http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 11:31:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] The Secret World MMORPG : No Longer Pumped, Just Playing it.  (Read 24089 times)
Booner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2012, 06:30:12 PM »

IME: The biggest issue is that the combat is awful and really drags down the parts I could see some potential in. Not to say there aren't other failings that I could complain about, but the combat is just so completely uninspiring that any other complaints (or complements) are moot.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2012, 06:35:45 PM »

Played for about an hour.  Now every time I hit the Play Now button the game crashes.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2012, 06:39:12 PM »

If folks thought SWTOR looked bad, the Secret World is much worse.  If your cut scenes are going to have such pitiful voice acting, terrible lip syncing and really bad graphics...just don't do the cut scenes.

Combat lacks any sort of feedback and feeling of "oomph" for lack of a better term, at least in the early going.  I had to pick up a shotgun to use, the default attack with it has nearly 0 visual impact, I couldn't even tell half the time if it was actually firing, in part because I had no clue if I was even in range of what I was trying to hit.  There was no kick to the gun at all.

I was so bored by the end of the roughly half hour I had played I quit in the middle of a mission because there was nothing giving me any sort of desire to keep going.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2012, 07:00:02 PM »

That's not good.  I'll get to try it myself later tonight.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2012, 07:01:04 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 11, 2012, 06:16:02 PM

So I got a key from Gamespot...what a horrible waste of my bandwidth...after 35 minutes I am ready to uninstall the beta and move on.

huh?

I enjoyed my time with the game quite a lot

Anyways - I've tried the game a bit now, and am unsure whether I'll play more as to not spoil the game for myself, but I can say this so far

I had a ton of fun! Character building is pretty cool and there is a LOT of options. How much of it is just reskinned things doing the same amount of damage at different ranges remains to be seen. I'm also sure that will be tweaked a lot over the coming days.

Character animations arent that impressive, and neither is the texturing of npcs. It has to be said, I had to go to DX9 since I had issues with the DX11 version of the game.
I'm not worried about animations or texturing since I know that will of course be improved upon - I am a bit perplexed why some of the animations were as bad as I saw they were, considering its Funcoms own internal engine they use for Conan as well, and Conans animations and textures were pretty damn nice actually.
I guess its still beta and thats a bit premature to say anything about.

The UI seemed very slick and nice and very modern. It helps that we are so used to fantasy UI's that its nice to see a slick, sparse UI instead.
The one thing I did not like is the inventory which is icons instead of well, graphics representing whats in your inventory, but thats a design choice and I'll learn to live with it.

Well - On to the meat of the game for me at least - Atmosphere!

The game oozes atmosphere and in particular the ambient sounds are extremely impressive and adds a lot to the game. The voice actors were all very good (Except for the intro - what was WRONG with that templar lady? Jamaican scottish?) and I found myself very interested in the Templars and what they were up to.
There are bits of Lore scattered around you can pick up, and a press of "B" bring up the fastest google browser I ever saw. I didn't really try it out but I was quite impressed by the speed of it - Thats for the exploration and digging into the secret world - something that isn't needed, but certainly something I*ll go do.

I traveled to the first combat area for a bit and liked what I saw - combat animations were a bit awkward but then again - day one of first Open Beta means 10 million people doing things at the same time, so still not worried.

Actually, considering its the first day of open beta I'm quite impressed by the stability of the servers actually and I am pleasantly surprised that the game seems to be fun!

I'll be there day one!

A new one
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2012, 07:13:40 PM »

It isn't an excuse, because you have to go by what you see, but Martin publicly acknowledged on the forums on April 19th that there were still many placeholder animations in the game:

"Making animations for over 500 abilities is quite the task, therefore we have to use some placeholder animations on some of the abilities when showing a game still in production. We are working on it, and it will be amazing "
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 07:36:28 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2012, 07:42:20 PM »

im on the fence about this game, I really think I may wait 6 months and take a look at in in the fall, I think some more baking in the oven may be what makes this game needs to make it really fun,complete, and playable.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2012, 08:59:13 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on May 11, 2012, 06:35:45 PM

Played for about an hour.  Now every time I hit the Play Now button the game crashes.

Happening to a decently large chunk of the playerbase based on the forums. Sadly, I'm one of them. I can keep hitting Create Character to start over from scratch again, but...why do that?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2012, 09:39:31 PM »

Running the file checker put me back in windowed mode.  Apparently fullscreen mode was causing my crashes.  So I got back in and opened my inventory window.  Now it won't close!  If I hit "I" a second time the various buttons go away but the grayed out background and grid remain on the screen.  Quitting and restarting did not get rid of it.  Yes, it's beta but it's hard to imagine how this stuff did not get fixed yet.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2012, 09:47:57 PM »

Elmo - The weird stuff you are seeing is most likely due to server lag and not errors.

A new one
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2012, 10:05:32 PM »

Quote from: Elmo on May 11, 2012, 09:39:31 PM

Running the file checker put me back in windowed mode.  Apparently fullscreen mode was causing my crashes.  So I got back in and opened my inventory window.  Now it won't close!  If I hit "I" a second time the various buttons go away but the grayed out background and grid remain on the screen.  Quitting and restarting did not get rid of it.  Yes, it's beta but it's hard to imagine how this stuff did not get fixed yet.

Elmo, sounds like the lock button on your inventory window got clicked by accident. Check the padlock in the corner.

You can use this to make a separate bag for stuff you want quick access to, like potions.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2012, 10:05:25 AM »

there's a lot more potential here than what funcom usually does. i sort of like the quest system. combat is pretty fast. the story is interesting, or at least hopefully will be.

does anyone know how i can move around my skils on the bar? tried every combo of alt, shift or ctrl and to drag them and never saw how to unlock in options.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2012, 10:18:22 AM »

Jersoc, I believe you have to open the skill wheel window and over on the left where you pick the skills there are little squares representing your hotbar slots.  You can click on the square for where you want each skill.

Looks like I did have my inventory window locked somehow.

Honestly, the game was doing nothing for me and I deleted it off my hard drive already.  Glad some of the rest of you are enjoying it.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »

This game is going to be very divisive. Some are going to love it like the air they breathe and others are going to not get it at all.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 12, 2012, 03:38:30 PM

This game is going to be very divisive. Some are going to love it like the air they breathe and others are going to not get it at all.

So you're saying we will either be a super fanboy or a hater?

I'm trying to like it since I think it's a cool setting for a MMO but the combat is like a step backwards from Age of Conan.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2012, 09:43:35 PM »

Nah, I don't know that reactions will be black or white, but I think there will be a group that loves it and a group that can't figure out why.

Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2012, 09:55:44 PM »

Jesus, 24 hours into the first open beta weekend and already the investigation quests are being answered in general world chat - mostly, I suspect, by the same people who couldn't give a rat's ass about solving mysteries and just want to kill things for loot.
dback99
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2012, 03:10:41 PM »

I actually liked this beta enough to pick it up when it ships..the environment was cool and being current world was a nice change...the combat seemed a bit simple, but I had a rifle and only 2 options to shoot one person or shoot many...I'm sure I'm missing stuff but being beta I was looking for how it performed on my laptop and seeing it if was interesting enough to buy...I had fun so is say yes...I am a pretty casual player (3 kids, gametime gets limited) so I may be missing things that turn hardcores off..

Xbox Live tag: dback99

Listening to: volbeat!!

Playing: swtor, skyrim, rocksmith, ootp11
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 13, 2012, 04:28:43 PM »

Really enjoying the game so far. I've progressed as far as the first weekend allows. A few NPCs left with locked quests that I guess will unlock on a later beta weekend. Lot's of people on forums reporting crashes, but I've had none. Infrequent 5-10 second video lockups are the only problem I've encountered, other than getting stuck on terrain twice that required a relog when the /stuck command didn't help. My character is using blades and elementalism so far - lot's of AoE attacks, and I move around a lot to avoid attacks. I like being able to swing and cast while moving. Even AoC required casters to stop to cast.

Right now my biggest beef is character customization is very poor. Maybe 10 hairstyles and 8 outfits per body slot. I know the devs have already jumped in to say there will be many more by launch, but I'd have thought they'd want a better first impression on this aspect. It doesn't help the vendors selling clothes show prices ranging from 30,000 to 1.5 million for pretty basic clothes. Apparently there is a typo that added a couple zeros to the prices.

Will definitely sub for this.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 13, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »

Yeah, I enjoyed the stories and atmosphere a lot as well, and I'm keeping my preorder :-)

The Code quest is pretty damn awesome and EXACTLY what I was looking for in a quest in an MMO of this type - A series of clues I have to dechipher by myself and with the help of google leading me to some very nice stuff - Good job Funcom!

No crashes here so far - The Lightning engine could use some work, or it could be because my drivers are 10 months old (Stupid ACER refuses to update them)

A new one
dback99
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 14, 2012, 12:11:07 AM »

I didn't even try those quests out yet..the "standard" quests alone were fun, but I'm holding off some stuff until launch..people also seemed super helpful as I kept getting myself in jams...I think this will be a fun mmo, and I'm digging the current day world..

Xbox Live tag: dback99

Listening to: volbeat!!

Playing: swtor, skyrim, rocksmith, ootp11
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 14, 2012, 02:28:06 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 11, 2012, 06:39:12 PM

If folks thought SWTOR looked bad, the Secret World is much worse.  If your cut scenes are going to have such pitiful voice acting, terrible lip syncing and really bad graphics...just don't do the cut scenes.

Combat lacks any sort of feedback and feeling of "oomph" for lack of a better term, at least in the early going.  I had to pick up a shotgun to use, the default attack with it has nearly 0 visual impact, I couldn't even tell half the time if it was actually firing, in part because I had no clue if I was even in range of what I was trying to hit.  There was no kick to the gun at all.

I was so bored by the end of the roughly half hour I had played I quit in the middle of a mission because there was nothing giving me any sort of desire to keep going.

That about sums up my feelings as well.

I like the concept, but the execution just didn't do it for me.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2012, 04:46:49 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on May 14, 2012, 02:28:06 PM

If folks thought SWTOR looked bad, the Secret World is much worse.  If your cut scenes are going to have such pitiful voice acting, terrible lip syncing and really bad graphics...just don't do the cut scenes.

Combat lacks any sort of feedback and feeling of "oomph" for lack of a better term, at least in the early going.  I had to pick up a shotgun to use, the default attack with it has nearly 0 visual impact, I couldn't even tell half the time if it was actually firing, in part because I had no clue if I was even in range of what I was trying to hit.  There was no kick to the gun at all.

Yeah I think I'm out too for the same reasons.  One less game to worry about so I can focus on Diablo 3 and Tera until GW2 is out.

People keep saying it's beta and they will fix combat and animation but the reality is that it's coming out very soon.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:47:42 PM by skystride » Logged
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 14, 2012, 04:51:11 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 14, 2012, 04:46:49 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on May 14, 2012, 02:28:06 PM

Yeah I think I'm out too.  One less game to worry about so I can focus on Diablo 3 and Tera until GW2 is out.

+1 to what Skystride said. Im still having a lot of fun with Tera. I just hope the build for Secret World's beta was old and not optimized.  May check out the beta 2 weeks prior to release to see if Funcom can drastically improve on the game in time

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 14, 2012, 05:08:14 PM »

Funcom makes fun games, but it takes them damn near a year after launch to realize it.  Age of Conan is a damned fine game now, but was a crazy mess at launch with half the mechanics not even implemented.

I'm sure that this game will be quite good next summer.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 14, 2012, 05:49:47 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 14, 2012, 05:08:14 PM

I'm sure that this game will be quite good next summer.

It will probably also be F2P by then.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 14, 2012, 09:28:18 PM »

Gamers are such a positive bunch!

Anyways - The game was fun, and I'm still in day one. I'm a slow player and mainly plays mmo's for the world exploration and lore and this game has that in plenty. I really couldn't care less about animations if the rest is fun, and so far - it is!

A new one
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 14, 2012, 10:03:26 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 14, 2012, 09:28:18 PM

Gamers are such a positive bunch!

It isn't a matter of being positive or negative, it is about being realistic with whether or not a game is worth the money.  Many folks have had to trim their gaming budget, and while 5 years ago I may have been willing to be forgiving, today I am much less prone to do so when I need to look at every $50 I drop.  In the end, if a game is fun, and I can get my money's worth of enjoyment out of it, then I am likely to spend the money...unfortunately there was little in The Secret World that I could classify as being fun.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 15, 2012, 02:23:23 PM »

The reality is that TSW is coming out in a month and the beta looks like it's in a much less finished state than GW2 which doesn't even have a release date yet.  Do you really think they can fix the major issues in a month?  It's possible they already have another build in a much better state but it's highly unlikely.

Besides, Funcom has repeated the same mistakes over and over so why should we be optimistic?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:59:09 PM by skystride » Logged
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 15, 2012, 03:11:43 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 15, 2012, 02:23:23 PM

The reality is that TSW is coming out in a month and the beta looks like it's in a much less finished state than GW2 which doesn't even have a release date yet. ...

That was my first impression as well.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: May 17, 2012, 04:14:37 AM »

Word from a Dev: The Combat (from beta).

A decent enough read explaining a few things. Although I for one would love some way to actually see the powers in the other tiers even if we can't pick them in the current betas.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 24, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »

So I finally got an email from Funcom that I've been accepted into the final beta weekend. I haven't pre-ordered and I applied for the Beta waaay back when it was first announced. The final beta weekend hasn't been decided yet. It's definetely not this one; well, according to this email. Guess I'll get to try out the game for myself soon.
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 14, 2012, 05:59:27 PM »

I have two closed beta buddy keys if anyone is interested. This is the on-going closed beta that is still under NDA and not the occasional weekend beta.

Be warned...this MMO isn't going to be for everyone. The mission system takes a bit to get used to and you have to explore and think your way (Google comes in handy using the in-game browser) through some of them. I typically play west coast evenings if you want to try it out and have someone to answer questions or team with.

Send me a PM if interested.

Edit: Beta keys have been given out. If I get anymore I'll post again.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:50:59 PM by RobbieD » Logged

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 14, 2012, 07:06:46 PM »

I preordered a while back but have not played the previous two beta weekends.  Might give this a few minutes to see if its any good.

Semper Fidelis

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 17, 2012, 05:51:22 PM »

I was just going to put in a few minutes, ended up playing quite a bit and enjoying it.

Semper Fidelis

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 17, 2012, 05:55:27 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 17, 2012, 05:51:22 PM

I was just going to put in a few minutes, ended up playing quite a bit and enjoying it.

Can you give some details of what works/doesn't work in the latest beta? I won't be able to try it myself this weekend.
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 18, 2012, 04:06:23 AM »

I'm interested on hearing updates from the recent beta weekend as well.

The very negative responses on combat from earlier beta events was troubling.  The combat doesn't need to be revolutionary but taking a step back from AoC's fun system seems like a strange move.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 18, 2012, 04:35:22 AM »

I'm not in the open beta so I can't really say much about the combat and how much it's improved  ninja
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 18, 2012, 05:45:46 AM »

How would someone who isn't in beta rank combat compared to AoC, which had probably my favorite "standard" (tab target) MMO combat. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 18, 2012, 07:39:10 AM »

Even with positional requirements, you can't compare tab targetted combat (TSW) with hit detection combat (AoC Melee)

Most combat in TSW is targetted with the occasional PBAOE or Cone/Column that doesn't require a target
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: