http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 05:09:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would like some input on a system I'm looking at  (Read 1041 times)
Ragnarok
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2006, 02:40:51 AM »

I'm replacing my aging system and am having a shop put one together for me(don't want to build my first system using $$$ parts if something goes wrong :oops: ).

What i'm looking at:

AMD X2 4400 DUAL CORE
SEAGATE 300GB S-ATA HD
KINGSTON 2x1GB DDR2(667MH)
GIGABYTE GA-K8NF-9 MAINBOARD
ASUS EN7800GTX 256MB VIDEO CARD

The sound is 7.1 onboard but I might put in an Audigy2 card. I'm not really sure how big a deal it is to have onboard sound vs. an actual card(if it will cause any problems?).

I was looking at Destructors thread as well and mentioned(to the builder) having an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe but was told that many of them were being returned having burned out??  Not sure what was happening there.

Any comments on the components/configuration?

What do you think?
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 02:59:45 AM »

1st off, I would get either a BFG or XFX video card. They have lifetime and double-lifetime warranties, respectively.

2nd, I think you have the wrong model#. Did you mean GA-K8NF-9?
If yso, it doesn't look like it supports SLI. You should get an SLI capable motherboard in case you want to go SLI later. I currently have a DFI LanParty UT motherboard and it seems to work very well so far.

Also, depending on your budget. The 7900 512MB cards are rumored to be out within a month. But I can't be sure. I have had a 7800GTX 512MB on backorder for a customer since December. 2 of my vendors have gone from backordered, to removed from site/inventory.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 03:02:21 AM »

Quote from: "Ragnarok"
I'm replacing my aging system and am having a shop put one together for me(don't want to build my first system using $$$ parts if something goes wrong :oops: ).

What i'm looking at:

AMD X2 4400 DUAL CORE
SEAGATE 300GB S-ATA HD
KINGSTON 2x1GB DDR2(667MH)
GIGABYTE GAKN8F-9 MAINBOARD
ASUS EN7800GTX 256MB VIDEO CARD

The sound is 7.1 onboard but I might put in an Audigy2 card. I'm not really sure how big a deal it is to have onboard sound vs. an actual card(if it will cause any problems?).

I was looking at Destructors thread as well and mentioned(to the builder) having an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe but was told that many of them were being returned having burned out??  Not sure what was happening there.

Any comments on the components/configuration?

What do you think?

I love ASUS, but I have to admit my last board had to go back 3 times to get a good one.  Otherwise, uh...yea - that'll run Oblivion. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 06:37:50 AM »

Quote from: "Punisher"
1st off, I would get either a BFG or XFX video card. They have lifetime and double-lifetime warranties, respectively.

2nd, I think you have the wrong model#. Did you mean GA-K8NF-9?
If yso, it doesn't look like it supports SLI. You should get an SLI capable motherboard in case you want to go SLI later. I currently have a DFI LanParty UT motherboard and it seems to work very well so far.

Also, depending on your budget. The 7900 512MB cards are rumored to be out within a month. But I can't be sure. I have had a 7800GTX 512MB on backorder for a customer since December. 2 of my vendors have gone from backordered, to removed from site/inventory.

This is just straining the budget, so I think the 7800 is as far as I'll go.  Time is also limited(Yes KD-Bethesda has forced me to upgrade  biggrin ).

The mainboard model was wrong-it's the one you have there(corrected-thanks!).  I suppose I should look into a SLI ready board to keep future options open.

Another question:  The power supply that comes with the system is a 350W SmartPower.  I thought that it might be underpowered for this system but was told SmartPower actually gives you 350w while a regular 350 power supply actually only gives you 2/3 of what it says.  
Can anyone verify that?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 02:17:31 PM »

I've had no issues with my ASUS board since I've picked it up, and I've also used ASUS for most of my gaming career. Always highly recommended.

About the SmartPower power supply...haven't heard of that one personally. I wouldn't take the chance and just get a 550W PS.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 04:16:35 PM »

The power supply is definetly underpowered.

I am currently using this one It has gotten good reviews and has work for my system so far.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 05:09:59 PM »

When it comes to power supplies, believe it or not Weight and price are about as important as brand and the "rating".

I've known 420W power supplies to be horribly underpowered, and seen 300-350W power supplies just sing.

I'd recommend going with the Sonata II case (as it's DAMN quiet and comes with an A grade power supply). plus the double hinged door and cpu air scoop is convenient and practical.

I have another power supply that I bought a couple years ago, and it's not done me wrong. I won't go with a power supply that costs less than 60USD for a gaming rig, and I generally look for reviews of it first.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 08:41:51 PM »

are you going with that faster speed memory so you can overclock or speed up the timings on it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: