http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 05:02:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [9/28/07] Friday Night Halo 3 Geezers Gone Wild...  (Read 5148 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2007, 05:53:05 AM »

Over at OO there has been some discussion about how frustrating it can be to play with the young, obnoxious, Cheeto-smelling elite, and how little fun we all have being instantly wiped out and teabagged by the future leaders of society.  And so there has been a fair bit of interest in putting together some Halo 3 multiplayer with some of us older members, who are far from being the Halo elite, and who just want to play some friendly games of MP Halo.  We really don't care about skill level or age, and merely want to have fun playing the game. 

And so I am organizing a Halo 3 MP game Friday night (9/28/07) and invite any interested members who might normally be weary about playing in random online matches, or who might be somewhat self-conscious about their lower than average skill level, and hope that you all will get over your initial apprehension and will join us in a fun night of Halo 3 carnage.  My wife will be playing as well (MoosNukle), and so we're all just hoping to have a fun night with online friends.

Here is the message I put together over at OO:

Quote from: PeteRock
Due to the impressive turnout in this thread, and the request for a geriatric project manager for retirement home social activities, I have decided to take the initiative and organize a Halo 3 multiplayer session Friday night (9/28/07) with my wife.  She has been a Halo multiplayer fan since the original Halo and urged me throughout the night to organize a session so that she would have an opportunity to play with so many of my online Friends she has gotten to know by booing them in the background during games of Madden and Gears of War.  Only now she would like the opportunity to trash talk more directly, and because she will be broadcasting straight from Vicodin Land, you all owe it to yourselves to join us if only for the sheer comedic value alone.  And so finally I will not be the only one slurring throughout the night. 

The Vicodin-fuelled frag fest will commence at 7pm sharp Arizona time (and for those suffering from Alzheimers and an inability to compensate for regional time differences, that's 7pm Pacific, 8pm Mountain, 9pm Central, or 10pm Eastern). 

PhillyPeteRock and his lovely wife MoosNukle will be beginning the night's festivities with a modified version of lawn darts (different, but just as lethal) by organizing a game of Slayer with Rockets in order for classic Halo veterans to shake off the rust and for those new to the game to battle with weapons requiring minimal accuracy (which normally only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades, but can now be applied to Rockets as well). 

Following lawn darts we will then venture into the various game modes, with definite interest in the Zombie game type (since most of us old farts have one foot in the grave already and look forward to the possibility of reanimation), and team-based games are always on the menu, especially if I get to kill my wife.  Virtually, of course.   ninja

Even though some discussion has taken place in this thread, I request that all interested parties respond here with their gamertags in case I don't have you on my Friends list (and feel free to add both me and my wife, MoosNukle, to your Friends lists).  Invites will be sent out at 7pm sharp (for a time zone explanation please see above), and invites will continue to be sent until we are happy with the number of participants in our game. 

And no, my wife will not share her tickets to Vicodin Land with anyone.  Already tried. 

My wife and I look forward to playing with all of you Friday night.

Note on thread title:  While trying to come up with a thread title my wife was flipping through the channels and, I kid you not, there was a show on VH1 called "Geezers Gone Wild."  A thread title has never been more appropriate.

We hope to see some of you in attendance, and perhaps some of you who might normally be apprehensive or weary about playing in online matches will give online MP a try since you will be instantly welcomed as a friend, and will hopefully have a wonderful time playing in a fun and welcoming atmosphere.  Cheers.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 06:07:17 AM »

Doopri

im in! looking to get some more action in and no going out for me as im currently a mutant but found a way to hold a controller with one hand and a pinky - wicked!

disclaimer - i swear and get more fired up than i should over a video game smile - only partially joking
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:57:20 AM »

Friday night at 10:00 is hit or miss for me.

But if I am on, please send an invite.  If I'm around - I'm certainly IN!

gamertag = Lockdown

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 11:58:05 AM »

In

Sorry about last night Lockdown.  Had to be at work today at 5 am, so I was hitting the hay early.  I'll shoot you in the back tonight for old time sake  nod icon_lol

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 01:42:28 PM »

Old Man reporting in!  I have strategically recorded hours and hours of TV entertainment for my wife to keep her occupied so I'm in the clear for tonight!

USMC Kato

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 03:56:05 PM »

Friends added to my list:

-Doopri

Friends already on my list:

-Lockdown
-Soulchilde
-USMC Kato

We have a pretty good turnout of intersted parties over at OO as well, so this should be a very interesting evening.  If we can fill all 16 slots it will be a first for me, and such a large number of players will make for some really interesting games.

I can't wait for tonight, and my wife is even more excited than I am. 

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 04:04:27 PM »

You can add me if you want.

I have about a half dozen or more people from work that also may be available to play

Exception: I may be playing poker tonight, but most Fridays I am available

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 04:54:04 PM »

you're already on my Friends List peterock, so I'll be on

although I may or may not be able to play in this competitive MP game...I might be doing the campaign with some friends, depending on what time

btw pete, have you already played the entire campaign yet or are you planning on going through that MP coop anytime?
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 04:57:57 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on September 28, 2007, 04:54:04 PM

although I may or may not be able to play in this competitive MP game...I might be doing the campaign with some friends, depending on what time

btw pete, have you already played the entire campaign yet or are you planning on going through that MP coop anytime?

I have not yet played through the campaign (only got my copy of the game yesterday - preordering is for suckers), and I'm attempting to play through Halo and Halo 2 before "finishing the fight", but I may not have enough self control to keep from playing Halo 3, and I definitely plan to play through cooperatively in order to earn the Legendary achievements (don't think I can do it on my own).  My wife is a Halo junkie as well, and so she'll be thrilled to have others to play with cooperatively.  So you already have two built-in partners since both me and my wife are willing to play co-op (and she's pretty vicous with the rocket launcher, sword, and the bullet/bitch-slap one-two combo). 

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 05:04:01 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on September 28, 2007, 04:57:57 PM

Quote from: KePoW on September 28, 2007, 04:54:04 PM

I have not yet played through the campaign (only got my copy of the game yesterday - preordering is for suckers), and I'm attempting to play through Halo and Halo 2 before "finishing the fight", but I may not have enough self control to keep from playing Halo 3, and I definitely plan to play through cooperatively in order to earn the Legendary achievements (don't think I can do it on my own).  My wife is a Halo junkie as well, and so she'll be thrilled to have others to play with cooperatively.  So you already have two built-in partners since both me and my wife are willing to play co-op (and she's pretty vicous with the rocket launcher, sword, and the bullet/bitch-slap one-two combo). 

hahha, sweet

the Campaign in co-op is surprisingly very replayable, with the cool meta-game scoring thing they added...and all the various skulls to turn on to make things even more different at any time.  makes things 'competitive' each co-op mission you play, lol
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 05:13:37 PM »

I am in!!!! No work for me tomorrow, so I can pull an all nighter to night.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 05:20:06 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on September 28, 2007, 05:13:37 PM

I am in!!!! No work for me tomorrow, so I can pull an all nighter to night.

Nice!  And I already have you on my Friends list.  Adding you to my shopping list so that when I start up our game tonight I don't forget anyone when I start sending out invites like marketing flyers.

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 05:22:36 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on September 28, 2007, 06:07:17 AM

Doopri

im in! looking to get some more action in and no going out for me as im currently a mutant but found a way to hold a controller with one hand and a pinky - wicked!

disclaimer - i swear and get more fired up than i should over a video game smile - only partially joking

Don't be fooled by Doopri! One of his hands isn't 100% but still managed to win our last free-for-all match.  See you tonight buddy.

Semper Fidelis

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 05:26:21 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on September 28, 2007, 05:22:36 PM

Quote from: Doopri on September 28, 2007, 06:07:17 AM

Doopri

Don't be fooled by Doopri! One of his hands isn't 100% but still managed to win our last free-for-all match.  See you tonight buddy.

What's wrong with his hand, or don't I want to know?   ninja

With my heavy drinking and my wife's newfound addiction to Vicodin, it will certainly be an interesting night.  Last night just before bed she looked at me with an embarassed expression on her face, and when I asked what was wrong, she said she was having so much fun in Vicodin Land that she didn't want to "waste" her prescription when she was sleeping, preferring only to visit Vicodin Land while she is awake.   icon_eek

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 05:37:14 PM »

If I get home from work by then, I'm in!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 05:40:08 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on September 28, 2007, 05:37:14 PM

If I get home from work by then, I'm in!

Added to my shopping list.  I'll definitely keep an eye out for you.  And keep in mind that people will most likely join in and drop out of our games throughout the night, so odds are if you make it online at any point tonight you'll be able to join in the festivities.  Don't worry about missing the evening's kick-off events, as we'll probably be playing well into the night, or at least until I run out of beer or the wife passes into Vicodin Dreamland. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 05:52:05 PM »

K. Feel free to include me; my bro and I may be up for some online shenanigans. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 05:55:52 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 28, 2007, 05:52:05 PM

K. Feel free to include me; my bro and I may be up for some online shenanigans. biggrin

Added to the shopping list.  But conversations and team game chatter must be kept to a minimum, short and sweet.  Loquaciousness leads to team disarray and confusion.  None of your usual forum verbosity will be allowed. 

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 06:01:16 PM »

Y'all should check out the new gametypes and map variants on the "bungie favorites" file share.  Rocket Racing and Pirates of the something something sound like they're pretty entertaining.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 06:03:02 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on September 28, 2007, 06:01:16 PM

Y'all should check out the new gametypes and map variants on the "bungie favorites" file share.  Rocket Racing and Pirates of the something something sound like they're pretty entertaining.

How do these work?  Do the map variants have explanations of what the goal of the game might be, and can they be accessed while setting up a MP game with a group of people in your lobby?  Haven't even delved into this yet.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 06:08:48 PM »

Good question.

The web site lists the various downloads:  http://www.bungie.net/Online/BungieFavorites.aspx

There's an associated thread for Rocket Race, but I don't see one for Pirate Ships.  It appears to be a territories variant per the description of the gametype.

Of course, after you download it, you can look at the details of the gametype yourself to see how it's arranged.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »

I messed around with those maps by myself to see what was going on, and it looks like the pirate thing is because everyone's armed with a pistol and a sword.  Other than that, I don't see anything terribly pirate themed.

pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 08:22:41 PM »

I'll probably be playing tonight - I'm up for some GT Multiplayer...

Chris.
Gamertag: Dirok
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 10:15:58 PM »

The plan for tonight's festivities:

So far the level of response has been staggering.  With Gears of War we sometimes had to really scramble to fill all 8 player slots, but for our Halo 3 multiplayer session tonight I've had 26 people respond already.   icon_eek

My plan is to set up a game and send out invites to all interested parties (if you are online, of course).  The first 16 to accept invites will be the first to kick off the night's festivities.  There is unfortunately a possibility that all who want to play may not make it into the game I set up.  But, we have a few options as to how to handle this.  Your evening will not be lost.  Once I've filled my game, anyone from the thread can start up a game themselves if they are interested for those unable to make it into the game that I initially set up.  Also, over the course of the night people will pop in and out pretty regularly, so anytime a slot opens up new invites will be sent out.  As people log on throughout the night, if you want to get into our game just send me a message letting me know you're interested and if we have a slot open you're in, if not there's always a chance someone will be dropping out shortly, and we'll make sure to communicate with each other when someone plans to leave for the evening.  But invites will be sent out throughout  the night as players come and go.

Of course, there is a distinct possibility that all 26 interested players won't be on right at 7pm Arizona time and may log on later.  In this case odds are some will have dropped out leaving open slots for others to come in.  When you log on, send a quick message (or, you might wind up getting an invite before you've even had time to load up the game just yet). 

Just keep an eye out for me (PhillyPeteRock), and if you log on later in the evening check in with me to see if we have any positions open.  As it gets later I'm sure slots will open up more frequently, especially when it starts to get pretty late for the east-coasters.  I'll do my best to keep the games varried, fun, interesting, and full of players.  All any of you have to do is show up ready to play.

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 10:21:52 PM »

icon_mrgreen Excellent excellent!!! (rubs hands together)

PeteRock will be so busy sending and receiving messages he will not be able to play at 100% capacity!!

All joking aside, thanks for stepping up and co-ordinating Friday Night Fights.  I will never take for granted

a great gaming community.

Semper Fidelis

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 10:31:08 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on September 28, 2007, 10:21:52 PM

icon_mrgreen Excellent excellent!!! (rubs hands together)

PeteRock will be so busy sending and receiving messages he will not be able to play at 100% capacity!!

All joking aside, thanks for stepping up and co-ordinating Friday Night Fights.  I will never take for granted

a great gaming community.

I really appreciated when ATB (SensuousLettuce) took the initiative to organize Gears of War multiplayer sessions on Friday nights, and so when so many expressed interest in playing MP Halo 3 amongst friends, voiced concern about playing with random strangers online, and admitted intimidation due to an assumed lack of skill, I know how much fun online MP can be with people you know, and I want others from the GT and OO communities to experience that same level of fun, competition, and camaraderie.  Online MP gaming doesn't have to be frustrating, obnoxious, intimidating, or difficult.  The key is finding great people to play with, and I'm hoping to offer that to everyone here interested in experiencing what you and I have had so much fun doing, playing online MP with good people.  I thought it would be nice to take on some responsibility and offer to put together organized Friday night Halo 3 MP sessions (especially now that Simba's obedience training is on Thursday nights instead of Friday nights), and I hope to offer to everyone the same dedication and willingness to host games that ATB did for the loyal Gears of War players.  I plan to put together Halo 3 MP sessions every Friday that I am available (I occasionally travel for Eagles games or to visit family, but most Fridays you can expect me here lobbying for Halo 3 MP sessions).

The toughest part is finding some level of organization for getting MP games together.  But, if someone steps up and takes the initiative to plan to play MP on a particular night and at a particular time, that makes it easier for others to get involved and to have an opportunity to experience what some of us have learned, that online MP can be an absolute blast with friends.

WOOOOOOT!

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 12:02:16 AM »

I plan to set our games to "Friends Only", which will allow anyone on my Friends list to join if there are open slots.  I originally thought I'd have to send out invites to each and every person I wanted to play, but once we start a game I can set the privacy setting to allow anyone on my Friends list to join at any time, so when you log on tonight, if you haven't received an invite and want to get in on the action, just "join match in progress" and you should be all set. 

The security options are "Open Party", "Friends Only", or "Invite Only."  With "Friends Only" it'll allow anyone on my Friends list to join, but not the general public.  See you all tonight. 

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2007, 01:14:40 AM »

Hey Pete, if I miss out on the first game, do you think Rocket Slayers can be pulled out more than once?

I LOVE that MP variation.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2007, 01:20:01 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on September 29, 2007, 01:14:40 AM

Hey Pete, if I miss out on the first game, do you think Rocket Slayers can be pulled out more than once?

Absorocketlutely!  My wife's going to want a number of playthroughs in that variant as well, as it is one of her personal favorites, and also one she dominates a lot of the time.   icon_eek

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2007, 01:24:05 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on September 29, 2007, 01:20:01 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on September 29, 2007, 01:14:40 AM

Absorocketlutely!  My wife's going to want a number of playthroughs in that variant as well, as it is one of her personal favorites, and also one she dominates a lot of the time.   icon_eek

Awesome!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2007, 06:32:49 AM »

thanks for the invites but I was busy playing co-op with a friend.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2007, 11:34:07 AM »

You keep calling it "your friend". 

Why the charade, CK?

- - - - -

Incidently, I think we had two full games going for at least 2 to 3 hours last night.  The turnout was insane.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2007, 01:51:42 PM »

I spent in the vicinity of 5 hours online with the game last night.  That's just crazy.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2007, 02:51:02 PM »

My wife and I would like to thank everyone for a fun evening.  We really had a good time, and having played online MP with my wife in Halo 2 with some of the worst society has to offer, she was very appreciative of just how much fun online MP can be with "friends" (faceless friends from online forums).  She never realized how much more fun online MP can be when you play with a good group of people, and even though she enjoyed online MP with Halo 2, the rampant immaturity really took away from an otherwise fun game.  She had no idea how much better the experience can be with the right people. 

She didn't say much, probably partly out of concentration (she had a pretty severe expression whenever bullets were flying), partly out of her vicodin-fueled stupor, and partly out of not really knowing everyone that well and just wanting to "take it all in" so to speak, but she definitely laughed a lot, she enjoyed killing familiar screen names (like hepcat, Jancelot, USMC Kato, naednek), and she looks forward to playing with everyone again soon.

I'm pretty psyched because during our Gears of War days she only played once and just couldn't get into the game (the 3rd person view threw her off, as she is used to Halo-style shooters - Halo was the first "modern" videogame she ever played, and once she got the controls down, she was usually the one organizing our marathon MP sessions), but now she plans to try to participate anytime we have another Halo 3 get-together.    icon_biggrin  Unfortunately around 10:30 or so our internet connection crapped out and we were unable to log back onto Live.  We thought at first that the insane GT/OO Halo 3 turnout broke teh intarnets, but we couldn't get back online with Live or our computer, so the problem was definitely with our internet connection.   icon_mad

Last night was a lot of fun and we both look forward to playing with everyone again soon.  And I apologize to those who received mass spam invites over the course of the night.  We were just trying to keep our game full of as many players as possible, so anytime someone didn't accept an invite we just figured they were involved in another game.  But, just in case players were online looking for a game, we'd send out invites just in case to make sure everyone had a chance to play.

Thanks again for a great evening and my wife and I both look forward to playing again soon.  It really is a great feeling to finally be able to play a game with my wife and online friends.  She really had a blast and it's nice to play with her rather than just have her sitting next to me booing my online Madden opponents. 

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2007, 03:05:09 PM »

Sorry I couldn't stick around long.  I'm definitely up for doing it again, though!

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2007, 04:26:57 PM »

Oh rueful life! Why did I have to be out of town this weekend of all weekends!?

I've missed the party.  When will it happen again!? 

When will PeteRock ever be on early in the evening again?!

Have I missed my once chance, my just one chance to kill him to death in another game (note: ATB will most likely be the one killed to death as FPS MP is not his forte).

Oh snap. Oh snap is me.   icon_frown
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2007, 04:50:50 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 29, 2007, 04:26:57 PM

Oh rueful life! Why did I have to be out of town this weekend of all weekends!?

I've missed the party.  When will it happen again!? 

When will PeteRock ever be on early in the evening again?!

Have I missed my once chance, my just one chance to kill him to death in another game (note: ATB will most likely be the one killed to death as FPS MP is not his forte).

Oh snap. Oh snap is me.   icon_frown

Whenever I am available on Friday nights (and with advanced obedience training being held on Thursdays instead of Fridays now that should be relatively often) I plan to organize Halo 3 multiplayer get-togethers.  You will have your chance to die.   

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2007, 06:18:59 PM »

Absolutely fantastic night of gaming.  Everyone pwning everyone (some more than others  ninja) all us gamers laughing and having a good time. 

Semper Fidelis

Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2007, 09:08:38 PM »

I was finishing up Heavenly Sword last night so I missed out. Add me for the future, gamertag is Natjak.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2007, 11:12:42 PM »

That was an absolute blast last night -- thanks for sending me the invite Pete!

I'll try to watch the board here to see if other Fridays are going on too; I really enjoy playing with other grownups!  smile

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: