http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 09:12:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox dirty disc error  (Read 5290 times)
marcain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2004, 07:00:46 PM »

Almost all of my games (I only purchase new games, no renting) load up with an error saying they're dirty.  

So, I finally called Microsoft tech support and told them the drive wasn't readying new, clean discs.  They explained the process of how to clean the discs myself (WHO KNEW?!?! :shock: ) and when that didn't work, they offered to repair it for me...

For $79.99, not including shipping, etc.  Why don't they just tell you Bill wants you to purchase a new xbox instead of repairing your old one and get it over with!  :roll:

Has anyone replaced their xbox drive?  And did it solve the dirty disc problem?

Thanks.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 07:03:14 PM »

I haven't actually replaced mine, but my friend did replace his Thompson drive (IIRC Thompson are the bad ones), and he hasn't had any trouble at all.  

I'll look for a link to the site with all the drive info.

Go Gunners...
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 07:35:25 PM »

Did you try canned air to blow that puppy out?

I got the dirty disc error once on all my games and blasted it with canned air and it fixed it.  You might want to try that first before paying $80 or even just buying a new DVD drive.

It is like $3 bucks at most stores and once you have a can you will be finding all kinds of things to blow out so it's worth it not just for the Xbox.

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 04:29:41 AM »

Quote from: "Console Games Best Player"
It is like $3 bucks at most stores and once you have a can you will be finding all kinds of things to blow out so it's worth it not just for the Xbox.

Are you kidding, that's how I clean my house!  Just blow everything on the floor and vacuum it up.  I've never used a dust rag!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 03:03:15 PM »

hey marcain,

if none of this works, email me, i have some info on troubleshooting xbox problems...

good luck!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
marcain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 04:44:49 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  (will do, mytocles)

Apparently the xbox drives cost about $80 bucks new so the Microsoft price wasn't all that out of bounds.   I'll prob give the compressed air a shot.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 05:06:32 PM »

Here's a site on xbox repairs, lots of info here:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/repairs.htm

One of the links there is on the dirty disc errors.  MS should be ashamed for charging you for repair, regardless of your warranty status. They know good and well they shipped a faulty product in the Thompson drive.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 04:23:26 AM »

I was lucky enough to have my DDE's start showing up a couple months before my xbox was 12mos old. I called xbox support and because I was still cleared by the manufacturing date, I was still able to buy the extended warranty. I've had to ship it back twice now. First time they did adjustments to the drive, 2nd time they seem to have replaced the hard drive.  The rep I talked to last time told me that if I had any more problems that they would just swap me out for a brand new xbox.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 04:30:24 AM »

When I started getting DDEs a while ago I called MS and they wanted money in order to fix it.  Instead I did some searching and found a place that had sell ads for Philips and Samsung Xbox drives.  I picked up a Philips one for about $45 and haven't had a problem since.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 04:43:59 PM »

Haven't had that problem too much (I still have my launch box), but canned air has done the trick every time.

So far...

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
marcain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 06:01:00 PM »

Well my Xecuter 3 just arrived yesterday so I'll be opening up my Xbox this weekend anyway so I'll prob give this a shot (great link, Jeff).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: