http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 04:01:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waves riding across your monitor screen..  (Read 2504 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2006, 07:30:46 PM »

Anyone ever have what looks like waves passing through your monitor screen in the background?
You have to really pay attention but a bunch of lines are moving across my monitor and now that I notice it, it's becoming annoying.

I disabled on my onboard video today and put in a.. how shall I say this, a radeon x300 (being on a tight budget and finding this one for really cheap I coudn't pass it up - at least temporarily so I dont have to deal with the onboard video anymore) - uninstalled the radeon xpress 200 from the display, turned off the pc, opened it up, put the pci-express x300 in, restarted, went to bios and selected under video type "pci express" - booted up, installed drivers, restarted. Everything seems fine, except the waves going on in the background. I dont remember them being there.

Anyone have an idea what it might be, or what may be causing it? I'd hate to think that I'm getting so old that they were always there and that I just didn't notice them with the onboard graphics and now I do.. any suggestions?

Also under display in device manager - the ATI Radeon x300 is listed twice - is that normal?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 10:13:42 PM »

maybe your monitor cat handle it? Are you using a LCD or a old style one or just a flat screen?

Maybe think about getting a new monitor. Thats all I can really think of, but then again, I dont know much about graphics cards or monitors.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 10:16:09 PM »

It's a flatscreen CRT monitor (compaq), probably a 2005 model since it came with my compaq pc bundle which I just got about a week ago. Practically brand new..
Just testing out AOE 3 on my new graphics card the waves are even more apparent, almost to the point of just not wanting to play anymore.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 11:12:03 PM »

Try adjusting your refesh rate....

Well...also..make sure there are no EMF sources right next to your monitor.  A fan, flourecent light, or other device with a motor in it.  That can mess with your tube and no amount of adjusting on your PC will fix it.  It is an external problem.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 11:17:15 PM »

Thanks - I'll have to try that. I think it was on 75 with the onboard and now it's on 85. I'm not even sure what refresh rate means but I'm assuming higher is better?

unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 01:17:31 AM »

Does that even do anything on a flat panel?  They don't 'refresh', since it's a static display.

I was going to suggest checking for any sources of EMI (electromagnetic interference), like a fan, or speakers, or something.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 01:41:55 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Does that even do anything on a flat panel?  They don't 'refresh', since it's a static display.

I was going to suggest checking for any sources of EMI (electromagnetic interference), like a fan, or speakers, or something.

He said it's a CRT.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 12:35:48 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Thanks - I'll have to try that. I think it was on 75 with the onboard and now it's on 85. I'm not even sure what refresh rate means but I'm assuming higher is better?

Higher is generally better, however both the video card and monitor need to support it. You may get a better picture with a lower refresh rate.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 10:29:51 AM »

Unfortunatley I had a monitor that did that. It`s in the closet now. Is still works fine, but that drove me NUTS :x . So I grabbed a new one and never looked back. I`m not saying that`s the same thing, just sharing my experience with you.

I keep my refresh rate at 85 and I`m happy with it. I can go higher, but I have no problem with 85. I go below that, and my eyes bleed... :shock: Well, not really, but it gives me a eyestrain and headaches etc.
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 11:05:00 PM »

OMG, I'm glad you said that.  I've been getting headaches, and just realized I didnt adjust the refresh on my monitor at work!

It was set at 60  :shock:
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 12:05:07 AM »

Ive been stuck at 60htz for 10 years. No wonder Im half blind. Oh well.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 01:49:32 AM »

The sad thing is I've had this problem often in the past.  I should have automatically thought to check it.

Since I made the change, I felt an almost instantaneous difference.  My headache is completely gone.

Fortunately, the office is switching over to all flat panels in a month or so.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 11:13:17 AM »

Lol guys. How the hell could you even look at 60hz? I HATE 60hz :twisted: . Heh.
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 07:39:26 AM »

I can't tell the difference, except that my head starts feeling like it is about to explode, "Scanners" style.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: