http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 03:25:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Xbox 360 GTA IV] Tuesday Night Geezers Gone Gang-Bangin'  (Read 11976 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2008, 07:27:12 PM »

How can it even be remotely possible that we have not one single multiplayer topic scheduling a formal GTA IV multiplayer event for this Tuesday night, the night of GTA IV's greatly anticipated release?   saywhat

I, the fabulous PeteRock (Fabulous) would like to revive the Geezer's Gone Wild gaming club by hopping directly into GTA IV multiplayer the moment I earn a cell phone in the game's single player campaign which I understand to be the gateway to multiplayer glee.  Having read a number of reviews detailing the game's multiplayer game types, my most anticipated game dynamic is Cops and Crooks, and I hope to dedicate a fair amount of the evening to drinking heavily and alternating between pursuing criminals with lethal vigilance and running from the police while bringing death and destruction to the city that would rival Project Mayhem itself. 

I do not necessarily have an unwavering desire to host games, but if others require one to take the lead and volunteer in order to ensure some level of organization, then I have no problem doing so.  However, odds are that Harkonis will already have 36 to 40 hours logged between the SP and MP portions of the game (even though there are only 14 hours between the midnight release and when I plan to log in - he's that good), so he may be a bit more experienced in setting things up by the time the rest of us have an opportunity to load up the game. 

Because I hadn't yet seen a formal scheduling thread as we get so close to the game's release I allowed my excitement to get the better of me.  I can't let down the Geezers Gone Wild.  I plan to load up my copy no later than 2pm Pacific (5pm Eastern).  And I will play until 10pm Pacific (1am Eastern).  16-player Cops and Crooks.  Be there.  Host to be determined later.     

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 07:37:11 PM »

I'll be there fo'sho.  Oh wait, new character.

Is good time for play.  I am planning for being there.

Oddly enough 5pm-1am Eastern was about the timeframe I had in mind for the evening.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 08:14:14 PM »

Planning on being around.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 09:49:52 PM »

I'll be selling copies of the game until 12 AM EST - but after that.  icon_biggrin
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 11:17:27 PM »

Hmm I can't get off of work completely but if things work out I may be able to pull half shift and get online at around 8:30 PST.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:56:24 PM »

Yo!! another reason to pad my post count, I managed to get the whole day off tomorrow so look for me to be representing!!! This shizt is whack!!  Dibs on the name Omar! .... Wait what?? Omar was playing for the other team?!?!?  Ok I'm Brodie then..

p.s.  I miss The Wire.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 12:32:45 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on April 28, 2008, 11:56:24 PM

Yo!! another reason to pad my post count, I managed to get the whole day off tomorrow so look for me to be representing!!! This shizt is whack!!  Dibs on the name Omar! .... Wait what?? Omar was playing for the other team?!?!?  Ok I'm Brodie then..

p.s.  I miss The Wire.

That's fine.  I just want to make sure I get to play as The Strike Team from The Shield.  Having an opportunity to go all Vic Mackey on the bad guys will bring me great joy.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 01:07:57 AM »

Count me in for some handjob action  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 01:30:57 AM »

oh, and is anyone planning on being on after release tonight?

Because I can,
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 03:00:19 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 29, 2008, 01:30:57 AM

Yes. Once I get my cellphone.

I should be on until I don't know - 7 AM. Tongue
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 04:29:16 AM »

Only one store doing a midnight release tonight and they are only doing pre-orders, I'll be on sometime tomorrow afternoon Pacific time.  I need to make sure I get a mountain bike ride in before getting a copy somewhere.  I'm counting on there being many many copies available.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 06:40:09 AM »

Quote from: CSL on April 29, 2008, 03:00:19 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 29, 2008, 01:30:57 AM

Yes. Once I get my cellphone.

I didn't have my cellphone-  all it took was an invite from Hark.

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 03:43:24 PM »

I sooooooo want to play, but I won't be around until probably 8:30-9:00 Eastern  icon_frown

-Autistic Angel
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 03:58:43 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 29, 2008, 03:43:24 PM

I sooooooo want to play, but I won't be around until probably 8:30-9:00 Eastern  icon_frown

-Autistic Angel

5:30-6:00 Pacific.  I'll certainly still be online. 

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »

Invite me if you see if me.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 04:44:02 PM »

Sure I'll be there.  Prepare to be amazed by my inherent ASIAN driving skills which were passed down to me through many generations of excellent driving.  icon_razz

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 05:21:17 PM »

I'm a bit afraid if MP spoils the SP experience.  Not the story obviously but weapons and other things that you unlock as the story unfolds.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 06:04:30 PM »

Quote from: skystride on April 29, 2008, 05:21:17 PM

I'm a bit afraid if MP spoils the SP experience.  Not the story obviously but weapons and other things that you unlock as the story unfolds.

from what I saw in MP last night there's nothing that hasn't been in a previous GTA.

Because I can,
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 07:22:16 PM »

Oh yeah, I'm down for this.  If it's a big hit maybe we can get a weekly thing going.

glyc

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 07:27:44 PM »

As usual my day has been full of nothing but problems, and I still haven't learned that no matter how early I come in, rarely do I ever manage to leave any earlier than usual.  But, my goal is to have all of my issues dealt with in the next hour or so, which would put me online around 2:30 or 3pm Pacific.  Not as early as I would have hoped, but such is the life of a division manager.  And still better than getting home around 6 or 7pm. 

I'll probably put in about a half hour of single-player to learn the controls and familiarize myself with the new control scheme, and then ON TO COPS AND CROOKS!   ninja2

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 08:06:34 PM »

I have a hockey game to play at 9 PM.

I hope to be on at some point after I get home.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 08:13:10 PM »

I intend to pick it up on the way home and should be online shortly thereafter. As soon as I get the cell phone, I'm good to go.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 09:14:44 PM »

I should be on as soon as I can get my wife to go to bed alone! wait... really...  crybaby

Yah, I'll be on.  icon_twisted

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 09:16:30 PM »

I'm in and on. Might have to drop for a bit to have dinner with the spouse, but I don't work tomorrow and am willing to display my lack of l33+ness 'till the wee hours.  icon_wink

GamerTag's in my sig.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 09:19:32 PM »

I haven't played the game at all yet, something that I should remedy tonight, but I'm down for multiplayer mayhem starting prolly tomorrow night.  Who should I add to my friends list?
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 11:41:30 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 29, 2008, 09:19:32 PM

I haven't played the game at all yet, something that I should remedy tonight, but I'm down for multiplayer mayhem starting prolly tomorrow night.  Who should I add to my friends list?

Not sure. Most the ones I tried today are already full. I've been having a blast doing Ranked GTA Race matches, though.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 02:02:17 AM »

Well that was a total blast!  Fire Truck Races, Free Mode Mayham, Helicopter Races, and of course FAGGIO Races!   icon_biggrin

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 04:13:29 AM »

I was only in for a little bit around 8:30-9:00, while free mode was still being played.  Quit out because I had no clue what the controls were (just started the game), and because free mode was kind of boring, I thought.  Yeah, random chaos is fun in spurts, but I get really bored really quick without a goal.  I suspect that now that I know how to aim (the SP lock-on works in MP, right?), I'll enjoy all the other modes a lot more than what I saw tonight.

Also, was getting wicked echo on my headset.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 05:01:20 AM »

free mode is a fun diversion while waiting to get enough people for some decent team play, plus it's good for getting used to the controls without having to worry about other team members or what the score is.  Lock On can be disabled by the host-  it does make getting kills in MP a bit too easy at times.

Because I can,
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 06:49:14 AM »

I tried to get into the MP action tonight, but no luck. PeteRock invited me and we started a race. It was badly lagging and then I got dumped. Not sure if everyone did.

Thanks to PeteRock and Purge for the invites. I hope to get into some MP with you guys sometime.

LiveTAG: happydog
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 06:50:03 AM »

I am not proud that the two races I won were the Soccer Mom (SUV's only) and the Faggio scooter races.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 11:18:48 AM »

Multiplayer last night was a blast!  Sucks I had to bail early, but I had a great time while I was there.  I'd have to say cops and crooks was my favorite.  Count me in if you guys get a weekly game going.

glyc

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 12:40:49 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 30, 2008, 04:13:29 AM

I was getting the same thing until I checked my audio settings for the headset. chenage it from the default of headset and speakers to headset only.

MP was fun last night, although I find it funny that the SECOND we spawned in free mode, someone starts shooting.... No discussion of option games or anything. I was hoping for a fun game of mall walkers or parade....

It was fun though, too fun, since I ended up delaying a report for work for over an hour.....better late than never...
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2008, 01:22:43 PM »

TONS O FUN last night.  A bit of a trial by fire as some of us were still learning how to make a left turn while others were doing helicopter barrel rolls while strafing us with the miniguns... finger slywink  but good times.  So many hilarious moments.  Even my wife was getting into it and starting to shout cheers and encouragement to run you guys over more. smile

I love helicopter racing.
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2008, 02:13:42 PM »

It was also funny 3 of us went over into the river and we had a little swimming race to the pier (to finish the main race), and someone kept punching me when I tried to get out of the water.

Oh yeah and who went into the strip club in the middle of the race again?

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2008, 02:32:36 PM »

Quote from: QP on April 30, 2008, 02:13:42 PM

I've hardly played anything online on the 360, but it seems really odd that they don't flash the speaker's name when they talk.  Aside from helping us know who it is that left the race to go to Honkers, it'd help us see who's responsible for the voice feedback (probably me).
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »

Sorry it got rough at the end of the night last night.  Not sure why it started dropping people, but that combined with that insane echo someone was transmitting made me run screaming from the 360.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2008, 03:05:05 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 30, 2008, 02:53:15 PM

Sorry it got rough at the end of the night last night.  Not sure why it started dropping people, but that combined with that insane echo someone was transmitting made me run screaming from the 360.

Did everyone's 360 lock up at about 8:45 eastern?  I had to reboot and it looked like a bunch of people were at the dashboard, so I just shut down because I needed to eat something.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2008, 03:07:39 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 30, 2008, 04:13:29 AM

I was only in for a little bit around 8:30-9:00, while free mode was still being played.  Quit out because I had no clue what the controls were (just started the game), and because free mode was kind of boring, I thought.  Yeah, random chaos is fun in spurts, but I get really bored really quick without a goal.  I suspect that now that I know how to aim (the SP lock-on works in MP, right?), I'll enjoy all the other modes a lot more than what I saw tonight.

Part of the fun of free mode is deciding what it is you want to do.  Give yourself an objective, don't wait for someone else to give you one.  Be a leader, not a follower!

Finally a game lets you go anywhere and do whatever you want, even in mp, and people are complaining that it's boring. slywink

BTW, all you have to do is vote to play a different mode and if enough people vote for the same mode it switches.  The host can't just change modes or I would've.  Problem is that people simply don't bother listening when they are running around killing so 2 people out of 12 actually voted for a new game mode.  

To suggest a new mode, bring up your phone, choose Next Game and choose what mode you'd like to play.  Once a majority has picked a mode it changes.  We kept things mixed up for the most part and did races, a bit of cops and crooks, some coop (when we had under 4 people) and some Turf War.  We did do a lot of Free Mode, but really it's because that's the mode that has something for everyone.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2008, 03:14:36 PM »

Quote from: QP on April 30, 2008, 02:13:42 PM

ninja

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: