http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 09:10:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Went ahead and bought the new cpu!  (Read 1186 times)
Azhag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2008, 02:54:53 AM »

Looking at the mid-level intel gaming pcs from cyberpower. Hoping to possibly put in an order tomorrow, so any quick thoughts are appreciated.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Looking at the 9800 GT model... any problems you see? Do I have to do anything special with the watercooling (never dealt with it before)... thoughts on that vs a good/silent regular fan?

Also, NVIDIA vs ATI... vista vs XP. Leaning Vista home premium and stick with the NVIDIA 9800 GT 512 mb it has by default.

And any need to extra fans or case upgrades?

Sorry, been a while since I bought one...

~ Tim
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 02:36:25 PM by Azhag » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 04:06:59 AM »

Well, as you can see a couple threads down I have been considering a pretty similar system.  I haven't really done much research on your parts specifically but from what I can see it looks pretty good.  I think the 750i motherboards are supposed to be pretty good and 4GB RAM and Quad Core should do you well. 

I finally just went ahead and ordered mine from CyberPower today, and I went with a Quad Core, P45 DDR3 motherboard, a similar Nvidia card (9800 GTX+ 512) and Vista Home Premium 64-bit. 

I went with Vista 64 mostly because of the memory addressing issue, but also because I've nevery had a 64-bit OS and want to mess about.  At this point I don't see much reason to get XP on a brand new system like you one you're building. 

Exciting!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 02:35:51 PM »

Thanks for the comment. I decided to go ahead and order one. Thankfully my wife had seen me trying to play the Warhammer Online beta and took pity on me... I ended up bumping up the CPU and video card memory since I'd rather not have to deal with upgrading for a long while. Of course now I'm not getting anything for B-day or Christmas... but I'll have a nice cpu to play with so what more will I need?

Final order below came to $1061.15 + shipping (after the 5% off coupon)

CAS: Apevia X-Supra Gaming Mid-Tower 420W Case (G Type Silver Color with Side-Window)
CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache 64-bit
CD: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
FAN: Raidmax Maxcool Intel CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent at 20dBA & Overclock Proof)
HDD: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
MOTHERBOARD: MSI P7N SLI-FI 750i SLI Chipset LGA775 Supports LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)4GB (4x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
OS: Microsoft(R) Windows Vista(TM) Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)
PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU
POWERSUPPLY: 500 Watts Power Supplies (**Recommended** WIN-500XSPX APEVIA 500W JAVA Power Supply-Black)
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS 24/7 LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 06:47:43 PM »

The only thing I can see in that config is the same thing I said in the other thread - with a HD that 'small', you'll be upgrading it sometime soon. You'll want to install everything you own onto that PC to see how well it runs. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 07:44:31 PM »

Hehe, true, didn't think about that smile. But I've been good about selling old stuff on ebay or trading here, and I've been xbox 360 focused the past year and a half, so I should be good for now.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »

CAS: Apevia X-Supra Gaming Mid-Tower 420W Case (G Type Silver Color with Side-Window)

POWERSUPPLY: 500 Watts Power Supplies (**Recommended** WIN-500XSPX APEVIA 500W JAVA Power Supply-Black)

Not sure what these two mean. Did you get a 420w PSU, or a 500?

Either way, Apevia PSU's aren't very good quality at all, and if it's not too late, I'd highly recommend changing that to a better brand.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 08:43:18 PM »

Is there any advantage in gaming right now to be going quadcore over dualcore? Is there a boost in performance?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 08:52:47 PM »

Not really at this point. Dual might still be faster in many cases for games due to higher clock. But for longevity purposes I figure this hedges my bets. Plus it's not really much more expensive.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 01:54:21 AM »

Most games already use multiple threads for things like resource loading, sounds, physics, etc, and those can easily be passed off to as many cores as you have.  It may not be maxing out multiple cores most of the time, but having them available can help during high loads.  As things turn more and more towards multi-threading built to take advantage of multiple cores it will only become more useful. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: