http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 10:23:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] The Secret World MMORPG : No Longer Pumped, Just Playing it.  (Read 23154 times)
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 13, 2012, 09:14:27 PM »

Tilt - I vote that you post like that at least one day a week.  That was funny.  Don't explain why you're doing it.  They'll just have to figure it out on their own. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: July 14, 2012, 11:10:59 AM »

I'm documenting by video some of the missions I go through in the game, both to show to people who haven't played the game, and to remind myself of the things I've done. Here are the ones I have so far: (spoilers obviously, if you're sensitive to this kind of stuff in an MMO. Not massive spoilers, just minor ones)

For a Fistful of Zombies - Previously posted in this thread. This is the first mission you get in the game that isn't a story mission.

Into Darkness - The first faction mission you get as Illuminati. Shows off TSW's lighting engine, which is miles ahead of other MMOs.

Dead in the Water (Polaris) - The first 5-man dungeon. Took us 36 minutes (which included waiting for an AFK player. Probably would have taken us 30 otherwise). Its design is a bit different from other MMOs in that there are almost no trash mobs, the dungeon is short, and that there's almost only bosses to fight. There's also cutscenes.

All of the above videos are available in HD (720p) format.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: July 15, 2012, 07:51:05 PM »

Wow, I just finished an amazingly shitty mission. Whoever made that one must have had a seriously bad day at work. It's called Breakfast of Champignons and has you running across half the Savage Coast picking plants and mushrooms. With the exception of one of the mushroom types, any time you pick up something it will cause a major debuff on you. Attacking anything while it's still going on is a bad idea, so you just have to sit and wait while it goes away (which takes up to a minute. Great fun when you've got about 15-20 to pick up). Oh, and in one of the areas picking up these things will make some pretty dangerous enemies group up on you. Once they do, you'll be lucky to get away alive even if you consume potions.

Then when you've done this, you go to a specific spot to mix a potion using these ingredients. The problem is that you share the equipment with every other player currently doing the quest. The best thing is to just stand in line while other players finish (yay, fun!).

After that, your vision goes oversaturated, making it nearly impossible to see anything, especially in forests. Then the game tells you to run into a forest and destroy a pod that is about to hatch. You've got just a few minutes or you'll fail. Have fun running through the forest without being able to see where you're going or what you're running into. The best part is when you attack the pod and half a dozen enemies gang up on you and kill you for no reason at all. I had to die and quickly finish off the pod upon respawning.

Then, just to rub it all in, you're stuck in this fucked up mode of vision for several minutes even after the quest is done. Heading off on other missions at that point is suicidal, so you'll just have to stand around and wait again.

What the fuck were they thinking when they made this quest? I went from enjoying myself to being completely pissed off while trying to deal with this crap.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 15, 2012, 09:04:29 PM »

I finished that quest a couple of days ago with my illuminati, and earlier today with my templar.  I really think they should designate their quests as group or solo.  That one would be more tolerable as a group quest.  The first time I also died at the pod, but was relieved to see that the pod's health bar didn't regenerate when I returned.  This time something was happening with the mushroom buffs, and monsters were dying just be touching me or something.  It was weird.  I think the quest is buggy.  The first time I did it the color palette change was still present when I logged back in several hours later.  I was getting ready to contact CS when I decided to try relogging.  It dropped on my second login.  The second time I did it the color change dropped after a few seconds completing the quest. 

I don't know how people figure out the mixing part of that quest.  If there was a clue on how to mix things I missed it.  I used the ingame browser and followed a guide for that part.  That's a recommended "Skip Quest" from me.
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 15, 2012, 09:11:43 PM »

Am I the only person that doesn't care that my character is mute?

Tom brought this issue up once again in his latest entry about TSW.

With all the effort they put in to voice acting in this game I think it is COMPLETELY INTENTIONAL that your character is mute.  I get it.  Does anyone else?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: July 15, 2012, 09:16:34 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on July 15, 2012, 09:04:29 PM

I don't know how people figure out the mixing part of that quest.  If there was a clue on how to mix things I missed it.  I used the ingame browser and followed a guide for that part.  That's a recommended "Skip Quest" from me.

The mixing was the only straightforward part of the quest. You start off the quest by reading a book, and it tells you in a very clear way how to mix the potion. You can refer to the recipe whenever you want from the quest log. So that part of the quest didn't frustrate me much, but the rest of it did.

Quote from: Thry on July 15, 2012, 09:11:43 PM

With all the effort they put in to voice acting in this game I think it is COMPLETELY INTENTIONAL that your character is mute.  I get it.  Does anyone else?

They could have just gone the Mass Effect route and had one voice for male characters and one voice for female. It would have made things so much more natural and better flowing. Wasted opportunity.

Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 15, 2012, 09:36:17 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 15, 2012, 09:16:34 PM

The mixing was the only straightforward part of the quest. You start off the quest by reading a book, and it tells you in a very clear way how to mix the potion. You can refer to the recipe whenever you want from the quest log. So that part of the quest didn't frustrate me much, but the rest of it did.

They could have just gone the Mass Effect route and had one voice for male characters and one voice for female. It would have made things so much more natural and better flowing. Wasted opportunity.

Are there any dev posts on the omittance of a protagonist voice?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 15, 2012, 11:02:58 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 15, 2012, 09:16:34 PM

I tried mixing it exactly as the book said - then reverse...then trying out stuff and nothing worked..so annoying - That, and the start of the zone afterwards nearly killed my interest in the game.

I don't mind the no voice thing - people are picky at times but its their loss so whatever.

Anyways - the game is still pretty great - Egypt is fun so far

A new one
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 16, 2012, 01:15:42 AM »

I noticed the buddy key trial expires today (for sending).  If anyone still has one available could you email me one at bookguy at gmail dot com?  I won't be able to play for a week or so but it says the time doesn't start until I log the first time.

Thanks
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 16, 2012, 11:14:36 PM »

new patch going live tomorrow:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=45466

1.0.2 Up­date

Twit­ter post­ing

The Se­cret World‏@fun­com_tsw

The servers will come down for up­date 1.0.2 on July 17th at 09:00 GMT / 5am EDT / 2am PDT. The down­time is sched­uled to last 3 hours

https://twitter.com/funcom_tsw/statuses/224903020364832770

Patch notes

Up­date ver­sion 1.0.2 Notes
**These notes do not nec­es­sar­ily re­flect the final ver­sion that will be de­ployed on Live**

GEN­ERAL
* Up­dated sprint buffs so you can now see which up­grade to sprint you are using.
* Shar­ing Side mis­sions now should work even when the share tar­get has 1 or 2 Side mis­sions al­ready.
* The speed and an­i­ma­tion for walk­ing back­wards has been slightly in­creased.
* Kingsmouth - Jack Boone's hair is no longer clip­ping through his hat.
* Pur­ple Quick­ened Anima can now be bought at Rank 8 as in­tended.
* Sev­eral code changes/fixes to sup­port the Trade­post were in­cluded in this up­date. Please con­tinue test­ing the Trade­post on Testlive and giv­ing us your feed­back.
* Up­dated cloth­ing items to re­flect the nam­ing con­ven­tion in the Item shop.
* Added new achieve­ments for 1000 and 5000 com­pleted mis­sions.
* Night­watch Glyph craft­ing kits are now Bind on Pickup.
* Made Lore piece 5 in Agartha more ac­ces­si­ble.
* Cas­san­dra King now looks younger and more at­trac­tive!

DUN­GEONS
* Night­mare mini­bosses will again drop epic items. The chance for an epic Glyph kit is un­changed.
* All items dropped by mini­bosses are now Bind on Pickup.
* The Slaugh­ter­house - Fixed an issue with hate on the Alek­sei-Chetyre adds.
* The Dark­ness War - Fixed an issue where The Blood­hound could repli­cate him­self.

MIS­SIONS
* Lon­don Un­der­ground (Tem­plar ver­sion): Fixed a bug that would some­times cause the mis­sion to sud­denly pause it­self.
* Vir­gula Div­ina - In­stance: Amity House - The doll's puz­zle feed­back on the chalk­board now shows the hang­man cor­rectly.
* Into Dark­ness (Tem­plar) - In­stance: Co-op Park­ing Garage - "In­ves­ti­gate the lower lev­els" now trig­gers with bet­ter tim­ing.

The Scorched Desert
* A Shadow Over Egypt - Low­ered the health of the sum­moned mini golems.

City of the Sun God
* The Dark Places :The filth at­tacks from the Soul Cor­rup­tor should no longer per­sist after leav­ing the Ravine of the Cham­pion.
* War­rior Spirit of Hemit­neter dur­ing "Blood and Fire" should now have more hit­points and dps.
* The mis­sion "Heavy Met­als" should now cor­rectly get sorted under "City of the Sun God" for com­pleted mis­sions in the Mis­sion Jour­nal.
* Black Sun, Red Sand : Killing the Black Pharaoh after death now al­lows play­ers to com­plete the mis­sion.

GENERAL
* The Secret World has a new desktop icon!
* Fixed a bug that caused custom chat tabs to lose subscription to some chat channels on zoning.
* Fixed an issue where certain items could not be bought at faction vendors when levelling up several faction ranks at once.
* Fixed an issue where some anima wells in dungeons were not being discovered properly.
* Lore : And Did Those Feet in Ancient Time no longer unlocks when completing only Chariots of Fire.
* Cutoff harness clothing will no longer cause invisible arms if worn with a sports bra.
* Deck outfit Warrior is no longer causing characters to look bald.
* Villagers around Transylvania will reply more responsively to clicks for random chat phrases.
* Male Dawn Leathers clothing item will now appear in the players dressing room when it is supposed to.
* Fixed several bugs that sometimes caused user preferences/settings to not transfer between different computers.
* Fixed an issue where auto run was being interrupted randomly.
* Fixed an issue where your screen would become dark after resurrecting in The Blue Mountain.

COMBAT
* Volatile Current should no longer randomly stop working.

DUNGEONS
* If you log out inside a dungeon, your character will now still be inside that dungeon instance when you log back in.
* Polaris : (Nightmare) Ur-Things now disappear before the Veil phase is lifted.
* The Slaughterhouse : Improved various effects throughout the dungeon, based on player feedback.
* The Ankh : Melothat's debuffs will end when he dies.
* Hell Raised Nightmare: Machine Tyrant - the Anima Vortex for removing the Machine Tyrant's Anima Overcharge should no longer permanently disappear when waiting to begin the encounter.
* Checkpoints in Hell Raised and Hell Eternal should now function correctly for players joining these dungeons while they are in progress.
* The Darkness War : The Mayan Battle Mage's loot will now always spawn on the ground.

GUI
* Resolved several issues with resizing data table columns in guis.
* Gear manager builds are now updatable without having to first delete the previous build.
* Tradepost GUI will no longer reset to its default location when it is closed and re-opened.

MISSIONS
London
* Fixed the timing of the audio on Zamira's cinematic.

Seoul
* Added an extra check towards the mission goals to support instances where the player finds themselves back in the Dojang instead of in Seoul.

The Blue Mountain
* The Benevolent Conspiracies: Pausing the mission during Tier 2 should no longer prevent the players from completing the mission. Furthermore, the items used during the mission can still be picked up during the Tier they are used in by grabbing them from the correct soldier corpse.
* The Benevolent Conspiracies: Pausing the mission will no longer remove the Checkmate beacon from the player's inventory. For those who already lost their Checkmate beacon, on Tier 5 you can pick it up again from the dead soldier's bag.
* The Blue Harvester will now drop his loot.
* The Haunting: Fixed an issue where you could fail a task during The Haunting and have no fallback task.
* Off the Menu: Fixed an issue that would sometimes leave Bloodfang (tier 3) stuck in his lair.
* Further changes have been made through the various camps of Blue Mountain. Mob density, tricky pulls, and safe zones were the focus of these changes. The zones addressed were:
-Southern Beach
-Skull Island Draugs
-Mansion's Surroundings
-Blue Ridge Mine Entrance
-Haunted Forest
-Abandoned Building (asylum)
-Northern Ak'Ab camp
-Western Beach
-Orochi Camp Zombies
-Pumpkin Patches

City of the Sun God
* Black Sun, Red Sand : Corrected an issue with Akhenaten's Death Awaits ability.
* Blood and Fire – Fixed an issue with the Hemitneter's Clasp that would prevent players from restarting the mission during tier 1.
* The Dark Places – The filth attacks from the Soul Corruptor should no longer persist after leaving the Ravine of the Champion.

Kingsmouth
* The Hunger : Fixed an issue where the Voracious Wendigo could become stuck at 50% health and immune, but keep attacking.

The Savage Coast
* Carnival of Souls : Winter's Monocle can now be deleted by players.
* Theme Park Tycoon : The sound of the Octotron no longer persists after completing tier 2.
* Theme Park Tycoon : The clown now despawns and respawns as intended.
* Gravity : Winter's Plans can no longer be deleted from your inventory.
* The Black House : Did some fixes to ensure that Carrie Killian's ashes should now respawn correctly.

The Shadowy Forest
* The Architect has had some tweaking done to his encounter, to make it slightly less difficult.
* Tenebrae should no longer be using placeholder abilities.

The Scorched Desert
* High Cost of Dying : Corrupted Water Guardian is now easier to kill.
* Nathifa is now less difficult to kill.
* Caahs the Soul Spawn now has a spawn animation.
* The Big Terrible Picture : Both the flames and crystals puzzles should now reset correctly.
* Between a Rock and a Hard Place : Fixed an issue which made the mission not completeable in tier 2.

TRADEPOST/BANK/MAIL
* The Cabal Bank tab is now only displayed after closing and re-opening the GUI if the cabal is created when the tradepost GUI is opened.
* Fixed error on dragging items between different pages in the bank.
* Players will now receive an onscreen message when the Send button does not work.
* Click and drag has been disabled on items that are for sale.
* Right-click popups in the tradepost gui are now contained within the right side or bottom of your screen.
* You can no longer walk away from the bankers while the delete confirmation popup is onscreen.
* The right click menu on bank now has a subtle background.
* The mail notification icon now quickly blinks 5 times when new mail is received.
* Pressing ESC now closes the delete mail dialog.
* When deleting an item from the Cabal bank, the dialog message now references the cabal bank instead of the inventory.
* Pressing ESC closes the Sell Item window.
* Player can now press ENTER to confirm the delete mail action when the popup is up.
* The unread mail icon now is cleared when all mail is read.
* Search results are no longer cleared if the player's search fails.
* Buyer/seller name is not shown to other players who have bought something from the tradepost, and the reply button on that message is disabled.
* The Buy button is disabled for your own item.
* You can no longer move the tradepost ui fully offscreen.
* Fixed an issue where it was not possible to use up/down arrows after deleting cash in a mail.
* Compose Mail is now the top window when clicking the compose window button.
* Clicking on an unread mail will now highlight it.
* Take all attachments now greys out when taking items.
* The sort function for attachments and date are now working.
* Sorting mail now ignores lowercase/uppercase.
* The Expand Size Limit button now greys out and can no longer be used when the player upgrade his/her bank to the maximum size.
* The "To:" field on mail now includes an option to send to a friend or cabal member on your friends list.
* You can now only send 6 attachments on your mail.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 17, 2012, 08:26:58 AM »

The Scorched Desert
* A Shadow Over Egypt - Low­ered the health of the sum­moned mini golems.

Hah - this is one hard quest to do solo so I'm glad its not just me.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: July 17, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »

If the last patch is anything to go by, the patch notes above only partly reflect what we're actually getting. The real patch notes should be out in an hour or two. This patch hits right when I need it the most. I've just started questing in Blue Mountain, and it seems they've put a bit of effort into nerfing that zone.

I have to say, the Savage Coast and Blue Mountain haven't been anywhere near as fun as Kingsmouth Town. In particular, there seems to be a severe lack of anything but kill quests in these zones (the July Issue should improve this by adding more investigation quests). There's the rare sabotage quest, but apart from that these zones have been pretty limited in variety. I've seen only one investigation quest in these two zones so far, which is way too little considering that these kinds of quests separate TSW from other MMOs.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: July 17, 2012, 12:37:49 PM »

The patch is now live. Here are the final patch notes:

Update Notes 1.0.2

MISSIONS

Sharing Side missions should now work even when the character receiving the new mission already has one or two Side missions.
New achievements are available for 500, 1000 and 5000 completed missions.
London
London Underground (Templar): Fixed an issue that would sometimes cause the mission to suddenly pause itself.
Fixed the timing of the audio on Zamira's cinematic.
Into Darkness (Templar) - Co-op Parking Garage: "Investigate the lower levels" now triggers with better timing.
Seoul
Added an extra check towards the mission goals to support instances where the player finds themselves back in the Dojang instead of in Seoul.
The Blue Mountain
The Benevolent Conspiracies
Pausing the mission during Tier 2 should no longer prevent the players from completing the mission. Furthermore, the items used during the mission can still be picked up during the Tier they are used in by grabbing them from the correct soldier corpse.
Pausing the mission will no longer remove the Checkmate beacon from the player's inventory. For those who already lost their Checkmate beacon, on Tier 5 you can pick it up again from the dead soldier's bag.
The Blue Harvester will now drop his loot.
Reduced the spawn rate of Familiars during the final tier of 'The Breakfast Cult.'
Off the Menu: Fixed an issue that would sometimes leave Bloodfang (Tier 3) stuck in his lair.
Further changes have been made through the various camps of Blue Mountain to make sure the mob density is reasonable, that you can run through the camp while avoiding some of the combat and that when you fight mobs it's harder to accidentally pull adds that should not be pulled. The zones addressed were:
Southern Beach
Skull Island Draugs
Mansion's Surroundings
Blue Ridge Mine Entrance
Haunted Forest
Abandoned Building (asylum)
Northern Ak'Ab camp
Western Beach
Orochi Camp Zombies
Pumpkin Patches
The Scorched Desert
A Shadow Over Egypt: The health of the summoned mini golems has been lowered.
City of the Sun God
Warrior Spirit of Hemitneter during "Blood and Fire" should now have more hitpoints and dps.
The mission "Heavy Metals" should now correctly get sorted under "City of the Sun God" for completed missions in the Mission Journal.
Black Sun, Red Sand
Killing the Black Pharaoh and dying at the exact same time now allows players to complete the mission.
Corrected an issue with Akhenaten's Death Awaits ability.
Blood and Fire: Fixed an issue with the Hemitneter's Clasp that would prevent players from restarting the mission during tier 1.
The Dark Places: The filth attacks from the Soul Corruptor should no longer persist after leaving the Ravine of the Champion.
Kingsmouth
The Hunger : Fixed an issue (this time for good) where the Voracious Wendigo could become stuck at 50% health and immune, but kept attacking.
Corpse Clingers now summon a zombie when casting 'Scent of Blood'.
The Savage Coast
The Black House: Carrie Killian's ashes should now respawn correctly.
Carnival of Souls: the item „Winter's Monocle“ received at the end of the mission can now be removed from the inventory.
Theme Park Tycoon
The sound of the Octotron no longer persists after completing tier 2.
Dying during the Angry Clown encounter should no longer make the clown immortal.
Winter's Plans can no longer be deleted from inventory.
The Shadowy Forest
The Architect encounter has been tweaked a bit to make it slightly less difficult.
Tenebrae should no longer be using placeholder abilities.
The Cellar Door: this is again a solo instance, as intended.
The Scorched Desert
High Cost of Dying: Corrupted Water Guardian is now easier to kill.
Nathifa is now less difficult to kill.
Caahs the Soul Spawn now has a spawn animation.
The Big Terrible Picture
Both the flames and crystals puzzles should now reset correctly.
The crystals for Tier 3 can now be interacted with correctly.
Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Tier 2 can now be completed correctly.

DUNGEONS

Nightmare minibosses will again drop epic items. The chance for an epic Glyph kit is unchanged.
All items dropped by minibosses are now Bind on Pickup.
If you log out inside a dungeon, your character will now still be inside that dungeon instance when you log back in.
Polaris (Nightmare):
Ur-Things now disappear before the Ur-Draug's Veil phase is lifted.
The Slaughterhouse
Based on player feedback, various effects throughout the dungeon have been improved.
Fixed an issue with hate on the Aleksei-Chetyre adds.
The Ankh
Melothat's debuffs will end when he dies.
Checkpoints in Hell Raised and Hell Eternal should now function correctly for players joining these dungeons while they are in progress.
Hell Raised - Recursia
Triggerthings have had their hitpoints reduced by 20%. Elite and Nightmare Triggerthings are unchanged.
Phase 3 will now trigger at lower health. Elite and Nightmare modes are unchanged, and will continue to trigger at the previous (higher) values.
It is no longer possible to avoid the Triggerthing spell Biomeltdown by pressing close to the fight entrance.
Recursia should now successfully cast Anima Eruption at any target in the fight, regardless of range.
Hell Raised - Machine Tyrant
The Machine Tyrant should now hit his targets more consistently.
The Anima Vortex for removing the Machine Tyrant's Anima Overcharge should no longer permanently disappear when waiting to begin the encounter.
The Darkness War
The Mayan Battle Mage's loot will now always spawn on the ground.
Fixed an issue where The Bloodhound could replicate himself.

GUI

Gear manager builds can now be updated without having to first delete the previous build.
Need/Greed windows no longer disappear if you resurrect to a point where you should still be allowed to loot the items.
Fixed an issue that caused custom chat tabs to lose subscription to some chat channels on zoning.
Sprint buff indications have been updated so you can now see which sprint upgrade you are using.

LORE

Lore piece 5 in Agartha has been made easier to find and access.
'And Did Those Feed in Ancient Time' no longer unlocks when completing only 'Chariots of Fire'.

CRAFTING

Nightwatch Glyph crafting kits are now Bind on Pickup.

COMBAT

'Volatile Current' should no longer randomly stop working.
Casting 'Crimson Theatre' should no longer break the Ascendant encounter (Hell 2) and the Halina encounter (The Facility).

NPCS

Cassandra King now looks younger and more attractive!
Villagers around Transylvania will reply more responsively to clicks for random chat phrases.

CLOTHING/ITEMS

Claimed clothing will now show the same name in the Dressing Room as in the Item shop.
A correct grey variant of 'Patterned Cargo Pants' is now available.
The 'Male Dawn Leathers' clothing item will now correctly appear in the players Dressing Room instead of the inventory.
The Warrior deck outfit is no longer causing characters to look bald.
'Cutoff harness' clothing will no longer cause invisible arms if worn with a 'Sports bra'.
'Purple Quickened Anima' can now be bought at Rank 8 as intended.
Fixed an issue where certain items could not be bought at faction vendors when levelling up several faction ranks at once.
Hair should no longer clip through baseball caps and other headwear.

BANK/MAIL

Fixed error on dragging items between different pages in the bank.
You can no longer walk away from the bankers while the delete confirmation window is onscreen.
The right click menu on bank now has a subtle background.
Pressing ESC now closes the delete mail dialog.
When deleting an item from the cabal bank, the dialog message now correctly references the cabal bank instead of the inventory.
You can now press ENTER to confirm the delete mail action when the window is up.
The unread mail icon now is cleared when all mail is read.
Fixed an issue where it was not possible to use up/down arrows after deleting cash in a mail.
Compose Mail is now the top window when clicking the compose window button.
Clicking on an unread mail will now highlight it.
The 'Take all attachments' button now greys out when taking items.
The sort function for attachments and dates are now working.
Sorting mail now ignores lowercase/uppercase.
The Expand Size Limit button now greys out and can no longer be used when you upgrade your bank to the maximum size.
The "To:" field on mail now includes an option to send to a friend or cabal member on your friends list.
You can now only send 6 attachments on your mail.
The "to" field is now limited to 40 characters.
The message when trying to send a character bound item by mail has been clarified. It will now say „Item can't be sent by mail. It must be in your storage and cannot be bound to your character.“
You are now presented with a sound along with a "you've got mail" message. The sound and message are displayed once per received mail.
The mail notification icon now quickly blinks 5 times when new mail is received.
You will now receive a message explaining to wait if you try to send several messages in a too short amount of time.

SOUND

Some missing German audio files have been added.
Some missing sounds have been added to Transylvania
Some missing sounds have been added to the laboratory location in Amity House

GENERAL

The speed and animation for walking backwards has been slightly increased.
Fixed an issue where some anima wells in dungeons were not being discovered properly.
User preferences/settings should now be saved correctly and remain, also when connecting to the game from different computers.
Fixed an issue where auto run was being interrupted randomly.
Fixed an issue where your screen would become dark after resurrecting in The Blue Mountain.
Fix some collision issues in Fusang.
The Secret World now has new desktop icons.
Character nicknames can no longer end with a '-'.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 19, 2012, 04:10:37 PM »

I've learned over the past couple of days that quests in Blue Mountain that are labled Hard, are definitely hard.  There is an easier progression through Blue Mountain that I kind of figured out after the fact.  I went to some really tough areas too early.  The mansion is the place to be early in that zone.  Really cool storyline which leads to the mine.   

I'm just now at the point where I'm unlocking my first 50AP skills, and I'm feeling like I can actually start building some good synergy with skills and passives.  I've been working towards the Bounty Hunter deck (shotgun/pistol), and finally I've been able to setup the active and passives to do what the deck intends.  Everything gets hindered and weakened, with +penetration and +crit chance reactives running all the time.  I still don't have some of the cooler actives in the deck, but it's starting to come together. 

Lots of enemies in Blue Mountain can leech health, so if you have any actives or passives that weaken that, maybe consider adding them.  I ran into some enemies that were hitting me with ranged attacks for over 200+ damage per hit, over and over...those were tough.  That's the hardest I've been hit by non boss type creatures, and they can do it quickly.  No dodging those attacks either.  And they look just like the hundereds of other bugs you killed in Savage Coast.  I had to go with a health/tank gear loadout to make it through that part.   

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: July 19, 2012, 08:47:33 PM »

The inclusion of Blue Mountain into this game was a bad idea. Kingsmouth rocked and had me enjoying myself the entire time. The Savage Coast was OK-ish. It had its moments, but I was starting to see the MMO through the seams. The Blue Mountain was horrible, and this was the point where the game started to feel like a typical MMO: Kill quest after kill quest after kill quest in areas where the mobs are standing at even distances from each other across the landscape for no apparent reason. The enemies there are the most annoying ones I've seen in the game too. If I never see another spectre, wendigo or Ak'ab again, it'll still be too soon. At this point I was getting a bit worried.

Then I got to Egypt and the old magic came straight back. Now I'm having plenty of fun again and can barely make myself step away from the game. It's like Blue Mountain was the first zone they made in the game, and Kingsmouth was the last. It actually wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. Blue Mountain feels clumsy, while Kingsmouth feels fresh and innovative.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 26, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »

Nobody likes this game, I guess?  I started playing recently and really love it.  The subject matter of the game is right up my alley and I find that even the "go kill that stuff" quests are more interesting than a typical MMO.  I'm in Savage Coast and even though there are less Investigation missions (my favorite type), I've still been enjoying the area.  I guess Blue Mountain is where things go bad, but we will see.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: July 26, 2012, 07:40:35 PM »

it's great, more love on qt3 forums tbh

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 26, 2012, 08:26:30 PM »

I'm also in and playing almost every day.  Lots of people but I picked Leviathan which seems to be Dragon/Illuminati centered and of course I'm Templar.  Lots of fun but still not past Solomon Island yet.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: July 26, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 26, 2012, 07:22:02 PM

Nobody likes this game, I guess?  I started playing recently and really love it.  The subject matter of the game is right up my alley and I find that even the "go kill that stuff" quests are more interesting than a typical MMO.  I'm in Savage Coast and even though there are less Investigation missions (my favorite type), I've still been enjoying the area.  I guess Blue Mountain is where things go bad, but we will see.

You can quickly skip to Egypt if Blue Mountain annoys you, then come back once you're a little bit more experienced. Not that you really get all that more powerful in this game, but every little bit helps.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 26, 2012, 10:53:28 PM »

Quote from: ericb on July 26, 2012, 08:26:30 PM

I'm also in and playing almost every day.  Lots of people but I picked Leviathan which seems to be Dragon/Illuminati centered and of course I'm Templar.  Lots of fun but still not past Solomon Island yet.

That's the server I am on, but went Illuminati.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 27, 2012, 01:04:07 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 26, 2012, 07:22:02 PM

I just finished Blue Mountain.  I didn't like it as much as the previous 2 zones, but it wasn't horrible.  The bog is nasty, but there are some other areas that are interesting, like the mansion.  Just some friendly advice, don't hang out on the bridge.  Run!

I'm still very much enjoying the game.  Good atmoshpere and setting.  I'm looking forward to heading to Egypt tonight.  I've heard good things about that zone. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 28, 2012, 01:32:48 PM »

sweet, free weekend next weekend.

We want to share the joy with as many people as possible! Any player, who has any type of The Secret World account, may join us over the weekend to celebrate our first month! Early Access, Inactive Accounts, and Beta Accounts may all join in! If you do not currently have an account for The Secret World, you may register to participate starting today, Friday, July 27th, to have open access to this special celebration weekend! You can find the celebration event registration on the right side of the official website! You may download the game here.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: July 28, 2012, 03:42:18 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 26, 2012, 10:53:28 PM

Quote from: ericb on July 26, 2012, 08:26:30 PM

That's the server I am on, but went Illuminati.

Luckily, server choice has little impact in this game. You can play and chat with any other player, regardless of server. If you group up, one of you will simply be asked if he wants to jump to the other player's dimension (ie. server), where he'll stay until he joins someone else or logs off. When he logs back in, he'll be back on his own server again.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: July 31, 2012, 07:19:38 AM »

It's patch day again, and this time we're getting the first real patch in the form of Issue #1: Unleashed.

It features a bunch of new investigation missions on Solomon Island (much needed, IMO) as well as one or two in Egypt and Transylvania. There's also the introduction of the Marketplace (ie. auction house) and two dungeons that have been upgraded to have a Nightmare mode for end-game play. There's supposedly a lot more to the patch as well, but I haven't seen any patch notes yet.

Looking forward to seeing this update in action. I might not log in tonight, but I'll give it a look sometime this week at least. smile
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 31, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »

I've been doing quests in Egypt the last couple of nights.  So far so good.  Some of the quest NPCs are great.  

I got the phone call for my Rank 7 Illuminati faction mission while in Egypt.  Man, that mission was a pain in the ass...with a real tough encounter in the end.  I did it, but I read that many players put that faction mission on hold until later.  

I've been happy with my developing shotgun/pistol build.  It worked pretty well in Blue Mountain, and it's working really well in Egypt.  Everything I shoot is weakened with a damage debuff.  Almost everything I fight is hindered, which leads to a good amount of penetration attacks.  If I'm fighting something that heals, I swap in the passive Bad Break (Pistol) that will debuff healing.  I mostly use the shotgun, with 1 single target pistol consumer, and an elite pistol aoe hinder to proc penetration attacks.  Once I get the passive Body Piercing (Shotgun) I'll include that.    

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Lorcane

I miss the passive Hit & Run (Shotgun), but I'm trying to work towards a build that has survivability and damage.  In order to do that, I had to drop some damage passives to make room for the weakness damage debuffs.  Most enemies are quickly debuffed to -30% damage, so I haven't felt the pain of not having any direct healing.  Some of the poison conditions in Blue Mountain sucked, but Pistol has some good condition removal actives and passives that I can use if needed.  When I'm fighting enemies that are immune to hinder, I won't get the hinder exploits, but I do still benefit from all of the weakness debuffs.  

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:56:12 PM by Roguetad » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: July 31, 2012, 05:44:21 PM »

Since you're sharing your character, here's mine. I guess he speaks for himself. smile

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Al-Hazred
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: July 31, 2012, 06:24:26 PM »

My character - a combination of Sword (damage) and Fist (healing) that goes very well with my duoing teammate (all damage). I run about 50% DPS and 50% Healing items as well.

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Razira

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 31, 2012, 07:36:41 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 31, 2012, 05:44:21 PM

Since you're sharing your character, here's mine. I guess he speaks for himself. smile

That looks like a nice balance between damage (+afflictions and penetration) with some good self healing.  I bet you rarely have to use health potions.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: July 31, 2012, 07:50:22 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on July 31, 2012, 07:36:41 PM

Quote from: TiLT on July 31, 2012, 05:44:21 PM

That looks like a nice balance between damage (+afflictions and penetration) with some good self healing.  I bet you rarely have to use health potions.

Yeah, I had a dramatic increase in efficiency once I assembled this build (the whole build! I tried without the two passives from Fists initially, and it was much, much less effective). It's not my build though. It's the so-called Blue Mountain Special, built so that you can get to it using just 400 ability points. I'm even able to take down some of the tougher enemies during sabotage missions with this build, but only barely.

You can find this build and others here.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 31, 2012, 07:52:41 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 31, 2012, 06:24:26 PM

My character - a combination of Sword (damage) and Fist (healing) that goes very well with my duoing teammate (all damage). I run about 50% DPS and 50% Healing items as well.

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Razira
I like how in this game you can build your deck with another player's deck in mind too.  You could have active abilities that exploit conditions that your partner sets.  As a mostly solo player I have to build my deck to work off itself, but being able to build with another player's deck would open up a lot of possibilities.  
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 31, 2012, 08:52:27 PM »

This is mine:  http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/TheGrue

I went with blood magic/assault rifles.  This build is my soloing build for when I have to do some damage.  My healer build for doing instances is vastly different.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: July 31, 2012, 09:00:01 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 31, 2012, 08:52:27 PM

This is mine:  http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/TheGrue

I went with blood magic/assault rifles.  This build is my soloing build for when I have to do some damage.  My healer build for doing instances is vastly different.

I'm considering going for Blood Magic/Assault Rifles for my secondary build for dungeons. The idea is to be a tank, something that just AR/Blade doesn't seem to do very well.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 31, 2012, 09:02:46 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 31, 2012, 09:00:01 PM

Quote from: The Grue on July 31, 2012, 08:52:27 PM

This is mine:  http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/TheGrue

I went with blood magic/assault rifles.  This build is my soloing build for when I have to do some damage.  My healer build for doing instances is vastly different.

I'm considering going for Blood Magic/Assault Rifles for my secondary build for dungeons. The idea is to be a tank, something that just AR/Blade doesn't seem to do very well.

I never thought of BM/AR as a tank build...huh.  I've had good success with it in the healer role, just because I do healing to the tank from leech abilities and then have blood magic for direct heals and barriers.  I'd have to think hard about what a BM/AR tank might look like.  I guess all the heals and barriers would go to yourself and not to others.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: August 01, 2012, 06:58:30 AM »

IMHO, Blood needs some help in the healing department, mainly because the shields don't stack on top of themselves. And there's some issue of smaller shields not overwriting larger shields or something of the sort.

Fist doesn't have that issue - all HoT heals stack with other HoT heals (as long as they're not the same power). For my character, I have two healing powers that fire off a HoT, as well as a passive that plays off of one of the heals to give another HoT. Oh, and when I Penetrate I get yet another HoT. All 4 of them can be running at once on the same target.

Blood? One shield, and that's it.

All I know is that in my duo, I used to be Sword/Blood. When I switched to Sword/Fist, my healing ability skyrocketed upwards.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 28, 2012, 05:37:16 AM »

Issue 2 delayed.  why?

As you may know, this week has been a challenging one for everyone at Funcom. We initiated a process of reducing costs after the launch of The Secret World and this has naturally affected the production schedule as we work on readjusting the team and our internal development processes. As such, we have had to give ourselves a little more time to wrap up Issue #2 and the new release date for this update is September 11th, 2012.

guess they fired too many people?

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 28, 2012, 04:54:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 28, 2012, 05:37:16 AM

Issue 2 delayed.  why?

As you may know, this week has been a challenging one for everyone at Funcom. We initiated a process of reducing costs after the launch of The Secret World and this has naturally affected the production schedule as we work on readjusting the team and our internal development processes. As such, we have had to give ourselves a little more time to wrap up Issue #2 and the new release date for this update is September 11th, 2012.

guess they fired too many people?
They are busy playing Guild Wars 2.         
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 08, 2012, 06:18:21 PM »

Death spiral update...

Life after layoffs: the former lead designer of Secret World looks back on the game’s struggles
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/life-after-layoffs-the-former-lead-designer-of-secret-world-looks-back-on-t
Now, just over three months out from release, the game has sold just over 200,000 copies, Funcom has “temporarily” laid off half its workforce, and the company has dropped financial expectations of The Secret World over a 12-month period by $35 million.

Then there’s Bruusgaard, who came to Funcom immediately after receiving his Master’s and had been with Funcom for seven years. He was with The Secret World from the beginning, contributing to the ability wheel, dungeon design, user interface, and inventory system, among other design aspects. It’s an unfortunate tale for a game that tried to be different, and to hear Bruusgaard tell it reveals some of the saddest truths of the gaming industry.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 11, 2012, 03:17:53 PM »

I don't think it had anything to do with the lack of marketing.  I saw a lot of Secret World advertising leading up to the game.  Most of us recognized that it was a niche mmo, I don't think they correctly set their own financial expectations based on that.  I can't believe this didn't come out during that discussion, but the Secret World had the unlucky timing of launching during a time when most players aren't willing to pay a monthly sub anymore.  The Secret World may be one of the last mmorpgs to try and launch with a traditional mmo pricing model. 

I would argue that they should have anticipated the reluctance of gamers to pay monthly fees (beyond the WoW base), and designed the game with a FTP/expansion model right from the start.  Same goes for The Old Republic.  I enjoyed the unique setting of the Secret World, but I'm not willing to pay $15 a month for it.  That has nothing to do with most of the reasons that he mentioned in the interview.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: October 12, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 11, 2012, 03:17:53 PM

I don't think it had anything to do with the lack of marketing.  I saw a lot of Secret World advertising leading up to the game.  Most of us recognized that it was a niche mmo, I don't think they correctly set their own financial expectations based on that.  I can't believe this didn't come out during that discussion, but the Secret World had the unlucky timing of launching during a time when most players aren't willing to pay a monthly sub anymore.  The Secret World may be one of the last mmorpgs to try and launch with a traditional mmo pricing model. 

I would argue that they should have anticipated the reluctance of gamers to pay monthly fees (beyond the WoW base), and designed the game with a FTP/expansion model right from the start.  Same goes for The Old Republic.  I enjoyed the unique setting of the Secret World, but I'm not willing to pay $15 a month for it.  That has nothing to do with most of the reasons that he mentioned in the interview.

This is a problem with Norway's attitude towards games, sadly. You've got to realize that over here we're pretty spoiled when it comes to investments. Most investors base their expectations on what they've seen in their oil and property investments, which isn't at all realistic when it comes to games. There's very little flexibility when it comes to business models. To get an investor for your project here, you have to present it so that it looks like a better deal than property, oil, fish export, or whatever. This leads to skewed expectations. It's only recently that Norwegian investors even started to realize that games can be delayed. Just look at the release of Age of Conan. When that was delayed, the investors were absolutely flabbergasted. They couldn't understand that this was possible and saw it as a monumental failure with Funcom when anyone with some knowledge about the gaming industry knows that delays are very common, almost expected.

My theory, based on my own experiences running a game development company in Norway, is that Funcom deliberately exaggerated their expectations because the alternative would be to not make the game in the first place. But because the investors were both asking for and received such unrealistic expectations, and more importantly, actually shared these with the media, they were building up to their own inevitable failure. Funcom probably hoped that they might reach the goal, but I suspect that they never expected it to actually happen.

It's a shitty situation, and strongly related to the reasons why there are so many good game developers in both Sweden and Denmark, but almost nobody of consequence in Norway.

You remember Innerloop, the company that made the Project I.G.I. games? That was the second biggest game company Norway has ever had. From what I've been told, their end came when the CEO thought "fuck this" and went into property investments himself. It was the only thing that made sense in the market at the time, as serious game development was doomed to failure.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 07, 2012, 05:20:42 AM »

just picked this up for $5.25 from Green Man Gaming; is there any life still in this?

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: