http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 10:45:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weird malware issue, Start Button becomes a tiny window when clicked  (Read 534 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 10, 2012, 07:09:24 PM »

So like many, I've had to take up the responsibility of clearing out malware off various friends and family computers, and try to secure the outdated XP against future incursions. This includes various work computers.

I've run into an odd one that hasn't done too much, but is still a nuisance.

If I try to click on the start menu, it becomes some kind of window with tiny little scroll bars when it is clicked. Hard to see what's in it exactly since the window is tiny. I can still access the start menu using the keyboard button.

This is clear sign of a malware infection, the usual kind of stuff that disables a bunch of functionality and tries to sell you a fix.

However, I can't find any fixes for the specific problem. Most info online revolves around changes to the Start Menu, not the button itself. So I can't find info on which malware it could be, and how to remove/fix it.

Anyone else encounter this?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:23:19 PM »

Does it do this on all profiles, including a new user creation?

It means you're looking at HKey Current User vs HKey Local Machine

Likely just a reg hack on the start button itself. I assume CTRL-ESC does the same thing.

My recommendation: Upgrade to Win8Preview. Then use the XP key when you get them to fork over 39.99 to get the W8 online upgrade package later this year. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: