http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 10:52:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would a wireless network adapter work for gaming on a desktop PC?  (Read 7379 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:56:58 PM »

I recently finished an office in my basement, and am looking at ways to get my desktop connected to my network.  I could either:

1.  Run the cable modem through the floor to the basement, then run a 100' Cat 5 cable to my office (hung along the wall, which Mrs. Gratch would hate), or
2.  Buy a wireless network adapter for my desktop

While I would prefer to be wired, going wireless would be a lot less of a PITA at this point.  I've been looking at adapters like these, but have no idea if they would work for gaming.  Keep in mind, I don't play a ton of online games, but do enjoy the occasional MMO.

Anyone tried using one of these, or is there something you use that you could recommend?

TIA
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:58:44 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:34:27 AM »

Wireless N should work. MMORPGs are usually pretty good about low bandwidth connections. You can always pickup a high power router to boost the signal if you need to. I'd get an internal card that supports MIMO instead of a USB, unless the USB had an external antenna...
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 01:38:49 AM »

This is what I currently use at home and have been using it for a few years now and no issues for online gaming (FPS and MMO) or media streaming on LAN.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WET610N-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Adapter/dp/B001QVQ7JU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330047053&sr=8-2

Your PC will think it's on a regular network since it will connect to the bridge via regular cat-5 cable. The bridge will connect via WiFi to your router. One thing I like about this set up is you can find a good spot for the bridge where the WiFi signal strength is strongest and not have to move the PC around.

If you do a lot of huge file transfers between PCs on the LAN, you'd still want cable connection though. File transfers through WiFi is painfully slow.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:10:57 AM »

If you go the usb adapter route, do yourself a favor and get yourself something similar to this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816056

Note that it's a 'usb extension' cable.. also called an 'a-b' cable. Basically, one male, one female connector.
edit: not the same thing. corrected.

Basic idea is, you put your usb adapter on the end of it, and the cable lets you place the adapter optimally for reception, instead of having it stick off the front of your case.

And at something like 4$, it's quite the bargain.

Atomic
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:18:26 AM by TheAtomicKid » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 02:11:33 PM »

Quote from: Tokek on February 24, 2012, 01:38:49 AM

This is what I currently use at home and have been using it for a few years now and no issues for online gaming (FPS and MMO) or media streaming on LAN.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WET610N-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Adapter/dp/B001QVQ7JU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330047053&sr=8-2

Your PC will think it's on a regular network since it will connect to the bridge via regular cat-5 cable. The bridge will connect via WiFi to your router. One thing I like about this set up is you can find a good spot for the bridge where the WiFi signal strength is strongest and not have to move the PC around.

If you do a lot of huge file transfers between PCs on the LAN, you'd still want cable connection though. File transfers through WiFi is painfully slow.

Thanks Tokek, I may look into that.  Someone at OO recommended one of these.  If it works as advertised, it would be the perfect solution.  Might give it a shot first, then go with something else if it doesn't work.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 02:19:19 PM »

This is what I use:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833130078

Works great for SWTOR and downloads. Haven't tried it for FPS or RTS, though.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:21:16 PM »

I'm a big fan of gigabit LAN and running cable inside walls. You just need a fish line, a couple of tools, some cables and some monoprice wall plates. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 05:52:47 PM »

I've been using this for over a year and have been extremely happy with it.  Way surpassed my expectations.  I've played a few MMOs with it with zero issues at all (until my PC died, anyway).

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-MegaPlug-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B002AMW2WA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330192095&sr=1-2

My issue was that my house is very long with my cablemodem hookup in the very front room.  I hooked my Airport Extreme there and while there was signal in my office (near the rear of the house), it was a pretty shitty signal.  Powerline worked great, giving me full bandwidth and no noticeable increase in ping.  It worked so well I hooked up a second WiFi Hotspot to it to provide strong wireless for the rear of my house and my back yard.

My speedtest results plugged into the wireline.  This is basically the same as if I was plugged directly into the modem itself.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 05:56:49 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 24, 2012, 02:21:16 PM

I'm a big fan of gigabit LAN and running cable inside walls. You just need a fish line, a couple of tools, some cables and some monoprice wall plates. biggrin

If you go this route, make sure you buy in-wall rated cable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: