http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 04:11:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless router questions  (Read 1526 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2005, 07:40:30 PM »

With xbox 360 coming I`m thinkin gof going wireless. I have a psp and a ds which will both eventually benefit from having this so I think I`m ready to make the jump. Any suggestion on a good wireless router and cards etc. I don`t want to spend TOO much, but I want a good setup that should last. That way my PC, xbox and xbox 360, and both handhelds will be on a wireless setup. Any ideas?
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 10:17:51 PM »

i've been using a D-Link DI-624 router and DWL-G520 PCI adapter for my network for almost a year and a half now and it's been great.  it's all part of D-Link's high-speed 802.11g line, which they call Xtreme-G, and has a theoretical max transfer rate of 108Mbps.  is it really that fast in everyday use?  no, but it is significantly faster than any standard 802.11b/g setup...i think i usually run at around 54-72Mbps (actual transfer rate measured by another monitoring program) with dynamic rate adjustment (locking in to 108Mbps gets me some occasionally, although rare, signal interruptions).  it's more than enough to stream audio/video across the network and quickly transfer large amounts of data.  setup couldn't be easier, and it has all the common 802.11g security options...non-broadcasted SSID, WEP, WPA/WPA-PSK, MAC address filtering...and it's all configured through a very intuitive web-browser based interface.  the one thing to keep in mind, however, is that you only get the higher speeds when using D-Link's XtremeG hardware...other wireless hardware will only run at standard 802.11g speeds.

while i paid about $100 for the router and wireless card 1.5 years ago, you can get started for less than that now...especially if you can catch some of the rebates they seem to be running all the time.  a quick check at Newegg shows that they have the router for $41 after rebate, and the PCI adapter for $40 right now.  i'm very happy with the D-Link XtremeG setup and would recommend it to anyone Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 01:56:44 PM »

I say get the WRT54G for $40 after $30 in rebates.  Not only is it a great router, it also can support 3rd party firmware.  Using the default Linksys firmware I could not get a good signal but another firmware  allowed me to boost the signal.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 03:59:29 AM »

Thanks guys, I`m looking into that stuff as we speak!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 05:46:09 AM »

I am looking at the Linksys that Beer Goggles pointed out (nothing against the D-Link, I'm just familiar with the Linksys gear).  Can anybody reccomend a good adapter for use with consoles like the Xbox and/or PS2?  I know a few companies produce them (including Linksys, I believe), but figured I would see what is in use and reccomended here.  Thanks.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 02:51:39 PM »

Honestly, I had issues with my Linksys Xbox to router wireless thingy. I'm guessing it was because of all the protection I run, as as soon as I turned it off it worked pretty much fine, but I encountered some occasional 'pops' of lag that I don't see whenever I'm connected up via cable.

And I was only about 10-15 feet away (through a single wall and a door).

*shrugs*

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Sudy Nym
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 06:29:02 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
I have a psp and a ds which will both eventually benefit from having this so I think I`m ready to make the jump.

Is the DS supposed to have online games eventually?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 12:23:02 AM »

Quote from: "Sudy Nym"
Quote from: "Harpua3"
I have a psp and a ds which will both eventually benefit from having this so I think I`m ready to make the jump.

Is the DS supposed to have online games eventually?

Yes, it is. It'll be via Wi-Fi as well.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 03:08:21 AM »

Alright, here is another question for the pros.

I want to have my Xbox/PS2 run wirelss while my other machines will be wired.  Do I need to worry about the myriad of security measures associated with WiFi?  All I really care about is 1) people not using my bandwidth if possible, and 2) people not being able to scan my PC's.  I am not incredibly concerned with people intercepting my Forza matches, but I do care about my PC security.  I don't want to run into problems like Destructor.

Is the security something I must be concerned with if I use the wired ports on a wireless router?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 01:13:37 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Alright, here is another question for the pros.

I want to have my Xbox/PS2 run wirelss while my other machines will be wired.  Do I need to worry about the myriad of security measures associated with WiFi?  All I really care about is 1) people not using my bandwidth if possible, and 2) people not being able to scan my PC's.  I am not incredibly concerned with people intercepting my Forza matches, but I do care about my PC security.  I don't want to run into problems like Destructor.

Is the security something I must be concerned with if I use the wired ports on a wireless router?

Just use WPA encryption and change the default login and passwords.  The router has a good firewall.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 04:35:54 PM »

Quote from: "Beer Goggles"
Just use WPA encryption and change the default login and passwords.  The router has a good firewall.

At the very least do those two things. That'll keep out everybody but the most dedicated of hackers.

But most definitely change the default login/password for the router. It's amazing how many unprotected wireless nodes we found at our hotel at E3, and every single one of those we could've hacked into had we cared to do so. biggrin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: