http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 04:13:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does my PC do this????!!!!!!  (Read 1956 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2005, 10:05:52 PM »

I have other problems, but this one is the most annoying.  Every time, I mean every time I turn my pc on I have to do it twice to get to my desk top fully.  
The first time I only get to my background picture.  No icons, nothing.  Then I restart and wallah, there I go all the way to the desktop with icons just fine.  

This happens every friggin time and has only been going on for a few weeks.  Ever since I loaded SP2 I have popups out the @ss and this problem.  

Any suggestions appreciated.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 11:26:09 PM »

I'm curious on how long you are waiting for anything besides the background to show up.

Don't really have any suggestions other than grab AdAware and SpyBot and boot into safemode to run them.

It's also odd that SP2 is allowing a lot of popups. Mines currently at medium and I would say it has cut down about half of them for me.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 12:14:34 AM »

Yeah, popups while SP2 is installed would immediately make me think about doing Adaware, Spybot and possibly even HiJack This (you have to know what you're doing with this program, it gives you a list of things running on the computer, if you delete one of the ones that runs things you could be in big trouble.  Anyway, try at least the first 2 and see if there is any difference.

I would also run a virus check, but I'm going to assume you already have a anti-virus program running.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 01:02:48 AM »

I don't think I'll ever understand why so many people like SpyBot so much..  :shock:

There's one program out there called SpySubtract (http://www.intermute.com/products/spysubtract.html) that has picked up stuff even Microsoft Antispyware hasn't.
SpyBot hasn't picked up anything on my computer at all no matter how many times I run it. Then running SpySubtract it always picks up a couple of things.
You can download the free 30 day (fully featured) trial to see for yourself how good this program is.

That's assuming of course, that your problem is spyware in the first place.
After running a couple of spyware checks, and maybe even a trojan check (such as with Trojan Guarder) and you still get the problem you may have to take the last resort and just reinstall windows. I just did it myself a few days ago and things seem to be back to normal. I came prepared this time and have SpySubtract, Trojan Guarder, and EZ Antivirus running 24/7.

Good luck .

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 01:15:45 AM »

How long has it been since you installed your operating system?

Windows has gotten pretty stable since Windows 2000, but as far as gaming rigs go, having tons of programs and adding/removing all kinds of applications tends to degrade performance.  

In a professional setting you can have one installation work great for years and just fix problems that crop up, but it's a much more stable situation.  As far as home/game machines go, the OS should probably be completely reinstalled every one or two years: NOT an upgrade or replace installation, but a complete wipe of the system partition (generally the C: drive).

I just got about a six months with my last one, because I foolishly went with the beta version of the current Media Player, and it borked all kinds of things.  Some kind of spyware also hosed up the browser, and while I could have fixed it, it was better to just start fresh (and far less time and trouble, probably).  Fixing my home computer is the last thing I feel like doing: it feels too much like being at work
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 01:20:16 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
I don't think I'll ever understand why so many people like SpyBot so much..  :shock:

There's one program out there called SpySubtract (http://www.intermute.com/products/spysubtract.html) that has picked up stuff even Microsoft Antispyware hasn't.

You can download the free 30 day (fully featured) trial to see for yourself how good this program is.

You answered your question with the last paragraph there.  SpySubtract costs in order to run after 30 days while Spybot is free (but you can give donations).

You are right that Spybot does not catch everything, that's why you use it in tandem with Ad-Aware SE.  I've found those two combined (both free for personal use) do a darn good job of taking out everything related to ads/spyware.

I'm also glad to hear you have not had problems with Windows XP after installing from scratch.  Did you do my advice to delete partition and start from scratch?

Xbox Live: AgtFox
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 02:21:57 PM »

Then the saying "You get what you pay for" seems to make a lot of sense.
However you can still download SpySubtract for 30 days to get rid of any spyware problems you have now. That's what I did and when I saw how much it picked up that Spybot and even Microsoft Antispyware missed, I had to buy it. They had it for sale for $9.99 at Best Buy around two months ago. Well worth it and even after the one year is up you can keep using it you just don't get updates. (Which are like once every 2 or 3 weeks anyway.)

AdAware is pretty good, for being free anyway.

Yes I took your advice and completely reformatted and deleted the partition and so far everything is working smoothly. Well not everything but that's for another thread.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 04:16:55 PM »

since i installed SpyWare Blaster (free), i have zero pop-ups.  i still use Ad-Aware and SpyBot, but there's nothing there for them to pick up anymore  (except for a data miner type thing that is always there, probably from all my eBay surfing).

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 11:10:06 PM »

I still have to boot up my pc twice to get to my desktop with icons.  About ready to reformat and reload the ole XP.  As for popups, I give up.  I have Spyblaster running and it doesn't do diddly squat for that.  I have SP2 and have popblocker set to Max and it too does zilch.  I get those friggin poker gaming (and many others) popups all over the place, especially here at consolegold.com.  

Makes me want to just quit surfing altogether sometimes.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 12:34:42 AM »

someone who knows more than i do (lots), read the whole post and says that your problem is likely Spyware and other clutter. she cleans out people's computers all the time, and it almost always involves spyware problems... and they're like new when done. many people have hundreds of spyware programs running (i think the record she said she found so far was 1600!), clogging up and slowing down their computers.  

her suggestions:  first, clear out all your caches, temp files, and history files in all the accounts that are on your machine (if there is anyone else on it), and then reduce the size of the caches - the default sizes are unnecessary.

second, go to download.com and get the latest versions of Ad-Aware and Spyware Blaster (if u don't have the latest of that).  get off line and run Ad-Aware and clean out what it comes up with (it will automatically do a deep system scan when you install) then install Spyware Blaster.  make sure you get all the data files available on both, and enable all the protection you can on both.  

also, make sure you have an up-to-date virus scan and that the data files that run with it are up to date.  if u use IM at all, or Windows Messenger, you should know that there are some newer viruses on those too. also, make sure Windows is updated with all available patches.

if the machine still runs like crap after that, it might be time to clean the registry... she uses Registry Mechanic, which is about 30 bucks maybe, but there're probably freebie ones out there too.

she did all this to my old laptop and it runs great, and i never have popups any more, and by never, i mean one or two in a few months.  i surf every day, i shop online, and i buy and sell on eBay, just to give you an idea.

email any problems you have or further questions, and i'll pass them along:   [email protected]    - and Good Luck!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 06:17:54 PM »

we found one more free program that seems to work better than Spy-Bot, it picked up one thing in my Registry that Ad-Aware and SpyBot together didn't.  there was another machine that my friend was cleaning out that was a horrid mess of spyware and viruses (adolescent male child discovers "gate to heaven" on mom's computer, LOL).  this program picked up several additional problems that the other two missed.

it's called SpyWare Doctor, it's located here:
http://www.download.com/1200-2018-5139934.html

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 09:03:04 PM »

I won't get into all the technical ways to do it, but look into disabling the messenger service, particularly if you're not running a windows firewall.  Lots of malware makes use of that particular piece of MS goodness.  Be sure you know what you're doing, though - disabling services is sometimes dangerous.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: