http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 02:12:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would I miss minus Vista?  (Read 5787 times)
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 03:21:28 PM »

When I bought my new gaming PC I did a lot of looking around and there was nothing positive about Vista in regards to gaming perfomance. There was the promise of things to come but all the testing done on XP vs Vista gaming at the time showed, without a doubt, gamers were better off with XP for gaming performance. Almost every game I cared about ran slower on Vista. Most of the time it was slightly less performance, but in some cases it was a serious drop in performance.

You didn't mention when you bought your new PC, but given the performance differences you are talking about, I am willing to bet it was considerable time ago (a year ago?). Would you agree that bringing up old issues that have been resolved long time ago is not really helpful when discussing whether it's worth it to have Vista NOW?

I mean, sure, if you get a launch edition of Vista, avoid installing any updates and/or SP1, get a year old video/sound/etc. drivers, then probably yeah, performance of your games is going to be worse than under an up-to-date XP. Some games might not even work.

However, according to all the benchmarks released after SP1 that I've seen, the performance difference between these OS's is long gone. The games nowdays perform equally under both Vista and XP.

Which, by the way, doesn't make Ridah's decision any easier. smile Since games' performance is about the same, you will have to consider other points to determine whether you want to stay with Vista or get back to XP.
kratz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 03:45:23 PM »

When I bought a new PC earlier this year it came with Vista... I was fully prepared to install XP, but I started using it and I really have nothing negative to say about Vista.

I had some issues with my kludged home recording setup because of the new volume controls, but I got out of the dark ages and it works well for that now as well.

Only other issue I've had is that Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood will not install.

Games run well, everything else runs well...
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2008, 08:54:25 PM »

I use a Vista machine at work with an Athlon 64 5000, 1 GB RAM, and a GeForce 8500 GT.  I don't play games, but I've never had any complaints about system speed.  I'm thiiiiiis close to replacing XP on my home machine with Vista.  It's just better for me in many ways.  I'll echo what people have said in this thread, that Vista gets a bad rap, and there isn't any one "gotta have it" feature, just a bunch of little ones that work well.

For a little background, I work in a computer store, and we've sold about 50 or more PCs with Vista since the launch.

The initial complaints about Vista revolved around UAC, which can easily be turned off, and the supposedly "fixed" sleep mode which was anything but.  Plus, Microsoft shot themselves in the foot by saying that it would run with ridiculously low system specs.  Systems were being sold with 512MB of RAM and Vista Home Basic.  It was wild.

On top of that, people were expecting Vista to suck based on the performance of 95, 98, Me, 2000, and XP.  None of their previous OS's had a smooth launch, not even XP.  Vista has been the smoothest launch thus far, and when I've seen people give Vista a chance, they end up liking it.

Also, my boss uses Vista 64-bit for gaming and has never said one word of complaint.  Take all that for what it's worth.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2008, 12:01:24 AM »

About 6 months ago I got a new laptop at work.  It had Vista on it.   (1 gig ram, maybe 2.4 pro)  It ran slow and sluggish.  I wiped it, put xp on it and its fast and nice.

I just built a computer 2 days ago for me..  (3.1 dual core with 4 gig of ram).  Installed vista 64 bit with service pack 1.  It is very fast, looks nice and I have no complaints.

I think at vista launch they were shipping computers with vista that could not handle it, and vista needed a service pack, etc.

So, I wouldn't upgrade a older machine to vista.  But for a new machine I would put nothing ut vista on it. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2008, 05:25:33 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on August 24, 2008, 12:01:24 AM

I think at vista launch they were shipping computers with vista that could not handle it, and vista needed a service pack, etc.

This is true. I remember reading the leaked memos from MS discussing this (assuming that story was true). I definitely have seen a machine with only 1G of RAM run like absolute trash with Vista and other HP bloatware on it. We upgraded it to 2G and saw an immediate difference as it ran fine then.

In my view, Vista made 2 blunders with Vista: They treated the system requirements the same way developers of video games do. (ie, they listed specs that could run Vista, but not run Vista well. This killed Vista's reputation.) Secondly, Vista offers little to nothing new for businesses, and since businesses tend to hold on to old PCs for as long as the PCs run, there was no motivation to upgrade to Vista and plenty of reason not to. Businesses are not moving to Vista for as long as possible (I know my company has no plans to adopt it, and I know my department has no intention of ever using it), and I think that will make MS rush to get the next version out as soon as they can.

But, like all the others have said here, I can't really think of any reason not to use Vista on a modern gaming PC. Any oddity with Vista can usually be corrected via googling, and the same can be said for XP, 98, 95, etc. I also don't really see any reason to move an XP PC to Vista either.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2008, 06:38:45 PM »

Our company did not adopt it, mainly due to some performance testing benchmarks, and some conflicts with key busness aps (albiet mainly internally developed ones). Personally, I didn't like the perfomance drop on my exisitng system, so i backreved to XP. Also I had a few compatiability issues with some old favroite games, and not necessairly impressed with the Vista only games...so I stuck with XP. What i've seen so far from the Windos 7 Confrence, Windows 7 looks to be XP, to vista Windows 2000.

If you have the cash to get the latest hardware Vista is OK, but I'm still not thrilled with some of the backwards compatability issues on some of my old favorite games.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 06:40:31 PM by davidf » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2008, 07:14:22 PM »

Does anybody here have experiencing networking Vista 64-bit with a 32-bit XP machine?  Are there any problems/complications with that, or should it be relatively smooth sailing? 

Also, any links to a general Vista info/optimizing type site? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2008, 07:29:28 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 24, 2008, 07:14:22 PM

Does anybody here have experiencing networking Vista 64-bit with a 32-bit XP machine?  Are there any problems/complications with that, or should it be relatively smooth sailing? 

Vista to Vista works perfectly. You set it up, tell it to share files, and it's done.

XP to Vista (or vice versa)...good luck. The last time I did it, I had to have my entire XP machine (laptop) listed as shareable for anything to show up on the Vista machines to network. And once I turned off both machines and turned them on again the next day, I had to redo the entire shared thing on my laptop for the Vista machine to see it again.

Of course, I've always had the occasional problems sharing XP to XP in the past (laptop to PC), too. So it seems that things got easier when it comes to Vista to Vista. And it's not like I don't know what I'm doing, either.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2008, 07:51:25 PM »

Bah, that sucks.  My crappy old laptop is XP and it wouldn't run Vista for crap so it's never getting an upgrade.  I guess I won't be sharing much between it and the new machine. 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2008, 08:44:32 PM »

Well, just hope that you'll have better luck at it than I did. It did work at least in the end though, so I could transfer everything I needed from the old laptop onto the new one.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2008, 08:46:58 PM »

I haven't had any trouble sharing things between my wife's Vista (32 bit) laptop and her old PC (XP Home) and my PC (XP media center/pro). I don't remember if I have ever shared anything from Vista to XP, but I haven't had issues sharing things from XP to Vista.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2008, 04:07:47 PM »

Excellent article on Vista annoyances (real and imagined)

http://www.tweakguides.com/VA_1.html

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2008, 09:11:49 PM »

I've been using Vista now for the past 5 months as my main OS.  It's true the driver annoyances at the start were off putting.  But at this point it is a really great and slick OS.  In fact I've even switched back from OS X and boot to it by default on my MacBook Pro.  Outside of GarageBand there is no reason for me to go back to the headache of permission issues and option barren software in OS X.  And there certainly is no reason for me to use XP anymore, either.

The article Laner linked to above is an excellent summary of the woes and "Howard Dean-ing" Vista has gone through.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2008, 09:42:41 PM »

Quote from: Laner on August 25, 2008, 04:07:47 PM

Excellent article on Vista annoyances (real and imagined)

http://www.tweakguides.com/VA_1.html

That was, indeed, a great article Laner. I've forwarded that link to Debby; I want to see how she feels about Vista after reading through that and taking the advice from there into action for a while.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2008, 10:51:39 PM »

"So why are all these idiots in computer stores drooling at the prospect? Answer: because Windows  is a monstrous, bloated brute that requires a state-of-the- art PC and two gigabytes of hard disk space before it will even say 'hello'. This means any consumer foolish enough to want to run  will probably have to buy a new PC."

"If you're a gamer and are satisfied with Windows 98SE, by all means, don't upgrade and risk losing the ability to play some of your favorite games. "

That's not Vista but a review of XP smile

Great article Laner.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:23:12 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2008, 03:54:23 AM »

Heh, I had just found that article yesterday along with their immense Vista tweak guide.  I don't recall the response to XP being quite so terrible among gamers, but I was on Win2k at the time and didn't upgrade right away. 

Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2008, 02:43:11 PM »

Bought my first XP machine in 2002--a cheap laptop --$1000 was cheap back then. Still never had a BSOD or a reformat.
Built my first desktop XP machine in 2004. Again, never had a BSOD or a reformat, and that thing has seen daily heavy gaming.
Current XP machine was bought 2 years ago. A lowly eMachine 3700+ that I upgraded to 2 gig ram and a 7900GS. And again, never a crash, BSOD, or a reformat despite 2 years of heavy gaming.
I still use all 3 machines regularly.

XP has been freakishly good to me.

Thus, when I went shopping in June of 2007 for a new PC for my girlfriend (to replace her Win98 Celeron 400), I had a choice to make. Best Buy was still selling both XP and Vista machines, the cheaper models were similarly priced. I'd heard the negatives about Vista, but then I found a brand new Compaq with Vista pre-loaded clearanced out for $199. I could NOT pass that up, so I bought it for her.

The thing had only 512 ram, which caused me to wonder if it would even boot, based on what I'd heard.
I ordered another 512 (for $17), and then set up her machine while awaiting the shipment.
The damn thing booted up just fine, and quickly too. I was amazed.
Coming from Win98, my girlfriend had Vista figured out in no time, which also amazed me. She loved it.
Then the new memory arrived, and I installed it. Boot time was even quicker.

It's been over a year now, and she's still loving it. Never a crash, or anything bad, really.
There was one minor setback concerning the video driver, but I got that sorted out quickly thanks to someone right here.

So, while I'm still smitten with XP, I don't think I'll have any problems adjusting when the day comes that I NEED Vista.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:53:33 PM by Giles Habibula » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2008, 04:44:48 PM »

I had absolutely no issues networking our XP box and our Vista box.  Smoother than when I networked to XP boxes, actually.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2008, 04:39:01 AM »

Quote from: JCC on August 24, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

I haven't had any trouble sharing things between my wife's Vista (32 bit) laptop and her old PC (XP Home) and my PC (XP media center/pro). I don't remember if I have ever shared anything from Vista to XP, but I haven't had issues sharing things from XP to Vista.

I had to share some files from Vista to XP just yesterday, had zero problems and spent no time at all.

And yes, great article. I often visit this guy's web site and over time found quite a few useful articles there. His tweaking guides are absolutely amazing and extremely helpful.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2008, 07:19:08 AM »

I built my last computer with the spec requirement to upgrade to Vista in mind. I got Vista when it was released and install it on second HD with dual booting setup. I am one of those people who like new toys and one of those that always adopt new OS. In all my experiences with new OS so far (Win 3.11 to Win95, Win95 to Win98, Win98 to Win98SE, Win98SE to WinME, etc.), this is the second time that I end up go back to previous one for daily use. The other time was the WinME. In my other experience, after dual boot it, I found out that I spend almost all my computing time running the new OS so I eventually remove the old OS. In Vista case, I went back to WinXP.

Primary reason is that Windows Vista didn't seem to offer any advantage over the old one. Games ran slower than on XP. Some incompatibility with some games, plus the main problem was that Vista totally freeze at least once a week sometime freezing every night. I guess it was problem with early drivers. My XP installation which is supposed to be less stable than Vista almost never totally freezed up. So since Nov 07, I never boot into the Vista. I left it on my HD wasting diskspace but I didn't use it for over 9 months. Recently I decided to give it second chance, I installed SP1, latest Nvidia driver and plan to try to test it out to see if the freezing problem is gone. If so then maybe I'll slowly migrate to the new OS and finally spend almost 100% of my time running Vista instead of XP.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2008, 03:49:25 PM »

I've gotten a new work computer and decided to 'suck it up and try Vista.' A co-worker of mine also got a new computer and went Vista. We got some pretty decent quality machines (quad core processor, 8 gigs ram - so we're running the 64 bit version). In four days, I've already seen a few problems that I've never heard mentioned before, but I just can't accept.

After one day with Vista, I had my system lock up (everything was unresponsive - bringing up the task manager via ctrl-alt-delete added an icon to the toolbar but didn't even bring up...) so I manually powered it down. On re-start I was greeted with a black screen and a number x / 665000 (file name or registry entry name). My only assumption here is that this is the new 'check disk' screen. Only very scary looking because it doesn't even give an indication about what it's doing. Without knowing what it was doing, I could only 'trust' my computer to not be deleting itself at this point. It took about 30 minutes to check everything (during which time I was unable to work.). And then, when it finally started back up I had to wait another 30 minutes because it forced me to sit through really slow windows updates. Nice.

Interestingly enough this also happened to my co-workers machine, exact same symptoms - yesterday. Today, his machine is completely offline and he's now reinstalling Vista (crashed while installing Adobe Reader).

Also, automatic updates for some reason thought it'd be cool if I had a russian and korean language pack installed. Even added items to the start menu for these. Thanks. Much appreciated.

I've also had one other problem with a couple so called 'vista compatable' programs not working unless I'm physically logged in as Administrator on the machine. My user account is a member of the administrator group, but is not "administrator" so is not good enough to run the program. Now granted, this is more a software problem than a vista problem, but still - when it's the #1 app I use at work, I'm pretty much up shit creek.

Aside from a few other irritations (icons are simply too large) which I could probably tweak if I spent a few minutes... I'm not enjoying my first week of Vista all that much.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2008, 04:24:10 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on August 28, 2008, 03:49:25 PM

I've also had one other problem with a couple so called 'vista compatable' programs not working unless I'm physically logged in as Administrator on the machine. My user account is a member of the administrator group, but is not "administrator" so is not good enough to run the program. Now granted, this is more a software problem than a vista problem, but still - when it's the #1 app I use at work, I'm pretty much up shit creek.
Right click on the program icon, select "Properties", click on the Compatibility tab, then check the "Run this program as an administrator" box and you should be good to go.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2008, 04:46:08 PM »

On the flip side, I've upgraded to Vista on my gaming machine (actually a brand new reinstall due to incompatibilities with something XP had loaded), and my new laptop runs Vista 64. I've yet to have problems with either machine.

Of course, I run in Administrator mode on both machines, and have UAC totally turned off (along with ALL virus scanners, firewalls, and other protection schemes that Vista runs by default short of System Restore). Vista hasn't been a problem for me since then.

I do have to say though - I've BSODed my gaming Vista install though. I've also done it on XP before. So that's nothing new.

StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2008, 05:48:07 PM »

Interestingly enough this also happened to my co-workers machine, exact same symptoms - yesterday.

I would venture a guess that some application/hardware your company is using in your work environment is probably not designed to work with Vista properly and is screwing things up.

This is one of the main reasons why most companies are not in a hurry to migrate to Vista - lots of customized (or developed in house) software that will have to be updated in order to work properly.

Primary reason is that Windows Vista didn't seem to offer any advantage over the old one.

Read that article linked above, particularly the last couple of pages of it.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2008, 08:14:48 PM »

Quote from: Laner on August 28, 2008, 04:24:10 PM

Quote from: DragonFyre on August 28, 2008, 03:49:25 PM

Right click on the program icon, select "Properties", click on the Compatibility tab, then check the "Run this program as an administrator" box and you should be good to go.

Yeah - that's grayed out. :p No explanation why. I just created a shortcut using runas and impersonate the adminstrator.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: