http://gamingtrend.com
November 21, 2014, 07:26:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another reason to avoid Vista  (Read 7667 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2008, 03:40:30 PM »

MS to sell XP until 2010-ish.

But the kicker is the next to last paragraph which states:

Dix said Microsoft is grappling with how to serve a broader range of PC configurations than Vista does as it designs the next operating system, currently referred to as Windows 7 and set for launch in 2010.

So why do I need to upgrade to Vista when XP Pro works just fine for me and the next Windows version comes out in two years or so? icon_cool

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 04:22:33 PM »

You don't need to upgrade, unless you want DX-10 between now and then. Easy choice.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 03:51:14 PM »

I don't see how this is good.  XP Home sucks.

Also... Vista isn't as bad as everyone tries to say, the problem is just with a lot of their third party drivers.  Last time I checked, Linux had a lot of issues with poor driver support as well.

Also also... Windows 7 will probably be out next year.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 04:42:08 PM »

*tuneless whistle*
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 04:55:25 PM »

I keep running XP because I don't have any need to change.

I don't need to spend the money and go through the hassle of installing and debugging it on three desktop systems.

Long live XP!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 02:24:46 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 05, 2008, 04:42:08 PM

I really don't get this.  This guy essentially takes 2K8, doesn't use any of the server roles, turns on all the stuff that Vista has anyway, and enables Hyper-V for virtualization.  2K8 and Vista SP1 share a large amount of code, including most of the core components, so 2K8 probably isn't going to be much more stable or reliable than Vista if at all.  They are going to suffer many of the same strengths and weaknesses.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 03:07:23 AM »

You know who Brendan is, right?

Also, I`d like to see some sources when we talk about Vista=2K8. If SP1 changes it to be like 2K8 that would make sense.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 06:01:30 AM »

Quote from: egrudzin on April 06, 2008, 02:24:46 AM

I really don't get this.  This guy essentially takes 2K8, doesn't use any of the server roles, turns on all the stuff that Vista has anyway, and enables Hyper-V for virtualization.  2K8 and Vista SP1 share a large amount of code, including most of the core components, so 2K8 probably isn't going to be much more stable or reliable than Vista if at all.  They are going to suffer many of the same strengths and weaknesses.

There're far fewer services/components running on a WS08 install - even with the Desktop Experience installed - than a typical Vista install.  There're certainly things you'd be missing (like hibernate support if you enable virtualization - argh!), but the reduced surface area is a plus overall with respect to performance and servicing.
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 03:19:33 PM »

I still never use hibernate.  Power save features never seem to ever work properly.

Here is one question maybe somebody knows- in Vista or Windows Home Server, if you are using Media Center and the PC is in power save mode, will it wake itself up to record a show it has been programmed to record?
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 03:25:52 PM »

It'll wake from S3 (and possibly S4 - I don't recall) to record.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 04:21:43 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 06, 2008, 03:07:23 AM

You know who Brendan is, right?

No. Please enlighten me.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 04:30:46 PM »

I work on Windows.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 04:39:46 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 06, 2008, 04:30:46 PM

I work on Windows.

I figgered as much. You seem knowledgable from just what I've seen in this thread. Glad to have an expert hanging around!!

I work on windows too, but my tools are Windex and a towel.  icon_biggrin

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 04:42:29 PM »

Unfortunately, you've just reminded me that I need to do some housecleaning this morning - thanks, PaulBot, thanks.  Morning ruined!   crybaby
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 04:44:24 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 06, 2008, 04:42:29 PM

Unfortunately, you've just reminded me that I need to do some housecleaning this morning - thanks, PaulBot, thanks.  Morning ruined!   crybaby

Just ignore me like everyone else does. I didn't see you here.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 03:49:34 AM »

Funny...the only thing that gives me problems in Vista is The Witcher.  Everything else has been pretty darn stable.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 01:28:52 PM »

ASUS drivers borked my Vista. They didn't bother to update drivers for the A32N-SLI. I don't blame vista though.

I need to leave ASUS behind; I always get burned by them.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 04:09:16 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 07, 2008, 01:28:52 PM

ASUS drivers borked my Vista. They didn't bother to update drivers for the A32N-SLI. I don't blame vista though.

I need to leave ASUS behind; I always get burned by them.

Same here which is why I went a different route with my motherboard when I rebuilt my rig in October. My issue with Vista though is a simple question - what significant reason would I have to upgrade now, especially since driver issues continue to be an issue, when the next version of Windows is coming down the pipe? It may do a disservice to people like Brendan who work on it, and for that I apologize, but my regard for Vista is the same as that of ME - it's a stop-gap OS between truly significant OS's ala Win 98 and XP. Besides, everything works just fine on my machine up to and including all the games and software I own run smooth as silk. I'm good for now. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 05:20:03 PM »

If you are fine as is, you obviously might not see a significant reason to upgrade.

However, I don't think a new version of Windows is going to significantly change the vendors who make crappy Vista drivers into making good Win7 drivers.  That's why I tend to steer my hardware purchases toward companies with good driver support (like choosing nVidia over ATI, although they both had Vista issues for a while there).

However, if someone were getting a new PC, I'd recommend getting Vista instead.  I wouldn't put it in the same category as WinME by any means- Vista actually is a pretty big improvement over XP (despite my dislike about how a few specific things were redesigned).
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 01:34:16 PM »

Piggybacking this thread!

I just got a new pc(replacing 6 year old amd 2600) with Vista.

So far so good.  I searched in vain for some Vista Tips here.  So anyone got any?  Is there anything(services) I need to turn off?  Any features I need to be taking advantage of I'm not?  All I have done is update it and turn of taplet pc stuff.

morlac00 on PSN
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 03:11:09 PM »

I really like the search feature in Vista, but one thing I noticed is that many vendors pre-install Google Desktop, which is crap compared to Vista's features.

Personally I always uninstall Google Desktop when I'm setting up a PC... for performance, privacy, and security reasons... take your pick.

Anyway, with the new search I almost stop using the start menu entirely, but I've always been more of a CLI guy anyway.  I get a lot of use from the "Run" option in prior versions of Windows.

Oh BTW... reports of a pre-2010 release of Windows 7 are greatly exagerated
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 06:01:43 PM »

Quote from: morlac on April 08, 2008, 01:34:16 PM

Piggybacking this thread!

I just got a new pc(replacing 6 year old amd 2600) with Vista.

So far so good.  I searched in vain for some Vista Tips here.  So anyone got any?  Is there anything(services) I need to turn off?  Any features I need to be taking advantage of I'm not?  All I have done is update it and turn of taplet pc stuff.

Yeah I'd like to know about the non-essential services I can shut down on Vista. Ages ago I had a program made for WinXP that tweaked all the services and settings. Anything like that for Vista yet>?

unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 06:04:48 PM »

Yeah, check out vLite.

However, I think you have to actually burn the install disk, so it's not something you can do after the fact.

There is another one, let me check.  Lifehacker had a good writeup about this last week or the week before.

[edit] ok here we go.  Not so much info on Vista however.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 06:09:32 PM by unbreakable » Logged
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 08:53:17 PM »

* TheAtomicKid whispers Linux64 into everyones ears from behind a nice fireproof bunker... smile

Admittedly, you have to tinker with it... but it's free smile

Atomic

(will be the first to admit, there are definitely benefits to being the most widely used desktop OS, aka windows... among them the fact that most new software/hardware to come out, will probably have a working driver at release, and be coded specifically for said OS :/ )

(but it's still hard to beat free smile )
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 05:51:45 PM »

I'd rather pay for it and not have to tinker thanks.  Plus it came with my new system the so the cost of it is invisible.  Oh and games, I like games. 

morlac00 on PSN
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 06:20:45 PM »

I use my Vista machine for lots of gaming with a very large library of installed games (those from OO may very well be able to attest to exactly how much).  I greatly enjoy the OS, running Ultimate 64-bit.  I have yet to run into any significant problems outside of a handful of games that have 16-bit vs. 64-bit issues and an odd game or two (out of about 350 that are installed).  At this point, I think I can safely say it's just as stable as my XP machine if not perhaps moreso.

My only complaints:
  • Ultimate Extras
This is commonly referred to on many blogs and forums, but it still deserves mention.  I can't really say I feel ripped off as I got the OS for pennies on the dollar from CompUSA's clearance and at least Microsoft has said they're sorry ... sort of.  Still, it was a bit of a sucker punch.
  • lack of customization for Vista Games Explorer
One of the greatest OS inventions for gamers ever, yet it still falls short of so much promise.  Why, for instance, does it collect a full game summary from allgames.com in the registry yet not have it available for perusal?  Why can't you have it as a ready-made link directly from the desktop (yes, there's a workaround, but still...)?  Why can't you hook up screenshots that jump up as mouseovers?  And why-oh-why do I have to use a third party app to add games it doesn't recognize with complete information such as box art, ratings, dev and publisher links, etc.?
[/list]

Still, outside of individual app compatibility issues, I can't see any reason why a gamer would choose XP over Vista when purchasing a new PC.  Heck, even DOSBox runs just fine on it.  As far as upgrading goes, I guess it all depends on the individual as to whether it's worth it or not.  For many I'm sure it isn't, and I'm not going to bother selling anyone on it until I get commission.  But trust me, it is quite nice as long as you have the hardware to run it.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 09:37:47 PM »

Agreed, after using Vista for over 6 months now I would never go back to XP.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 11:19:29 PM »

After using Vista for over 6 months now on a laptop I bought, I see absolutely no reason to "upgrade" my three desktop systems.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 01:15:49 AM »

After using vista-home on my PC for the last 3 months.....I see......I see no reason...no wait....I see no difference between the 2...Yeah, yeah thats it, no difference..

paranoid retard nod

unbreakable
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2008, 06:57:31 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on April 09, 2008, 08:53:17 PM

(but it's still hard to beat free smile )

Actually, Windows and OSX seem to be doing so quite effortlessly  slywink
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2008, 07:42:35 AM »

Yeah yeah, just remember to ask Daddy Gates for permission on your next OS installation smile

My main reason for getting away from windows, combined with the price of admission these days.

Which isn't to say I won't ever go back. I do keenly feel the differences sometimes. Currently fussing with linux 64 and my comment earlier about having to tinker with it is definitely holding up. It runs like a dream, but sometimes getting stuff to run ON it, is 'interesting'.

Atomic
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2008, 06:13:07 PM »

I use linux at work for an oracle server and a web server.  When i leave the office and fire up my home machine, i oftentimes like to play games on it instead of continuing to work during my down time.  next time you're at a store, see how many games on the shelves are sporting a sticker that reads "Games for Linux" as opposed to "Games for Windows".   icon_wink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 10:20:24 PM »

I use Vista at work and XP at home.  I'm very seriously considering putting Vista on my home machine.  I really, really like it.  I don't get what's with all the Vista hate.  People who use it day in and day out seem to like it, from what I know.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2008, 11:48:34 PM »

Vista is a cute bloated pig.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on April 30, 2008, 10:20:24 PM

I use Vista at work and XP at home.  I'm very seriously considering putting Vista on my home machine.  I really, really like it.  I don't get what's with all the Vista hate.  People who use it day in and day out seem to like it, from what I know.

Yep, same. From my personal use and perspective I see no reason not to get Vista, especially if you've recently upgraded your machine.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2008, 08:05:17 PM »

Yep, same. From my personal use and perspective I see no reason not to get Vista, especially if you've recently upgraded your machine.

Most of the hate came from two camps: A) those who were trying to put Vista on older hardware, and then bitching about how it didn't run as well as XP, or B) early adopters who were faced with a lack of developer support in the early going. Unfortunately that was enough "squeaky wheel" to permanently tarnish Vista's reputation.

A) is still true - I would not recommend upgrading to Vista on a machine with less than 2GB RAM and a speedy CPU (1 or 2 year old max). B) is virtually a non-issue nowadays. There are still older apps that never made the transition, but by and large anything relatively current will have Vista support. And even a lot of older stuff will run by putting the executable in Windows XP compatibility mode, something many people don't even know is there.

I've long since given up trying to convince Vista haters otherwise, though. If they want to use an archaic OS like XP, more power to them.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2008, 01:19:15 AM »

See, it's not so much that I have anything *against* Vista.  If I bought a new PC, I'd probably leave it on there.  However, as someone with XP currently installed, I see no reason to install Vista either.  I'd certainly like Windows to be prettier, but it's not worth the reformat effort and possible compatibility issues.

gellar
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2008, 02:39:42 AM »

Quote from: gellar on May 03, 2008, 01:19:15 AM

See, it's not so much that I have anything *against* Vista.  If I bought a new PC, I'd probably leave it on there.  However, as someone with XP currently installed, I see no reason to install Vista either.  I'd certainly like Windows to be prettier, but it's not worth the reformat effort and possible compatibility issues.

No need to format anything - you can do an in-place upgrade.  Ask one of your buddies at MSFT to get you a copy at the company store.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2008, 05:42:50 AM »

gellar

Exactly why my 3 desktop systems don't have Vista. And the fact that I just don't see the need to blow over $100 each.

My laptop came with Vista and it remains on there since it has many enhancements for Tablet PC users.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2008, 06:44:49 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on May 03, 2008, 02:39:42 AM

No need to format anything - you can do an in-place upgrade.  Ask one of your buddies at MSFT to get you a copy at the company store.

In my experience that has never gone well.  It's just not worth the effort at this point in time.

I mean, I'm ALL about pretty (I am an OS X user, afterall), but I just don't want to spend effort getting there.

gellar
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: