http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 07:14:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] The Secret World MMORPG : No Longer Pumped, Just Playing it.  (Read 19190 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 12:13:55 AM »

Looks like this has a lot of potential, I really like the core concept.  Is there any hint of a release date?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 12:18:41 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 21, 2010, 12:13:55 AM

Looks like this has a lot of potential, I really like the core concept.  Is there any hint of a release date?

I imagine when it's done we'll see Ragnar rock.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 03:27:10 PM »

we should be getting another batch of info this week from Gamescom  thumbsup

Because I can,
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2010, 12:35:12 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 16, 2010, 03:27:10 PM

we should be getting another batch of info this week from Gamescom  thumbsup

London Revealed plus some more screenshots and art.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2010, 03:13:22 PM »

Starting out in London as the Templar

Because I can,
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2010, 04:06:38 PM »

Its lookin' good  thumbsup

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2010, 07:41:30 PM »

I was at a live presentation today where Colin Crag (Game Director/Producer for Anarchy Online) showed off the video posted above on the big screen. It was pretty neat. This certainly doesn't look like a WoW clone at this point.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2010, 02:10:09 AM »

Templar starting area / info

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2010, 02:10:56 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on August 27, 2010, 04:06:38 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 27, 2010, 03:13:22 PM

yep.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2010, 02:11:34 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 28, 2010, 02:10:56 AM

Quote from: USMC Kato on August 27, 2010, 04:06:38 PM

Nothing more needs to be said other than I really want to play this.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2010, 06:10:19 PM »

This looks real interesting but Im really curious how the no levels/ no classes thing is going to play out.  The no classes I can understand.  In a way you "class" type will be defined by the powers you choose to enable.  I am more concerned about the no levels thing.  Character growth is the primary thing that drives people to play mmos.  Thats why end game in mmos even as popular as wow bog down.  Your ability to grow your character slows to a crawl.  If powers are the primary growth factor for your character then I can see a serious issue.  No matter how many powers are available, theres going to end up being a limited amount of groups or sets of powers that will become the prefered spec.  Other powers will become basically fluff and only useful to completeists.  Once you get your power set defined,  what drives you to play on?
 Now if its gear that grows your character, then you basically have the same situation as WoW's end game.  You are driven by a gear grind, which ends up being frustrating, because everyones going to want the same gear and like in WoW you will have to grind until youre lucky enough to get it.
 I am hoping they have answers to this because I really like the concept and setting for this game.  Maybe it will be story driven and the events in game will be what brings you back but if they are just hiding the levels in a gear and power grind then I am concerned at how long this game will survive past release.  Please Funcom, this thing has the potential to be awesome,  dont screw it up.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2010, 06:55:33 PM »

It seems that your powers may increase over time, as someone in the video mentioned you had to go back to train your powers. I suspect you level them up, instead of your character.

A new one
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2010, 08:46:42 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 28, 2010, 06:55:33 PM

It seems that your powers may increase over time, as someone in the video mentioned you had to go back to train your powers. I suspect you level them up, instead of your character.

Aye, it appears to be skill based, rather than class/level based. It's good in some ways, bad in others. Does make it easier to balance... everyone gets access to basically the same skills (unless the three factions get unique skill bases somehow... I don't see this happening, but it could.

Also, everyone being some sort of mage, also makes it easier to balance. No tanks vs mdps vs rdsp arguments... it's all gonna be omg fireball is op! nerf! nerf!

It'll be cool to see this in action, especially if funcom really drops the hammer on the graphics department...

I find myself wondering... is each 'spell' going to be a skill, or will it be something more like asherons call was, where you have to build spells from combinations to get what you want.

Aka you'd have skill a be 'fire calling' skill b would be 'fire throwing', and skill c might be 'fire control'... combine all three... and your relative levels in all three, and you get 'fireball'.

All in all, it's shaping up to be very very interesting. And not run of the mill...

It reminds me a lot of hellgate: london, but I think it's mostly the faction system that's doing that. And the subject material.

Atomic
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2011, 04:01:59 PM »

Looks like EA is going to co-publish this, I wonder if that's going to help any.

Because I can,
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2011, 04:24:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 10, 2011, 04:01:59 PM

Looks like EA is going to co-publish this, I wonder if that's going to help any.

My impression from various posts out on The Secret World bboards is that FunCom has been having financial issues.  Perhaps EA is helping out, so I would say yes, this is a good thing.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2011, 04:20:18 AM »

I'm just wondering how the hell I managed to start this thread over 3 years and just pop back into it now!?
 The more I see of this MMO the more it looks like Anarchy Online with a Longest Journey facade slapped on it. Understandable, as they're both from the same studio and that's not necessarily a bad thing IMO as both were great games. I wonder about the no levels thing too. Is it really only going to be leveling skills? Or will it perhaps be like Megaten (Shin Megami Tensei Online) where your character still levels, but it's incosequential and only rises as a result of your skills matrix increasing beyond a certain threshold? I'm hoping I have enough of a PC to at least give this a whirl for a month.

BTW Funcom did announce that they dropped the 360 version of this - correct?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:24:41 AM by kronovan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 20, 2011, 04:20:18 AM

they're 'leaving options open'.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2011, 09:42:57 AM »

aye, they wanted the same for Age of Conan, but I think the technical difficulties of making MMO's like Funcoms like to do, without "downgrading" it towards consoles are some pretty hard to overcome obstacles.

A new one
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2011, 04:42:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 20, 2011, 09:41:37 AM

Quote from: kronovan on January 20, 2011, 04:20:18 AM

they're 'leaving options open'.

Which in other words means: there's no way in hell it's going to happen.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2011, 05:28:50 PM »

I think an mmo would have to be developed for consoles from the ground up in order to prevent pc mmo mechanics from creeping into the game design.  If you think about the average skill bar setup for games like WoW, Lotro, or AoC, a lot of players will have 3-4 active skill bars that they will hotkey with shift, alt and ctrl keystrokes.  If most mmo skillbars have between 10-12 skill slots, that's upwards of 30-48 skills, abilities, macros, and item usage hotkeys.  I don't know how a developer would accommodate that depth of skill/item usage on a 360 or ps3 controller.

Let's say you use the shift or L2/R2 buttons as skill bar toggles, and the face buttons and bumpers (R1/R2) were assignable skill slots (6 slots), that's 18 skills that could be assigned.  That's barely a skillbar and half for most mmo vets.  And I'm not even factoring in the other keyboard functions, like chat.  It makes me cringe a little to write this, but I think an mmo with aspirations of making it on consoles needs to be designed for the console first, and then ported to the pc.       
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2011, 06:48:17 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on January 20, 2011, 05:28:50 PM

I think an mmo would have to be developed for consoles from the ground up in order to prevent pc mmo mechanics from creeping into the game design.  If you think about the average skill bar setup for games like WoW, Lotro, or AoC, a lot of players will have 3-4 active skill bars that they will hotkey with shift, alt and ctrl keystrokes.  If most mmo skillbars have between 10-12 skill slots, that's upwards of 30-48 skills, abilities, macros, and item usage hotkeys.  I don't know how a developer would accommodate that depth of skill/item usage on a 360 or ps3 controller.

Let's say you use the shift or L2/R2 buttons as skill bar toggles, and the face buttons and bumpers (R1/R2) were assignable skill slots (6 slots), that's 18 skills that could be assigned.  That's barely a skillbar and half for most mmo vets.  And I'm not even factoring in the other keyboard functions, like chat.  It makes me cringe a little to write this, but I think an mmo with aspirations of making it on consoles needs to be designed for the console first, and then ported to the pc.       

DC universe works very very well, and is made for both PS3 and PC. I have it for PC so can only speak for that part, but its a brilliant design, and manages to incorporate both action and hotbars very well. So, what I'm saying is, its very possible to do this. That said, they probably DID design this for both consoles and pc from the ground up

A new one
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2011, 03:53:59 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 20, 2011, 06:48:17 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on January 20, 2011, 05:28:50 PM

I think an mmo would have to be developed for consoles from the ground up in order to prevent pc mmo mechanics from creeping into the game design.  If you think about the average skill bar setup for games like WoW, Lotro, or AoC, a lot of players will have 3-4 active skill bars that they will hotkey with shift, alt and ctrl keystrokes.  If most mmo skillbars have between 10-12 skill slots, that's upwards of 30-48 skills, abilities, macros, and item usage hotkeys.  I don't know how a developer would accommodate that depth of skill/item usage on a 360 or ps3 controller.

Let's say you use the shift or L2/R2 buttons as skill bar toggles, and the face buttons and bumpers (R1/R2) were assignable skill slots (6 slots), that's 18 skills that could be assigned.  That's barely a skillbar and half for most mmo vets.  And I'm not even factoring in the other keyboard functions, like chat.  It makes me cringe a little to write this, but I think an mmo with aspirations of making it on consoles needs to be designed for the console first, and then ported to the pc.        

DC universe works very very well, and is made for both PS3 and PC. I have it for PC so can only speak for that part, but its a brilliant design, and manages to incorporate both action and hotbars very well. So, what I'm saying is, its very possible to do this. That said, they probably DID design this for both consoles and pc from the ground up

Opinions on how well DC universe are just that. I personally think (and there are others around who agree) that DC universe is an example of what not to do in game design:  the UI is bulky, lacks any meaningful customization options and is obviously tailored to the PS3 without giving any features that a PC user would love (any customization would be nice), the game engine has a reduced graphic quality and deliberate cartoony look so it will run on both the PS3 and PC, the game is a carpel tunnel inducing click fest that caters more to the mortal combat crowd than the MMO crowd.  I could go on, but I think you see the point.  

Any game designed for cross platform release (as was DC, whether they actually implement this or not) is destined to be gimed by the lowest common denominator of the systems they are releasing it on (which isn't going to be the PC). I love the concept of the game world, however, given Funcom's history of piss poor game releases and the nature of the dual platform release, I don't expect anything good to come of it.

edit: Conan was supposed to be cross platform.  They've had years and still haven't gotten that working. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:46:40 AM by Wargus » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2011, 07:02:24 AM »

There are others who think as you?  eek Sorry, but its just grating when people say that to give their own opinion weight.

That said, I dont think I've ever seen so many positive comments both here and over at Qt3 about a newly released MMO as I have about DC universe. Sure, there are things done that ensures it looks and works both on the PS3 and the PC, and like every other MMO out there, the interface will probably get a facelift, although I don't see any faults with it myself after playing a few days.

Aaaanyways - still looking forward to this, and since I loved Conan and what Funcom did with it, I'm sure I'll love this as well, especially with the brilliant setting.

A new one
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2011, 02:40:47 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 21, 2011, 07:02:24 AM

There are others who think as you?  eek Sorry, but its just grating when people say that to give their own opinion weight.

I think as he does.  icon_twisted

And CO is another game that was supposed to go cross platform but didn't. Both AoC and CO probably would have been better games if they never even considered porting it to consoles.

Most cross platform games seem to suffer from interface quirks (or worse) on the PC. The only exception I can think of are the most simple of FPS games.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2011, 06:06:42 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 21, 2011, 07:02:24 AM

I wouldn't have said it if there weren't a whole series of posts about the issues with DC under its own GT thread.  Most of those issues were written in beta, they haven't been fixed.  Don't get me wrong, DC was fun, for about 30 days (we can head over there if you'd like to talk about it more).

As to Secret World, I fully expect a fantastic story and world, I'd love to beta test it.  However I'm never buying a Funcom game at first release as they have proven that they aren't competent to release a game that is worth buying until they've had at least a year post release to get it past a beta state.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2011, 01:04:42 AM »

due out soon?

Due out in the next few months, The Secret World is a AAA game produced on a large budget over four years in Funcom's Montreal studio.

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2011, 01:56:50 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 01, 2011, 01:04:42 AM

due out soon?

Due out in the next few months, The Secret World is a AAA game produced on a large budget over four years in Funcom's Montreal studio.

also from that blurb:  "Although the terms of the deal were not disclosed, EA is investing hundreds of millions into promotion and distribution, and will earn a percentage of total sales."

Sounds like EA is thowing some serious dollars at this thing.  Im intriqued!

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2011, 07:35:34 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on February 01, 2011, 01:56:50 AM

due out soon?

also from that blurb:  "Although the terms of the deal were not disclosed, EA is investing hundreds of millions into promotion and distribution, and will earn a percentage of total sales."

Sounds like EA is thowing some serious dollars at this thing.  Im intriqued!

hundres of millions of dollars??? I seriously doubt that.

A new one
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »

Yeah, Im thinking that "hundreds of millions" is a bit exaggerated but on the other hand I hope that this is an indication that EA is prepared to make a major commitment to this game, financially. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »

it's hundreds of millions of souls, not dollars.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2011, 03:35:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 01, 2011, 03:19:19 PM

it's hundreds of millions of souls, not dollars.
Since EA alternates between spending a fortune and "penny-pinching," my bet is that's hundreds of millions of pennies. The copper mines are really happy about this.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2011, 05:56:35 PM »

"We're really known for the quality of our games," said Caron, the CEO of Funcom Canada, from the company's studio on Ste. Catherine St. W., at the corner of Bishop St. "Commercially, we haven't seen the correlation of that quality."

Caron said while its 2008 massively multiplayer online game Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures received many accolades, including a Grammy Award for its music, the company was disappointed with how it performed compared with the leader in the world of MMO.

"We thought it could have taken a chunk out of World of Warcraft," Caron said.

This kinda makes me wanna kick him in the joolies. The "quality" of AoC when it launched consisted of missing features, huge content gaps and flat out broken content. They had a huge player base at launch and people left in droves because of the quality that Funcom is known for and it led to the resignation of one of their founders. If they'd come a little closer to finishing the game before they'd released it then, hey, maybe it would have had some success, ya think? This guy coming off like it's some great mystery to Funcom why AoC didn't do so hot doesn't increase my expectations of them managing to pull this game off.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2011, 06:41:19 PM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on February 01, 2011, 05:56:35 PM

"We're really known for the quality of our games," said Caron, the CEO of Funcom Canada, from the company's studio on Ste. Catherine St. W., at the corner of Bishop St. "Commercially, we haven't seen the correlation of that quality."

Caron said while its 2008 massively multiplayer online game Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures received many accolades, including a Grammy Award for its music, the company was disappointed with how it performed compared with the leader in the world of MMO.

This kinda makes me wanna kick him in the joolies. The "quality" of AoC when it launched consisted of missing features, huge content gaps and flat out broken content. They had a huge player base at launch and people left in droves because of the quality that Funcom is known for and it led to the resignation of one of their founders. If they'd come a little closer to finishing the game before they'd released it then, hey, maybe it would have had some success, ya think? This guy coming off like it's some great mystery to Funcom why AoC didn't do so hot doesn't increase my expectations of them managing to pull this game off.

They were helped at launch by many of the review sites only reviewing the first 20 levels, which were very well done and fun, resulting in a lot of very positive reviews.  The player base realized quickly that post Tortage things went down hill quickly.  They were also trying to court the pvp crowd, and they failed miserably by not implementing most of the concepts they were marketing.  Today AoC is a good game, with lots to do, and a very quick leveling curve.  But not then.   
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2011, 07:06:29 PM »

due out soon?

Seems awfully hard to believe.  I occasionally visit The Secret World Forums, and there has been nary a hint of it coming anytime soon.  As far as I know, no one outside the company has played it.  I'm not even sure journalists have been playing it, much less either the closed beta testing SWTOR has done or the "anyone can play" at conferences like PAX stuff SWTOR has done.

Also if EA is publishing both this and SWTOR does it really make sense to publish both of them that close to each other?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2011, 07:14:58 PM »

Popular rumor has SWTOR at September at the earliest, so a few months could mean either late April early May (Wasn't AoC a May title too?) which is plenty of time to sucker in players before TOR 

I think this might appeal to a different audience too.

Because I can,
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2011, 08:23:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 01, 2011, 07:14:58 PM

Popular rumor has SWTOR at September at the earliest, so a few months could mean either late April early May (Wasn't AoC a May title too?) which is plenty of time to sucker in players before TOR 

I think this might appeal to a different audience too.

SWTOR community reps have posted as recently as last week that they are targeting April release, and I saw a developer interview in December where they claimed the same thing.  There's an EA earnings conference call this afternoon, so we may get a bit more info on both games.

Personally I would be very surprised if The Secret World came out before The Old Republic.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2011, 04:25:46 AM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on February 01, 2011, 05:56:35 PM

No kidding.  First AO, then AOC.  The one thing I have to say about funcom is the sure know how to survive after royally screwing up a major product as they've done it twice now. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2011, 12:47:26 AM »

gameplay from GDC 2011
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDg4gbzDhg4
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBEkTYoJB6Q
part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCJ6Ce_-dho
part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP2x2rCEUxE
part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W7W5QNmmzw
part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHdz4BK-S0E

PVP interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCRFB9ujAhQ

GDC 2011 Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLlsZoo8m3o

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »

they just updated the main website.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 18, 2011, 02:33:06 PM

they just updated the main website.

Sweeet update! I still got my eye on this promising MMO. It's developing nicely, me thinks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: