http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 05:24:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless Router Kaput: Which one should I get now?  (Read 1483 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2008, 06:17:20 PM »

My specs: I have one laptop that plugs directly into my router

I have two laptops that access wirelessly.

I have a switch that runs lan lines to the rooms in my house and to my 360.

Netgear or Linksys?

What wireless frequency is best to have now? Still G?

Thanks.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »

I always go with Linksys myself, never had any issues with them so I stick with them.

You may want to get an 802.11n router since that looks to be the newest and greatest, 5 times faster than G supposedly. They are still more expensive than a regular router though. I am looking at this one. $75 on Amazon.
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 07:05:55 PM »

In before the move! (I just got an Apple airport extreme and it is awesome)
Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 10:36:48 PM »

If you do a lot of file transfer on your side of the router than maybe you would want the N.  Chances are your WAN connection is less than 10 Mbit.  You could pay $180 for N or pay about $50 for a G.  If the G lasts for 3 years or so, you will probably by able to buy a N for about $50 then.  Save your money.  Go with a WRT54G ($40) or WRT54GL ($60) at NewEgg.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 01:38:50 AM »

Before this gets moved....my vote is for a wrt54g with DD-WRT loaded......LOTS OF OPTIONS!!!

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 09:45:39 AM »

I had the top of the range netgear range max - but it went wrong and had to return it. In the meantime I changed to the basic netgear the 834G. Very nice router, does what it says on the tin and arguably the basic 54g signal is stronger than the rangemax's. As I was a tad uncomfortable with the amount of wireless power these things have at the top end I was only using the rangemax for this anyway.

Previously had a belkin which was absolutely awful.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 11:52:53 AM »

I wouldn't buy an "N" router until the format is fully ratified...
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 03:22:52 PM »

Quote from: Montag on April 26, 2008, 10:36:48 PM

If you do a lot of file transfer on your side of the router than maybe you would want the N.  Chances are your WAN connection is less than 10 Mbit.  You could pay $180 for N or pay about $50 for a G.  If the G lasts for 3 years or so, you will probably by able to buy a N for about $50 then.  Save your money.  Go with a WRT54G ($40) or WRT54GL ($60) at NewEgg.

Like I said, you can get an N for $75, but it does appear to be buggy.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 04:21:23 PM »

Quote from: Z-Corn on April 27, 2008, 11:52:53 AM

I don't like how the new router protocols work - appearing to send multiple signals to get the more powerful effect. I am sure I was imagining it but scertainly my head didn't feel right till I went back to 54g smile

Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 07:24:09 PM »

Quote from: Tals on April 27, 2008, 04:21:23 PM

I don't like how the new router protocols work - appearing to send multiple signals to get the more powerful effect. I am sure I was imagining it but scertainly my head didn't feel right till I went back to 54g smile

You must not have been wearing your tinfoil helmet!
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 07:27:10 PM »

Quote from: Z-Corn on April 27, 2008, 07:24:09 PM

Quote from: Tals on April 27, 2008, 04:21:23 PM

You must not have been wearing your tinfoil helmet!

Something like that - i'm sure it was totally imagination, non of the family were aware of it and they didn't complain - just wasn't comfortable with it.

Tals

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 07:35:58 PM »

I'm not a fan of netgear or linksys anymore.  I've installed too many that went bad.

I'm a D-Link supporter now and they were my choice when I was selling routers as well.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 07:46:41 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 27, 2008, 07:35:58 PM

I'm not a fan of netgear or linksys anymore.  I've installed too many that went bad.

I'm a D-Link supporter now and they were my choice when I was selling routers as well.
I've never had much luck with Netgear equipment (routers or NICs) for myself, friends or clients.  It seemed that there was always something off about them, whether it was drivers or interface or whatever.  My first recommendation when asked has always been "don't get Netgear".

However, I've had zero problems with Linksys and it's my usual recommendation.  What have your negative experiences been with them?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 12:33:05 PM »

Huzzah! I ended up with a Netgear ( crybaby at hark and biyobi). In any case it's a step up from my linksys (I also bought one of those but couldn't get it to work on either of my pcs). The Netgear is humming a long.

If it goes bad, D-Link will be what I buy next time.

Thanks for your help cats. I love you all.

The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 01:46:25 PM »

Isn't this in the wrong forum?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Jolor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 04:08:22 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 28, 2008, 01:46:25 PM

Are you saying that this is "On Topic"?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 04:09:24 PM »

Yeah, but since ATB pretty much ended it with his last post it didn't seem worth moving.  But I guess I might as well...
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 05:12:26 PM »

Quote from: Jolor on April 28, 2008, 04:08:22 PM

Are you saying that this is "On Topic"?

Router = hardware, no?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: [1]   Go Up