http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 08:22:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Weekend World at War - Friday night CoD:WaW  (Read 39720 times)
pr0ner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 12, 2009, 09:33:26 PM »

It's always fun to be on the "wrong" team and beat the snot out of you guys, too.  Tongue

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 13, 2009, 01:39:40 PM »

Not adding anything new to the discussion here but these are my thoughts as I close in on 5 hrs played:

1. Spawning is broken.  Unbelievable
2. Glitchers are uber frustrating. Not sure how it would happen but they should have all their stats wiped
3. Bouncing Betties are a scourge. At least in COD4 you had a chance to see them without bomb squad turned on. Aye Caramba.
4. Juggernaut is overpowered in this game.  With the limited ammo in these guns Juggernaut is preposterous
5. Juggernaut+ Second Chance is double over-powered. See 4 and then add in a guy, who should be dead,  shooting back at you as you try to reload.
6. Map sizes are great. They seem significantly bigger than COD4 maps which is nice
7. Dogs are a super weapon and take way too many bullets to bring down- except when I unleash them. Then they do nothing. smile
8. I've lost count how many times I've gone into a dark space and have tried to turn on night vision.
9. I have no idea how best to use or take down a tank.
10. I'm not sure how anyone survived WWII.
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 13, 2009, 02:05:31 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 13, 2009, 01:39:40 PM

4. Juggernaut is overpowered in this game.  With the limited ammo in these guns Juggernaut is preposterous
5. Juggernaut+ Second Chance is double over-powered. See 4 and then add in a guy, who should be dead,  shooting back at you as you try to reload.
7. Dogs are a super weapon and take way too many bullets to bring down- except when I unleash them. Then they do nothing. smile

those would be fixed by playing in hardcore.  a lot of the rifles will bring down someone in 1 shot.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 13, 2009, 02:26:26 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on January 13, 2009, 02:05:31 PM

those would be fixed by playing in hardcore.  a lot of the rifles will bring down someone in 1 shot.

Well, my short play experience last night in hardcore showed that the tendency for everyone is to camp. I don't find that fun.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 13, 2009, 02:33:23 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 13, 2009, 02:26:26 PM

Well, my short play experience last night in hardcore showed that the tendency for everyone is to camp. I don't find that fun.

People camp in hardcore _because_ one shot kills you.  That's the fun!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:52:09 PM by Bob » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 13, 2009, 02:47:17 PM »

Quote from: Bob on January 13, 2009, 02:33:23 PM

I can sit around and do nothing at home smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 13, 2009, 02:52:27 PM »

9. I have no idea how best to use or take down a tank.

Tanks seem incredibly easy to take down in non-Hardcore, but I suppose that's because I've spent my time learning how to bring them down in Hardcore.

One satchel underneath a tank is a one shot kill, fireworks perk or no.  Either look on the map to predict where they're headed and set a trap, or just run up to them, put one in front and one behind and bait them into moving while you run around them out of range of their turret.

Two satchels to the backside (with a sticky added for good measure) will usually take a tank down in one salvo, also without fireworks.  Wait in hiding until the turret turns away from you, then run up and take advantage of their huge blindspot.

If you're scared of getting close, bazookas to the backside will whittle them down.

It's inconsistent but if I have Primary Grenade x2 unlocked I've had good success using the Fireworks perk and throwing two stickies to the back.  Much quicker and less vulnerable way to attack, but if you need to get credited for the rear-quarter hit in order for the two stickies to bring down an undamaged tank.

If you're in the tank, use the shooty end and avoid manning the MG turret.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 13, 2009, 02:54:32 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 13, 2009, 02:47:17 PM

Quote from: Bob on January 13, 2009, 02:33:23 PM

I can sit around and do nothing at home smile

People do camp in Hardcore but on most of the maps you're better served by constantly relocating.  The real deciding factor about choosing HC vs non-HC is whether you want the game to be like a tactical shooter or like an Unreal Tournament deathmatch.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 13, 2009, 03:27:51 PM »

3. Bouncing Betties are a scourge. At least in COD4 you had a chance to see them without bomb squad turned on. Aye Caramba.

you can see them easily, but people are getting crafty with their placement, like just far enough back from the top of the stairs so you can't see them until it's too late, around the corner right next to the wall where if someone comes the wrong way they won't see it, right under stairs, right next to you when your sniping to get that bastard who sneaks up on you and tried to knife you (or close enough where you can blow it up yourself should you go into last stand, thus robbing the enemy of their kill).

of course Betties don't always kill you- I've had a few go off in my face without getting a scratch on me.  oh, and dogs can set them off.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 13, 2009, 03:56:52 PM »

...and hiding betties on the other side of high walls means that you can trigger them without getting killed, as they will detonate before you round the corner. 

I've had plenty of betties go off immediately after I see them and begin to backpedal, usually to no avail.  They are helpful to watch the back door for a sniper, make for some easy kills when you know a good placement location, and are a viable weapon system. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 13, 2009, 04:12:26 PM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on January 12, 2009, 08:23:26 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on January 12, 2009, 07:54:30 PM

I don't mind being the 7th man on the opposite side. It's pretty fun knowing the enemy for me.

And listening to their party chat.  I've been in that position a few times, although the references might as well be in code. 

Enemy:  "I've got the bacon bits covered, I'm parked on Hellspawn Ridge." 

Me:  (WTF?)

plus it's a blast playing with people you haven't played with for awhile-  I think we all had fun with Moriarty's potty mouth the other night  icon_mrgreen

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 13, 2009, 04:55:29 PM »

I have never survived a betty encounter.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 13, 2009, 04:56:44 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 13, 2009, 03:56:52 PM

I've had plenty of betties go off immediately after I see them and begin to backpedal, usually to no avail.  They are helpful to watch the back door for a sniper, make for some easy kills when you know a good placement location, and are a viable weapon system. 

I may be a betty-using whore, but I agree they need to either increase the activation delay, reduce the explosion radius or damage, or increase the activation radius.  If you trigger the betty at the edge of its activation radius you should be able to immediately backpedal to save yourself.  I wonder if it's more balanced in non-hardcore, where if you're at the edge of the radius you'll only be injured instead of one-shot killed.

Preemptive edit, apparently from ATB's experience they are indeed just as lethal in non-HC.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 13, 2009, 05:14:23 PM »

It's a lot easier to survive a betty in non-HC.  There's a challenge for it, too, at high levels.  I've survived them both in hardcore and regular, but with much greater frequency in regular (flak jacket helps tremendously).

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: January 13, 2009, 05:16:32 PM »

as another betty whore (who camps in hard core too btw) i use those things as they are intended:  guard duty.  nothing so frustrating taking up position and having some fool knife you before you hit 3 kills.  very few places are defensible on more than 2 sides and that means you need to watch your back and mine the approaches.  they aren't invincible though and you can find yourself dead at the hands of a skilled player or one with the bomb squad perk, especially if they have already learned that bettys are in play.  if they nerf the damage, it will break my mold.  

as for hc tactics, i recommend sticking with one weapon, preferably a rifle for big maps instead of a bolt action, and an smg for the small ones (although a g-43 can still effective on asylum and dome).  i stuck with the g-43, as i believe hark has as well through the lower levels until you get the silencer and the long range scope.  it makes for a great mid range sniper rifle and it can kill in one hit.  it can also wound though, even without juggernaut, so it's not over powered.  

hc requires a different mindset, but i much prefer it over non hc where everyone likes to run around like lunatics.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: January 13, 2009, 05:28:25 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 13, 2009, 05:16:32 PM

hc requires a different mindset, but i much prefer it over non hc where everyone likes to run around like lunatics.

Plus there's no chance to breathe in regular.  You die, you respawn as soon as you like if you don't want to watch the killcam.  It's a bit nuts.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 13, 2009, 06:14:22 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on January 13, 2009, 05:14:23 PM

It's a lot easier to survive a betty in non-HC.  There's a challenge for it, too, at high levels.  I've survived them both in hardcore and regular, but with much greater frequency in regular (flak jacket helps tremendously).

I forgot about the Flak Jacket!

But I'm not sure I want to use one of my perks on it.

Preemptive edit, apparently from ATB's experience they are indeed just as lethal in non-HC.

Well, admittedly. I'm not very good at the game at this point. So I'm never looking for them. I'm just trying to figure where to go on these maps. If I'm alive more than 6 seconds at a time I consider it a moral victory.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:16:04 PM by SensuousLettuce » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 13, 2009, 11:00:05 PM »

We covered killing tanks earlier in the thread in pretty high detail. slywink

Dogs are sooooo much better than helicopters.  They are easy to kill and when you kill them you get points for the team.  Allows a good team to keep up the pressure and fight back during the dogs, unlike when a helicopter is out and you just have to kill it as quickly as possible to minimize damage but it's still going to give them a lead.'

I have no problem seeing Betties without bomb squad as long as I remember to look for them.  They have a glowing yellow top to aid in recognition.

If the game isn't for you, it isn't for you.  However you can't really expect to be as good as the people who actually opened the game when it was released and therefore already know the ins and outs of the gameplay plus the maps.  ninja
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 13, 2009, 11:14:54 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 13, 2009, 11:00:05 PM

If the game isn't for you, it isn't for you.  However you can't really expect to be as good as the people who actually opened the game when it was released and therefore already know the ins and outs of the gameplay plus the maps.  ninja

thumbsup thumbsup icon_mrgreen

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 14, 2009, 12:54:01 AM »

However you can't really expect to be as good as the people who actually opened the game when it was released and therefore already know the ins and outs of the gameplay plus the maps.  ninja

Well, truth be told, statistically speaking (K/D wise) I already am.  ninja
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 14, 2009, 01:03:46 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 14, 2009, 12:54:01 AM

However you can't really expect to be as good as the people who actually opened the game when it was released and therefore already know the ins and outs of the gameplay plus the maps.  ninja

I think you are underestimating how many people got the game late slywink
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 14, 2009, 01:12:18 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 14, 2009, 01:03:46 AM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 14, 2009, 12:54:01 AM

I think you are underestimating how many people got the game late slywink

And even I can inflate the K/D ratio by playing in normal.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 14, 2009, 03:26:01 AM »

My K/D in normal is much, much lower than in HC
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 14, 2009, 03:43:17 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 14, 2009, 03:26:01 AM

Clearly, you suck at COD then.   icon_twisted

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 14, 2009, 04:30:04 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on January 14, 2009, 03:43:17 AM

Clearly, you suck at COD then.   icon_twisted

At least I play the game and not FIFA/NHL ;P
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 14, 2009, 03:30:40 PM »

Hmm. Maybe i should just play HC then Tongue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: January 14, 2009, 06:11:17 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 14, 2009, 03:30:40 PM

+1 to this SL.  in fact, if nobody is on to play HC, i usually play something else entirely.  far cry 2 has my attention at the moment and is much more enjoyable than normal cod mp. 

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 14, 2009, 06:20:05 PM »

I've only played regular MP a few times in World at War, and in every instance I would have rather been playing HC.  HC is more tactical, whereas regular MP is run-and-run respawning chaos.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 14, 2009, 06:29:02 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 14, 2009, 06:11:17 PM

+1 to this SL.  in fact, if nobody is on to play HC, i usually play something else entirely.  far cry 2 has my attention at the moment and is much more enjoyable than normal cod mp. 

I get the HC  love, but I hate camping. I get that it's more realistic but it's so aggravating to me to have no one moving and nothing happening and then if you decide to try to find an enemy he shoots you as you come around a blind corner.  That's not fun to me.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 14, 2009, 06:45:41 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 14, 2009, 06:29:02 PM

Quote from: Caine on January 14, 2009, 06:11:17 PM

I get the HC  love, but I hate camping. I get that it's more realistic but it's so aggravating to me to have no one moving and nothing happening and then if you decide to try to find an enemy he shoots you as you come around a blind corner.  That's not fun to me.

Then you are going to hate HC here because that's all that happens.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 14, 2009, 06:56:11 PM »

I get that it's more realistic but it's so aggravating to me to have no one moving and nothing happening and then if you decide to try to find an enemy he shoots you as you come around a blind corner.  That's not fun to me.

Don't go around corners blindly.  If you're about to cross an area that is partly bloody with a 50% chance of bullets, find cover near the corner and first check the hiding spots to see if they're clear.  Then either sprint to the next cover or move slower with your weapon trained on likely camp spots.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 14, 2009, 07:13:43 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 14, 2009, 06:56:11 PM

I get that it's more realistic but it's so aggravating to me to have no one moving and nothing happening and then if you decide to try to find an enemy he shoots you as you come around a blind corner.  That's not fun to me.

Don't go around corners blindly.  If you're about to cross an area that is partly bloody with a 50% chance of bullets, find cover near the corner and first check the hiding spots to see if they're clear.  Then either sprint to the next cover or move slower with your weapon trained on likely camp spots.

Exactly.  HC requires a more tactical approach.  If you're running blindly around a corner then, quite frankly, you're inevitably going to be gunned down by someone playing in a more cautious, tactical manner.  I do, however, have a problem with players who hide in an obscure, dark corner entirely away from the action waiting for that one random passer-by, but chosing a tactical location is different from outright camping in an obscure corner.  I make sure to bring my Coleman stove either way just in case. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 14, 2009, 07:36:12 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 14, 2009, 06:20:05 PM

I've only played regular MP a few times in World at War, and in every instance I would have rather been playing HC.  HC is more tactical, whereas regular MP is run-and-run respawning chaos.

yeah, but it's great for getting XP and unlocks.

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 14, 2009, 07:42:02 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 14, 2009, 06:56:11 PM

Don't go around corners blindly.  If you're about to cross an area that is partly bloody with a 50% chance of bullets, find cover near the corner and first check the hiding spots to see if they're clear.  

Well that's hard to do as I don't know the maps yet Tongue

I do, however, have a problem with players who hide in an obscure, dark corner entirely away from the action waiting for that one random passer-by, but chosing a tactical location is different from outright camping in an obscure corner. 

This is mostly to what I'm referring to.  But again, pretty much every corner is obscure and dark at this point... smile
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 14, 2009, 07:50:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 14, 2009, 07:36:12 PM

Do you earn XP faster in regular games?  I never really paid enough attention to notice.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 14, 2009, 07:53:27 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 03, 2008, 04:11:58 PM

And as I've come to identify players by voice just by having played with them for quite a while (Harkonis, Fuzz, pr0ner, skystride, jblank, Hardon Smasher, even Hellspawn are easy to pick out by tone of voice or use of profanity, OR HOW COULD I FORGET THE SOOTHING, ANGELIC TONE OF WONDERPUG'S SENSUAL AND CALMING VOICE AS HIS WHISPERS CARESS OUR EARDRUMS AND FOCUS OUR CONCENTRATION WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY MAKING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US FEEL LIKE WE ARE THE ONLY PERSON PRESENT AND HE IS TALKING DIRECTLY TO US AS IF WE ARE HIS ONE AND ONLY TRUE TEAMMATE FOREVER TO GRACE THE FIELD OF BATTLE TOGETHER AS ONE, ALWAYS ASSURING US WITH HIS SWEET TONES THAT ALL WILL BE OKAY.  YES, ALL WILL BE OKAY.  EVEN AS THE LIGHT STARTS TO FADE AND THE SOUNDS OF BATTLE GROW SOFTER IN TONE, WONDERPUG'S SOOTHING VOICE IS ALWAYS THERE TO PLEASANTLY GUIDE US INTO THE AFTERLIFE OF RESPAWNING.), I'm sorry to say that I haven't played enough with you to be able to pick your voice out of a room. 

Edited for sissypants feeling left out.   icon_wink

Belated lol  Was just looking for the old post with the maps that Hark marked up and saw this edit for the first time.

Anyhow,

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 14, 2009, 07:42:02 PM

Well that's hard to do as I don't know the maps yet Tongue
Here's a link to the maps with boom boom die die spots marked. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 14, 2009, 08:15:21 PM »

I don't find that there is so much camping in HC because once everyone learned the maps they knew where people would hide. For example, there is usually someone lying down at the top of the steps on Castle, so you have to be careful approaching it. There's likely to be someone in Hark's window on Airfield. There's likely to be someone in Hellspawn's hideaway or on the airplane wing on Cliffside. Knowing these things, I approach those areas very carefully so I don't get shot, but I also check them out to see if I can get a kill. Once people know they can't stay somewhere indefinitely, they start to move.

But damn, you really can sit behind the fence on Makin for a long time sometimes.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 14, 2009, 09:42:29 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 14, 2009, 07:50:38 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 14, 2009, 07:36:12 PM

Do you earn XP faster in regular games?  I never really paid enough attention to notice.

Well, I think it's faster as I'm not getting killed by hark every 7 seconds which gives me more time to kill others.

Because I can,
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 15, 2009, 01:41:13 PM »

Camping in hardcore depends on the skill of the players in the room. More experienced players know where the camping spots are, and most of those spots can be attacked several different ways. Other times with relatively inexperienced players and I can sit in a single spot for the entire match without them figuring out where I am or even how to get to me.

I like to try and find some high traffic area and sit there to pick people off. Usually I'm in the open, or sitting in the middle of a room, but with betties I'm usually able to stop people from sneaking up behind me.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 01:43:33 PM by msteelers » Logged

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: January 15, 2009, 09:32:57 PM »

true camping is a skill you need to develop, and to paraphrase kenny 'beadface', you need to know when to hold on to them, and know when to fold and run.  as msteelers points out, all the really good camping spots are known, and it's up to you to either secure them with betties, change it up a bit by being just off the usual spot, or be willing to relocate if the enemy knows you are there and makes a concerted effort to get you. 

the power of a good camp spot is offset by the knowledge once everyone knows you are there.  there are some maps where it's really easy to relocate from decent spots (seelow, church tower in outskirts, shady grass in makin and courtyard) and in that case, it's best to avoid the alternatives unless you know it's clear.  but no spot is unsurmountable, and glitchers tend to be identified pretty quickly, even in HC as it's easy to spot people doing abnormal behavior where a glitch is exploited.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: