http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 07:24:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows XP Updates Disables Firefox?  (Read 1796 times)
KC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2005, 11:55:34 PM »

Help!  My computer downloaded and installed the latest critical patches and now my firefox browser loads, but can't download pages.  Internet explorer works and so does Mozilla Thunderbird.  I tried reinstalling firefox and checking the connection settings to no avail.  Any suggestions?

Edit:  I also checked my firewall settings.  When I launch firefox, it says "connecting to  . . ." and then doesne't do anything
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 01:17:28 AM »

Whoa, this happened to a friend's PC too! I just told him to install Mozilla and forgot about it (he's not a heavy user and doesn't know the difference anyway).

Thank god I'm not using Winblows anymore.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 01:55:15 AM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"
Whoa, this happened to a friend's PC too! I just told him to install Mozilla and forgot about it (he's not a heavy user and doesn't know the difference anyway).

Thank god I am still using a computer and OS that allows me to, you know, play games.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 02:59:08 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"

Thank god I am still using a computer and OS that allows me to, you know, play games.

I have five game consoles on a shelf next to me... Hmm... wonder what those are for?

A $1,000 oversized gaming console where you have to spend time installing, and time troubleshooting, and time to maintain... No thanks. smile

Computers are like air conditioners... When Windows are open, they don't work.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 03:18:14 AM »

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 03:22:47 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"

I have five game consoles on a shelf next to me... Hmm... wonder what those are for?

A $1,000 oversized gaming console where you have to spend time installing, and time troubleshooting, and time to maintain... No thanks. smile

Computers are like air conditioners... When Windows are open, they don't work.

Fantastic! I have 3 consoles sitting here too, plus about...50 installed games, 10 of which I am trying to get through now and that I am sure most gamers would love to play if they had a PC, because they aren't on Macs or consoles-but you know that already. So, are you really trying to tell me and the other millions of PC gamers that we should switch to Mac and miss out on the gaming we get? Because I sure as hell don't want to.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 03:54:28 AM »

LOL, first, I just wanted to say that you're the one who brought gaming into the topic, not me. I simply said I'm happy I'm not using Windows anymore. I'll admit the gaming scene on OS X is pretty dismal, but I don't really view gaming as a core part of my computing needs. I much prefer game on my consoles, where I just pop in the disc and go.

YMMV, of course. I'm still happy I'm rid of Winblows. I never said YOU should be rid of Winblows.

Please throw that stick man away, Mr. Lawyer, it's embarrassing.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 04:03:51 AM »

Mac arguments aside, something tells me that the Windows Firewall is blocking Firefox for reasons unknown. Try turning off the Windows Firewall (it's all-but useless anyway), or try adding Firefox to the exclusion list.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 04:28:06 AM »

LOL, first, I just wanted to say that you're the one who brought gaming into the topic, not me. I simply said I'm happy I'm not using Windows anymore. I'll admit the gaming scene on OS X is pretty dismal, but I don't really view gaming as a core part of my computing needs. I much prefer game on my consoles, where I just pop in the disc and go.

YMMV, of course. I'm still happy I'm rid of Winblows. I never said YOU should be rid of Winblows.

Please throw that stick man away, Mr. Lawyer, it's embarrassing.

You are looking for straw man, not stick man, but A for effort anyways. You probably want to check up on what it actually means, since I never discounted your original position, I simply said it was a position that would not be advisible for the gamers amongst us. Either way, you go enjoy your Mac, and I will go enjoy my PC.

And calling me Mr. Lawyer? Ouch! Snap! That hurt real bad. Clever I tell you, clever.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 04:59:34 AM »

Damn, that's right, straw man, not stick man... It's been a while since I took Introduction to Logic. Stic - I mean straw man means bringing something into the agrument that seems relevant to try to win the agrument, when actually that something is irrevelant... did I remember right?

Whatever it is, agreed (on the enjoyment part).
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 05:21:33 AM »

Damn, that's right, straw man, not stick man... It's been a while since I took Introduction to Logic. Stic - I mean straw man means bringing something into the agrument that seems relevant to try to win the agrument, when actually that something is irrevelant... did I remember right?

Whatever it is, agreed (on the enjoyment part).

Kind of correct, but only if bringing the other thing is intended to obscure the original argument or to cast the other person in a negative light so as to disparage his position. In this case, it doesn't really fit since I think the viability of the platform and gaming was somewhat explicit in the topic, but either way I am comfortable with our each to his own theory smile
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 07:31:01 AM »

Straw Man
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 02:08:53 PM »

Would you clowns both knock it off and fix the problem? smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 07:23:30 PM »

Quote from: "KC"
Help!  My computer downloaded and installed the latest critical patches and now my firefox browser loads, but can't download pages.  Internet explorer works and so does Mozilla Thunderbird.  I tried reinstalling firefox and checking the connection settings to no avail.  Any suggestions?

Edit:  I also checked my firewall settings.  When I launch firefox, it says "connecting to  . . ." and then doesne't do anything

Are you running version 1.06?
KC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2005, 12:06:12 AM »

For some reason, it started working again.  Not sure what happened.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: