http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 06:55:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using old primary drive on new computer as extra internal drive?  (Read 503 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2014, 01:04:17 AM »

I'm getting a new Windows computer with an SSD and a hard drive. I'm toying around with the idea of taking the primary hard drive out of my old computer and installing it as an extra internal drive in the new rig. How much of a pain in the ass is this? Also, if this isn't a good option, would it be more practical to get an external hard drive housing kit and use the old drive in that? Thanks for any help icon_biggrin

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 01:09:24 AM »

If you have a slot for it, it's as much of a pain in the ass as opening the case, holding the drive in place assuming it doesnt have anything to do that, and screwing in four screws (firm, not tight). Some cases are even tool-less.

Depending on the drive size/type, it may or may not be worth it to you. You need to know what type it is, and whether your new comp has an open connector for it. Power connector too...

Any details on the drive?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 01:37:57 AM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on February 09, 2014, 01:09:24 AM

Any details on the drive?

According to the specs, the old drive is a 1TB Serial ATA-300 HDD (SAMSUNG HD502HI). My new rig uses a AsusŪ Z87 Plus motherboard.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:56:32 AM by jztemple2 » Logged

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 04:47:54 AM »

Given that you're not listing a bunch of other stuff, you should be fine.

z87 has 6 sata slots attached straight to the pch.

ssd
old hard drive
optical drive

leaves three open, plus secondary controller gives 2 additional.

if you don't have an additional 3.5 bay open... put the hard drive in that, and lay the ssd on the floor of the case. (a zip tie in the right spot would hold it down more securely)... no moving parts in an ssd means it wont vibrate/shift around, unless the case is in motion.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 05:00:34 AM »

Ah, I found the other info, the bays:

Three 3.5" HDD/Dual SSD Bays
One 2.5" SSD Bay
Three 5.25" Bays

I'm knee deep in extra bays, so I should be able to mount it without having to leave the SSD hanging, so to speak icon_wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: