http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 02:30:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [WoW] PvP just not for me?  (Read 2165 times)
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2004, 06:13:28 PM »

After being smacked down by a hundred near-instant summons by the flanking mobs of an even con quest fella I had to kill in Ashenvale (yeah, *that's* balanced...) about half a dozen assorted night elves and dwarves decided it'd be funny to surround my corpse and do /spit and /laugh emotes. Okay, immature and irritating, but okay. Decided to put the call out on LocalDefence (I was 27, they were all 22-25. I needed one more at least to make it a fair fight).

A 27 shaman decided to join me, and we revisited the spot but they were long gone. We did spot another high twenties hunter there and took her down. About two minutes later, a level 47 (or above -- pet was 46) hunter comes and smacks us down. One arrow critted for 562. I grumble, run back, ressurrect, and... two arrows later I'm down again. She was camping me.

That seriously pissed me off and I logged. The question is, do I simply take this stuff too seriously? Is PvP just not for me? I like it on paper, but in DAoC and I fear in WoW I'll never be on the winning side simply because I'm too concerned with inconveniencing the person behind the avatar, which is nice and all except when the other people aren't. Does the fact that I'm on an RP server mean I was right to expect a little more decorum, or an I just a dumb newb?
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 06:35:14 PM »

PvP is not for me either.  As some people have noted in the other thread about PvP, I'd rather choose my battles, rather than have them forced on me.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 06:41:37 PM »

PvP in these games equates to competing with someone with way more time to play the game than me.  Competing with teenagers home on summer break, people who live in their mom's basement, or just people that manage their time around the game more is just not fun in a level based mmorpg.  Prepare for people who have fun griefing you while you try to level and camping your corpse just because they get off trying to ruin your day.

DAOC had the right formula with specific RvR zones that were not required to level to 50 ie. you could avoid the zones until you leveled to 50 if you wanted.  If DAOC had better PvE and more balanced RvR it would have been the game for me.

I am hoping the battlefields will give those of us that play on PvE servers our PvP/RvR fix.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 06:41:56 PM »

When I read Blizzard's official actions for PvP, how they would allow all of the annoying stuff (corpse camping and so on) in-game on those servers, I knew it wasn't for me.

Personally, I see how it could be a rush to enter an area that isn't "safe" for you, but I don't see how playing the whole game like that would be fun.  I think it would be incredibly annoying.  I really like how the normal servers are turning out in terms of PvP as well, plenty of times I stop to watch a battle going on, and typically I'm glad that I don't have to participate, since the battles are so one-sided usually.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 06:49:11 PM »

You're on an RP server.  This is you basically giving your consent to the opposing side to gank you like mad, because they're allowed to rationalize such an annoying playstyle as "roleplaying."

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 09:25:40 PM »

As if they don't gank you on the non-rp pvp server.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 09:30:21 PM »

PVP is definitely not for me.  Besides, I don't see any incentive to go PVP for this game... there's never a shortage of people willing to duel or PVP-battle on the PvE servers, plus you get to play minus the aggravation of getting ganked when you really don't feel like it.  Yeah, PVP can be atmospheric and intense and fun, but if you turn your PVP flag on in PvE, you can get jumped just as easily by anyone high-level passing by (if that's your thing).

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 09:37:40 PM »

While I do like the concept of PvP(its just so much more fun to get into a fight with other players than killing more mobs). I wish it was more than just open season. Have something like Planetside were you can take over outposts were the game would put your sides NPC's there if you held it for awhile. Get exp for killing players(even just the equivelent of what a mob at that level gives). The rush of getting into a fight with my guild member is fun, but there's more that they could do.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 09:50:16 PM »

My very first PvP experience-my 10th level undead mage was making his first trip into the Undercity. As I go running up the road to the gates I am quite surprised to see two night elves come running out of them.  We all abruptly stopped and stood gaping at each other-their levels appeared only as '??'

And then, as if on some secret magical cue from above, we all began dancing  biggrin

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 01:57:37 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
I wish it was more than just open season. Have something like Planetside were you can take over outposts were the game would put your sides NPC's there if you held it for awhile. Get exp for killing players(even just the equivelent of what a mob at that level gives). The rush of getting into a fight with my guild member is fun, but there's more that they could do.

Thats what battlegrounds are suppose to be like. I am not sure how big they are going to be, but it seems like they will be at least decently sized, because there will be towers and graveyards that can be taken and controlled by either side. And, you will gain Honor points for killing enemies, which is suppose to allow you access to special vendors that have new items and things of that nature.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 02:14:47 PM »

Wait, are you saying all the RP servers are PvP?!?!?!
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 03:05:59 PM »

That Blizzard allows the corpse camping is just beyond me. :?
Really don't get that.
Very glad to play on PvE. I can't imagine why anyone would want to play on PvP, unless it was to ruin the experience for lower level players. Ah well, to each his own...

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 03:54:22 PM »

I am on an RP server and it is not open PvP.  You have to set your flag to kill another player who also must be flagged.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2004, 04:51:43 PM »

PvP or PvE? Which is better for you?  Well, you have to ask yourself one simple question... what kind of swinger are you?

Assume you're a swinger, and you want to go to one of them swinger parties.  There are two parties to go to.

Swinger Party A (SPA) is a standard "rent three hotel rooms and anything goes".  You can bascially do anything you want with anybody.  Now, there will be some moments where it's great and awesomely erotic.  And there's going to be other moments where it's absolutely infuriating.  Here you are trying to have a good time with someone and some other guy is poking in some very inappropriate places.  And while there are going to be some hotties there, chances are really high and most of the participants are 50-year old men and women who aren't... shall we say "physically attractive" and will probably have "mounds upon mounds of pasty, flabby, wrinkly skin".

Swinger Party B (SPB) is at a hotel also, but it's one of them swinger hotels know what I'm saying  :wink: .  There's a lot of the same stuff going on as in SPA, but it's all consensual.  It's not three rooms, it's EVERY ROOM IN THE HOTEL, but it's invite only.  Doors and windows open and all that.  There's some social talking, seduction, an abbreviated flirtation period if you will.  With SPA it's just "you're here, now get to steppin'".  And above all, and this is imporant, the people attending are quite well-to-do, and are considerably more "virus and bacteria free" and "physically toned" than the attendees at SPA.  More importantly, you know with 100% certainty that everyone who's there wants to be there and wants to participate.  With SPB you don't know if that guy was invited or he was the pizza guy who got pulled in by accident (and now he's practically biting and clawing his way out... being below the age of 45 he's quite the catch!).  So it's certainly not as hardcore as SPA...

Just Hiro will do.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2004, 05:13:10 PM »

Well that's a very itneresting take Superhiro...  :wink:
Semaj

View Profile
heh
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2004, 06:09:44 PM »

That had to be the most hilarious description for PVP vs PVE ever.

I think it simply comes down to this,.. and this will start a brand new debate mark my words...

There are two types of people on this planet... Well Might be 3, but for this I'm going to remove the Hybird(which is me) and describe the two types.

Theres the guys who sit with a pkill flag on constantly in the middle of town goading everyone and thier brother to bring it on.  They go arouund looking for fights, and enjoy getting the 'Shakes' from a good series of incidents that has the adrenaline flowing.  Its a serious rush you cannot deny and anyoine who has doen it even once will vouch.  When you drop that guy who has been a thorn in your side for 15 minutes, when your in the middle of a mass combat and suddenly it flares out for a bit, your sitting there going: "Man I need a f-ing cigarette, and I dont even smoke..."

These are your standard PVPers.  They do it because they need that edge, they need that extra spicey sauce to make the day go down better.

I will not Discuss the hippie retards who spam out levels than hang out in zones half thier level and terorrise newbies, they are the scum of the earth imho, but they also sometimes fit into this category, because, well, they cant do it otherwise.

Now your other kind of people enjoy playing a game, enjoy teamwork(usually) and having fun, but dont want to be bothered... Usually its when they are doing things, like leveling.  They want to play a hunter, and kill lots of stuff and work on thier leatherworking and well, play the game.  They enjoy everything the game has to offer in terms of the world and doing what it allows you to do.  (Whether it be exploring remote locations, or doing quests that make you get a feeling of accomplisshment, etc..)  

These people would have a coniption if someone came up to them and killed them while they were leveling/questing without prior reasoning.  These are your PVE people... For the most part....

I am on a PVE server and god knows I kill other people a ton.  Once (ever) in a great while I might be known to die by someone elses hands.  I would gladly spend 4 or 5 hours of my day raiding horde lands and making peoples lives difficult for no reason other than its terribly fun and the rush you get when you see a pack of Horde about to bring the noise/funk/pain.  I also spent a large chunk of my time being brought up on PVP type games so I'm very much used to pvp in all its forms.  

Still I picked PvE because I am sick and tired of being behind the level curve and having to deal with people way tougher than me pillaging me as I would go from one place to the other.  I want to be able to spend an hour or two leveling with my friends and not have to worry about someone else deciding we were having to much fun and ganking us right after a tough fight.  I want to be able to take on a mob higher level than me and not know someone is waiting for me to do it to drop me.  At the same time.... I get this serious itch and wish I could drop this annoying Warlock who is taking half my kills by exsisting next to me.  I want to be able to pound some Mage who looks at me funny (Until he sheeps me and runs, the sheep so cheap)...

So I picked PvE... I can level in peace, but can raid/go PVP whenever I want.  Sure sometimes people dont bite.. hell usually people dont bite.  But if you raise enough of a rukus, the other people like me finally get there and they give you the fight you have been looking for.    If you didnt have the option of doing PvP on a PvE server, I'd be PvP right now and probably debating how to properly hurt annoying horde corpse camping scum.

While his explanation was way funnier, mine was better, so there PHHHT smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Aliasbuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2004, 08:09:18 PM »

While his explanation was way funnier, mine was better

Unless you were the pizza guy...
Pages: [1]   Go Up