http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 11:29:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Weekend World at War - Friday night CoD:WaW  (Read 39578 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2008, 11:44:34 PM »

Ugh, they left the martyrdom perk in?
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2008, 12:56:50 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 13, 2008, 10:17:58 PM

Quote from: skystride on November 13, 2008, 09:19:12 PM

We're trying Bingo Bango Bongo as the new Rama Lama...

I heard that last night and knew right away what it was!  Man it's fun playing with the GTers.

I have been known to put my own little spin on our secret passwords from time to time.   ninja

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2008, 03:31:25 AM »

dangit!  stop making me want a FPS on the 360 that I'll probably stink at because I'll need to use the controller instead of the mouse/keyboard  icon_evil

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2008, 06:21:01 AM »

I thought the same thing CK, obviously you can get used to it slywink

Very frustrating tonight that the game kept deciding that even though we select Hardcore, it wants us to play normal.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2008, 06:44:35 AM »

Yep that was odd. Although even with my hardcore MP-40 suppressor kit I went 12-1 in the last normal mode match.  Felt good and I figured that was a sign that I needed to quit for the night.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2008, 03:51:41 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 17, 2008, 06:44:35 AM

Yep that was odd. Although even with my hardcore MP-40 suppressor kit I went 12-1 in the last normal mode match.  Felt good and I figured that was a sign that I needed to quit for the night.

Interesting.  Usually one-too-many games of going 1-12 indicates to me that I need to call it a night.   icon_wink

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2008, 03:54:48 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 17, 2008, 03:51:41 PM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 17, 2008, 06:44:35 AM

Interesting.  Usually one-too-many games of going 1-12 indicates to me that I need to call it a night.   icon_wink

I hear that!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »

Hellspawn, what exactly did you do when you killed Hark's fresh tank in one attack?  Was it two satchel charges and the fireworks perk, or can it be done with less than that?

Oh, and good good times over the weekend everyone.  I'm still getting used to handling a faster paced shooter with console controls, but it felt good to find myself on the top half of the rankings on at least a couple rounds. 

One of the rounds on Courtyard last night was particularly fun.  I finally felt like I knew my way around the map well enough to get into psychological warfare instead of just being generally lost and having to react to situations thrust upon me.

I think the maps are a bit harder for me to learn overall compared to small somewhat linear maps like in Valve shooters, or the simpler layouts of the large but straightforward Battlefield maps.  Most CoD5 maps seem more like big places that you happen to be fighting in.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »

I like to go out on a good note, if it isn't winning the round, at least ending with a positive K/d.  It was also getting late and most people were done for the night.

Map knowledge is a huge factor in World at War, much like it was in COD4.  The difference between getting shot every two seconds and killing someone every two seconds can be as simple as who's played the map more.

Cliffside still gives me a ton of problems, I frequently get shot from what feels like nowhere. Usually seems like if I move I get gunned down by someone on the other side of the map, if I hold still someone will spawn behind me, or just run up behind me.

All in all I had a pretty good night last night. It was fun to have 10-11 of 12 players being GT'rs.  Was occasionally a bit rough on the non-partied side.  And of course who can forget poor mcnasty the 'outsider'.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2008, 04:59:45 PM »

lol shasty mcnasty
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2008, 08:06:36 PM »

eh, when i logged in to play this everybody was already in gow2.  and only a handful too.  maybe i'll get better luck finding you guys next time. 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2008, 08:34:26 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 17, 2008, 08:06:36 PM

eh, when i logged in to play this everybody was already in gow2.  and only a handful too.  maybe i'll get better luck finding you guys next time. 
When was this?  We've had 6-7 people on every weeknight so far, that many for most of the day on Saturday and Sunday, and yesterday night we had 11-12 on at once.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2008, 08:48:15 PM »

saturday night.  PST, so i may have missed the east-coasters.  either that or i don't have a large list of people who were playing it.  i played a few hours of sp instead, so no biggie. 

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2008, 09:06:55 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 17, 2008, 08:48:15 PM

saturday night.  PST, so i may have missed the east-coasters.  either that or i don't have a large list of people who were playing it.  i played a few hours of sp instead, so no biggie. 

Harkonis seems to be the current ringleader.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2008, 09:24:51 PM »

Seems odd you would have missed us.  I've been playing until 4am EST every night for about 4 nights smile

My xbox died this morning. frown
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2008, 09:28:47 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 17, 2008, 09:24:51 PM

Seems odd you would have missed us.  I've been playing until 4am EST every night for about 4 nights smile

Oh snap!
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2008, 09:33:38 PM »

icon_frown

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2008, 09:37:23 PM »

damn dude, that sucks. 

when i hopped on sat night, i saw maybe 4 or 5 people, and nobody playing cod. 

i need the practice anyhow.  my short stint in mp was mostly just me learning the ropes again.  my ratio was below .50 the whole time, but it didn't get much time due to fallout though.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2008, 11:38:04 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 17, 2008, 09:24:51 PM

In honor of Harkonis' 360 becoming a casualty of war(games), I suggest that when we can get 7 of us together, we mourn its passing with a 21-gun salute.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2008, 06:21:09 PM »

how do you guys find each other? is this Xbox people only?

A new one
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2008, 06:55:13 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 18, 2008, 06:21:09 PM

how do you guys find each other? is this Xbox people only?

Yeah most people here are talking Xbox and we are on each other's friends lists.
Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2008, 02:00:33 AM »

I'm playing on PS3.

PSN: grueslayer.

I suck, just like in COD4.  I was hoping my suckiness was because of the era (modern combat) and not my skills.  Unfortunately, that's not the case.  I suck in the WWII era as well. 
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2008, 05:48:38 AM »

I'm playing PC... tokek is playing PC... our names are as they are here.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2008, 05:52:21 AM »

The next step in internet gaming is to get the developers to allow everyone to play together, regardless of platform...

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2008, 07:07:48 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 19, 2008, 05:52:21 AM

The next step in internet gaming is to get the developers to allow everyone to play together, regardless of platform...

yeah, wasnt that one of the selling points on Microsfot live?? I distinctly remember Shadowrun boasting this, or am I completely wrong?

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2008, 08:31:05 AM »

PC gamers were not very receptive to the allowances for console controls in cross-platform gaming.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2008, 03:27:51 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 19, 2008, 08:31:05 AM

PC gamers were not very receptive to the allowances for console controls in cross-platform gaming.

And here I would think that console gamers would feel the mouse and keyboard would add an unfair advantage. 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 19, 2008, 03:27:51 PM

And here I would think that console gamers would feel the mouse and keyboard would add an unfair advantage. 

I wish I could use an analog stick for movement and a mouse for aiming.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2008, 03:34:20 PM »

Just wanted to thank the group for another fun round of COD MP last night.  It has been a while since I last really enjoyed MP gaming and it's nice to back to playing again.  Although tonight my efforts may be focused more on creating the most fabulous avatar than playing COD MP.  Fabulous

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2008, 03:37:34 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 19, 2008, 03:27:51 PM

that's pretty much what happened.  Because mouse control was allowing faster response time, they capped the speed that mouse users could turn at to make them more comparable to pad users.  The PC people were up in arms bitching about it.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2008, 03:38:22 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 19, 2008, 03:34:20 PM

Just wanted to thank the group for another fun round of COD MP last night.  It has been a while since I last really enjoyed MP gaming and it's nice to back to playing again.  Although tonight my efforts may be focused more on creating the most fabulous avatar than playing COD MP.  Fabulous

Even an avatar worthy of PeteRock's name shouldn't take you more than a few moments. smile
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2008, 01:08:31 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 19, 2008, 03:38:22 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 19, 2008, 03:34:20 PM

Even an avatar worthy of PeteRock's name shouldn't take you more than a few moments. smile

this is pete we're talking about.  i expect a fully unique avatar which evokes the fabulosity of peterock in ways no one imagined. 

btw, i saw you log on last night.  did you get a new 360 or did the rrod turn out to be a one time glitch?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »

new 360.

frustrating starting the repair process because microsoft always insists that my address doesn't exist.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2008, 02:00:36 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 20, 2008, 12:51:10 PM

new 360.

frustrating starting the repair process because microsoft always insists that my address doesn't exist.

If the customer service rep seems particularly gullible, try and convince him that you don't exist.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2008, 02:12:48 PM »

heh, on the first 360 I returned I just sent it to my parent's house.  It's pretty far away though and I don't want to do it again.  The second one I had a supervisor override the computer and they sent it to my 'non-existing' address just fine.  This time I told the guy about having a supervisor override it and he said they can do that but still need a valid address.  We went in circles for too long and I told him I'm not giving him another address and they just need to override it like last time.  The idiot wouldn't transfer me or stop talking in cirlces so I hung up.  too much of a headache for the moment. 

I hate stupid first tier customer support that doesn't even speak English well.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2008, 03:28:16 PM »

Looking forward to trying out the Reconnaissance perk.

It shows tanks, artillery strike positions, and dogs as small red/green dots on the map.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2008, 03:57:23 PM »

I had fun playing with the group last night, even despite my taking of Harkonis's name in vain.  ninja  Although at the end of the night I started to lose interest as I kept being placed on the opposite team against Jarrodhk, Owain, and perhaps a few others, and I have much more fun playing with friends in a room of strangers rather than against them.  But I had no idea how to organize things so that we'd be on the same team rather than split against each other.  I simply quietly completed the last round we played together and backed out of the lobby as I just didn't really feel like playing on a team of racist strangers anymore.

On a side note, I'm still chuckling about my exchange with Fuzz last night.  At one point I spawned near a building and saw a person with his back to me hiding on a catwalk establishing position to snipe enemies.  As he had his back to me he had no idea I was there.  But, given my struggles with accidental team kills over the past few days I made it a point to be absolutely sure I wasn't about to kill a teammate.  So I waited with him in my sights for at least 10 seconds to verify whether he was a friendly or an enemy.  After 10 long seconds a name still didn't appear above my target either in blue or red, and normally if a name doesn't appear after that much time it's usually an enemy, so I took that to mean I could go "weapons free" and gunned down an unsuspecting enemy, taking out a dangerous sniper and saving a number of my teams lives.

Not only did I quickly discover that I killed yet another teammate by accident, but I killed Fuzzball.  And within seconds I was greeted with, "Motherfucker!  WHAT!  THE!  FUCK!  Fucking team-killed again!  FUCK!  Man, what.  The.  Fuck."

To which I kindly responded, "I fucking waited ten fucking seconds for a name to appear over your fucking head and even after waiting that fucking long no fucking name appeared.  What the fuck was I supposed to do, fucking wait for the fucking enemy to turn around and fucking kill me?  So it was a fucking accident and I even fucking tried to verify if you were a fucking teammate and your fucking name never appeared.  How the fuck was I to know?  I'm fucking sorry."

After a moment of uncomfortable silence throughout the entire team we then all started to laugh together.  I'm not sure that anyone was anticipating quite the colorful banter.   ninja

icon_lol

It's all good, Fuzz.  It's all good.   icon_biggrin

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2008, 04:10:32 PM »

I think the names not appearing doesn't have to do with a time duration; they don't appear if there's any kind of significant obstacle* obscuring the view of the player.

*significant obstacles include single cherry blossom petals and fallen eyelashes.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2008, 04:16:29 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 20, 2008, 04:10:32 PM

I think the names not appearing doesn't have to do with a time duration; they don't appear if there's any kind of significant obstacle* obscuring the view of the player.

*significant obstacles include single cherry blossom petals and fallen eyelashes.

This is correct, and part of why uniform identification is going to be important
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2008, 04:30:46 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 20, 2008, 04:16:29 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on November 20, 2008, 04:10:32 PM

This is correct, and part of why uniform identification is going to be important

But the uniforms are so drab.

Perhaps if the color schemes were a bit more fabulous I'd have less trouble identifying friends versus foes:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: