http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 01:45:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Antivirus software do you use?  (Read 1845 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2006, 11:16:06 PM »

Would like to get an idea what everyone out there uses. Personally I use whatever came with SystemSuite 6 (I think it's trend micro) since I paid a good 50 bucks for it. It updates regularly through v-com (systemsuite's) autoupdate thing so I'm sure it's a decent antivirus.

Are there any truly automatic antivirus programs out there, as in it automatically detects and repairs (or deletes as a last resort) viruses, to the point where you may not even know about it?
IMO that's my idea of antivirus, something that truly runs in the background and you really have no idea it's there, but can feel good knowing it's doing it's job, automatically.

So what does everyone else use?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 12:03:44 AM »

I'm trying out Avast.  In the past I used Panda pretty exclusively.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 12:14:34 AM »

Absolutely nothing. I'll occasionally throw a .zip file past Trend Micro's online checker, but beyond that, I'm anti-virus free.

Of course, upon now saying this, I'll be viriied to death by morning. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 12:43:37 AM »

I've used the free version of Avast for about a year now and haven't had a virus yet.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 01:07:08 AM »

AVG here.

Tough on viruses, easy on users.

That's their slogan anyway.  Of course, they had me at "easy on users"

smile

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Hapfloyde
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 01:08:24 AM »

I use AVG, too.  Avast had some minor disagreements with my comp, such as failing to turn on when I told it to.

Ha, ha, ha. You have struck Hercules!
Gordon Bleu
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 04:58:59 AM »

*raises hand* AVG for me too. Does its thing, not much intrusion.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 05:11:46 AM »

Seems AVG is pretty popular. Is that professional edition or free edition?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 11:37:16 PM »

I've been using BitDefender (the free version).  It's ok. Not great, but it works, and it is obscure enough that the viruses which target security software never target it.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 12:07:08 AM »

Avast...it updates itself all the time. Ive not had any viri get through since using it.

On a side note a big F U to Norton and thier POS scanner.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 12:33:55 AM »

My company has been trying out Nod32 for about 2 months. Seems very good so far, but there may be some instances of false positives.

As an example I got a virus warning while downloading the RF beta and LOTR beta from fileplanet yesterday.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 01:20:34 AM »

Norton System Works for about 6 years now.

I have never had a virus (Knocks on wood)

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 05:15:06 AM »

used to use AVG - it's been Avast! for the past few years.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 04:20:37 PM »

I use Norton AV 2005.  I've never had an issue with the actual virus scanning  functionality, but on my system there are a few mildly annoying glitches with the interface and a few of the less important configuration options.  

When my current subscription expires, I may switch to either Kapersky or NOD32, which seem to be the most highly rated alternatives.  I'm not impressed with what I've seen of Avast!, and AVG is next to useless.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 08:01:49 PM »

AVG - I tried Avast!, but it would stop working for a reason I am not sure of and take a reinstall to get it working.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 09:51:50 PM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
Norton System Works for about 6 years now.

I have never had a virus (Knocks on wood)

Just an FYI. I get this a lot from my customers.

1) NO anti-virus is perfect.
2) There is a possibility that you do have a virus on your system without knowing it. Not all viruses are destructive and many trojans would not want to do anything to bring them to your attention.
3) We were doing a virus sweep for a company with several locations. We had to sweep their personal laptops because the service porvider was shutting them down due to virus issues. Many had AV software on their systems. Symantec, McAfee, etc... all of the "mainstream/retail" software.
Many of these did have viruses on them anyway.
Many of these were the 60 day trial version they got 3 years ago and thus hadn't been updated since then.
One particular person I remember, gave us a hard time because he didn't want us touching his personal system because "you guys always screw up my laptop". Since we had never touched his laptop before, I don't know how this would be possible. Also his son "works on computers for a big company and setup his laptop and cleans it regularly". His system did not have ANY AV software, only the free version of Zone Alarm. We explained that if he didn't let us scan his system, he wouldn't be allowed to use the network anymore. He said fine and took his laptop. He went and complained to the Mgr and thankfully they backed us up. He came back 2 hours later and in a huff gave it to us and said we wouldn't find anything. As you can guess we found stuff on his laptop. In fact he had the most hits from the virus/adware/spyware software we ran. Approx 450 hits for virus and 600+ for spyware adware.
I wish I knew where his son worked because there is probably a position available.

I have found viruses on my system before as well. But since I do clean it regularly, they don't hit me as hard.
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 10:54:58 PM »

Actually, the last 'virus' I have had was a Java virus.  I *hate* Java, because Sun wants you to install their crap in order to run it.

Anyway, my brother needed Java for something he was doing at school, and he got infected somewhere (hmm... probably from school now that I think of it).  And the infection was network aware, and exploited a security hole in Sun's Java run-time.  So everything with Java installed on my home network got it (which fortunately wasn't much due to my aforementioned hatred).

--

One project I had was updating an organization's network.  One of the starts is, of course, getting virus scanning at all the desktops.  They didn't have it, which was amazing considering they had a site license for Mcafee!  And, like Punisher said, a lot of people have it and it isnt set to update.

I've done site installs for both Norton and McAfee, and I prefer McAfee.  Norton wants you to set up some stupid update server application (which has an additional fee, of course: I got around it by running the client update package with the logon script).  McAfee, at least on the versions I worked on, will let you pull an update via FTP, so all I did was set up MS's FTP service on one of the file servers.  Then I found the registry keys used in the application settings, and BAM, all done.

One weird thing about it, however, which I still can't figure out- you can do all the settings for where it gets it's updates, the schedule it runs on, etc, but you CAN'T set it to run on a schedule without manually setting it.  I checked everything I could- the windows registry, ini files, and even the program files.  I have no idea how it stored that setting...
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006, 01:14:14 AM »

AVG Free.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: