbase to its core, since like 50% of all horde players are shammies or somethign ridiculous biggrin

For my money, I think shamans are great, and need no tweaking or nerfing, I just see the nerf coming eventually. I really am not a class hater like so many, I jsut think mages, my favorite, have fallen far from grace.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2004, 09:39:08 AM »

If I had to guess regarding upcoming class balance:

Rogues, Shamans, Paladins will be getting nerfed.

Warlocks will be getting a boost.

All others about the same.  Except I still think they will have to do something to restore the Warrior's ability to hold aggro.  Either that or retune most instances.

olaf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: