http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 11:11:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: water behind MacBook Pro monitor glass  (Read 1936 times)
hitbyambulance
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2010, 07:38:33 AM »

yeah, so a water bottle in my backpack leaked and got all over my work's MacBook Pro. the machine was in sleep mode and when i attempted to power it down, i noticed the large quantity of water behind the screen glass retard but the machine itself was operating normally. i managed to get it to power down and immediately turned the laptop on its side over a central air vent at a friend's house and am leaving it there overnight.

what else should be done for this? i had read about leaving it in an airtight bag with several cups of dried rice (!) to absorb the moisture. i have a few large desiccant gel packs also... also read about removing the back of the screen to let it airdry better.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 09:24:20 AM »

The rice will definitely do the trick... the problem is, if the water picked up any contaminants during the spill, and carried them behind the glass.

The lucky part is, if your mac generally stays pretty clean... most bottled water is distilled, and thus, no sediments/contaminants.

So just do the rice trick and you should be good to go. Even if there's a little bit left on the screen... at least it's a work computer.

I wouldn't bother taking it apart until after you've done the rice... no sense in it if it's not necessary.

Atomic
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 03:36:11 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on October 08, 2010, 09:24:20 AM

The lucky part is, if your mac generally stays pretty clean... most bottled water is distilled, and thus, no sediments/contaminants.

I think you mean filtered.  Typical bottled drinking water is definitely not distilled water.  That's something different.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 05:50:34 PM »

Is it one of the unibody MacBook Pros?

TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 12:22:22 AM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on October 08, 2010, 03:36:11 PM

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on October 08, 2010, 09:24:20 AM

I think you mean filtered.  Typical bottled drinking water is definitely not distilled water.  That's something different.

Actually I did mean distilled, but you're right in that most bottled water is filtered. I wasn't thinking it through.  Tired? frown

Atomic
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 05:05:51 AM »

yeah, it's a unibody MacBook.

I left the computer on with a few towels around it and running infinite python and shell scripts today. the system temperature widget read that was getting around 71C at times. i've now got the Mac sealed in a garbage bag and an open jar of uncooked rice. i am worrying about sediment being left behind the glass.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 08:44:35 AM »

rice-in-a-bag actually helped a bit. still a fair quantity of water behind the screen (and some worrisome-looking light diagonal 'streaks' in the screen), so before leaving work each day, i'm now sealing the laptop with a rice bowl in a garbage bag on my desk overnight, and will continue doing so for as long as necessary.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 08:56:17 PM »

Remember to keep the bag sealed in between sessions, and swap the rice out every couple of days for fresh/dry.

Atomic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: