http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 02:27:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would it be safe to upgrade to latest ATI drivers even tho..  (Read 1264 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2005, 02:16:08 AM »

Their "official" warning is that you should only use drivers from your manufacturer?
I use a gateway notebook - 17" widescreen that came installed with a Radeon 9700. Since Gateway's latest drivers for the video card are almost a year old now, I went to get the latest drivers from the ATI website, and it said something about using drivers from your computer manufacturer for best performance and that some drivers are customized due to things like widescreen display. (Which I have.)
That concerned me a little, if I install the drivers directly from ATI, is it going to screw up my widescreen display? I'm getting tired of waiting around for Gateway to get with the program and as long as it's been now, I wonder if they'll ever release new video drivers. Too many improvements in Catalyst to keep using these old, old video drivers. And some games crash, like Planetside, wasted $20 on it and every time I get into it, it crashes back to the desktop. On the tech support it says "Make sure you upgrade to your latest video card drivers." Well, thanks to gateway, I am updated to my latest ones, which are almost a year old.
Any suggestions?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 04:11:40 PM »

Let me introduce you to Omega Drivers.  You can thank me in the form of cash.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 07:49:04 PM »

Just make sure you completely remove all of the original ATI drives, control panels, etc. before installing the Omega Drivers.  I was having bad stuttering in my DVD playback until I checked and saw that the ATI control panel was still installed.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 10:42:37 PM »

Thanks I'll have to check out the Omega drivers. Apparently ATI officially doesn't even support notebooks at all with their officially released drivers. Two more days and Gateway's latest posted drivers will be 1 year old. I should of got a dell, dude.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 05:21:37 AM »

Dude, Dell may be better, but not by much anymore :wink: .
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 05:54:25 AM »

Honestly, as long as you use the drivers for the appropriate chipset you should be fine.  ATI's Catalyst drivers should work with any video card using a ATI chip.

I used to have a Gateway and their video drivers were one of the first things that went after I unpacked the box.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: