http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 04:23:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] The Secret World MMORPG : No Longer Pumped, Just Playing it.  (Read 24214 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 03, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »

Anyone in here?

Anyways - in case someone was wondering since there is ZERO Talk about this game here, its a great game. I knew a few GT'ers play but post about it on another board.

Basically, the launch was perfect, no server downs, no lag, no nothing really - all went smooth. The game itself is awesome.The only bad thing to be said about it so far, is the lack of group content so far outside of dungeons. I don't mind, but I know Hark wasnt that fond of it.

So, if you enjoy MMORPGS where you can most content alone or in groups if you so choose, with tons of atmosphere and character, set in the mdoern world for once, this game is for you. Brilliant writing and the voiceovers are superb, far better than SWTOR I'm afraid to say.
The Illuminati chick boss lady is someone everyone should hear!

A new one
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: July 03, 2012, 12:03:34 PM »

I am on Arcadia as The Illuminati.

It seems good but it's a shame you can't cross faction cabal up which means a 3 way split of the player base however you can cross dimensions so different servers can cabal up as long as you are in the Same faction.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 03, 2012, 02:40:27 PM »

Is a cabal like a guild?

How's the combat?  It seemed like people weren't really happy with it towards the end of the beta. 
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: July 03, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »

The combat is ok but it's not really the focus of the game the investigations and adventures are and they are excellent.

Dimension = Server
Cabal = Guild

3 factions

The Dragons
The Templars
The Illuminati

You can belong to cabal on any dimension as long as its the same faction. problem is it's a 3 way split rather than the normal 2.

RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 03, 2012, 04:26:47 PM »

You can however team up with anyone regardless of faction. Have a friend who is a Templar and you're a Dragon...no problem. You just can't be in the same cabal (guild).

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 03, 2012, 08:09:38 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on July 03, 2012, 12:03:34 PM

It seems good but it's a shame you can't cross faction cabal up which means a 3 way split of the player base however you can cross dimensions so different servers can cabal up as long as you are in the Same faction.

Under what name? I'm a templar but we could still do dungeons once in a while. Just don't comment on my nice templar jacket slywink

edit: I'm a twat - forgot to add my own name...I'm Reinhart

A new one
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: July 03, 2012, 08:39:56 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 03, 2012, 08:09:38 PM

Quote from: Reemul on July 03, 2012, 12:03:34 PM

Under what name? I'm a templar but we could still do dungeons once in a while. Just don't comment on my nice templar jacket slywink

edit: I'm a twat - forgot to add my own name...I'm Reinhart

Reemul i know i know different than normal.........................not  icon_lol

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: July 06, 2012, 05:03:03 AM »

Joining Arcadia.  I'll figure out names and such as I go....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 06, 2012, 04:45:09 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 06, 2012, 05:03:03 AM

Sweet! I haven't played very much yet. My plan is mostly to let the initial rush go by and play at my own pace. Plus, hopefully they will get a few of the quest bugs ironed out (supposed to be a fix for Something Wicked on the test server soon, which I am currently in the middle of).

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 06, 2012, 05:26:37 PM »

Got a thumbs-up from Penny Arcade Report:

What if every myth was true? The Secret World combines alternate reality with satisfying gameplay
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/what-if-every-myth-were-true-the-secret-world-combines-alternate-reality-wi

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 06, 2012, 05:42:48 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 06, 2012, 05:03:03 AM

yay! See ya in game in a week :-)

A new one
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 06, 2012, 06:14:53 PM »

How much is Facebook tied into the game.  I remember receiving email spam about the FB integration

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: July 06, 2012, 07:42:04 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 06, 2012, 06:14:53 PM

How much is Facebook tied into the game.  I remember receiving email spam about the FB integration

Not at all, you can link it to facebook like many other games if you want

Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 06, 2012, 11:09:27 PM »

On Arcadia with my Templar Allanna, already in a Cabal with some buddies who played Anarchy Online back in the day. I'm just entering Blue Mountain in the story chain, but I've been back in Savage Coast clearing some missions I'd missed, and tracking down lore. (Lore#8 for League of Monster Slayers took a looong time to find).

Happy to group up and run or re-run some of the missions. I have Dragon and Illuminati alts that are still only starting out Kingsmouth.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 07, 2012, 01:05:43 AM »

dangit, I was going to hold off but I can get my hands on this for 32 bucks, and that's really tempting.  I saw KD post about some crashing in another thread; is anyone else having issues?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 07, 2012, 01:19:41 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 07, 2012, 01:05:43 AM

dangit, I was going to hold off but I can get my hands on this for 32 bucks, and that's really tempting.  I saw KD post about some crashing in another thread; is anyone else having issues?

Is this a CK only sale or is it actually available online somewhere at this price?  Best I've been able to find is Green Man for $37.50.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:21:35 AM by ericb » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 07, 2012, 01:27:29 AM »

Quote from: ericb on July 07, 2012, 01:19:41 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 07, 2012, 01:05:43 AM

dangit, I was going to hold off but I can get my hands on this for 32 bucks, and that's really tempting.  I saw KD post about some crashing in another thread; is anyone else having issues?

Is this a CK only sale or is it actually available online somewhere at this price?

I posted about the code in Steals & Deals: Green Man Gaming has it for $49.99, but they also have a 25% off code for anything they sell (25OFF-ALLTH-EGAME) which brings it down to $37.50.  that's the closest I can get you to the 32 bucks I mentioned.  the rest is credit I got from trading in a free game they gave out.

(I see you found it biggrin)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 07, 2012, 01:56:08 AM »

Are there buddy keys for this game so that someone who is maybe interested in checking this out might be able to try it without paying any money.  I'm very curious about this game because of the setting.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 07, 2012, 05:42:51 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 07, 2012, 01:56:08 AM

Are there buddy keys for this game so that someone who is maybe interested in checking this out might be able to try it without paying any money.  I'm very curious about this game because of the setting.

Edit: Turns out all active players have one buddy key to send. Only allows 24 hours of access, but if you want it, PM your email and I'll have it sent. It goes directly from Funcom so I need to provide them an email.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:31:00 PM by Barrakketh » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: July 08, 2012, 07:33:38 PM »

Ok....I've tried.  I've gone up levels, I've earned skills, and I still don't get this game.  Content seems to be very strong with this title, but the chat system (which was completely down today), the tacked on / broken crafting system, and the absolutely awful placeholder-looking UI is just making me want to quit.  Am I missing something?  This game looks about 4 months from release if not more in my estimation.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 08, 2012, 08:15:19 PM »

I quit the game for many of tbe same reasons but I also quit because of the boring combat. I started to dread having to fight enemies and at that point I closed my account. Funcom just doesnt make fun games imo.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 09, 2012, 12:58:30 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 08, 2012, 07:33:38 PM

Ok....I've tried.  I've gone up levels, I've earned skills, and I still don't get this game.  Content seems to be very strong with this title, but the chat system (which was completely down today), the tacked on / broken crafting system, and the absolutely awful placeholder-looking UI is just making me want to quit.  Am I missing something?  This game looks about 4 months from release if not more in my estimation.

I filled out one of the closed beta survey's where they asked about my opinions of the game, if I'd purchase on release, and if I'd recommend it. I essentially said "this game is made by funcom, no way am I giving you guys any money for it until its been out quite a long time, if then".

edit, grammar.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:31:39 AM by Wargus » Logged
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 09, 2012, 02:16:30 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 08, 2012, 07:33:38 PM

Ok....I've tried.  I've gone up levels, I've earned skills, and I still don't get this game.  Content seems to be very strong with this title, but the chat system (which was completely down today), the tacked on / broken crafting system, and the absolutely awful placeholder-looking UI is just making me want to quit.  Am I missing something?  This game looks about 4 months from release if not more in my estimation.

Wow that chat thing is really eating people up.  The guys over at QT3 were pretty high on TSW and now it seems like a negativity band wagon.  They could completely remove the chat window and I would be good with it.  I haven't talked much but when I have it has worked fine.  Other than that I think TSW has been a pretty rock solid MMO launch.  No problems on my end except for one bugged quest last night.  I also don't think the UI is unfinished.  It's certainly different and a little small at times but I think thats their minimalistic approach.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 09, 2012, 03:18:54 AM »

No kidding, the game has been out less than a week officially, and a few days ago, people were going on about how smooth the launch had been. Seems like they are fixing quest bugs at a good clip, but they have to get chat fixed. I know it is annoying, but I've never had problems logging in for more than a moment, no crashes, no lag, etc.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: July 09, 2012, 01:50:15 PM »

I made a short video which shows the first main mission (not story mission) for the Illuminati in this game. It illustrates how even a "standard" MMO quest becomes different in The Secret World.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 09, 2012, 05:27:24 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 09, 2012, 01:50:15 PM

I made a short video which shows the first main mission (not story mission) for the Illuminati in this game. It illustrates how even a "standard" MMO quest becomes different in The Secret World.

I've only played about an hour or two of the game, and I absolutely love the setting.  The opening content was very well done, but I have to say that, just like SWTOR, thus far I haven't seen something compelling that demands this game be a MMO.  Most everything played out in a very personal, single-player-game-ish way, and that was great.  When I finally got to the point where there were a number of other people, it was almost distracting and awkward.  One guy did help me with a quest as we walked along doing the same content, but that was about the extent of my interaction with anyone.  It seems like there is definite potential for people to need to band together?
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 09, 2012, 06:18:03 PM »

Here's a review that sums up why some will like and other will dislike this game.

http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/2012/07/the-secret-world/

I agree with the review and really enjoy the game.

That said...I'm a Dragon on Grim (though from what I can tell it doesn't matter what dimension) looking for a cabal. My character is named Shoshin and is a fist/blood healer (still working on learning how to heal others efficiently...have no problem keeping me alive).

RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 10, 2012, 03:52:12 PM »

New Funcom sponsored TSW site allows you to see your characters and their stats out of game.

chronicle.thesecretworld.com/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 06:07:58 PM by RobbieD » Logged

vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 10, 2012, 05:49:59 PM »

state of the game announced

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=42532

Hi all,

Welcome to the inaugural The Secret World State of the Game update!

(Right, so that's a mouthful. In the future, I think I'll shorten it to TSWSotG, because that's a LOT easier to remember.)

We've had an exciting first week, and we're thrilled to see that everything has gone incredibly smooth so far. There have been some bugs and issues, of course, and we're fixing those as quickly as we can, but things are really stable and our players -- you guys! -- are very, very happy with the game. And that makes us very happy, too!

Now that players are progressing further and further into the game, uncovering all those things we've managed to keep secret for years and years, we're starting to see a lot of questions about what's next. What does the future hold for The Secret World, for our players and subscribers?

Well, I'm finally allowed to reveal a FEW of the things we're working on, and I'm really excited to be talking about what's ahead for The Secret World.

We're going to be releasing fresh and tasty new content FREE to our subscribers on a regular, monthly basis. The first update is due on Tuesday, July 31st, and we will be releasing more details about that particular update later this week -- including a couple of fun surprises. (You're going to love it.)

So what will these updates contain? I'm glad you asked! I won't spoil too much, but here's an overview of some of the things we have in the pipelines:

* Mission packs on a monthly basis! The first few packs will contain new investigations for every adventure zone in the game -- but we also have more action and sabotage missions planned for the near future. These missions will feature fully voiced cut-scenes and new media pop-ups, and will match the quality of the missions currently in the game. Oh, and like everything else in our monthly updates, these packs are FREE for our subscribers!

* New weapons! We will be announcing our first auxiliary weapon soon (one clue: bigger, slower, more explosions) and new auxiliary weapons will be released on a regular basis. Combat in The Secret World will continue to evolve, and it will pay to expand your character in multiple directions!

* Raids! We're well into production on our first raid, and there will be more information about that in August! But as a teaser: The Big Apple will never be the same

* We've already announced our plans for expanding and improving character customisation: The Modern Prometheus and Ockham's Razor are opening in New York and London respectively in August, Execution later this year in Seoul. Pangaea in London will receive new stock, and we will add more accessories and clothing as rewards for both achievements and missions

* Chronicle has entered public beta, and we'll keep enhancing and growing that service according to player needs and wishes! Our intent is for Chronicle to become a living, breathing community in itself, and a place where players will go to measure and compare themselves against others, to check out the profiles of their co-players and rivals, and -- in the long run -- to become a living chronicle (zing!) of their player characters

* We have a player-versus-player dungeon in the early stages of planning -- in a brand new geographical area. More on this later this year!

* And speaking of dungeons, we're also working on a dungeon finder tool, allowing players to more easily put together a team to handle the instanced content

* Seasonal events won't go unnoticed in the secret world, and both Halloween and the Winter Solstice are important milestones for those who dabble (and dive deep into) the occult. Expect plenty of content to tie into both events -- including new missions, new characters, new monsters and some twists and turns that will keep players on their toes

* We're in production on two large, new and incredibly exciting adventure zones -- both of which will be announced in August. New geographical regions, new characters, new missions, new drops, new challenges, new monsters, new lore that will carry the story past its first act and into its thrilling and shocking second act!

* Improved cabal functionality is on the drawing board and will be seeing improvements later this year

* And we're not forgetting about our social players! We have some cool functionality tied to the Albion in London coming up very soon, allowing role-players and would-be thespians to spread their wings

* Pets will be updated and upgraded as we go along! More pets, better pets, and some cool surprises in store for pet owners!

* And last but certainly not least: Combat will receive constant polish and tweaks to make things look and feel better. Keep an eye out for more revisions to our effects and animations this autumn -- and the inclusion of auxiliary weapons will make combat even more exciting!

This isn't all. In fact, it's just the beginning, so stay tuned! The Secret World will keep growing, and there will always be a reason to go back to your favourite places, to dig deeper into the mysteries of Solomon Island, Egypt, Transylvania, New York, London and Seoul...and beyond.

So stick around, folks -- there's tons more to come, both this week and in the very near future. Thanks for reading, and have fun playing the game!

Ragnar Tornquist
Senior Producer & Creative Director,
The Secret World
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 10, 2012, 08:56:05 PM »

Lots of bug fixes in the patch today. I was finally ble to finish Something Wicked.

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 11, 2012, 09:06:28 PM »

Any buddy or trial keys out for this yet?  I wasn't impressed with combat or the animation in the open beta but I've heard it's been greatly improved since then.  Wouldn't mind trying it out.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: July 11, 2012, 10:32:11 PM »

Quote from: ericb on July 11, 2012, 09:06:28 PM

Any buddy or trial keys out for this yet?  I wasn't impressed with combat or the animation in the open beta but I've heard it's been greatly improved since then.  Wouldn't mind trying it out.

There should be a buddy key with each copy of the game. My Youtube video above should demonstrate how the combat looks right now if you're impatient. smile
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 13, 2012, 12:33:13 AM »

While thq skill system will appeal to people that like to min-max and come up with builds that synergize, I still don't think the combat is the main draw here by any means. TSW is much more about the mood, atmosphere, and story. But yes, it has improved.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: July 13, 2012, 09:09:01 AM »

Do we have an Illuminati cabal on this board?
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: July 13, 2012, 09:56:28 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 13, 2012, 09:09:01 AM

Do we have an Illuminati cabal on this board?

Nope, I'm Illuminati and yet to find a cabal via OO, gt or qt3 or in game that seemed reasonable but I am on the look out.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 13, 2012, 06:24:44 PM »

This is a pretty cool game.  I've been playing an Illuminati agent who carries a shotgun and 2 handguns to carry out the directives of his handler back in NY.  I've been working him towards the Bounty Hunter deck, mostly to unlock that costume, but I also like the shotgun/pistol playstyle.  I'll probably switch to assault rifle and shotgun at some point.

The dialogue is actually very good most of the time, which really surprised me.  Some of the villian dialogue is really well written and voiced.  I'm only through Blue Mountain, but so far the dialogue is already much better than SWTOR.  Kind of like comparing a good movie to an ok tv sitcom.  It could be I just appreciate more what they're trying with the narratives in TSW.  They seem better written, more clever.    

While the game can definitely be played solo, it's a lot of fun with other players.  It actually feels more like a coop game than a mmorpg, if that makes any sense.  It feels like a coop action/adventure game.  There is some content that is very tough solo, and a lot more fun even with just 1 other player.

The atmoshpere has been excellent, the written lore has been good too.  I've been happily surprised by how interesting and fun the game is.  It's unlike any other mmo out there.

Character name: Lorcane

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: July 13, 2012, 06:40:57 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on July 13, 2012, 06:24:44 PM

The dialogue is actually very good most of the time, which really surprised me.  Some of the villian dialogue is really well written and voiced.  I'm only through Blue Mountain, but so far the dialogue is already much better than SWTOR.  Kind of like comparing a good movie to an ok tv sitcom.  It could be I just appreciate more what they're trying with the narratives in TSW.  They seem better written, more clever.    

The problem with the dialogue is that it's overly verbose, and that nobody talks the way people do in this game. Not once have I come across dialogue that has sounded even remotely realistic, well acted though it may be. Every single sentence anyone says sounds like it's been written down, rehearsed, re-written and rehearsed again for weeks. It also doesn't help that you don't ever talk yourself. It's like dialogue from Buffy, except with much more cheese and much less humor, which essentially takes it from great to bad in a heartbeat.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 13, 2012, 07:32:05 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 13, 2012, 06:40:57 PM

The problem with the dialogue is that it's overly verbose, and that nobody talks the way people do in this game. Not once have I come across dialogue that has sounded even remotely realistic, well acted though it may be. Every single sentence anyone says sounds like it's been written down, rehearsed, re-written and rehearsed again for weeks. It also doesn't help that you don't ever talk yourself. It's like dialogue from Buffy, except with much more cheese and much less humor, which essentially takes it from great to bad in a heartbeat.
That's so funny, I was going to compare it to Buffy too, but in a good way.  All the reasons you mentioned are why I think I like the dialogue. icon_smile

You didn't laugh, or at least smile with the "F**king bees will just carry you away" conversation?  That was pretty funny.  Or the villian saying, it's not my style to make long speeches...followed by a long speech. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:35:23 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 13, 2012, 08:48:43 PM »

You mean nobody talks like its the apocalypse in real life? Tongue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: July 13, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »

Quote from: Thry on July 13, 2012, 08:48:43 PM

You mean nobody talks like its the apocalypse in real life? Tongue

Real life. That's what they used to call it. People went about their ordinary lives, doing ordinary things. That was real life. And in their moments of mental escape from that life they dreamed of monsters, magic, superheroes, and the clashing thereof. Yet now people live in a time when monsters are everywhere, magic is a hobby like any other, and superheroes are... ordinary. All the while they dream of a return to normalcy, to the ordinary life they once took for granted. What does that tell us? I can tell you what it doesn't; elucidate on the reasons why I currently converse with you as if I were picked out of a bad Shakespeare fanfic.

The above is more or less how my posts on this forum would have looked if I were an NPC in The Secret World. If you thought the above was cool, please wait while I administer a slap to your face.

I guess with nobody around, all the NPCs can do is to stand there and rehearse their speeches all day long. That's why your character can't get a word in sideways. The NPCs are just so eager to spout their overly poetic and carefully phrased speeches that they forget the player is even there!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: