http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:24:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [opinion] Best MMO Business Models  (Read 2141 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2012, 06:04:00 AM »

an opinion piece on the 5 best MMO Business models.  figured it'd be interesting to see peoples thoughts on these.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:07:39 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 02:28:35 PM »

I think Free 2 Play can work just fine, it's just that the devs have to make a very hard effort to not allow anything pay to win in.  So many games have been that way that at this point even if a game doesn't have anything that is pay to win, people will pick apart the system and insist it is anyway.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:11:22 PM »

Just don't enter the MMO market at all. That's the best MMO business model!  ban

I'm sure if you leafed through the graveyard of defunct MMO developers, they would agree.  We put the fun in funeral

As far as F2P goes, imho as long as the world's economy continues to sputter, and lots of folks have employment, home ownership, college loans, etc. etc. concerns, then yeah, you'll probably have much better luck nickel and diming MMO players to get money out of them long term than getting a flat $179.88 every year out of them, esp. given how often masses of players lose interest in an MMO within 6 months of launch.

F2P in theory gives them a way to even keep disgruntled or "losing interest" player attached to the game, whereas $14.99 a month, generally, doesn't make such players want to stay attached and see how the game evolves. Once that launch happiness is over, it becomes "Do I want to keep throwing $15 a month at this thing?"

I really don't know how F2P is working for the higher profile titles. I know LOTRO, City of Heroes, Champions, Star Trek Online, etc. are surviving or at least doing OK. I don't know if if they're ravingly successful to the point devs are driving Porsches and Ferraris and drinking from a liquid milk chocolate fountain at their desks. If the games are surviving, and they're able to continously churn out content updates, maybe that's all you can ask in today's environment.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 07:14:01 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 11:09:32 AM »

both of Turbine's games are doing well enough that they both have expansions this year, so they at least must be doing something right. (DDO and LOTRO)
As for the rest, I really have no idea. I did catch myself paying a lot more than 14.95 one month in DDO, due to the shop, so I can totally see the idea working.

A new one
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 07:00:02 PM »

What Blackjack said:

Just don't enter the MMO market at all. That's the best MMO business model!

Save yourselves, save yourselves now!

I wish they had never been invented, personally. Okay, back to the addiction that is Forsaken World...

Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: