http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 06:01:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (WoW) New patch today, 12/21  (Read 11155 times)
morlac
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2004, 10:34:32 PM »

Quote from: "dangerballs"
Quote from: "RedJak"
I was having some pretty serious speed problems until I correctly modified my router's TCP settings and then restarted the patch download.

You know I jacked around with my firewall but forgot all about my router.  No wonder it has taken over an hour so far and is not done yet.

I think the whole bittorrent thing is stupid.  I have a limit on my outbound traffic/day.  If I go over my download rate gets reduced.  I'm playing to play their game, I shouldn't have to pay to distribute their patches too.

Agree, not to mention now I have to go fiddle with ports and such to get better then 4kbs.  I dont like messing with my hardware settings just to patch a game.

morlac00 on PSN
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2004, 10:35:03 PM »

I'm surprise nobody is bitching about the download/upload process.  So far in the last hour I have downloaded 14.22mb and upload 58.40mb.  Now lets see...I appear to be 2 more hours from being able to play, but I've uploaded roughly 2 full installs to people.  I know this is how bit torrent works, but I'm feeling a little pissed that I seem to be providing basically a download server for blizzard and I'm not getting a whole lot in return.  I personally don't like the whole bit torrent concept as I consider it unsecure as hell.  This is really the first thing that Blizzard has done to piss me off....but in my opinion it is a pretty biggy.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2004, 10:39:23 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"

Yeah... that's obviously it.  :roll:
Sounds like a typical player of one of the Favored Four.  Let me guess, you play either a Paladin or a Hunter?  

Maybe it's less than the Favored Four, now that I think about it.  Maybe it's just Paladins.  Look at the patch notes.  LITERALLY EVERY OTHER CLASS BUT THE PALADIN WAS NERFED IN SOME WAY.

Hooray for balance.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2004, 10:39:50 PM »

I disabled the P2P part and I'm now getting 8-10k download speeds.  I wouldn't have turned it off (even at the slow 2-4k speeds) except it kept saying it couldn't connect to any trackers.  Oh well.

EDIT - couldn't direct download.  It started and then went to zero.  So I went in and checked my ports again and they were wrong...my DHCP address had changed and they were all forwarding to the wrong IP.  So after changing it to the correct IP I managed to download using the P2P in a matter of minutes...easily 150+ instead of the 2-4k I was getting.  Downloaded, installed and ready to go in under 30 minutes.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2004, 10:46:14 PM »

Quote from: "morlac"

Agree, not to mention now I have to go fiddle with ports and such to get better then 4kbs.  I dont like messing with my hardware settings just to patch a game.

FFS, it took about a minute of searching before I foudn a direct link to the patch with ~150 k/sec download speeds.

It's already burned to cd, ready for when I head home.   biggrin
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2004, 10:46:37 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Sounds like a typical player of one of the Favored Four.  Let me guess, you play either a Paladin or a Hunter?  

Maybe it's less than the Favored Four, now that I think about it.  Maybe it's just Paladins.  Look at the patch notes.  LITERALLY EVERY OTHER CLASS BUT THE PALADIN WAS NERFED IN SOME WAY.

Hooray for balance.

No, not really.  Warriors got an overall boost.  Druids got a major overall boost.  Mages got one boost and one tweak that's only relevant in PvP.  Rogues didn't get nerfed.   The Shaman change was minor.  

I think you're overreacting.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2004, 10:47:31 PM »

Hooray for balance.

I play a little of everything actually... an alt-aholic one might say.  My main up until now is a priest.

I have no issue with the fact that the classes are unbalanced at the moment, but if you honestly believe that everyone at blizzard has a grudge against half the classes in the game?  Well... that's just really funny.  :lol:

Have you checked your tinfoil hat?  It might be a tad too snug. biggrin

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2004, 10:50:10 PM »

Quote from: "ericb"
I disabled the P2P part and I'm now getting 8-10k download speeds.  I wouldn't have turned it off (even at the slow 2-4k speeds) except it kept saying it couldn't connect to any trackers.  Oh well.

I tried that but I got 0 bytes during a 5 minutes period...It really sucks when your uploading at 28k/sec and your downloading for all intents and purposes zero.  I'm really starting to get pissed.  This has completely changed my attitude about Blizzard.  I'm writing a nasty-gram when I get on.  I don't pay $15 a month to be a service provider for them.

Plus I'm not a big downloader so I'm not familiar with any "sites" that might have the patches out to snag at higher speeds.  Hey next time how about a smaller damn patch!
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2004, 10:50:53 PM »

Quote from: "Exodor"

FFS, it took about a minute of searching before I foudn a direct link to the patch with ~150 k/sec download speeds.

FFS?

morlac00 on PSN
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2004, 11:00:41 PM »

Quote from: "RPGHero"

Plus I'm not a big downloader so I'm not familiar with any "sites" that might have the patches out to snag at higher speeds.  Hey next time how about a smaller damn patch!

Patch links

http://hosaka.net/WoW-1.1.2-to-1.2.1-patch-enUS.exe
http://guillemot.nu/patches
http://www.friar.org/wowpatch.zip
http://www.christide.com/WoW-1.1.2-to-1.2.1-patch-enUS.exe
http://www.sflora.com/data/WoW-1.1.2-to-1.2.1-patch-enUS.exe
http://www.niktorius.com/wow/patches/WoW-1.1.2-to-1.2.1-patch-enUS.rar
http://www.mygamehost.com/WoW-1.1.2-to-1.2.1-patch-enUS.exe
http://www.mygamehost.com/WoW-1.1.2-to-1.2.1-patch-enUS.zip

Again, I can't vouch for the actual contents - make sure you hit it with a good virus scan first.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2004, 11:00:43 PM »

FFS -- "For *$%#'s sake"

(at least, that's what I'm guessing, I don't really know)
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2004, 11:05:45 PM »

For fucks sakes you mean I need to dlaod this from some unsecure place and make sure I scan it for virusus/spyware and hope they dont exceed they're bandwidth before im done just to get a decent dlaod speed for a game I pay a monthly fee to play? :roll:

morlac00 on PSN
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2004, 11:09:39 PM »

For fucks sakes you mean I need to dlaod this from some unsecure place and make sure I scan it for virusus/spyware and hope they dont exceed they're bandwidth before im done just to get a decent dlaod speed for a game I pay a monthly fee to play? :roll:

Hmmm, so somebody else sees a problem with the current system too....
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2004, 11:16:35 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"

No, not really.  Warriors got an overall boost.  Druids got a major overall boost.

Actually, no they did not. The Mortal Strike nerf was a major blow. The few bonuses they did get do not overcome this, especially when you add in the indirect nerf to first aid and the Druid changes. Do you know that a equal level druid in bear form can easily have higher armor factor than a warrior in platemail, and since the +stamina a warrior gets for leveling up does not add to hit points, have the same health?  Overall boost? Yeah right.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2004, 11:20:02 PM »

THANK YOU for that list of alts....stupid ass BitTornado. :/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2004, 11:24:00 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Be careful...the first one I d/l came in at 56mb.  Blizzard says patch is 39.31 mb.  

(Note to hackers: Try to just put one instance of your spyware shit in a file, not all of them.  I realize I was stupid enough to d/l it from god knows where, but that doesn't mean I'm actually going to open it)
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2004, 11:25:07 PM »

As a shaman who solos a lot, that earthbind adjustment is going to sting.

When I run I drop those things every few seconds to shake mobs off me.

Just Hiro will do.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2004, 11:26:03 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Be careful...the first one I d/l came in at 56mb.  Blizzard says patch is 39.31 mb.  

FWIW, I used one of the last two links in that list and appear to have received the correct file.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2004, 11:27:42 PM »

Of course you don't have to.  Thousands of people have already sucessfully downloaded the patch using Blizzard's system.

But if you're having trouble, you have a few choices - you can bitch on a forum, or you can look for alternative places to get the file.

The choice is yours...

But bitching won't get WoW patched...
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2004, 11:31:30 PM »

Patch links

http://hosaka.net/WoW-1.1.2-to-1.2.1-patch-enUS.exe
http://guillemot.nu/patches
http://www.friar.org/wowpatch.zip
http://www.christide.com/WoW-1.1.2-to-1.2.1-patch-enUS.exe
http://www.sflora.com/data/WoW-1.1.2-to-1.2.1-patch-enUS.exe
http://www.niktorius.com/wow/patches/WoW-1.1.2-to-1.2.1-patch-enUS.rar
http://www.mygamehost.com/WoW-1.1.2-to-1.2.1-patch-enUS.exe
http://www.mygamehost.com/WoW-1.1.2-to-1.2.1-patch-enUS.zip

Again, I can't vouch for the actual contents - make sure you hit it with a good virus scan first.

/salute

You da man Exodor!
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2004, 11:32:00 PM »

You know, one thing that I found odd.  They state that if you have excellent relations with another race, that you can buy their mount instead.  Was this always in the game and just announced, because a couple days I could have swore that I saw a dwarf ride by on a warhorse.  I thought I must have been mistaken...but now I'm not so sure.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2004, 11:32:07 PM »

No, not really.  Warriors got an overall boost.  Druids got a major overall boost.  Mages got one boost and one tweak that's only relevant in PvP.  Rogues didn't get nerfed.   The Shaman change was minor.  

Warriors got one of the worst "boosts" I've ever seen... barring the infamous "AWESOME CHANGES" right before the end of beta.  Indeed, they were nerfed out the ass -- the only useful Warrior skill, Mortal Strike, was crippled.  Warriors are still just Paladins who can't tank or do damage.

Druids' Bear Form is a better tank, and they have a new dropped spell.  That's a step in the right direction, but they're still pretty weak.

Mages got no boosts.  Polymorph is now very weak in PvP, and Portals have yet another unneeded burden upon them.  Where are these boosts you're seeing?  Huh?  Hell, we didn't even get any of our bugged skills fixed.

Rogues got a bug fix and cheaper skills.  They also made Sap less effective in PvP.  Overall I'd say they broke even, about.

In short, are we even reading the same patch notes?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2004, 11:36:30 PM »

Of course you don't have to.  Thousands of people have already sucessfully downloaded the patch using Blizzard's system.

But if you're having trouble, you have a few choices - you can bitch on a forum, or you can look for alternative places to get the file.

The choice is yours...

But bitching won't get WoW patched...

This is a forum about games and a topic about a WOW Patch.  I will complain in here all I want thank you.  Coincidentlly, somone who worked on the game reads the forums here.  What better place to show my displeasure with a whacked out patch system.  And thanks but no thanks on your "alternate places" idea as your first link was full of virus crap.

Ill just dload it at snail pace over nite or uninstall and cancel...the choice is mine after all

morlac00 on PSN
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2004, 11:56:31 PM »

Can anyone vouch for one of those downloads as being okay?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2004, 12:27:49 AM »

You know, one thing that I found odd.  They state that if you have excellent relations with another race, that you can buy their mount instead.  Was this always in the game and just announced, because a couple days I could have swore that I saw a dwarf ride by on a warhorse.  I thought I must have been mistaken...but now I'm not so sure.

Must have been a Paladin, which has it's own class specific mount (warhorse).
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2004, 01:08:19 AM »

I must have been lucky as I was able to dl the patch using the default bt method at a steady 150k/s.  Didn't take too long at all.  And that was earlier in the day also.  However, I had a hard time with the last patch.  Don't know what could have made a difference as I haven't adjusted anything on my end.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2004, 04:24:05 AM »

Can anyone vouch for one of those downloads as being okay?
I grabbed the last one on the list, patched up, and played for about an hour. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2004, 11:51:21 AM »

Quote from: "leo8877"

Must have been a Paladin, which has it's own class specific mount (warhorse).

Ah, you are correct, I hadn't thought about that.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2004, 08:36:16 PM »

Hooray for balance.

I dont mean to pile on, I saw that two other folks had already remarked on this, but I have to say someting too.  How could you possibly think that Warriors got an overall boost?  Do you play a Warrior?  Do you know anyone that does?  I havent seen a single post FROM a Warrior that felt anything like the way you do.

I believe it impossible to get exalted faction with ANY race in your faction, let alone one that you started neutral with.  I will have to see this to believe it.  It goes Neutral>Friendly>Honored>Revered>Exalted.  I dont even know of anyone who is Revered with their own race.  I am halfway to Revered with Thunderbluff, as a Tauren, and I have done every Tauren quest available to me.  It seems like this was not tested at all, and I really dont see why you should need beyond honored to get another race's mount within your own faction anyway.  Its a poorly disguised timesink that they didnt even bother to test internally.

As for the first aid changes, first aid was not ever really usable in combat.  The effect wore off immediately if you took damage.  This change just means you cant regain health from bandaging while moving, which people only used to reduce downtime, AFAIK.

olaf
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2004, 09:05:53 PM »

No, I don't play a warrior.  I pretty much never hear anything about warriors except whining from people who played them during the beta and don't like them now.  So I looked at the patch notes:

- Warriors will start swinging after performing a Slam attack.

OK.  Don't know anything about that, but swinging is what warriors do, so that's good.

- New Ability: Pummel (Berserker Stance) (Level 38 ) - Instant attack
that causes damage and interrupts spellcasting for a short duration.

New abilities are good.  And this one doesn't require a shield.

- Shield Bash: No longer usable in Berserker Stance.

Presumably because of the above new ability.

- Intercept: Cost reduced from 15 rage to 10 rage, damage reduced
accordingly.

Reduced cost is good.  I'd rather have the stun more often than do more damage.

- Bloodrage: Now generates 10 rage immediately and 10 rage across the
duration.

That's an improvement.

- Improved Bloodrage: Now reduces the health cost of Bloodrage by 25%
(rank 1) and 50% (rank 2).

That's an improvement.

- Berserker Stance: Now increases critical strike chance by 3% instead
of granting 10% melee haste. Extra damage taken reduced from 20% to
10%.

Less damage taken is good.  From looking at the warrior talent trees and the damage calculation formulas, I'd rather have the critical chance.

So that's one ability removal, one ?, and a bunch of good things, which equals boost in my mind.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2004, 11:04:45 PM »

No, I don't play a warrior.  I pretty much never hear anything about warriors except whining from people who played them during the beta and don't like them now.  So I looked at the patch notes:

- Warriors will start swinging after performing a Slam attack.

OK.  Don't know anything about that, but swinging is what warriors do, so that's good..

If you were are warrior you would know that Slam is a horrible ability and never used. This is not going to make it used more than it is now (which is never). The reason it is a horrible ability is that is, in essense, a spell. Meeaning you "cast" it and you can get interrupted just like a caster does. If you played a warrior and had this ability you would know that.

- New Ability: Pummel (Berserker Stance) (Level 38 ) - Instant attack
that causes damage and interrupts spellcasting for a short duration.

New abilities are good.  And this one doesn't require a shield.

Its not a "new" ability. It is an old one which warriors had before they got nerfed into the ground. Back then it was available in battle stance, the most common stance a warrior uses. Now its in a stance that has never been worth a crap and still is not worth a crap. If you played a warrior you would know this.

- Intercept: Cost reduced from 15 rage to 10 rage, damage reduced
accordingly.

Reduced cost is good.  I'd rather have the stun more often than do more damage.

Reduced cost for reduced damage is not "good" where i come from. Its a wash at best, and if you consider that dealing damage is how warriors hold agro, then reduced damage would make it worse than reduced rage cost.

- Bloodrage: Now generates 10 rage immediately and 10 rage across the
duration.

That's an improvement.

- Improved Bloodrage: Now reduces the health cost of Bloodrage by 25%
(rank 1) and 50% (rank 2).

That's an improvement..

An improvement on an ability that is still crap.

- Berserker Stance: Now increases critical strike chance by 3% instead
of granting 10% melee haste. Extra damage taken reduced from 20% to
10%.

Less damage taken is good.  From looking at the warrior talent trees and the damage calculation formulas, I'd rather have the critical chance.

Berserker Stance is still a crappy stance and seldom used if you are a warrior that knows what they are doing. Even with these minor improvements, it still is a worthless stance. What good are improvements to a stance you should not be using anyway?

So that's one ability removal, one ?, and a bunch of good things, which equals boost in my mind.

Then your mind does not fully comprehend what is is to be a warrior in World of Warcraft. I challenge you to play one so you can understand how bad berzerker stance is and how crappy the warrior class is overall.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2004, 12:47:28 AM »

Well, the patch must have broken something big time...servers been down now for over 2 hours.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2004, 01:15:58 AM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Well, the patch must have broken something big time...servers been down now for over 2 hours.

After the the most craptasticly slow patch speeds I have *ever* seen in an online game yesterday the servers are down today.  Hmmm.  Shades of EQ2.

In 24 hours more of downtime they will have EQ2 beaten.  :wink:
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2004, 02:31:10 AM »

Well a "blue" posted that servers were back up, of course when you try to log in there is a new message that they are aware that players can't login, which is what the message said 4 hours ago now... guess it is gonna be no WoW tonight then.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2004, 02:57:34 AM »

Maybe they'll fix the bizzare walking lag I experienced post-patch.

In other news, Blink apparently WAS fixed.  Roots are now broken when Mages Blink!  Yay!  Now add it to your patch notes.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2004, 03:01:13 AM »

Personally I would love it if they fixed the Ironforge lag, and made it so I didn't crash anytime I try to browse the AH.  It isn't so much a crash as it is I lag out for roughly 10 minutes and then I alt-tab out to find that WoW.exe is using roughly 880mb of ram.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2004, 03:38:02 AM »

Sorry bro, you have no idea what you're talking about.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2004, 04:44:01 AM »

I see no point in arguing with you on this one, except I'd like to point out that

Its not a "new" ability. It is an old one which warriors had before they got nerfed into the ground. Back then it was available in battle stance, the most common stance a warrior uses. Now its in a stance that has never been worth a crap and still is not worth a crap. If you played a warrior you would know this.

is wrong.  It may have appeared in beta, but that doesn't really count.  The game shipped without it, it's been added, it's a new ability.

I've read a lot on the warrior boards and in a lot of other places, and it seems like there are a lot of people like you guys shouting down people who are saying "I don't care how it worked in some mythical beta time, it's working fine for me right now - you just need to use some strategy", a theory supported by a friend of mine who plays a high level warrior.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2004, 05:09:43 AM »

It may have appeared in beta, but that doesn't really count.  The game shipped without it, it's been added, it's a new ability.

Wow, that's amazingly ignorant.

Need I mention this again?  Maybe you missed it the first time:

CLICK HERE FOR THE MOVIE PORTRAYING AN UNARMED PALADIN PWNING A FULLY ARMED WARRIOR OF THE SAME LEVEL.

But you and your 'high level Warrior friend' are going to tell us the Warrior didn't use enough strategy, right?  That those of us who played Warriors and found them to be horribly broken, horribly one-dimensional, horribly boring, horribly weak characters simply weren't playing them "right?"

Here's the deal.  As it stands right now, Warriors are Paladins who can't tank and who can't deal damage.  At the end of the linked movie above, the simple truth is pointed out:

Warriors == Unarmed Paladins

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2004, 05:21:16 AM »

{shudders}

ooh, sorry.  Im having flashbacks of EQ and DAoC for some reason.  Carry on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: