http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 08:44:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [WoW AAR] They said it couldn't be done...  (Read 2148 times)
Gryndyl
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2004, 10:30:52 PM »

Last night my roommate and I took our first venture into the Deadmines. We had a quest to go there but had held off for quite some time as it was ranked quite a bit higher than our level. Last night we decided to at least take a look and see what the place was like. Our first step was to ask our guild's (Poseidon-a spin off guild from EQ's Triton) advice; "Can a level 21 Dwarven Hunter (me) and a level 22 Dwarven Paladin (my roommate) do the Deadmine?"

The response came back quickly.

"No."

Followed by several more No's.

And then an explanation; "You'll get through the first part ok, but there's an ogre down there guarding the second area entrance that will wipe the floor with you. Level 20 elite mob and a ton of hit points and armor"

We decided that we'd still go and look-after all, we could always clear the first part and at least have a look at the ogre.

(spoilers ahoy!)

Here follows the tale of the triumph of Wargus the Paladin and Grimmstone the Hunter, as well, of course, as Carrie, Grimmstone's pet condor from Redridge. I wrote this on the fly so it wanders in both tone and tense and probably is chock full o' typos.

The region of Westvale is reminiscent of American Midwest folklore horror.   Low rolling hills covered with tall brown grass, fields of corn and pumpkins, sinister scarecrows and grey ramshackle houses and barns. Creaking windmills dot the skyline and the ruins of collapsed or burned farmhouses hide sinister dangers. Deep into the region is a ghostown, the buildings with gaping holes and filled with debris. Some of them are haunted, most are haven to the upper echelons of the Defias Brotherhood, a gang of bandits that plagues all of the human lands. A weathered barn at the edge of town hides their greatest secret-the entrance to the Deadmines.

We entered the ghosttown just as night was falling, the red light of sunset painting the grey buildings in bloody hues and long shadows. A few Defias thieves lurked outside of the barn and we made short work of them, preventing them from warning anyone of our arrival. We moved through the barn quickly, finding the staircase spiralling deep into a pit in the ground. The Deadmine.

It would seem that all of the resources of the Brotherhood are going to the creation of the place. The dim cavernous chambers and winding passages were filled with mining equipment, strange goblin machines and many many Defias. There were diggers, working the ores deposits and mages and warriors patrolling the halls.

We moved easily through the first few areas, leaving a trail of broken bodies in our wake.  Again and again the ring of Grimmstone's gun echoed through the caves as Wargus waded in, axe gleaming in the torchlight. Carrie had a gleam in her eye and her beak constantly dripped with Defias blood.

It was not long before we came across the entrance to the deeper chambers of the Deadmine. Eagerly we stepped in to see what awaited us.

We had only thought there were a lot of Defias in the upper areas. The lower area was positively choked with them. We began a methodical grim slaughter, Grimmstone choosing the next to die one by one, tapping them in the head with heavy lead shot, pulling them into the waiting fury of Wargus's axe and the vulture's talons.

The bodycount mounted rapidly until at long last we turned a corner and screeched to a halt. In the chamber ahead of us loomed the ogre, his mountain of naked flesh glistening with sweat.

Wargus scratched at his beard. "He doesn't look so bad."

"Hrmph", Grimmstone grunted. "We've tangled with ogres before in Loch Modan.  They're always harder than they look."

Wargus eyed the two Defias that lurked in the shadowy corners of the room.

"As long as we can fight him without his friends I think we can do it."

Grimmstone nodded. "And if we can't we can at least make him remember his meeting with us."

He knelt in the doorway and carefully laid an incendiary trap, then stepped back and swung his blunderbuss off of his shoulder.  He loaded and cocked it then took long and careful aim through his scope, centering it between the ogres mean little piggy eyes. The boom of the shot was followed immediately by a roar of rage from the ogre as he charged towards the doorway, blood streaming from his forehead. Grimmstone immediately followed his first shot with a concussive shot, hoping to slow the ogre's charge. He was quite dismayed to see the ogre utterly ignore its effects. Wargus leapt forward to meet the charge and with a quick nod of his head Grimmstone sent Carrie screeching after him.

They met the ogre right as he stepped into the hunter's trap, flame exploding up around him and filling the air with the scent of roasting pork. The ogre screamed in fury, ignoring the paladin and the bird and descended with fury on the hunter. Too close for the gun to be of any use, Grimmstone pulled his pair of axes and spun into the attack. The pain he had inflicted on the ogre had so infuriated it that the paladin and the vulture, try as they might, could not pull its attention away. His glory prolonged by a few frantic healing spells from Wargus, Grimmstone met his end like a true dwarf, axes in hand dripping with the blood of his enemy. Carrie fled as he fell, grief overhwelming her tiny birdbrain.

The ogre was seriously wounded, however. There was still hope. Wargus fought a running battle down the halls of the Deadmine, gaining enough distance to heal himself  before the ogre caught up to him to once more and re-engaged. His efforts were for nought. Though the ogre was so deeply wounded he could scarce cling to life, the monster prevailed and dragged it's limping form back to its lair, a trail of blood marking its passage.

It was only a few minutes before the ghosts of two dwarves stood in the doorway, the glint of anger and revenge in their eyes as their bodies animated to live once more.  They had come so close. The guild had said it couldn't be done. Determination filled them.

A change in tactics was required. Grimmstone sent a single shot at the ogre to draw its attention once more and bring it closer, then sent Carrie forward to draw its attention with the razor slashings of her beak and talons. The paladin and the hunter waited, alternating healing on the bird as she fought, keeping her strong as she whittled away at the ogre's life.  After they were certain that the ogre's rage was fully occupied by the bird Wargus advanced and added his axe to the fight. Grimmstone began taking careful shots, cautiously timing the more wounding strikes to keep from diverting the ogre's attacks from the bird. Poisen steeped bullets to draw slowly from its life. Periodically he stepped to send healing to his pet. As the ogre's life dwindled, the two dwarves let the caution slip slowly away, beginning to lay down damage as massive as they were capable of.

With one brutal blow the ogre crushed Carrie to lifelesness then charged the hunter that had been plagueing him. Grimmstone met him with axes in hand for a few telling blows then backed off carefully to allow the ogre's attention to be drawn by the paladin raining blows against its back. As soon as the ogre turned away Grimmstone took long steady aim with his blunderbuss and blew a hole through the back of the ogre's head. It stood tottering in disbelief for a moment and then Wargus's axe came slicing in for the final blow to send it to its grave.

The mighty ogre had fallen and the guild was mightily impressed.

Grimmstone and Wargus did delve a little deeper into the Deadmines, only to come up against a vicious goblin contraption that was beyond their means, forcing them to retreat in order to return another day. And they know, the ogre will be waiting...

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 10:48:57 PM »

and after that goblin is something else before the foozle biggrin

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 10:53:24 PM »

We actually have 2 quests (I think) for the deadmines and one of them, I'm pretty sure, is to defeat the goblin contraption. We weren't up to it last night but once we both hit 23 we're going back to take that thing about screw by screw.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 11:15:18 PM »

Cool story!  Even the fan fiction inspired from this game is cool!
Sherpa
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 05:55:54 AM »

Wait till you meet Mr. Smite -- that's as far as I made it the other night with two hunter buddies (22 paladin, 22 & 23 hunters).  

He's got a special suprise for ya!
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 12:55:03 PM »

Not sure if you did these already, but there are two other quest for the deadmines you can get in Stormwind. Go to the tavern in the dwarven distrcit and speak to a dwarf there. He will give you two quests.

What you need for the quests are in the Deadmines but not in the instance portion. It is in the non-instance portion.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 02:19:03 PM »

I was gonna say, a level 21 and a 22 taking out Van Cleef (he's the last guy)? Even I would say that can't be done. But nice job with the ogre, he's the first "boss" of that dungeon and is no slouch.
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 04:21:55 PM »

I started running VC at 20, and I felt overpowered there.  The only problem we had the first time I went was two or three VCs spawned at the end  :shock:

Did the deadmines with a group of five right around 24, and it worked good once we hit our groove.  Unfortunately we ended up getting rid of someone because he was being a l3wt vulture, and I bitched at him for bidding on, then winning, a bind on loot "blue" mail bracer our warrior could have used.  The poor guy was using some crappy lvl 12 bracer with Int bonuses   :x
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 07:14:57 PM »

Yeah, the Deadmines have an odd mob mix. We mowed effortlessly through all of the Defias guys. The ogre was way, way beyond everything else in difficulty level. After we defeated him, we effortlessly made our way to the next boss whom we were unable to defeat.

It seems like if you have a group able to handle the bosses, the rest of the mine is absurdly easy. If you have a group suited for the dozens of 15th level mobs then the bosses will be absurdly hard.

Just seems the Deadmines could use a little difficulty tweaking. I think simply bumping the defias fodder up a single level would probably bring them more in line with seeming an appropriate lead up to the bosses.

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 09:20:37 PM »

You didn't get to the forge yet it seems :wink:

The goblins in there are a serious PITA. After that, the hard parts are just the bosses though, of which there are three or four.
ebane67
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 12:34:45 AM »

Great post!
My 24th lv rogue and my buddies 24th lvl Paladin ventured thereabouts for his goofy 'epic' weapon quest. I had no idea the mines were that extensive!
Without ruining anything, we made it past the goblins, all the way to a locked door, with a huge 'doorstop' on it.  The cool thing was that I was able to actually pick my 1st door and get us through!
anyway we made it all the way to a pier and OMG!  Afer talking about our chances of surviving ANY type of encounter, we used our hearth stones and got out of there!
I wonder if I will find out what was there...
 :roll:

I'm Hudson, HE'S Hicks...sir
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 04:14:02 AM »

They toned the deadmines down a bit.  During beta most everything in there was elite.  It was definitely a rough place to go through.  YOu would see multiple groups of 5 going through areas together and if one group fell the second once close behind.

Drifter
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 12:31:10 PM »

Cool story smile  Well done especially for just writing on the fly!

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: