http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 09:54:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want recommendations on a new case  (Read 2167 times)
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2007, 02:17:27 AM »

My motherboard is running pretty hot. I have an Asus P5N-E SLI which is a 650i chipset and it's running at 55C. I even replaced the stock passive heatsink with a Thermaltake copper heatsink with fan with Arctic Silver and it's still hot. When I take off my side panel and blow my desk fan in there, it cools down to a more respectable 35C. So, I'm pretty sure my old Antec Sonata case isn't cutting it. I'd like to know what cases provide great cooling to keep my motherboard cool. I already have a good power supply, Antec True Power 650W, so I'd like to get a case without a powersupply to save some money.

I looked at the Antec Nine Hundred and it looks pretty nice. Any other cases I should consider as well?
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 03:16:07 AM »

I like In-Win cases.

Check THIS ONE out unless you dont like Ferrari red.

Have you checked your PSU fan? I had one once that the fan blew INTO the case instead of out. I had to take it apart and flip the fan so that it blew out.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 03:25:07 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 04:25:23 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 30, 2007, 03:16:07 AM

I like In-Win cases.

Check THIS ONE out unless you dont like Ferrari red.

Have you checked your PSU fan? I had one once that the fan blew INTO the case instead of out. I had to take it apart and flip the fan so that it blew out.

Was that a Xion SuperNova PSU?  The reason I ask is I was thinking of getting one for my new computer but according to the reviews on Newegg the fan blows inside the case instead of out.  If it's a big issue I may have to consider another PSU.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 05:19:36 AM »

Not a huge fan of red even if it is going to be sitting under my desk the whole time. What's that side vent thing for? Not sure if my Zalman CPU fan would fit with that there.

My PSU doesn't blow air in, but regardless, my northbridge just runs really, really hot. No idea why.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 06:27:32 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm a huge fan of this case. The only way you could get cooler is via water cooling. And it's all silent, too.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 07:00:29 AM »

Was that a Xion SuperNova PSU?  The reason I ask is I was thinking of getting one for my new computer but according to the reviews on Newegg the fan blows inside the case instead of out.  If it's a big issue I may have to consider another PSU.

I dontrecall now. Its been many years.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 01:03:42 AM »

The Antec 900 is awesome. I also have a coolermaster c390 or something like that and I just love it. Its much sleaker and leaner than the Antec, but it is cool and works great!
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 10:41:18 AM »

Antec Solo FTW

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=18500

Quiet, cool, and far better looking than the gaudy 900 monstrosity smile
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 10:43:34 AM by Laner » Logged
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 08:39:50 PM »

The CoolerMaster CM690 is the best budget case in existence if what you're after is pure cooling and more understated looks than the 900.

There's even a fan spot on the back of the motherboard tray that cools the CPU from the bottom. There's also the second side slot for a 120mm fan that would put a lot of air around the NB/SB areas.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 08:41:39 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 10:28:45 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on January 01, 2008, 08:39:50 PM

The CoolerMaster CM690 is the best budget case in existence if what you're after is pure cooling and more understated looks than the 900.

There's even a fan spot on the back of the motherboard tray that cools the CPU from the bottom. There's also the second side slot for a 120mm fan that would put a lot of air around the NB/SB areas.

Thats my case!! Thats what I was trying to recommend! While not nearly as aggressive and cool looking as the Antec 900 I used to have, I honestly think this might be a better case. I have half the number of fans, and its super cool.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 04:20:47 AM »

Quote from: Laner on January 01, 2008, 10:41:18 AM

Antec Solo FTW

I look at this, and compare it to my 900, and I have to ask:

Where's the intake fans? The reason why the 900 stays so cool is because of the insane amount of airflow the case moves around (and it does so nearly silently). This...who knows.

And the CM690 looks like a nice, beefy case. I think the intake vent on the other side of the motherboard is a bit overkill (how exactly does that help with airflow?), but it's an interesting idea at least.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 09:33:27 PM »

What everyone else has said. I _just_ built a Antec 900 & just love the thing. Insane amount of airflow. My new favorite case ever. The huge blowhole out the top is beyond perfect, especially as I keep it under a desk. Great case, you wouldn't regret.

Bad news purchasewise is that Microcenter has had it at a great price entire month of Dec (either $59 or $69 after $20 rebate), but those deals are now DOA (back up to full price of $129, I just checked for ya). But also means places are starting to putting it on sale, so I bet if you're patient & give it a month or 2 bet you'll find somebody major (Newegg online, or a Frys or Microcenter for B&M) having a real good deal on it.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 10:14:19 PM »

Quote from: Destructor
And the CM690 looks like a nice, beefy case. I think the intake vent on the other side of the motherboard is a bit overkill (how exactly does that help with airflow?), but it's an interesting idea at least.

It's not meant to help airflow in the main section of the case. It's just meant to move cooler air in behind the motherboard. Read some reviews and benchmarks. It helps a fair amount on CPU temperatures and certainly doesn't hurt the Northbridge/Southbridge temps any.

namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 07:18:50 PM »

Thanks for the replies all! I ended up going with the Antec 900. I wasn't patient enough to wait until a sale, but my dad wanted to get it for me for a Christmas gift, so score! biggrin

I have to say that this case is really nice. I looked at other cases at Fry's Electronics and I took a long look at that Coolermaster case. I'm not sure what really drew me to the Antec 900, but I'm glad that I got it. My motherboard temp is 20C cooler than it was in my old Antec Sonata case.  thumbsup
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 07:55:58 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 02, 2008, 04:20:47 AM

Antec Solo FTW

I look at this, and compare it to my 900, and I have to ask:

Where's the intake fans? The reason why the 900 stays so cool is because of the insane amount of airflow the case moves around (and it does so nearly silently). This...who knows.
There are two 92mm fan mounts just below the external drive bays:

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=937&pageID=2396
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 08:01:19 PM by Laner » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 10:40:45 PM »

I was just looking inside my computer case from 1994. there are no fans at all. No cpu fan or northbridge or case fans. neat smile

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 01:38:05 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on January 02, 2008, 10:14:19 PM

Quote from: Destructor
It's not meant to help airflow in the main section of the case. It's just meant to move cooler air in behind the motherboard. Read some reviews and benchmarks. It helps a fair amount on CPU temperatures and certainly doesn't hurt the Northbridge/Southbridge temps any.

Very interesting. Seems crazy enough that it would work quite well (and apparently does according to reviews). Cool.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 02:35:46 PM »

I actually need some more fans for my CM690. ThinJ what kind should I get? I only ask you here since I haven't been on SteamTalk in forever to ask you there.
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 05:01:15 PM »

Some of the reviews at newegg complain that the cm690 has problems accommodating pata drives. Can anyone comment on this?
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 11:24:10 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 04, 2008, 02:35:46 PM

I actually need some more fans for my CM690. ThinJ what kind should I get? I only ask you here since I haven't been on SteamTalk in forever to ask you there.

I really like the Scythe S-Flex fans with the Fluid Dynamic Bearings. They come in a couple of different RPM/CFM/dB ratings. They're quieter than pretty much everything else out there and move just as much air at equivalent rpms.

You'll pay for them though. The 120mm's are $15ish a piece most places.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 05:12:27 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on January 04, 2008, 11:24:10 PM

I really like the Scythe S-Flex fans with the Fluid Dynamic Bearings. They come in a couple of different RPM/CFM/dB ratings. They're quieter than pretty much everything else out there and move just as much air at equivalent rpms.

I agree with that suggestion. I use one as my processor fan, oddly enough (along with a ginormous CPU heat spreader). Due to the fact that I OC my processor, it's also always running at 100% speed. I never hear it run.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 02:46:39 PM »

Antec Solo FTW

Says the guy with an Avatar of Eddie Murphy in an Elvis wig wearing a pink sports coat......... retard nod icon_wink

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on January 04, 2008, 11:24:10 PM

I don't mind paying for 3-4 of them as long as they aren't as terribly flimsy as the Coolermaster 120mm ones I bought last month-the wires were so cheap and so poorly soldered that they tore off the fans on half them while plugging them in or while closing up the case. I was not amused, and the store refused to give me a refund. I will order these soon thanks.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 03:07:20 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on January 07, 2008, 02:46:39 PM

Antec Solo FTW

Says the guy with an Avatar of Eddie Murphy in an Elvis wig wearing a pink sports coat......... retard nod icon_wink
You're just upset that you weren't "Kicked In The Butt By Love"
GGIronSkull
Gaming Trend Reader

Up the Irons!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 06:37:57 PM »

In the process of building my new Rig and got the 900 also.   So far so good, and at $80 from newegg after rebates, I am loving it.

Computer-A-Thon:   C.A.T.

3 days of sleep deprivation, Thai Food, and trash talking, all centered around making the network gods smile upon us so that we may smoke, frag, hack, kerplode, and otherwise beat upon your friends in a basement in Idaho.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: