http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 01:05:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Xbox 360 GTA IV] Tuesday Night Geezers Gone Gang-Bangin'  (Read 12074 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2008, 03:41:33 PM »

is there a site that gives better info on the MP options than the POS manual Rockstar deemed to give us?  we tried doing some MP last night and I didn't see an option to make a game private when I tried hosting, plus apparently the other players couldn't invite anyone yet we were getting random people coming in.

oh, and Team Deathmatch with the police turned on is very interesting  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2008, 03:44:46 PM »

Try Rockstar's "Getting Started" guide to multiplayer, attached.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2008, 05:50:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 07, 2008, 03:41:33 PM

is there a site that gives better info on the MP options than the POS manual Rockstar deemed to give us?  we tried doing some MP last night and I didn't see an option to make a game private when I tried hosting, plus apparently the other players couldn't invite anyone yet we were getting random people coming in.

oh, and Team Deathmatch with the police turned on is very interesting  icon_twisted

On my way out the door this morning my wife stopped me and asked, "Do you have any plans tonight?"

Whenever I am faced with this question I know it is leading to something, and my usual response is, "Why.  disgust "

But because we've had crap going on every night this week so far and I've been stuck at the office until 6:30 or 7 night after night, my reponse this morning was, "Yes.  I have plans.  I have plans to get piss drunk on the Kilt Lifter Ale I finally found at the store yesterday and I also have plans to play GTA IV until my desire to kill people in real-life is partially satiated."

"Good."

"Good?"

"Yes, good.  Because I want to head over to a friend's place to help her plan for her party on Saturday." 

"Wait, we're not supposed to be going to this 'party', are we?"

"Yep."

"Fuck."

Point being, I will be online tonight and have a reasonable handle on how to set up private games, so if anyone wants to get some MP ridiculousness in, I'm certainly interested.  Especially since my plans to do so on Saturday have been flushed right down the toilet.  So I better satiate my bloodlust tonight while I have the chance.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2008, 05:53:55 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 07, 2008, 05:50:24 PM

Point being, I will be online tonight and have a reasonable handle on how to set up private games, so if anyone wants to get some MP ridiculousness in, I'm certainly interested.  Especially since my plans to do so on Saturday have been flushed right down the toilet.  So I better satiate my bloodlust tonight while I have the chance.   

Could be worse, Pete.  You could have a two year old child, that while still mostly clueless of everything around her, understands enough that I can't play a game where every other word is 'fuck' in front of her.  I dropped the remote while putting a cartoon on for her, and she said, "oh shit".  Tongue

I'll see if I can weasel my way online tonight.  I still haven't played any MP yet.  Do one of you guys need to send me an invite?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2008, 05:56:10 PM »

Sorry I ignored the invite last night - I'm pretty absorbed in SP and I was pretty close to going to bed anyway.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2008, 05:56:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 07, 2008, 03:41:33 PM

is there a site that gives better info on the MP options than the POS manual Rockstar deemed to give us?  we tried doing some MP last night and I didn't see an option to make a game private when I tried hosting

When you're initially setting the game up on your cell phone, choose "player match", and then the following screen has a reserved spaces option where you can select 1-16 private spots in your game.  I couldn't figure out any way to change that setting once we'd actually created a lobby though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2008, 06:00:38 PM »

I may be on tonight, but it all depends on my controller. I may have knocked something in it out of whack last night when I slammed the controller down in disgust after a really annoying mission-  after that my car would keep trying to go in reverse....

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2008, 07:10:12 PM »

How is the MP btw?  I've had so much fun playing SP, that I haven't even tried the MP yet.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2008, 07:23:07 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 07, 2008, 07:10:12 PM

How is the MP btw?  I've had so much fun playing SP, that I haven't even tried the MP yet.

Mp is a blast, provided you can sustain a good group for a decent amount of time.  There are just so many options to play with.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2008, 10:21:51 PM »

ok I may not be on until late as I may be going to a birthday party.

Because I can,
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2008, 10:45:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 07, 2008, 10:21:51 PM

Be careful what you eat.  ninja

Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2008, 11:25:50 PM »

I'll be on till 9, then on again at 11pm. I'd definitely be interested in hooking up with some fellow GT-ers!

My gamertag is Mattc0mGT

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2008, 01:01:23 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 07, 2008, 10:45:02 PM

So does... does this mean the Ceekay is a lie?

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2008, 01:40:32 AM »

I'll be back on by 10:00 PM, Central and certainly up for some GT multi-playing goodness.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2008, 04:07:54 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 07, 2008, 10:45:02 PM

I had steak, nice and bloody, and a bunch of Killians, which seemed to be top shelf for the place we were at.

Because I can,
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2008, 03:49:06 PM »

When I finally logged on last night there were only five or six playing GTA IV, and I just didn't feel that I would be justified in interrupting friends playing the SP campaign only to have four or five people in a MP match, if I could even convince that many to play.

And then, against my better judgement, I decided to give a ranked MP game with the unwashed masses a try.  I felt that a team deathmatch game might be a good place to start because I knew that the inevitable asshattery inherent in online vehicle races would quickly ruin my evening and I wasn't ready to attempt a strategic game when paired with random players.

The game I wound up in was set up for all of Liberty City.  And the host set up the game with auto-aiming which made it next to impossible to win a firefight if the enemy had a stronger weapon.  The area covered was just too large to find more than one enemy after minutes of searching, the auto-aiming feature made it difficult to stay alive when encountering an enemy in a better position, and the experience took much of the initial luster away from my early impressions of MP.  It was kind of boring.  I spent so much time running around looking for enemies, most of the best weapons were picked up by players more familiar with the game grid, and whenever I finally found an enemy I'd be killed in seconds.  As surprising as it may sound, the conversations weren't irritating or obnoxious.  The people playing were relatively civil with no homophobic or racial comments being strewn about.  But the game was just so boring.  Most players would search for sniper rifles and then pick people off from a distance.  Half of the time you didn't even see where you were being killed from.   

Run around for two or three minutes, die.  Run around for another two or three minutes, die.  Drive around for one or two minutes, die.  Perhaps the game would have been more fun in a smaller area, and I would have much prefered a game with auto-aiming disabled, but after about 10 minutes of playing I just lost interest completely.  Hopefully MP games will be more fun if I stick with playing with friends, but in terms of playing in random matches, I had much more fun playing the SP campaign and had no interest in going back to MP for the rest of the night.   

I would really like to give the teamwork challenges a try, and I'm still open for MP with friends, but I was surprised at just how uninspired the MP felt last night.  I'd really like to unlock new outfits for my character (after all, I am PeteRock), but if that means countless hours of boring MP I may wind up wearing the same rags throughout my MP career.  And if new attire isn't available when playing in private matches then it isn't worth my time at all.

Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2008, 03:54:32 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 08, 2008, 03:49:06 PM

When I finally logged on last night there were only five or six playing GTA IV, and I just didn't feel that I would be justified in interrupting friends playing the SP campaign only to have four or five people in a MP match, if I could even convince that many to play.

And then, against my better judgement, I decided to give a ranked MP game with the unwashed masses a try.  I felt that a team deathmatch game might be a good place to start because I knew that the inevitable asshattery inherent in online vehicle races would quickly ruin my evening and I wasn't ready to attempt a strategic game when paired with random players.

The game I wound up in was set up for all of Liberty City.  And the host set up the game with auto-aiming which made it next to impossible to win a firefight if the enemy had a stronger weapon.  The area covered was just too large to find more than one enemy after minutes of searching, the auto-aiming feature made it difficult to stay alive when encountering an enemy in a better position, and the experience took much of the initial luster away from my early impressions of MP.  It was kind of boring.  I spent so much time running around looking for enemies, most of the best weapons were picked up by players more familiar with the game grid, and whenever I finally found an enemy I'd be killed in seconds.  As surprising as it may sound, the conversations weren't irritating or obnoxious.  The people playing were relatively civil with no homophobic or racial comments being strewn about.  But the game was just so boring.  Most players would search for sniper rifles and then pick people off from a distance.  Half of the time you didn't even see where you were being killed from.   

Run around for two or three minutes, die.  Run around for another two or three minutes, die.  Drive around for one or two minutes, die.  Perhaps the game would have been more fun in a smaller area, and I would have much prefered a game with auto-aiming disabled, but after about 10 minutes of playing I just lost interest completely.  Hopefully MP games will be more fun if I stick with playing with friends, but in terms of playing in random matches, I had much more fun playing the SP campaign and had no interest in going back to MP for the rest of the night.   

I would really like to give the teamwork challenges a try, and I'm still open for MP with friends, but I was surprised at just how uninspired the MP felt last night.  I'd really like to unlock new outfits for my character (after all, I am PeteRock), but if that means countless hours of boring MP I may wind up wearing the same rags throughout my MP career.  And if new attire isn't available when playing in private matches then it isn't worth my time at all.

I definitely would have joined you. Even with 2-3 people, you can do one of the co-op missions, which are supposed to be a blast. I've yet to play them. But yeah... I definitely feel you. The unranked stuff is a bit better, because you can stay & play with the same people, and over a couple of rounds you get to know people and occasionally hook up with some decent, cool people. In ranked, you get a new party every time. As such, I really think that the FFA gametypes are the way to go if you're playing Ranked. The deathmatch, Mafiya work, and GTA Race are all pretty fun.

Anyway, I'll be on again tonight before 9pm and after 11pm (eastern), and all weekend I'll be around as well.

matt "mattc0m" richards
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2008, 04:01:47 PM »

Quote from: Mattc0m on May 08, 2008, 03:54:32 PM

I definitely would have joined you. Even with 2-3 people, you can do one of the co-op missions, which are supposed to be a blast. I've yet to play them. But yeah... I definitely feel you. The unranked stuff is a bit better, because you can stay & play with the same people, and over a couple of rounds you get to know people and occasionally hook up with some decent, cool people. In ranked, you get a new party every time. As such, I really think that the FFA gametypes are the way to go if you're playing Ranked. The deathmatch, Mafiya work, and GTA Race are all pretty fun.

Anyway, I'll be on again tonight before 9pm and after 11pm (eastern), and all weekend I'll be around as well.

I'm really sorry I didn't respond to your message.  When I first logged on there weren't many playing GTA IV, and no one was playing MP, but your message caused me to go back and check to see if there were any others who may have logged on while I was playing SP, and I think there were even less available to tempt over to MP. 

For some reason I didn't even think about the 4-person co-op missions at the time, but that is a perfect game type for times when we only have a handful of people.  Perhaps we can even give the co-op missions a try with just the two of us and see how we fare.  And in the process if we're able to eventually get one or two more people in the game then even better. 

It works well for me that you're on eastern time because 11pm for you is only 8pm for me.  I'm not much of a night owl anymore in my old age, but I can certainly handle playing at 8pm. 

Let's think about linking up tonight to play some of the co-op challenges and if anyone else wants to join us we can take on the AI as a team, or if we get enough perhaps we can even venture into versus MP games if we get enough players.   

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2008, 04:28:09 PM »

I can't play GTAIV at all...my xbox scratched the disk...I don't even get past the loading screens now. :/

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2008, 06:04:34 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 08, 2008, 04:01:47 PM

For some reason I didn't even think about the 4-person co-op missions at the time, but that is a perfect game type for times when we only have a handful of people.  Perhaps we can even give the co-op missions a try with just the two of us and see how we fare.  And in the process if we're able to eventually get one or two more people in the game then even better. 

I'm not 100% certain I'll be on tonight, but if I am & you need another player, please shoot me an invite!

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2008, 07:06:12 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 08, 2008, 04:01:47 PM

Quote from: Mattc0m on May 08, 2008, 03:54:32 PM

I'm really sorry I didn't respond to your message.  When I first logged on there weren't many playing GTA IV, and no one was playing MP, but your message caused me to go back and check to see if there were any others who may have logged on while I was playing SP, and I think there were even less available to tempt over to MP. 

It works well for me that you're on eastern time because 11pm for you is only 8pm for me.  I'm not much of a night owl anymore in my old age, but I can certainly handle playing at 8pm. 

Let's think about linking up tonight to play some of the co-op challenges and if anyone else wants to join us we can take on the AI as a team, or if we get enough perhaps we can even venture into versus MP games if we get enough players.   

The MP game can be quite fun even with 2-3 people Pete, just run races or the solo modes like the one where you race to do missions vs each other.

I wish there was a way to do ranked matches and have settings locked or filtered such as no auto-aim and the like.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2008, 07:07:18 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on May 08, 2008, 04:28:09 PM

I can't play GTAIV at all...my xbox scratched the disk...I don't even get past the loading screens now. :/

At some point you'd think you'd just stop feeding it new disks Tongue
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2008, 07:27:34 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 08, 2008, 07:07:18 PM

Quote from: Dreamshadow on May 08, 2008, 04:28:09 PM

At some point you'd think you'd just stop feeding it new disks Tongue

You'd think that...but I just don't want to return the unit. 'course, since GTAIV has been out now, and I've gotten some playtime in...maybe this is time to call support.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2008, 04:22:31 PM »

I'll be on a lot during the weekend (Friday and Saturday). If anything is going on, I'll keep checking this thread.

Peace!

matt "mattc0m" richards
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2008, 07:37:41 AM »

I have to say I'm not a big fan of the new radar setup we were using.  there's alot of times when it's hard to make out the other players ID tag, and losing them on the radar when they are in what could possibly be your field of view makes it frustrating with all the area the game covers.  Someone even mentioned at one point everyone was busy moving away from each other, which was probably because we were all within sight range but had no clue where exactly even though the game said we could see each other.

Because I can,
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2008, 08:10:28 AM »

Hey, nice night of mayhem and fun! Even Gaming Trend himself graced us with his presence. 

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2008, 02:29:34 PM »

So are you guys playing this on the 360, and if so is it good multiplayer action?

I have the 360 version sitting on my tables (rented).     I'm at a slow point in the main story where I think I might jump into multiplay finally.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »

I'm with you there, msd. I'm just burning off side missions right now but last night GT sent me an invite. So I figured it was high time I tried out the MP. I didn't get the first race we tried, mainly because it was all in helicopters and I've not flown one yet in game. We fired up Cops vs. Crooks and holy hell. Ceekay and I start running towards the street where he jacks a car. I jump in shotgun, knock out the glass, and lean out with my gun. We hear the sirens and all of a sudden a cop car packed with enemy GT'ers roars over the hilltop with all guns blazing. Ceekay takes off while I start blasting back and we escape somehow. We meetup later with another car that then splits. Ceekay gets us to the extraction point on the coast. We hop in the boat and for some reason I get control of it. Right as I'm about to tear off, the rest of the team shows up. The boss jumps in and the others climb on. I gun it only to find that the boss was the only one secure. IkeV and the others fall off the boat, but since it's every man for himself I keep escaping.

Fucking. Awesome.

The next round was equally awesome right up to the point where Kato blew up all the cops in one go since he knew where the rocket launcher was. icon_twisted

We did several races (I actually won one! WOOT!) and the last one found us in high speed race cars at midnight at the airport in the fog. Hi-Larious. Especially when I'm closing in on 4th place and Ceeky t-bones my ass right off the track and out of the race at the last possible second. finger

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2008, 05:16:22 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 10, 2008, 02:39:34 PM

We did several races (I actually won one! WOOT!) and the last one found us in high speed race cars at midnight at the airport in the fog. Hi-Larious. Especially when I'm closing in on 4th place and Ceeky t-bones my ass right off the track and out of the race at the last possible second. finger

hey, you were the one who tried to hit me with a luggage cart.  you had it coming  icon_twisted

Because I can,
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2008, 03:59:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 10, 2008, 05:16:22 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 10, 2008, 02:39:34 PM

hey, you were the one who tried to hit me with a luggage cart.  you had it coming  icon_twisted

I was trying to send you packing.

ZING!

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2008, 12:51:56 PM »

Alrighty, my week of no GTA lovely visit from the in-laws is over, and I'm itching to get back to some fine multiplayer mayhem.  What modes have you guys been playing the most recently?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2008, 02:25:42 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 13, 2008, 12:51:56 PM

Alrighty, my week of no GTA lovely visit from the in-laws is over, and I'm itching to get back to some fine multiplayer mayhem.  What modes have you guys been playing the most recently?
Racing.

lots of racing.

Because I can,
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2008, 03:47:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 13, 2008, 02:25:42 PM

Racing.

lots of racing.

Is that what Ceekay calls it these days?  Its more like high speed bumper cars when he's around  icon_lol

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2008, 03:50:50 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on May 13, 2008, 03:47:39 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 13, 2008, 02:25:42 PM

Racing.

lots of racing.

Is that what Ceekay calls it these days?  Its more like high speed bumper cars when he's around  icon_lol

why steer when you can just redirect yourself off of other stuff?  Tongue

Because I can,
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2008, 03:53:51 PM »

Especially when everyone's driving Mr. Tastys. icon_wink

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: