http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 03:53:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whoops! Looks like I need a new monitor. (funny story)  (Read 1072 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2007, 02:23:38 AM »

OK, so I have a new PC arriving Tuesday and today, for some odd reason, it occurs to me to look up the spec on the video card.  So, I'm paging through them and I see this (it's an 8800GTX):

Interface
• PCI-E 16X
• DVI-I, DVI-I, HDTV
• SLI Capable

hmmm.... somethings missing... oh wait- THERE'S NO VGA INTERFACE!!!  Instead of initially panicking I look over the other cards.  Geforce 7 series... no VGA interface.. OK, maybe they don't list it since it might be pretty common... let me just check the 6800 series.... well, look at that:  VGA interface.  well frack me with a stuffed porcupine.  So, if I want to fire up my new baby on Tuesday I need to find a new monitor quickly-  not that I haven't been looking for the last 2 years (and probably started multiple topics on the subject of finding a new one) or so but never really felt justified in getting one.  I need to find one locally though-  I don't want to spend extra money for next day shipping.

Anyways, I found that the local Staples has this is stock, a Viewsonic vx1945wm which comes with the DVI cable already and they are selling for $279.99, which will put it just under $300.  They have a model that's 50 bucks less but doesn't include the DVI cable and it looks like that would run me 30-50 bucks anyways as ordering online is definitely out right now.

Just thought I'd share this tip:  make sure you know everything about your new PC when you order it to avoid nice little surprises like this at the last minute.  Now hopefully the case will actually fit in my PC desk....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 02:31:32 AM »

I'll bet it comes with a DVI -> VGA converter.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 03:04:30 AM »

Yeah, it comes with the dongle biggrin

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 04:28:34 AM »

In case the last two guys weren't clear enough. The adapter for DVI to VGI should be in the box somewhere.  icon_wink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 04:44:15 AM »

sweet!  thanks guys, hopefully they decided to include everything in the box.  Ralph sent me a good suggestion over at OO which I might go with

Because I can,
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 12:29:56 PM »

Just for clarity here, the DVI-I connector, includes both the digital video interface, as well as some pins that carry analog vga signal... the 'converter' simply connects the analog pins to a normal vga connector, at which point you simply attach a vga cable and you're good to go. There's also a "DVI-D" which is digital only. Far less common. But if you get one, there won't be any converting going on biggrin

All this is assuming the antibiotics and the bacteria havent gotten into an escalated argument inside my brainpan, with me being the temporary loser. Everything's a little fuzzy right now, so be gentle if I've made an error in terminology here biggrin

Atomic
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 02:48:01 PM »

Well, I ended up getting that Viewsonic I linked to.  It's actually very nice save for the two stuck pixels I had when I turned it on.  One of them went away but the other is being stubborn.  Luckily it's only noticable when the screen is all black, so it's no major distraction.

Because I can,
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 07:56:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 20, 2007, 02:48:01 PM

Well, I ended up getting that Viewsonic I linked to.  It's actually very nice save for the two stuck pixels I had when I turned it on.  One of them went away but the other is being stubborn.  Luckily it's only noticable when the screen is all black, so it's no major distraction.

Are you still able to exchange it?  From the sound of it, you will keep it though, right?  Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the 8800GTX club biggrin

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 08:25:25 PM »

Hope you like the monitor! Wide-screen gaming rocks.

P.S. Your story wasn't actually very funny. Sorry, dude.  icon_frown
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 03:55:59 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on March 21, 2007, 07:56:44 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 20, 2007, 02:48:01 PM

Are you still able to exchange it?  From the sound of it, you will keep it though, right?  Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the 8800GTX club biggrin

I don't even notice it anymore, and I think it may have disappeared last night.  I'm loving the monitor though-  it's nice to be able to dock and charge the iPod without having an extra cable dangling from the PC.

Because I can,
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 04:58:22 PM »

I got the dell 2407 to go with my new PC... I get all drooly when I look at it. My wife is somehow less impressed.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 12:09:48 AM »

I was kinda surprised like you when I just built a new rig and my video card choice had no VGA plug (but a dongle was in the box).

Just a sign of the times, I guess. It was a non-issue for me since I've had a flat panel for a couple years now.

Another thing: the MB I chose had no serial port built in - just pins on the MB. Another sign of the times...

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: