http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 12:20:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [WoW] Potential beta character wipe....or not?  (Read 3607 times)
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2004, 03:46:25 AM »

Here is an intersting thread that was recently started by a Blizzard mod on their board concerning the transfer (or non-transfer) of beta characters to retail.

Not sure where I stand on this subject. I kind of plan on starting anew with retail anyway regardless, but it would be nice to keep my lvl 14 warrior for posterity.
Ascendent
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 03:51:05 AM »

I'd love to keep my level 22 paladin I'd keep playing him as well. Whatever they decide. But it would be nice to have a slight cash cow to help support my new characters.

Ascendent
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 05:09:23 AM »

This is the NINTH official thread on the subject. If anyone thinks that Blizzard is doing anything other than blatantly insulting our intelligence and leading us on with these "discussions", they are deluding themselves. There is simply no way they are going to give 100,000 open beta testers a head start, and bring over the 500 lvl 60s or whatever on the beta servers.

It is never going to happen, and it shouldn't. We all need to start fresh.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 05:10:10 AM »

Quote from: "Sam Hell"
Here is an intersting thread that was recently started by a Blizzard mod on their board concerning the transfer (or non-transfer) of beta characters to retail.

The only MMO in recent history (or history, period) that I know of that allowed people to keep their characters was Lineage 2, and that was because the majority of testers had no plans on buying the game as it was so bad. biggrin

It's not gonna happen. At best, you'll be able to transfer your beta characters (or one of them, anyway) to their official Test server. To a retail server, it's not gonna happen. It will SO break the economy, among many, many, many other things, it's not even funny.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 05:45:36 AM »

I could see them turning the closed beta servers into the Test servers and keeping the characters there.  That would probably be a good idea given the current state of the game and all of the untested high level content that has yet to be introduced.

olaf
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 07:08:50 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

It's not gonna happen. At best, you'll be able to transfer your beta characters (or one of them, anyway) to their official Test server. To a retail server, it's not gonna happen. It will SO break the economy, among many, many, many other things, it's not even funny.

Actually, if you think about it, it would not "break the ecomony".

What it would do primarily is force new players to gain their items through questing, crafting, and/or the generosity their guild/friends. Is that such a bad thing? All 3 of those things seem more rewarding than buying something off an auction house.

Thanks to the soloability of WoW, you do not truely need to be decked out in top-of-the-line stuff to progress nicely. My character is still, at level 51, primarily in armor/weapons he has acquired through quests and random drops. How do inflated prices at the auction house affect me? Answer: They don't.

I think Blizzard (and other MMOl developers) place too much emphasis on their virtual ecomonies that are destined to be out of whack no matter what they do to balance them. Blizzard was on the right track with quest, soul bound, bind-on-pick-up items i think. But they fell back into that same ol' line of thinking all the other MMOL game devs have and feel they must try to balance the ecomony. Give it a rest already. It never works and it never will due to the dynamics a virtual ecomony.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 07:55:00 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
This is the NINTH official thread on the subject. If anyone thinks that Blizzard is doing anything other than blatantly insulting our intelligence and leading us on with these "discussions", they are deluding themselves. There is simply no way they are going to give 100,000 open beta testers a head start, and bring over the 500 lvl 60s or whatever on the beta servers.

I don't think they're insulting anyone.  They're just like every other person in charge of a message board:  They don't want a hundred topics on the same subject.  They just want to keep it condensed to as few as possible.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 08:23:43 AM »

Quote from: "Valael"
Quote from: "Rage"

I don't think they're insulting anyone.  They're just like every other person in charge of a message board:  They don't want a hundred topics on the same subject.  They just want to keep it condensed to as few as possible.

Dude-I don't think that the condensing of 1000 stupid, inane posts that say the same things over and over and over again is insulting our intelligence, on the contrary, that was the best move they made. However, what I am saying is that their instance on carrying on this charade that they haven't yet made a decision about a wipe is simply insulting. If they weren't going to wipe-what difference would it make to announce it? It seems fairly obvious (since they stated this a month or so ago), that they are just leading us on and playing to the hopes of a select few in an effort to make sure testers-more specifically, high level testers, keep playing and testing rather than give up since they know their characters are doomed.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004, 01:39:14 PM »

No one expects them to carry them over..thats just stupid....no one ever does and I hope to hellBlizzard does'nt.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 01:42:07 PM »

It seems fairly obvious (since they stated this a month or so ago), that they are just leading us on and playing to the hopes of a select few in an effort to make sure testers-more specifically, high level testers, keep playing and testing rather than give up since they know their characters are doomed.

Excellent point. And I like that they are doing that, even if it's a bit underhanded.
Whatever makes for a better game I'm all for.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 01:42:34 PM »

They won't. You can't have level 60 characters running around at start of retail. They probably need a bit of time to work on high end content. So the wipe will give them the time they need.

Ascendent
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2004, 02:06:36 PM »

I'm amazed at how many players think there's even a one percemt chance this will happen.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2004, 04:00:26 PM »

Imagine the damage that could be done with a bunch of level 60 characters on a PVP server, regardless of some vague game mechanic that would punish someone for ganking a lower leveled enemy.

As a newbie, I fully support a wipe.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2004, 04:55:37 PM »

I'm a pretty big Blizzard fanboy.  But if they carry characters over (As unlikely as it is), I'd be pretty pissed and disappointed.

Maybe move them over to a test server or something, but not the retail servers.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2004, 11:23:19 PM »

1.  I dont think Blizzard is 'leading' anyone on.  At least, I have seen no evidence that they are sociopaths who are just out to fool people, and persisting a lie isnt going to put any cash in their pockets.  IMO they are genuinely thinking about it.  

And of course, if they decide they wont allow it, some people will just feel that Bliz actually was leading them on, but oh well.  Frankly, the people who are currently level 40 or 50 will be so again shortly, so in the leveling pissing contest it will hardly make a difference.  On the other hand, it may give an incentive for some of the beta testers who are on the fence, especially the casual players, to stick around.

2.  Is there anybody who WOULDNT play if they allowed beta testers to keep their characters?  Im sure there are some who would say yes, but I couldnt see it honestly mattering; either way it doesnt make me any higher or lower level, since I am starting over regardless.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2004, 07:27:08 AM »

If they just moved those characters to non-PVP servers, how would it really affect anybody else at all?  

More than likely it will be just for use on the test server(s) to put the new high level changes and content under scrutiny.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2004, 02:41:17 PM »

I don't think Blizzard will roll over any character and don't think they should.  The only good thing about doing this would be to avoid some of the over crowding issues in the noob zones.

Those who have played the game know what a mess it is at the start areas.  Finding creatures to complete a certian low level quest can take hours.  Guess we'll just have to deal with that.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2004, 02:44:05 PM »

The way I do it is get the hell out of there. You really don't need the quests at that level. Just leave and come back if you feel it necessary. I get to level 5 and never look back.

Ascendent
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: