http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 03:58:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Madden '09 Online League  (Read 7563 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 08:36:08 PM »

I've been playing for about an hour the last couple of nights, but I am on the east coast so I am probably off before you are on. I am playing horribly, so it is probably for the best.  My Madden IQ dropped below 500 during last night's game although it managed to crawl back up to 500 by the end. I am determined to make this the year I finally "get" Madden. I love football, and I understand all the basic concepts and terms, but it seems to really enjoy Madden you need to understand the details.  For example, I know the difference between "strong side" and "weak side", and the difference between "the flat" and "underneath", but I couldn't tell you the difference between a Cover 2 and a Cover 3, and how to react when you see one or other. So I'm usually just running plays with no real understanding of why they went wrong or right.  So I broke down and bought my first ever strategy guide - it's not everything I could have hoped for (a lot of it is team-specific, they leave out the actual button names to be generic for all versions and some of the pictures are so small as to be useless), but it has descriptions of all the offensive and defensive play types, info on how to recognize them and recommendations on when to use them. So I am digesting a little bit each day and I am going to go into practice mode and set up against various defensive formations and see how they look and react. Hopefully I will not feel too frustrated trying to learn in all and wind up giving it up.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2008, 10:06:42 PM »

It seems I will probably be online tonight as a friend just canceled our plans to shoot pool and have a few beers after work.  His fear of my pool game is painfully evident.  I may play a bit of Mass Effect, but I'm always up for a game or five of Madden.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2008, 05:46:48 AM »

I'm going to impose a hard deadline of 9 p.m. CST on Sunday, 9/14 to get this league initiated.  We stand at 9 teams at the moment.  Reminders were sent to all who expressed interest previously as stated on 9/10. 

This will give everyone eight games, one each against each opponent before rolling into a playoff, which I assume will be 4 teams.

Anyone else who is interested is free to join regardless of not being on the list previously. If you know of anyone else that is interested, have them review the list of available teams and join up.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2008, 03:43:02 PM »

After further review, there appears to be no such thing as a "start" to the league.  For all who are in, please feel free to begin scheduling games against your opponents.  You will play everyone else in the league once.  I do not know how starting games will affect the ability of others to join (assuming anyone still does), but again, this will be a good test run to see how well these work.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2008, 03:46:54 AM »

The league is under way.  Game 1 was a rousing game in the rain and an 18 mph wind in Buffalo (me) against the New Jersey :wink: Giants (IkeVandergraaf).  Buffalo ceded the early lead to the Giants, holding them to a field goal, then answering with one of their own.  On a later drive, Buffalo imploded by giving up two sacks, driving them out of field goal range, having to punt into the wind, and compounding a bad punt with a 15 yard punt interference call.  These factors compounded to allow the Giants to drive for a touchdown.  Buffalo finished off the first half at the Giants 2 and failing at a fake field goal attempt, trying for the tie rather than the easy points.  10-3 at the half.

In the second half, Buffalo came out and drove the field to score twice, making the score to 17-10 with 4:17 to go in the game.  The Giants came out firing, driving the field slowly, eating up the clock.  With less than a minute remaining, Manning fired to the corner of the end zone, looking for the tie.  The defense had keyed on Toomer and managed their only pick of the game to preserve the lead for Buffalo.  As the Giants had all three time outs remaining, Buffalo went to the ground game to good effect, getting two first downs to run out the clock. 

The game went down to the wire.  The passing game was a circus due to the high winds, with a number of leaping catches. 

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2008, 11:48:26 AM »

It was definitely a fun game, but I need to practice. I'm not working these days so my schedule is pretty open during the day, but I'm usually busy in the evenings. I think tonight I may be staying in, if anyone is interested in getting a game in. 

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2008, 04:54:27 AM »

I went up against Gumps (Buffalo vs. Minnesota) tonight.  It certainly wasn't about ball control, what with 9 turnovers taking the form of both interceptions (one of which went goal line to goal line for the first score of the game for Gumps) and fumbles (one of which was returned 65 yards by Buffalo, stopped short of a TD by being run down from behind by Adrian Peterson).

There were 4 attempts on 4th downs, the one for Buffalo on 4th and 1 after a failed 3rd and 1 resulted in a TD through an uncovered WR.  Minnesota converted 2 of 3.  One of these was a 1 yd Adrian Peterson run.  The failed attempt resulted in a Buffalo interception to be spotted at the 1 yard line.

All in all, a hard fought game that came down to mistakes (Buffalo +1 on turnovers) and clock management, as Buffalo made the go ahead score with less than a minute to play in the game. 

Adrian Peterson was the top rusher with 64 yards and 1 TD.  Trent Edwards threw for 263 yards through the air with 2 TDs, 3 picks, and a 78.1 QB rating.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2008, 01:10:46 PM »

Anyone up for a game today?  I should be around most of the day, and the weather is crappy here.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: