http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 10:26:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zonealarm ate my internet... AND explorer.exe  (Read 2562 times)
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2004, 08:22:35 AM »

Here's the dilly:

I installed ZA free version and ran it successfully for a bit over a day. Suddenly, it starts randomly cutting off all internet access. Sometimes it comes back, other times I have to reboot to get it back. I know it's zonealarm because shutting it off fixes the problem instantly.

Now, today I finish a game of counter-strike, pop out, start browsing through a forum when bam, suddenly it doesn't work again. No internet. I hit shutdown zonealarm... and it locks up my PC. I waited about 5 minutes, then tried to cntrl+alt+delete to bring up the task manager, nada. I was just staring at my desktop. I could move my mouse around, but not do anything. Wee, frozen explorer.

So I eventually give up trying stuff and hit the power button. I reboot, login, but when it goes back to windows my wallpaper appears and then it just stops. Nothing there. Again, I can move my mouse, but not bring up task manager, and there's no desktop icons or taskbar. Again, borked explorer.

I power off and reboot into safe-mode. Again, mouse but no taskbar or desktop icons. No task manager. I power off, and reboot into safe mode with command prompt.

BINGO. It does the same old routine, but the command prompt does still pop up as usual. I type in explorer.exe and it starts it up just like it's suppose to. Woopie.

I open zonealarm and disable it's "run zonealarm on startup" option. Shutdown, reboot, login, and windows works perfectly.  I'm at a complete loss. I can't find anything about zonealarm doing this to anybody else.

Does anybody know what I can do to fix it, or if there's an equivalent free firewall program that's just as effective? And here's an even better question.. do I even need a software firewall? My router has a "commercial grade, built-in SPI firewall with NAT to help protect against unauthorized access".  That's from the box, of course.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 01:30:45 PM »

Personally, ever since I got my router, I disabled Zonealarm for good. It caused more and more hassles the more things I did with it.

Just keep WinXP updated, don't use IE (to prevent things auto-installing via their 'features), and run Adaware/Spybot every month or so, and most people have absolutely nothing to worry about.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 02:21:01 PM »

I completely agree with Destructor. The best firewall is a router (~$30). I've never been a fan of software firewalls, for the reasons you describe, ThinJ. Plus the constant harrasment ... "215.83.46.192 is scanning port 2193" every 5 minutes, or "superdongle.dll is requesting outbound access.. allow?" how the hell should i know?! smile

My PC security regimen is:

hardware firewall.
Firefox over IE
WinXP updates
F-Prot A/V (which i don't even run as a TSR, I just scan incoming files manually)

I never get spyware, never get viruses, and never get hacked.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 03:14:30 PM »

Thanks guys. I'll just kill Zonealarm then and not worry about it.

Just means there's yet another process I don't have running in the background biggrin

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Boxcar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 06:06:58 PM »

Slightly off-topic, but one thing I like about Zone Alarm is its ability to detect (and prevent, if desired) outbound traffic. I've found several programs that try to access the internet without my knowledge, and it's probably benign but I like to control that sort of thing (it's my computer, after all). Can a hardware router limit or control outgoing traffic?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 09:26:58 PM »

Quote from: "Boxcar"
Slightly off-topic, but one thing I like about Zone Alarm is its ability to detect (and prevent, if desired) outbound traffic. I've found several programs that try to access the internet without my knowledge, and it's probably benign but I like to control that sort of thing (it's my computer, after all). Can a hardware router limit or control outgoing traffic?

That is the one thing I really miss about ZoneAlarm.  So many programs trying to go out on the internet for some reason.  I miss the feature, but I don't want to play with ZA just to know.

Don't know if you can block outbound traffic with your router, at least from a specific program (or allowing only one).

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 05:26:42 AM »

I had similar problems with Zonealarm on my old rig.  I switched to Sygate Personal Firewall (free) and have had no problems since.  It also appears to use fewer resources.  I recommend it.

http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 07:53:03 PM »

The outbound traffic monitoring is what I mainly use ZA for on my machines.    Coupled with a NAT router, I can lock down as many apps as I feel is necessary.  

Never had a problem in all the years I've had it installed.
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 02:04:23 PM »

I have been using Kerio Personal Firewall. It seems to be more stable and it has pretty much the same features.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 06:17:33 PM »

I too have used Zone Alarm for the past 2-3 years and have never had a problem with it.
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 07:53:49 PM »

I recently got myself a laptop and good grief does Win XP SP2's firewall HATE Zonealarm!  I told XP to turn off the windows firewall, but apparently that's not good enough for old Bill since as soon as I installed ZA I started to get the wonderful BSOD!  

It turns out that you have to check a wee box at the bottom of the win Security Manager firewall preferences that tells it to stop monitoring for a firewall (???)  Now it works as flawlessly as ever.

Stupid Windows.  Yay ZA!

I also have a hardware firewall, but I like to know what's trying to escape from my computer too.  Call me paranoid smile
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 07:54:29 PM »

Quote from: "Falator"
I have been using Kerio Personal Firewall. It seems to be more stable and it has pretty much the same features.

I second the use of Kerio...Not only does it warn of outbound/inbound traffic but it also warns you if an application is launching!  Which was great to help stop "unintended" installs.
Fishbelly
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 10:08:26 PM »

Zone Alarm stopped working right for me after the latest update--I often couldn't connect to the net, and it "cleared up" every time as soon as I'd turn off ZA.  I switched to Kerio as others have mentioned, and it's worked flawlessly for me.

I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

Woody Allen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: