http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 03:32:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which hard drive to buy  (Read 1623 times)
Andrew Wonser
Gaming Trend Senior Member

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2004, 01:09:55 AM »

I'm looking to replace a hard drive and add an external storage (Grabbing an external case - firewire) as well. Right now I'm looking at two Seagate 200GB drives but I figured I'd run it by you guys as well.

Having been out of the loop concerning hard drives for a while now, is Seagate a good brand or should I look into something else?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 01:54:56 AM »

Never owned a seagate drive...but I do have a nice western digital...and just now I saw a black friday ad where a 200gb wd drive will be $49.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 03:53:57 AM »

Andrew- start looking at their warranty.  The biggest change in the past year has been the warranty period.  I think some makers have gone down to 90 days to 1 yr...and there is one maker (I think it was seagate) that increased theirs from 3 yr to 5 yr.  I think the warranty period signifies which maker "believe" more in their product.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 05:27:22 PM »

Most of the retail boxed hard drives have dropped to 1 year.  Many non retail WD drives have also dropped to 1 year.  After losing 2 Western Digital drives this year I'm avoiding them.  Maxtor just increased their non retail drives to 3 years and 5 years like Seagate.  All three are top names and seem to have about the same reliability...I've just had awful luck with WD myself.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 06:07:27 PM »

i've had a WD 160GB SATA for about a year now and have been very pleased...it's fast and extremely quiet (never hear it spin up).  one of the big reasons i chose it over another brand at the time is that it was one of the few drives to come with a 3-year warranty.  it seems like the warranty periods on HDs can vary even within a brand...some WD's have 3 years, while others are 1 year...probably the same with other brands as well.  in the end, i'd say they're all about the same...just have to hope you get a good drive (which most are).

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 12:09:14 AM »

Seagate is a good brand - I have their 80 GB SATA HD's. But as far as I know the best HD out there today is the WD Raptor drives.10,000 rpm, baby!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: