http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 09:55:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do with old computers?  (Read 948 times)
Creepy_Smell
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 07, 2006, 03:01:29 AM »

I recently reacquired my 1st computer that I bought (at least his 200MHz brain) from my dad, who just picked up a snazzy new rig (better than mine except for video card and it will only know the joy of Internet surfing and poker..no super fancy games  crybaby ) He got my 200 many many moons ago to replace a 486 when I started upgrading and building my own. His 486 is now used to keep my gaming rig off the floor.

I've been running xbmc and streaming video from my gaming rig but wanted a better solution as the video would stutter at times depending on if the gaming rig was being used. So I turned the 200 into a NAS for streaming video/music. Currently testing it as it needs a bigger HD (only had a 10GB) but so far so good. Might have to hit a garage sale to try and score a better comp on the cheap one day.

What things do you all do with them? Give them away? Bury them in the closet? Beat em up gangster style?

unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 03:15:58 AM »

If anyone is getting a computer from Dell, they offer free computer recycling with the purchase.  I got rid of a really old, heavy, and going dead monitor that way, as well as a big ol' 486 server I had laying around.

Damn... my brother just got a laptop.  I forgot to tell him to get the recycling... I have more stuff I would have been happy to ditch.

Anyway, I have a ton of computer equipment and old computers.  My plan was to put all the stuff together into working condition and see who wants them.  However, since you can get a new Dell with a flat panel monitor for $300-$500 (just have to wait for the sales), it's really hard to get rid of old stuff now.

I heard some towns are doing some kind of PC recycling plans.  If your town does recycling of any kind, I would check with them first.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 03:47:33 AM »

Depends..  I buy really really nice cases, then just upgrade the motherboards, CPU and video year after year, selling those here or on Ebay.  The three PC's we have here now all have the same really nice cases from about 4 years ago.  thumbsup

If I do run across an old PC, I try to sell it at one of the local used computer broker stores.  If they don't offer enough, I donate them to VVA for a pretty sizeable tax writeoff.   

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 04:09:38 AM »

There is a volunteer PC recycling group here in town (Free Geek) that will take computers or parts and rebuild them into usable computers and give them away to individuals or non-profit organizations.  Any parts that are broken or can't be reused are responsibly recycled.

A lot of my older parts find their way into my family's computers since even my old gamer gear is usually faster than their stuff. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 04:21:43 AM »

mine always make it to another friend. Since I upgrade every 2 years it means they usually get a decent machine.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 11:16:32 PM »

You have a couple of options.  First, you can give them to someone you know who needs some sort of basic e-machine.  Second, there are recyclers, though they often charge you to offset the cost.  Third, many charities (Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.) will take computers (but not the monitors).  Fourth, you could just hold onto it in case your new rig has an extended or costly failure. 

I just recently gave my old (2 years since I built the current one) computer to a co-worker who needed a basic PC but didn't have any money. 

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 03:04:55 AM »

http://www.clothingdonations.org/service.htm

thumbsup

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 05:32:24 AM »

I either give them away or sell them to help pay for more current hardware.

Generally if I give it away it's still way better hardware than whoever's receiving said system would ever need.

A while back I gave my parents a 3.0ghz P4 with 1GB of DDR400 and an FX5750 in it. Yes, the FX series cards sucked, but that's still a lot of horsepower for them to read email and play solitaire.

The problem is that I just don't know what else to do with all the stuff. I'm already slowly burying myself in spare computer parts. I have two 550 watt power supplies, a Socket 939 Athlon64 3500+, about 4 gigs with of SDRAM, two extra mice, an extra keyboard, a spare DFI NF4 SLI-DR motherboard, and a 7900GTO all just kind of sitting in boxes on my shelves. And that's just what I can see from my chair. There's plenty more.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: