http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:15:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Madden '09 Online League  (Read 7453 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2008, 04:24:55 AM »

{Cross-posted on OO}

I want one. I want one bad enough that I might actually figure out how to run it myself.

I'm being pseudo-evicted by my apartment complex on the 16th due to some foundation issues, so I would say given my forced move and familiarization with the game, I would like to have a league running by August 31st.  Who's with me?

X-Box Tag: Hadron Smasher

Buffalo Bills - Isgrimnur
Miami Dolphins
New England Patriots - Kelric
New York Jets

Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals - wc furious
Cleveland Browns - denoginizer
Pittsburgh Steelers - The Preacher

Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts - mjtm77
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans

Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs - El Guapo
Oakland Raiders
San Diego Chargers

Dallas Cowboys - Teggy
New York Giants - IkeVandergraaf
Philadelphia Eagles - PeteRock
Washington Redskins - Clanwolfer

Chicago Bears - Big Jake
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers - Captain Caveman
Minnesota Vikings - Tag: SprinkleSprnkle

Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Arizona Cardinals
St. Louis Rams
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 08:20:39 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 04:51:11 PM »

GamerTag:  PhillyPeteRock

As a huge, unexpected turn of events, I'd prefer to play as the Philadelphia Eagles.   ninja 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 05:07:25 PM »

Me, please (even though I will go 0-16, no doubt). I'd like Dallas if possible.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:27:07 PM »

The Big question is, what's the talent level in the league?  I am actaully considering picking up Madden, and I would probably love to be in a league, but I will probably be bad enough to turn the Patriots into the Lions.  If everyone else is fine with that, I would be interested.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 05:33:54 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on August 11, 2008, 05:27:07 PM

The Big question is, what's the talent level in the league?  I am actaully considering picking up Madden, and I would probably love to be in a league, but I will probably be bad enough to turn the Patriots into the Lions.  If everyone else is fine with that, I would be interested.

This is what I had to say about it over at OO:

If you're concerned about your own skill level and how it may compare to more seasoned veterans, perhaps my own approach to the game may help you to better understand the tone I expect this league to have. I've been playing Madden for almost 10 years. But unlike the obnoxious players you see in the Madden tournaments on ESPN2, I play Madden as if it were a real game of football, and I just play for fun. I despise game exploits, I despise players who use "unstoppable plays" they've discovered, I despise players who go for it on 4th down each and every time, I despise players who go for two after every touchdown to run up the score, I despise players who quickly skip through all of the game's animations just to keep the game going as quickly as possible, I despise players who, when up by 25, with only a few seconds left, continue to go after the endzone for yet one more score even though taking a knee is the right thing to do, I despise players who spend the first 15 minutes of our online session making tweaks all over the place, exchanging players, changing playbooks, adjusting the depth chart, etc. I have played against some really undesirable people online and prefer to only play with friends. Once I played against the Colts and the person in control went for it on 4th and long every single time, he ran the same plays over and over again, he called timeouts simply to be irritating, he went into a hurry-up offense at the end of the 4th quarter when he was up by 30, he went for two after each and every touchdown. People like that ruin any potential enjoyment in an online game. When I play you can expect none of the irritating things I've listed above. And, when it comes to playing a true game of football, I doubt my Madden experience will give me any sort of advantage over you as I just don't play "that way."

I will use the run game to open up the field for my passing attack. I will punt on 4th and long. I will attempt to identify the blitz and adjust my play-calling accordingly. I will call hot routes when I identify a miss-match or a weak spot on the field. I will on occasion use a play-action pass after a few successful running plays hoping the defense will continue to key in on my RB. I will let the game's animations play out as I'd like to maintain the feel of watching and participating in a real football game. I will take a knee at the end of the game to run the clock out and earn a win. I will use a hurry-up offense, call strategic time outs, and try to get out of bounds if it's near the end of the game and I'm down and in need of a score.

If you and I ever play an online game, you can expect me to play a real game of football. No exploits, no "bullsh*t" plays, no 4th and long hail mary passes (unless necessary to come back from a deficit), no "secrets" only veterans would know. Once you get the controls down, as long as you play a reasonable game of football then you'll have a good time. I'm not here to win by any means necessary. I'm here to play football. And have fun. And I have a feeling that the rest of us feel the same way.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't care if you're a novice or a seasoned veteran.  All I want to do is have some fun playing online football with friends from the forum community.  I'll offer input if someone is having difficulty, I'll make suggestions or answer questions if asked, I won't take advantage of a person's inexperience, and you won't ever see me use any kind of "exploit" or "unbeatable play."  You may on occasion see a trick play like a fake punt (my wife's favorite), or an unexpected all-out blitz, but overall I just play to have fun.  I'm not going to run up the score, I'm not going to blitz on every play if you're struggling with the play-calling interface, I'm not going to call timeouts for no reason, and don't be surprised to see me take a knee if it's near the end of the game and I have a lead.  I don't need to run up the score and risk throwing an interception.   

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 05:39:56 PM »

I'm definitely a fan of "straight play", like Pete. As I said, I have always liked Madden, but have never gotten good at it. I'm sure the talent level will be mixed. Waiting until the end of August to start sounds like a great idea, since then we'll have a little time to get comfortable with the game. Heck, maybe I'll finally learn to use hot routes, audibles and defensive shifts.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 05:55:57 PM »

Even though the formal league may not start until the end of August, if anyone is interested in getting some online games under their belt ahead of time, I'm always looking to play.  Football season is here, and so Madden will most likely be the primary game in my 360 until February. 

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 06:17:29 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 11, 2008, 05:55:57 PM

Even though the formal league may not start until the end of August, if anyone is interested in getting some online games under their belt ahead of time, I'm always looking to play.  Football season is here, and so Madden will most likely be the primary game in my 360 until February. 

I should be getting this from Gamefly on Wednesday.  I'm up for taking on your Eagles with my Redskins ASAP!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 06:23:07 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on August 11, 2008, 06:17:29 PM

I should be getting this from Gamefly on Wednesday.  I'm up for taking on your Eagles with my Redskins ASAP!

I thought you were a Chiefs fan?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 06:33:26 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 11, 2008, 06:23:07 PM

I was playing with the Chiefs more because a) the Redskins sucked in all the ESPN NFL games, and b) I was always a big Trent Green fan, ever since he was a Redskin.

Now that the Redskins are good again...all the more reason to use them! smile

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 06:37:53 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on August 11, 2008, 06:33:26 PM

I was playing with the Chiefs more because a) the Redskins sucked in all the ESPN NFL games, and b) I was always a big Trent Green fan, ever since he was a Redskin.

Cool.  I remember you used to be nasty with Priest Holmes in 2K5.

(BTW I always thought the Redskins were better than the Chiefs in 2K5.  Very underrated defense. )

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 07:29:25 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 11, 2008, 06:37:53 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on August 11, 2008, 06:33:26 PM

Cool.  I remember you used to be nasty with Priest Holmes in 2K5.

(BTW I always thought the Redskins were better than the Chiefs in 2K5.  Very underrated defense. )

I needed to be nasty with Priest Holmes in 2K5 to make up for the lousy Chiefs defense!

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 07:50:27 PM »

I've got puppy school with the dogs on Wednesday and the Eagles play Carolina in a nationally-televised preseason game on Thursday, but I might be up for a game or two by about the third quarter when the backups to the backups come in.  By that point I will have seen everything I've been wondering about. 

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 11:59:04 PM »

I'm definetely in, I should be receiving my xbox back on the 15th.

I'd like the niners smile
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 05:52:26 AM »

OK, I'm IN.  I'll take Da Bears.  With their No Receivers and Orton/Grossman QB combo.  However, I believe the new Curtis Martin is in the backfield for the Bears (It certainly looked like it against the Chefs last week).  And In video game years, I believe Urlacher is still only 27, and Mike Brown is theoretically healthy.  Tongue

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 03:01:01 AM »

List moved to top post.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 07:49:52 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »

I assume because denoginizer has participated in this thread that he, too, plans on joining our league.  If so, I know from an "inside source" within his organization that his preference is to play as the Cleveland Browns. 

But don't allow his team allegiance to fool you.  Bastard somehow managed to turn the Browns into an unstoppable force.  I had to resort to playing pr0ner last night as a confidence rebuilder.   icon_wink  And it certainly worked.   icon_cool

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »

Also, does anyone have a good handle on how exactly the league system works?  I haven't explored with it much, but I'm wondering if we should try a test-run with a handful of willing participants to iron out any potential kinks before our formal season starts (four players should make for a quick season).  Isgrimnur, are you planning to host the league yourself, or are you only handling logistics at the moment and haven't given much thought to who the "commissioner" will be? 

I'm actually considering assembling some of my old Madden rivals (Jancelot, KeySJU, pr0ner, and maybe denoginizer) to put together a small league to test out the system and familiarize ourselves with how it all works so that when it comes time for the formal league to kick off at the end of the month we don't have to waste any time experimenting or risk running into unforeseen problems.  That way, while the "official" league fills up with participants we can work on troubleshooting by toying around in a "mini-league". 

Willing trouble-shooters can either send me a PM or post in here and keep in mind that we'll all be figuring things out at first, so don't expect a perfect exerience from the start.  This is for the good of the league.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 03:32:19 PM »

At this point, I have no clue.  Due to my forced move, my system has been living at a friend's house.  I bought the game and immediately dropped it off over there, didn't even crack the seal.  I can certainly play Commissioner if need be, but if someone definitely is comfortable in the job, I have no issues with someone else running it.  A test league next week is a great idea. 

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 04:30:03 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 15, 2008, 02:44:08 PM

I assume because denoginizer has participated in this thread that he, too, plans on joining our league.  If so, I know from an "inside source" within his organization that his preference is to play as the Cleveland Browns. 

But don't allow his team allegiance to fool you.  Bastard somehow managed to turn the Browns into an unstoppable force.  I had to resort to playing pr0ner last night as a confidence rebuilder.   icon_wink  And it certainly worked.   icon_cool

I'd be happy to join with the Browns.  They actually have a very nice offense in the game this year.

I am in a few online leagues at some other sites and I would advise waiting a few weeks to start because there are a few glitches in the system right now.  The NCAA online dynasties had a few problems at the beginning too, but they have been sorted out with patches.  I expect the Madden leagues to get the same treatment.

I'd be willing to join the test league and get in some scrimmages.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:48:09 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 07:35:44 PM »

It looks like I will be offline after tonight until Tuesday night when the cable guy can get to me.  Play nice in the interim.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 02:54:27 PM »

Well, I tried setting up a "test" league over the weekend, and while everything seemed to work okay with the initial setup, now it seems to no longer exist.   icon_confused  Whenever I try to log in I get an error that reads, "Unable to satisfy search results."  Ooooookay.

So, we unfortunately haven't been able to test the online league mode yet.  We at least still have some time until the end of August when the "official" league is scheduled to begin.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 07:10:48 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 18, 2008, 02:54:27 PM

Well, I tried setting up a "test" league over the weekend, and while everything seemed to work okay with the initial setup, now it seems to no longer exist.   icon_confused  Whenever I try to log in I get an error that reads, "Unable to satisfy search results."  Ooooookay.

So, we unfortunately haven't been able to test the online league mode yet.  We at least still have some time until the end of August when the "official" league is scheduled to begin.

The leagues have been down since Sat night.  Rumor is they are adding web based support.

I am a member of a league at another site and so far I like what I see.  The leagues seem pretty solid.  They include a nice lobby for finding other members online, a nice trading and stats interface, and even the ability to set your lineups for league games. The main things I'd like to see added are the ability to access the league though a web browser (hopefully this week) , customizable schedules, and slider support.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 03:32:05 PM »

I will probably pick this up later today.  If I do, and this is still going forward, I will be in as the World Champion New York Football Giants.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 03:55:43 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on August 21, 2008, 03:32:05 PM

Blah blah blah New York Football Giants.

Don't be a dick.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 09:57:36 PM »

Here is a EA tutorial video about leagues.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 02:06:17 AM »

BOUGHTEN!  In.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
wc furious
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 09:03:55 PM »

hey all, just found this topic after trying to find an online madden 09 league.  I'm reading the comments posted and finding that I seem to have found the right place. 

I love the game, and the strategy involved in it.  I'll mix up my defense, show blitz and back off into coverage, mix up man to man and zone and play off or tight to the receivers...it's different on every play depending on the situation.  I'm a pocket passer, I hate passing on the run or running 30 yards backwards to heave it up the field.  I mix up the run and the pass, using play action, but just when I feel I can pull it off and I want to play this game with likeminded people who enjoy it for the game, not just to run the same three plays and blitzing every play. 

If you're still doing this and have room for me as the Bengals, I'm all in

xbox 360 user name:   wc furious (with the space in between)

Just picked up this game last week and I've barely had a chance to play it but loving it when I do
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 04:21:05 AM »

The league has been set up as 'OO GT League', abbreviation is OOGT.  I can't locate int from a search on my end, but I'm hoping that has to do with my ownership.  I sent invites through the game for anyonw that's on my friends list (hint, hint) that expressed interest, but I haven't received any responses to know if they went through.

mjtm77
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 03:01:08 AM »

ill take colts gamer tag oline is mjtm77
mjtm77
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 03:02:55 AM »

ill take colts gamertag mjtm77

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 12:25:35 AM »

El Guapo has confirmed that he could find the league by an abbreviation search of 'OOGT'  For any of you that still own the title ... come on in.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 12:51:59 AM »

OK, I joined. Now all I have to do is practice...

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 06:15:14 PM »

Oops.  Haven't checked this thread in a while.  I'll take a look today.

Gamertag = IkeV
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »

BTW, something that is not in this thread is that the password is "outlander".  I had to go looking at OO to figure that out.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 11:46:36 PM »

If anyone is available tonight I'd love to get in a game of Madden.  I'm indifferent if it has anything to do with the league, but it would be nice to test out my new wireless mic and burn off some steam from an absolutely atrocious day.  If anyone has had to let an employee go, not for budget cuts, but for poor performance, you may understand my emotional exhaustion from a long, drawn-out, uncomfortable day.  Especially when the employee becomes argumentative and accusatory.  I could use a cold beer and a nice game of video game football with friends.  Hopefully I'll catch someone online tonight.  Cheers.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 04:30:06 PM »

Sorry about the lapse in password posting.

I'm going to send out a bunch of PMs to everyone on the list and see if we can't get this thing off the ground and started by the weekend.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 11:40:01 PM »

Messages sent out through XBL, not as Madden league invites, to all who haven't joined it yet.

Abbreviation: OOGT
Password: outlander

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »

Ok, I'm signed up.  Now what?

Pete, I didn't see your post the other day, but I'd love to play a game with you sometime.  We still owe each other a game from last year if I recall correctly.  Also, you could show me how to wager a trophy, since Calvin and I still can't figure that out.

Gamertag = IkeV
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 04:14:38 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on September 11, 2008, 03:54:35 PM

Pete, I didn't see your post the other day, but I'd love to play a game with you sometime.  We still owe each other a game from last year if I recall correctly.  Also, you could show me how to wager a trophy, since Calvin and I still can't figure that out.

That past few nights there haven't been many people online.  Last night I played a couple of games with Isgrimnur and while Madden clearly has issues, he and I enjoy chatting and playing a fun game of football.  His catch-phrase for questionable plays has become, "Are you serious."  I can only imagine the accompanying expression looks something like:   disgust    I've wagered a trophy while messing around in single-player, but I haven't looked into how to do it online.  I'll see what I can figure out and perhaps we can get a game in tonight or sometime over the weekend.  And we'll put some hardware on the line.   icon_cool   

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: