http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 05:44:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Vista Laptop probable rootkit  (Read 417 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2011, 06:31:08 AM »

So, it seems my backup laptop may have some serious infestation.

It gets BSOD with internal_power_error or somesuch all the time. I then tried to rollback to last saved point, but then while it was doing the rollback, the BSOD cancelled everything and now it will startup to black screen with mouse pointer only - no ctlr-alt-del, although 5 times shift does work, so windows is there...somewhere.

The thing is - I appearently don't have that laptops reinstallation dvd anymore, so am I screwed or is there anything I can do?

Oh, I have tried F8 and repair - only, it just goes back to the select repair or start windows normally screen.

thanks for any help you guys can give!

A new one
Krillin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 05:18:03 PM »

Will it boot into the basic safe mode (without network or anything else)?  If it does, I would suggest downloading (from a clean pc) and run combofix on it. 

Otherwise you could use a boot disk solution (like Hirens CD) and hope the tools on there can get the bug out.

One other possibility is if you can find a vista install cd that matches the license sticker that is on your laptop you can get to the command prompt through the F8 startup menu and run "sfc /scannow" .  The sfc command will usually get it to where you can at least boot into the basic safe mode and run some cleanup tools from there.

Last option is to call the manufacturer and order new restore discs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: